Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2010, 18:17   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
There is a Rover, not sure if its a P5 or P6 with Rashed Bhai in Hyderabad, probably the only one left in Hyderabad.

I think there are pictures of it on the thread about his cars
Wasif bhai, the back of the car is visible in one of the photos and its a P4.

Its amazing where all the P5's have disappeared! I would think hyderabad would have atleast one.
Old 27th September 2010, 18:51   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Wasif bhai, the back of the car is visible in one of the photos and its a P4.

Its amazing where all the P5's have disappeared! I would think hyderabad would have atleast one.
I think it is a P5 as it is almost identical to the picture posted by Predaotrwheelz and it doesnt have a cyclopes light in front

I think this is the picture I put up of its rear, it was in a rather awkward position that wasn't condusive to good photography.

The second picture shows its dash
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage and Classic Rovers-rb6.jpg  

Vintage and Classic Rovers-rb49.jpg  

Last edited by wasif : 27th September 2010 at 19:02.
Old 27th September 2010, 19:24   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Interesting. I actually pulled out the manual now and had a re-read of the "where we are" section. The following countries of the subcontinent are listed, along with dealership names and addresses.
India - DEWARS GARAGE & ENGINEERING WORKS, 4 Council House Street, Calcutta, India. Telephone 3226-7.
These were quite many on Kolkata streets till the early 1980's as compared to any other city in India.These were treated like any other car then. But now these are too rare and hard to find.Even there were many Morris Minors and Hindusthan 14's in Kolkata surviving till then.
Dewars Garage was selling Ambassadors and now I guess they have some other brand (perhaps GM) to sell, as there are only two Amby dealers in Kolkata city - M/s Shah Automobiles and Austin Distributors at Chowringhee.
Old 27th September 2010, 21:09   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
These were quite many on Kolkata streets till the early 1980's as compared to any other city in India.These were treated like any other car then. But now these are too rare and hard to find.Even there were many Morris Minors and Hindusthan 14's in Kolkata surviving till then.
Dewars Garage was selling Ambassadors and now I guess they have some other brand (perhaps GM) to sell, as there are only two Amby dealers in Kolkata city - M/s Shah Automobiles and Austin Distributors at Chowringhee.

Dewars has been into Maruti now for quite some time now. There were a few Rovers lying around in their mill but none left now. Even the 1957 Chevy Bel air that comes to the Vintage car rally in Kolkata is from Dewars. It was lying there for many years and then a few years back the present owner had gone and seen the car with my father and decided to pick it up.
Old 28th September 2010, 07:34   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are you aware of any other P5's besides the ones already posted on this thread (thats mine and the one in Madras)? I am writing an article for the Rover P5 club in England about P5's in India and can't seem to find any!
There was another P5, probably a B, being restored by Indrojit's dad. Perhaps he can give you a lead on that car.

OT - When is the next batch of pics on the MB Museum thread coming up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
I think it is a P5 as it is almost identical to the picture posted by Predaotrwheelz and it doesnt have a cyclopes light in front
The picture posted by Predatorwheelz is a P4, and so is the car in your picture.
Old 28th September 2010, 16:32   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
There was another P5, probably a B, being restored by Indrojit's dad. Perhaps he can give you a lead on that car.

OT - When is the next batch of pics on the MB Museum thread coming up?
Well I dont think Indrojit has pics of the completed car. I remember it had the Rostyle wheels.

I'll post the pics tomorrow :-)

Last edited by the mole : 28th September 2010 at 16:33.
Old 28th September 2010, 19:11   #22
BHPian

I can't remember if I mentioned this earlier anywhere on the forum, there was an yellow P5 in one of the Amitabh Bachchan movies - Don/Trishul/Deewar/any one of those smuggler-cop-type flicks. It broke my heart to see it getting severely banged up by the other car in the chase.

There's a nice P5 presently in Delhi. It was a nice green colour when originally brought here from Madras, very original car. Has been painted black and quite nicely done up, though for some reason I liked the time-scarred but original look more.

The same gentleman also brought a very, very original P4 to Delhi from Meerut. There have been a few other 'Aunty Rovers' (P4s) sighted here over the years, but dunno where they're now. The flurry of wheeling-dealing over the last decade and a half has simply left me bewildered about the existence of the once familiar machines. And cities like Calcutta have also been mercilessly plundered. Marques like Rover, that once roamed the streets of Calcutta like natives, are now almost extinct there!

There also used to be a beige-coloured P6 (2000TC) in South Delhi that I last saw 16 years ago.

A P5 has been an all-time number one on my wish-list. And if the genie is really indulgent I'd ask for the P5B Coupe!
Old 29th September 2010, 00:57   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
A P5 has been an all-time number one on my wish-list. And if the genie is really indulgent I'd ask for the P5B Coupe!
You may be too late! Apparently the Ro-style wheels on the car that was restored in Indrojit's garage came from the scrap market in Calcutta! So i am quite sure there was a P5B there sometime in the past but now scrapped and I do hear rumours of one in Bombay but never seen one.
Old 29th September 2010, 02:07   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Apparently the Ro-style wheels on the car that was restored in Indrojit's garage came from the scrap market in Calcutta! So i am quite sure there was a P5B there sometime in the past but now scrapped
Hey Amol, you know what? These Rostyle wheels were used by a few other car makers also, mostly British though. So the donor for the ones from the scarp market in Cal needn't necessarily have been a P5!
Old 8th November 2010, 08:27   #25
BHPian

There is a green Rover P4 KA reg in Miramar Goa
Took the photo of the car last time i saw it but lost it somewhere
Old 4th January 2011, 09:01   #26
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Pics: MG cars in India

Saw this immaculately maintained MG Rover sedan in Panaji market, Goa. It had KA registration plates.
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage and Classic Rovers-dsc04468.jpg  

Vintage and Classic Rovers-dsc04469.jpg  

Vintage and Classic Rovers-dsc04470.jpg  

Vintage and Classic Rovers-dsc04472.jpg  

Vintage and Classic Rovers-dsc04473.jpg  

//M is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2011, 09:57   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Saw this immaculately maintained MG Rover sedan in Panaji market, Goa. It had KA registration plates.
That is a rover p4 80 model from around 1959-60, MG and Rover came togather around year 2000 only.

In a month back episode of Chop Shop (by Bangladeshi car designer Leepu). They chopped the very same car for a client.

There is a dedicated thread on the Rover cars here.
Old 4th January 2011, 10:15   #28
Senior - BHPian

awsome Rover ....love he colour shade and its well kept too.

The Rover fans here will have a great time with this find. Surprisingly its not pictured here earlier
Old 4th January 2011, 10:30   #29
Senior - BHPian

Rover P4

Wow now thats a very well maintained Rover P4! late one too. I think its most likely to be a West Bengal car that has moved to Bangalore. I also hear that a car P5 or P5? has been acquired for a collection in Mumbai from the South. I wonder which car that could be.

Last edited by Amartya : 5th January 2011 at 12:13. Reason: Moved the relevant posts from MG to Rover thread.
Old 4th January 2011, 12:43   #30
BHPian

Re: Rover P4

Quote:
Wow now thats a very well maintained Rover P4! late one too. I think its most likely to be a West Bengal car that has moved to Bangalore. I also hear that a car P5 or P5? has been acquired for a collection in Mumbai from the South. I wonder which car that could be.

Anyways I think the moderators can move this to the Rover thread.
Amol,

I think this may be the P4 that used to belong to Sanjoy Ghosh from Kolkata. Very nice car with great interiors.

Regards
Prithvi

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks