Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2009, 12:20   #586
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Are you sure the car in the second picture is an Austin. looks somewhat upmarket to me.
BMZ 6300 appears to be a Hindusthan 10 or the original Morris 10/4 which it was based on. Nice pictures, we had a similar Studebaker, BMZ 3482.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/916134-post174.html

Pictures probably shot at a hill station I should think. Lonavala/Mahabaleshwer perhaps.

Last edited by Technocrat : 30th July 2009 at 16:08.
Old 30th July 2009, 16:27   #587
BHPian

The second car is Hindustan-48 (Morris-10 M Series) very smooth running car my father used to have this model until 1978. I wish to get back one.

Cheers!

Sourced:
[COLOR=#008000]File:1946.morris.ten.series.m.arp.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/COLOR]
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-hindustan48.jpg  

Old 30th July 2009, 18:18   #588
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
BMZ 6300 appears to be a Hindusthan 10 or the original Morris 10/4 which it was based on. Nice pictures, we had a similar Studebaker, BMZ 3482.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/916134-post174.html

Pictures probably shot at a hill station I should think. Lonavala/Mahabaleshwer perhaps.
Alright,alright, trivia, Morris or Austin. High time someone identify the persons. Their history could be more interesting.

Cheers harit
Old 30th July 2009, 20:34   #589
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Looks more like Lonavala. The stone wall behind is what i think the one way bridge on the Tata lake. See the HT wires in the background. This is close to my house in Lonavala. At least i feel its Lonavala, maybe wrong too.

Quote:
Alright,alright, trivia, Morris or Austin. High time someone identify the persons. Their history could be more interesting.
Cheers harit
Exactly why this thread was started.. "...Our Family's Cars" it reads but there are very few Family cars or known cars here. For other cars which do not belong to someone we know, may i recommend another thread specifically titled "nostalgic photos of yesteryear cars. One may also post pics in that thread of such cars, the ownership of which, one is in the know of. A suggestion only.
Ciao
Old 30th July 2009, 21:31   #590
BHPian

This is HINDUSTAN 10,based on Morris10/4.I too posses the same model.Attaching photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-hindustan-2.jpg  

Old 30th July 2009, 22:07   #591
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Looks more like Lonavala. The stone wall behind is what i think the one way bridge on the Tata lake. See the HT wires in the background. This is close to my house in Lonavala. At least i feel its Lonavala, maybe wrong too.

Exactly why this thread was started.. "...Our Family's Cars" it reads but there are very few Family cars or known cars here. For other cars which do not belong to someone we know, may i recommend another thread specifically titled "nostalgic photos of yesteryear cars. One may also post pics in that thread of such cars, the ownership of which, one is in the know of. A suggestion only.
Ciao

Well that seems a good idea why not do something like that!
Old 31st July 2009, 10:15   #592
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post

Cheers harit
Harit, both the cars have a WIAA badge. Does WIAA retain history of registered members?
Old 31st July 2009, 13:20   #593
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Harit, both the cars have a WIAA badge. Does WIAA retain history of registered members?
my merc has one too but mostly they are not WIAA they are AA badges. Mine says automobile association Coventry. Now I have no idea if this was there from the cars inception or these were just period badges people liked to but on their grills in that era.
Old 31st July 2009, 15:27   #594
Distinguished - BHPian

Moralfibre - you raise a very valid point. AA records should have had a huge amount of members back in the day, practically the entire RTO. Whether all records survive, and more importantly, whether we can have access to them, who knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
my merc has one too but mostly they are not WIAA they are AA badges. Mine says automobile association Coventry. Now I have no idea if this was there from the cars inception or these were just period badges people liked to but on their grills in that era.
Interesting that you should have a Coventry badge, where my Standards came from. Tell you what - When i find an AA badge from Stuttgart, we can trade.
Old 31st July 2009, 16:11   #595
Senior - BHPian

This time a Hillman.
Back of the photo says "Lonavala"
Notice the 'lamby' work around the front headlight.
Also notice the AA badge. Probably it would have said
WESTERN INDIA
A A
Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-hillman-lona.jpg  

Old 31st July 2009, 17:18   #596
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Moralfibre - you raise a very valid point. AA records should have had a huge amount of members back in the day, practically the entire RTO. Whether all records survive, and more importantly, whether we can have access to them, who knows.
I really wish that these archives are put up on the world wide web unless a confidentiality clause has been put in place. Some senior members from WIAA can probably help achieve this.
Old 31st July 2009, 18:03   #597
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvis View Post
Harit, All

KAM 5559 would be a Karachi registration from 1969 or 1970. Humber were long dead by that time, so it could be some pre-partition number.

Just attaching a rear view picture of the Buick during Mr. Jinnah's tour of the NWFP in 1946.
Note the lack of a boot in these ultra rare convertible models.
OK, I attach a photo of the Humber. Please check and comment, also on the registration.

Regarding the convertible Buicks, well somehow there were a number in India. Most common were Roadmasters of 1937. In the world they are rare, but in India as R H Drives they are even rarer. There is the green one in Mumbai, one under restoration in Jaipur, one each in Delhi and near Mangalore. I am sure that one or two more will be found. These are the Roadmasters, smaller tourers are also around, I believe 2 in Jaipur.
I have one Roadmaster too, but basically missing its engine. The block is there, but little else.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-pak-humber.jpg  

Last edited by Rehaan : 31st July 2009 at 20:28. Reason: Posts united.
Old 31st July 2009, 23:02   #598
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
This time a Hillman.
Back of the photo says "Lonavala"
Notice the 'lamby' work around the front headlight.
Also notice the AA badge.
Does it also mention the date? I'm guessing this was taken at a later date than the 50s, going by the aeging work of the car, plus the guy's attire, which seems to lean more towards the early 70s (pre-bell-bottom/long collars)
Old 1st August 2009, 12:30   #599
Distinguished - BHPian

Since Karachi registrations are flavour of the month, look what I dug out from the family albums

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-russi.jpg

My grandfather with friends (?) in an early Land Rover, most likely in Karachi (he was from there).
Old 1st August 2009, 13:26   #600
Distinguished - BHPian

Earlier I had posted a picture of my great grand parents with a VW microbus, on a world tour they undertook in 1964. Must have been quite an experience at the time.

They hired this camper from a friend in the US, outfitted with kitchen, bath et al and drove across the States.

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-vw.jpg

Also found another picture of the trusty ol Amby that they undertook various trips in

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-z.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks