Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2009, 16:19   #571
Distinguished - BHPian

Harit has posted a most interesting photo here.

The Road Marking Mystery UPDATE: not pre-war ?) - PreWarCar.com
Old 27th July 2009, 20:35   #572
BHPian

Better Pics

@everyone- Glad i could add this one here. The place is called Presidency Club, not Premium Club. Are 60's jeep pics okay to post here?
The number of the 3rd car from the right hand bottom, facing forward is L 603. The first letter is illegible though.

@ Rehaan- I do have Picasa but that hangs while processing .CR2 files. Irfan View does it too but saves the pics at 2 MP...Manually downloading a RAW update solved the problem. Here are slightly better larger sized pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-img_2186.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-img_2212tbhpupl.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-test.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-test2.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-test3.jpg  

Last edited by Rehaan : 28th July 2009 at 20:09. Reason: Only the last pic got watermarked because its not a "thumbnail". Only the larger version of the other pics are watermarked.
Old 27th July 2009, 20:51   #573
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Hi. Are there any more pictures? Or where about could this photo have been taken?
I have many pictures of nice cars with the same problem as here, radiator covered. After all they focused on the persons, not the car.
unfortunately no other pictures are available, i am trying in the family as well to see if someone can identify the car.
Old 27th July 2009, 21:19   #574
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Harit has posted a most interesting photo here.

The Road Marking Mystery UPDATE: not pre-war ?) - PreWarCar.com
Karl this cannot be India, its obviously a LHD country scenario. It seems to be a freeway the car whizzing by is an exact opposite scenario to a RHD country.
Old 27th July 2009, 23:34   #575
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Karl this cannot be India, its obviously a LHD country scenario. It seems to be a freeway the car whizzing by is an exact opposite scenario to a RHD country.
Absolutely cannot be India. but if you visit the site and see the whole post, the revers side of the photo is also put up which made the whole thing interesting.
BTW, in prewarcar.com you cannot post, you have to send your contributions. And they put it up when they are able to, this took a very long time.
Old 29th July 2009, 16:07   #576
BHPian

Quote:
Now a gift to friends on Pakwheels. This is a Graham. And till date I do not know any example of this model in India, past or present. Interestingly, this photo came in a lot of photos related to Pakistan. The indications are another photo of a Humber KAM 5559 registered, a Willys showroom in Lahore at "The Mall", a street scene also at "The Mall" and a Singer Roadster also KAM registered. KAM is not Indian, perhaps Cedric or Mr. Mohsin can enlighten us. Or Alvis?
There is a Graham also on the Pakwheels site, by sheer chance there is a posibility that it is the same car, but no way to verify.

Enjoy, harit
Harit, All

As far as the marque of Graham-Paige goes there must have been quite a few in India, my Grand father had one around 1934/7 in Peshawar which he told me he had picked up from Delhi brand new.
So there must have been a dealer in India. He did not have the car for long because it had to make way for his Buick convertible, the Graham was sold to a friend who lived in Civil Lines in Jullandar in 1938 or so.
I do have two pictures of the car but am wary of posting family pictures on the net.
Mohsin has tried his best to save this particular Graham Paige but has had no luck for over 12 years now, but some owners can be very stubborn!!

KAM 5559 would be a Karachi registration from 1969 or 1970. Humber were long dead by that time, so it could be some pre-partition number.

Just attaching a rear view picture of the Buick during Mr. Jinnah's tour of the NWFP in 1946.
Note the lack of a boot in these ultra rare convertible models.
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-18.jpg  

Old 29th July 2009, 17:50   #577
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Absolutely cannot be India. but if you visit the site and see the whole post, the revers side of the photo is also put up which made the whole thing interesting.
BTW, in prewarcar.com you cannot post, you have to send your contributions. And they put it up when they are able to, this took a very long time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvis View Post
Harit, All

As far as the marque of Graham-Paige goes there must have been quite a few in India, my Grand father had one around 1934/7 in Peshawar which he told me he had picked up from Delhi brand new.
So there must have been a dealer in India. He did not have the car for long because it had to make way for his Buick convertible, the Graham was sold to a friend who lived in Civil Lines in Jullandar in 1938 or so.
I do have two pictures of the car but am wary of posting family pictures on the net.
Mohsin has tried his best to save this particular Graham Paige but has had no luck for over 12 years now, but some owners can be very stubborn!!

KAM 5559 would be a Karachi registration from 1969 or 1970. Humber were long dead by that time, so it could be some pre-partition number.

Just attaching a rear view picture of the Buick during Mr. Jinnah's tour of the NWFP in 1946.
Note the lack of a boot in these ultra rare convertible models.

There is one Graham Paige in delhi in running condition.It is a 1920 and perhaps the only one known in India.
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-untitled1.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-untitled2.jpg  

Old 29th July 2009, 18:33   #578
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Absolutely cannot be India.
Exactly my thoughts. I was wondering which part of Juhu road on those days had gardens on a slope. Not even present today. Does not look like India to me too.
Old 29th July 2009, 21:03   #579
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by boeuff View Post
Can anyone identify this car, it belonged to an ancestor of mine.
Family sources say that it was an Austin Tourer 1920, What do you think?
Old 29th July 2009, 22:21   #580

This Graham Paige is deteriorating day by day. The owner is a recluse and I have never been able to meet him. The car is parked outside a garage in Karachi and the garage owner doesnt care two hoots if the car is disintegrating. I have offered to bring it to my house for safe keeping with no change in ownership, but no result. I think I 'll make a stronger effort one of these days to save this rare car. Only 3800 were made in 1938 and this design contributed to the death of Graham Paige brand. This car is a supercharged one and all mechanicals are intact. I 'll try and put a recent pic soon to add to the pics above.

the last two pics of the Graham Paige were taken by me.

Last edited by Jaggu : 29th July 2009 at 22:54. Reason: Back to back posts. Thanks
Old 29th July 2009, 23:33   #581
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvis View Post
Harit, All

Hi Alvis,

Well, when I posted this pic I thought that Graham-Paige cars later became just Graham and so did not mention Graham Paige.
I suggest all have a look at Wikipedia on Graham-Paige. See, they show pictures of cars called just "Graham", but they do not say clearly when, and that too if, there was such a differentiation.
This car pictured by me and same model rotting in Pakistan were already rare cars when they were manufactured. And since the pictures I got have a Pakistan connection, I dare hope that 2+2=4. But we may never know.
There are atleast 5 survivors og Graham-Paige cars in India. There is a Graham 8 cylinder which came to the last VCCCI rally. Other than that, well there are more.
About a dealer of these cars in India, well they were actually assembled in India. I have a picture of the "works" and have obtained some stories how this came about and what were he results.
Can you also comment on "The Mall" in Lahore?

Cheers harit

And Mohsin, how are you? Remember you gave my Lancia a price?
Perhaps it may help if you send a message to the "recluse" that some Parsi friend were enquiring about the car. Perhaps there was a link!
Old 29th July 2009, 23:43   #582
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
OK guys. This photo came with a lot of police related photos.
These photos relate to Bombay police around 1958 to 1963. At that time Bombay police covered Belgaum to Ahmedabad.
Some hi-lights on the photos:
Bombay Police had Land Rovers, BML registered. Does anyone remember?
Bombay Police BML registered cars operated in Pune, Ahmedabad, Belgaum etc. These cities are mentioned on the vehicles.
Police made experiments with Dodge Trucks and Jeeps with an attachment to run on railway lines. Full set of demo pictures came.
Near Pune a motor workshop was established, there are photos of laying of the foundation stone and then the workshop where V8 engines are being repaired.
Bombay Police had Amphibian Jeeps and Amphibian Trucks! They were used in the police action according to the text behind some photos.
Bombay Police had speed boats, built somewhere in Colaba, these would put todays Police boats to shame. And they were used to implement prohibition, I think the devils water was being brought in from Goa.
Then there are pictures of police vehicle models, crudely made but inteesting nevertheless. I got one and a half albums full of these pics.
And all this history was sold by a pherrywalla!
Old 30th July 2009, 10:48   #583
Senior - BHPian

Guys.

The history of the Graham- Paige company is very interesting and involves a lot of well known names.It started life as the Paige- Detroit Company. It was bought out by the Graham brothers,Joseph, Robert & Ray, in 1927 and the name was changed to Graham-Paige.

They went on to form the Graham Brothers trucking Company which was later sold to the Dodge Brothers.

The G-P cars, mainly six and eight cylinder, were very durable and extensively raced. Their Blue Streak, the one that was just restored in India and is covered elsewhere was an innovarive car credited with many "industry firsts"

The went on to enter into an agreement with the Hupp Motor Company to build the Graham Hollywood around 1939 which was from the dies of the Cord 810/812 which the Hupp company bought off Cord when they closed in 1937 hense the resemblance to the Cord can be seen.

Now the company was always Graham-Paige but the cars from the Hupp colaraboration were called only Grahams.

The company's assets was later bought out by the Kaiser / Frazer duo who went on to form the Kaiser-Frazer car company. The production facilities of the old Graham company finally were sold to Chrysler corp.

After teh sale of its assets Graham-Paige went into the construction industry and in 62 they changed their name to Madison Square Gardens Company. Interestingly they are still in business.

As Harit and Mohsin Sb have pointed out these cars and specially the supercharged ones are extremely rare today. It is a pity that the owner of the Pak car is letting it die a cruel death.

About Grahams in India there are probably less than 10 cars extant today. There was one in Hyd which I never got to see but heard of which was sold by Dr. V Rao and friends.

I think Xoticars also has a Graham apart from the Mallya car and a few others. Maybe Harit has a few too !!

The shark nose car in the pictures was actually called the "Graham-Paige Model 97 Supercharged.

Below are a few picture from Concept Cars of a "1939 Graham-Paige Supercharged Convertible Coupe" which was sold at auction by RM.
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-39_graham_model_97_sc_dv06_mrm_04.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-39_graham_model_97_sc_dv06_mrm_05.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-39_graham_model_97_sprdchrd_dv06_mrmi02.jpg  

Old 30th July 2009, 11:22   #584
Senior - BHPian

These are pics of a Studebaker and an Austin. Does anyone recognise them? very disappointed that till date no persons have been identified from the Parsi photos put up till date.
The Austin later met with a serious accident with a 1946/47 Ford, both were severly damaged. In the lot there were also photos of a Buick of around 1938/39 from the rear, another photo of that Buick with heavy damage on one rear side. There are also pictures of a 1930's Styer with heavy accident damage.
Any clues who these folks could be?
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-bawa-1.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-bawa-2.jpg  

Old 30th July 2009, 11:29   #585
Senior - BHPian

Are you sure the car in the second picture is an Austin. looks somewhat upmarket to me.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks