Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2011, 17:15   #1471
BHPian

RE: Waziristan And The March to Razmak - The North West Frontier, 1936

1st Picture of convoy from Bannu to Razmak (76 Miles) (1936)

2nd Picture is of Mir Ali to Razmak

and last Picture of 2 boys of Qabeela Mehsud, 1937, Armour car in the background, which brand is this?
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-motor-transport-convoy-razmak-mir-ali.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-mahsud-boys-1937.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 7th January 2011, 17:17   #1472
BHPian

re: Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars

1st Ladhay with british soldiers
2nd 48th Razmak Camp
3rd Convoy halt Tarcol
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-ladhay-british-soldiers.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-enroute-razmak-thal-camp.-48th-regiment.jpg  

Attached Images

Basharatu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2011, 17:20   #1473
BHPian

1- Convoy to Wazirstan
2- Convoy 1937
3 - Ladhay 1937
4- Armour car in Razmak
5- wazirstan
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-convoy-wazirstan.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-1937-convoy.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-1937-ladhay.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-armoured-car-razmak.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-armoured-card-wazirstan.jpg  

Old 7th January 2011, 17:22   #1474
BHPian

The picture with carts is of Hyderabad Sindh 1924 & last picture is of the same era but I am not sure if its Lahore or Karachi

Thanks, Basharat
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-hyderabad-sindh-1924.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 7th January 2011, 23:41   #1475
Senior - BHPian

Re: First Ever Across The Himalayas By Motor Transport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basharatu View Post
Hi, I am a new member here, I was following this superb thread 4 months back and then was away from all forums due to over load of work. I did Burzil Pass 14200 feet in Last July on my unimog and before that did some research on who did it first on transport & found these photos.
Superb pics Basharatu !!
Isn't that a Citroen Half-Track ? This vehicle had made some legendary expeditions through extremely trying and trecherous terrain..
Old 8th January 2011, 13:33   #1476
Senior - BHPian

Any guesses on the make of the car? And the building? These appear like well heeled gents, maybe professors in front of some college like Elphinstone, Xaviers, or managers of some enterprise in front of an office building in Ballard Pier? The pillar with 4 columns is stricking.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-op-stude-3.jpg  

Old 8th January 2011, 14:21   #1477
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Any guesses on the make of the car?
Studebaker? Possibly of the late 40s?
Old 8th January 2011, 16:51   #1478
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi, I am a new member here, I was following this superb thread 4 months back and then was away from all forums due to over load of work. I did Burzil Pass 14200 feet in Last July on my unimog and before that did some research on who did it first on transport & found these photos. Trans Asiatic Harrdt-Cintrogen Expedition in crossing the 14,000 ft high Burzil and other passes between Srinagar and Gilgit and in 1931.
Hi Basharatu,
Interesting pics.
In your first lot there is a Citroen halftrack, also known as Kergesse and discussed in the beyond borders old photos thread.
Adolphe Kergesse (1879-1943) was a Frenchman living in Russia and was a chauffeur with the Czar of Russia. There he developed these half track vehicles which were good for mobility on snow and other difficult terrain. There were many who developed similar systems but Kergesse was most successful. There is still a Rolls-Royce halftrack which was used by Lenin lying in a Russian Museum.
After the russian revolution Kergesse went back to France where he developed these half tracks for Citroen, and these are the most famous ones. They were used here as seen in these pictures, and also in the Sahara Desert. Wonder if they were ever in India.
Seeing the other pictures, even in the 1920/30's the army had an arrow on the number plates, they still do. The armoured tank vehicles are mostly Rolls-Royce, but not all were Rolls, some were Crossley, and others too.
The registration on the bus starting with FP is a civilian vehicle, registered in Frontier Province (FP).
Just today I was showing someone my album of old pictures with cars in them of Bombay, and I have one of the Afghan War Memorial located in Ballard Estate, it is of 1870. A tough terrain over there and still not much change. The locals look just the same, kept poor in their feudal systems.
You have mentioned that you own a Unimog, is it the same which was pictures in Pakwheels in a rally held about two months or so ago? That seems to have been left behind by some traveller. Very nice offroader, na?
Looking forward to more pictures. From which publication did you get the first lot from?

Cheers harit
(images taken from a Mercedes club magazine purchased on news stand)
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-kregesse-01.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-kregesse-02.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-kregesse-04.jpg  

Last edited by harit : 8th January 2011 at 16:58.
Old 8th January 2011, 23:50   #1479
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any guesses on the make of the car? And the building? These appear like well heeled gents, maybe professors in front of some college like Elphinstone, Xaviers, or managers of some enterprise in front of an office building in Ballard Pier? The pillar with 4 columns is stricking.

Cheers harit
Hey Harit,
The car's possibly a Studey.. Shyam's right.

The location looks more like a bungalow on Napean Sea Road or Warden Road - look at the column design - It's probably in a porch.. The clean floor suggests it's a porch.

And thanks for the superb info on the Citroen Half-Tracks.. manna from heaven for this Citroen buff.

Last edited by SuperSelect : 8th January 2011 at 23:51.
Old 9th January 2011, 00:30   #1480
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Cheers harit
I am confident this is the Taj mahal hotel gate at the sea side. Heres a confirmation for the style. One of the gentleman looks familiar.

http://architecture.about.com/od/asi...TajHotel_3.htm

The car looks like a studebaker champion to me, wait it has sucide doors. Hmmm

Last edited by the mole : 9th January 2011 at 00:34.
Old 9th January 2011, 14:15   #1481
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The pillar with 4 columns is stricking.
Nice one

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
I am confident this is the Taj mahal hotel gate at the sea side.

Look at the reflection in the car, there's nothing in front of them but sea!

cya
R
Rehaan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2011, 15:18   #1482
Senior - BHPian

STUDEBAKER outside the Taj Mahal Hotel Mumbai.

Cherrs

Quote:

Cheers harit
Old 10th January 2011, 09:35   #1483
BHPian

Thank You Harit & Super Select. Impressive Knowledge on Kergesse, would love to see that halftrack rolls-royce.

The Razmak pictures were taken from Northamptonshire regiment collection. Razmak is 140 Miles from my home town on in the Indus River Bed, it was a well established base back in 1930s but unfortunately not much attention is paid on the development of that area due the feudal/kabeela system and the road to Razmak still requires a 4x4 to climb & situation in wazirstan hasn't improved much in last 3 decades.

Yes I am on pakwheels, there are very few restored UNIMOGs in Pakistan, mine is green 421 U600 series and black is owned by my friend in Lahore same series with hardtop & both of them retired from Military . Below is the link of our last summers expedition, we did Burzil Pass, the ancient route Srinagar Butogah Pass and Babusar Pass.

Team UNIMOG Punga 2010 @Elevation 14200ft–Via Babusar-Sheosar–Burzil–Minimerg–Butogah - PakWheels Forums

Quote:
Hi Basharatu,
Interesting pics.
In your first lot there is a Citroen halftrack, also known as Kergesse and discussed in the beyond borders old photos thread.
Adolphe Kergesse (1879-1943) was a Frenchman living in Russia and was a chauffeur with the Czar of Russia. There he developed these half track vehicles which were good for mobility on snow and other difficult terrain. There were many who developed similar systems but Kergesse was most successful. There is still a Rolls-Royce halftrack which was used by Lenin lying in a Russian Museum.
After the russian revolution Kergesse went back to France where he developed these half tracks for Citroen, and these are the most famous ones. They were used here as seen in these pictures, and also in the Sahara Desert. Wonder if they were ever in India.
Seeing the other pictures, even in the 1920/30's the army had an arrow on the number plates, they still do. The armoured tank vehicles are mostly Rolls-Royce, but not all were Rolls, some were Crossley, and others too.
The registration on the bus starting with FP is a civilian vehicle, registered in Frontier Province (FP).
Just today I was showing someone my album of old pictures with cars in them of Bombay, and I have one of the Afghan War Memorial located in Ballard Estate, it is of 1870. A tough terrain over there and still not much change. The locals look just the same, kept poor in their feudal systems.
You have mentioned that you own a Unimog, is it the same which was pictures in Pakwheels in a rally held about two months or so ago? That seems to have been left behind by some traveller. Very nice offroader, na?
Looking forward to more pictures. From which publication did you get the first lot from?

Cheers harit
(images taken from a Mercedes club magazine purchased on news stand)
Old 10th January 2011, 11:14   #1484
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any guesses on the make of the car? And the building? These appear like well heeled gents, ............... The pillar with 4 columns is stricking. Cheers harit
Thanks all for posting, the car is indeed a Studebaker, and it is a Bullet Nose! Amol recognised the building, the way some of us can recognise a car by seeing just a part of it, Amol can recognise a building by seing just a portion of it. The gentlemen do look familiar, but who are they?
Maybe Kasli can drive up in his Stude and take a similar picture. You should carry a copy of this photo, or they will have suspicions. Below is another photo of the same car, now all is clear.

Quote:
The Razmak pictures were taken from Northamptonshire regiment collection. Razmak is 140 Miles ..................Yes I am on pakwheels, there are very few restored UNIMOGs in Pakistan, mine is green 421 U600 series and black is owned by my friend in Lahore same series with hardtop & both of them retired from Military . Below is the link of our last summers expedition, we did Burzil Pass, the ancient route Srinagar Butogah Pass and Babusar Pass.
Since the Pak army did have Unimogs, there must be quite a few around in Pakistan. But there is another model shown in pictures in the vintage section. At a recent event which they had, a brown/beige bigger sized Unimog is seen. As far as India is concerned, there is one rusting with an offroader who hopefully will restore that. I do not know of any others, maybe there is one or the other lying around somewhere. Apparently Air India had them, how many and what happened to them I do not know.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-op-stude-4.jpg  

Old 10th January 2011, 12:00   #1485
BHPian

Pak Army did acquired 421 variant which was the smaller version of mogs as troops carrier and ambulance, the 1 shown in VCCCP thread is also 421, it looks bigger due to ambulance cab in the back and hardtop cabin which is slightly wider. Later on they acquired 2.5 tonners 416/406 series which are heavier than ours and currently being auctioned but due to lack of knowledge on Unimog's capability not even 1% of them are restored.

It would be off-topic but I do have Merc's factory picture of 70s when they were assembling 421 U600 for us and picture of my mog when it was beige in Sharda - Kashmir on the river bed of Neelam River/Kishan Ganga. They are indeed very rare in India & I would love to help the owners there to restore them!

Regards
Basharat

Quote:
Thanks all for posting, the car is indeed a Studebaker, and it is a Bullet Nose! Amol recognised the building, the way some of us can recognise a car by seeing just a part of it, Amol can recognise a building by seing just a portion of it. The gentlemen do look familiar, but who are they?
Maybe Kasli can drive up in his Stude and take a similar picture. You should carry a copy of this photo, or they will have suspicions. Below is another photo of the same car, now all is clear.

Since the Pak army did have Unimogs, there must be quite a few around in Pakistan. But there is another model shown in pictures in the vintage section. At a recent event which they had, a brown/beige bigger sized Unimog is seen. As far as India is concerned, there is one rusting with an offroader who hopefully will restore that. I do not know of any others, maybe there is one or the other lying around somewhere. Apparently Air India had them, how many and what happened to them I do not know.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-dscn1523.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-production-u600-militr-b.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks