Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2010, 21:12   #1156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
What car is Rajesh Khanna driving? This is during the shooting for the movie - Maha Chor
Thats a 1960 Chrysler New Yorker Convertible. If im correct there was only one such car surviving in the era of this film. If im right (impossible to tell in a B&W pic but this car was orange in colour)I think it was also featured in The Film Don or Dharmatma, im not sure which film in a sequence where there are a few cars on the Beach/Sand.

See the resemblance
. Of course the pointed horn button or steering boss is not original.

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-rajesh-khana.jpg
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-1960-chrysler-new-yorker.jpg

Quote:
A VW Van and an American Sedan during the shooting of Sholay
I have seen Both Dharmendra and Amitabh Bacchan intheor VAns. Amitabh had a Red and Black split screen and Dharmendra had a White Splitty too. This could be anyone's but it is a Splitty. The American car looks like a Ford Falcon or something. Amitabh was very fond of American cars and is known to have owned quite a few of them Yank Tanks.
At oen time the VW van ruled roost inthe film industry. Almost everyone who is anyone in Bollywood had one. It served as their private quarters and almost always had a sleeping arrangement for them.

Quote:
BML 4778 Dodge / Plymouth. Does this one survive today?
The actor is Pradeep Kumar. Actress Bina's Father and yesteryear's superstar. Remember Shahjehan with the beautiful Bina Rai? I remember seeing it on TV when i was a kid.
Old 23rd March 2010, 21:38   #1157
BHPian

Hi everyone,

Here's a photo of an unidentified Rolls Royce, with my father's elder sister sitting in front when she was a toddler. I am guessing the time is sometime during World War II as one of the headlamps of the car has a war-time shutter sort of cover. Pity the top part of the photo seems to have got over-exposed, making it all the more dificult to identify the car.

Regards
mbz180
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-rolls_3.jpg  

mbz180 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2010, 21:51   #1158
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I know an identical (dieselised) car that I remember having the regn. BML 4788 - must reconfirm!
PS - lovely finds
Pics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
The white building appearing in two pics.....? I wonder. could it be the Asiatic Library at Old Customs?
Looks to be around there.

Quote:
The two gents on some sea front where one can see steamers belching their smoke is definitely not Bombay or Madras or Calcutta. At no time did/does the weather in these places warrant/ed wearing layers of clothing. Maybe somewhere abroad.
Confirmed to be Kuwait with Kuwait Oil Company rigs in the background somewhere.

Quote:
The college group pic, mast probably the Wilson or Xavier's college, as they have those arched driveways. Then again it could be the University and by the looks of the age in the group, it looks more like a batch of teachers/professors posing rather than students.
That's Pune University, captioned in the picture.

Quote:
Love the pics of the Baba. Loves his cars, his people, travels in style (by air back then and in a Merc), and is camera friendly Loves pointing at people, Pointer Baba.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Thats a 1960 Chrysler New Yorker Convertible. If im correct there was only one such car surviving in the era of this film. If im right (impossible to tell in a B&W pic but this car was orange in colour)I think it was also featured in The Film Don or Dharmatma, im not sure which film in a sequence where there are a few cars on the Beach/Sand.
I am convinced.

Quote:
At oen time the VW van ruled roost inthe film industry. Almost everyone who is anyone in Bollywood had one. It served as their private quarters and almost always had a sleeping arrangement for them.
Somehow the van in the pics appears to be a bay window. The picture is slightly unclear.

Quote:
The actor is Pradeep Kumar. Actress Bina's Father and yesteryear's superstar. Remember Shahjehan with the beautiful Bina Rai? I remember seeing it on TV when i was a kid.
Agreed, it has a Bollywood connection, the picture doesn't have a caption on Picasa. I'll add that as a comment.
Old 24th March 2010, 01:24   #1159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Before I call it a day and start a boring Monday morning, here's some drool stuff.

All pictures credit - Picasa Web Albums - Elavanthi - Elavanthi Chr...

Colaba Bombay 1951

Bombay 1951

Bombay Churchgate - 1951

Bombay 1951
Colaba 1951 look more like the Flora Fountain to VT road, Dadabhai Novroji Road. That did have a tram running in the middle, that device in the centre is a tram. Colaba had them too, but such buildings?

Bombay 1951 and 2 pictures with Regal area and Churchgate between them is definitely the Tata Villa, today owned by Deutsche Bank, next to Sterling cinema.

Churchgate 1951, where in Churchgate? These cannopies are more like Ballard Pier office buildings, even today.

Quote:
Same picture here - Picasa Web Albums - Karen - Groups

I got a bunch of pictures posted below from - Picasa Web Albums - Karen

What car is Rajesh Khanna driving? This is during the shooting for the movie - Maha Chor

A VW Van and an American Sedan during the shooting of Sholay:

The cast and crew of the movie Munimji
Rajesh Khanna was driving this Chrysler convertible which I now believe is with Capt. in Hyderabad. Any idea, Wasif?
Every star worth his salt had a Baywindow, and they were also destroyed in movies en masse.
Poor MG, overloaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Yes....that is teh reason why there are so many WW2 Willys and Ford Jeeps around.

When they left the didn't take any of the Jeeps back with them instead sold thme on to the Indian Army and to private owners.
I believe that most of the trucks and Jeeps went to the Indian army, and later sold in disposal. In the 1970's and 1980's heavy transport was in these old American, British and even Mercedes trucks, they used to belch out smoke till tears came in your eyes. The British trucks were AEC, and in the end there was only one mechanic who could fix these. I know as my friends workshop used to do their machining. And Godrej and Vikroli had lots of them, they used to roam in their compound, and towards the end they just fell apart. Many Chevy trucks with the flat nose became tow vans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
Hi everyone, Here's a photo of an unidentified Rolls Royce, with my father's elder sister sitting in front when she was a toddler. I am guessing the time is sometime during World War II as one of the headlamps of the car has a war-time shutter sort of cover. Pity the top part of the photo seems to have got over-exposed, making it all the more dificult to identify the car. Regards mbz180
This Rolls appears to have a registration starting with a 'B', so this car survived in the 1940's. And yes, war time. Bumper also painted white.
Old 24th March 2010, 11:13   #1160
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to Harit, moralfibre, agpins everyone who for those lovely nostalgic pictures they took me back to those era where roads were wide and empty with real vintage/classics. Wow! Now my dreams are getting complete with the beautiful buildings apart from cars.

I wanted to ask why is that most of the pictures of road/chowrastas/highways are only cars,trucks and even man pulled carts but no bikes is it that motorcycles were not used much in those days but they were abundant na? thorow some Light please.
Old 24th March 2010, 11:35   #1161
BHPian

@ agspins : Picture #6 from the Kolkata series has an American flag on the building. Any idea what institution did it house?
Old 24th March 2010, 11:47   #1162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCUS_520i View Post
@ agspins : Picture #6 from the Kolkata series has an American flag on the building. Any idea what institution did it house?
That is American Red Cross Society building....
Old 24th March 2010, 14:59   #1163
Senior - BHPian

Absolutely right Harit, now it does look like the Bank building next to Sterling Cinema.
Old 24th March 2010, 16:01   #1164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
This Rolls appears to have a registration starting with a 'B', so this car survived in the 1940's. And yes, war time. Bumper also painted white.
Hi Harit,

I was also thinking that the first letter looked like "B". Also notice the different tread patterns on the front tires; the one on the left looks quite nice while the one on the right looks like a standard herringbone pattern. What about the white painted trim on the fenders, above the bumpers? They were chrome originally maybe?

Regards
mbz180
Old 24th March 2010, 16:18   #1165
BHPian

This thread is great ! What a good collection of car pictures. Great piece of work. Keep them up.

Last edited by yogeshnaik : 24th March 2010 at 16:19.
Old 24th March 2010, 16:18   #1166
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
What about the white painted trim on the fenders, above the bumpers? They were chrome originally maybe?
These were features common to war time cars, possibly the norm at the time. You will see many cars from Calcutta with the white strips, painted bumpers and one blacked out headlight. And somehow all the pictures we have with cars in this guise only came from Calcutta.
Old 25th March 2010, 23:03   #1167
BHPian

Originally Posted by mbz180

I think during the last days of WW2, when Japanese started bombing their were few air raids in Calcutta and 2 bombings in Madras, where they have monument near Anna Salai, Madras about this raids. May be if I am right, they were instructions for civilian cars to be painted white to look separate from military vehicles. That may be the reason most of photos of cars in Calcutta have this white strip on the fenders and body.
Old 26th March 2010, 10:04   #1168
Senior - BHPian

also the blackout light

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagepoint5 View Post
I think during the last days of WW2, when Japanese started bombing their were few air raids in Calcutta and 2 bombings in Madras, where they have monument near Anna Salai, Madras about this raids. May be if I am right, they were instructions for civilian cars to be painted white to look separate from military vehicles. That may be the reason most of photos of cars in Calcutta have this white strip on the fenders and body.
Interesting is the blackout light on the right side front light.
Old 26th March 2010, 14:34   #1169
Senior - BHPian

....And as Kasli pointed out, the blackout light could be the outcome of the WW rules

Coming to further photos from my archives:

The Contessas My family owned:

We had three in different periods, continuously.

The Blue one PIQ 6003 was the first Contessa we owned and fell in love with its mile crunching capabilities in sheer confort of the rear seat. The powerful Isuzu was a great upgrade from the slugfest four pot underpowered petrol it was initially offered with. No power steering was offered then.

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-img00377201003251424.jpg

The White one MH-O1G 5652 which we bought after the Blue was sold. This had power steering.....at my house in Lonavala, and in the Lake next to the House.

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-img00375201003251419.jpg

I remember i had had a foot injury trying to save a friend's child from falling off the stairs. The kid was fine, i had a huge leg injury.

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-img00376201003251419.jpg

We had another white one after this but i have no pics of that one.

The Datsun 1200 coupe. Note the 1968 Chevrolet Impala parked next to it. Only a glimpse can be seen

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-img00378201003251424.jpg

Pic taken at Lonavala's Biji's Ingleside Inn, the only good hotel in Lonavala back then. I remember taking so many holidays to Lonavala as a destination or as a en route stop to Mahableshwar.

The Datsun was bought from Balaji the famous South actor/producer/director from his house in Madras. He has two such cars, the red one was destroyed in the Film "Suraksha" starring Mithun. Im glad we bought this one else it would have met with the same fate. We sold it to someone years later who
took it to a local garage to tinker and it caught fire sometime after r=that when he tried to fiddle with the carb for want fo max fuel efficiency. Idiot!! i dont know where it went after that. The number earlier was MEV 5901 later changed to Bombay as MMH 4545
Old 26th March 2010, 19:07   #1170
BHPian

Vadiya, Gogi praa, ae changa lageya meinu! I like such "nostalgic family pictures" in this thread! Liked the Datsun 120Y coupe, we had one too, in ash white.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks