Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2009, 12:35   #511
Senior - BHPian

Hi V16, well finally you did it!
We shall examine the pic with the woody under a magnifying glass and then see if we geet an ID.
The Peugeot your family had was a 504 Break. 504's were such good cars, but now there are very few survivors. I would not call them collectables.

Abhishek, your pics are lovely.
But I have a doubt whether the car is a Skoda, I would guess a British Ford. The car is battered, the bumper seems to be crooked, the flowing line seems disturbed.
The pedal car is also sweet, I have collected a few myself.

Cheers harit
Old 15th July 2009, 12:42   #512
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
His VW Variant parked at his Kidderpore bungalow. They have since shifted and the bungalow may have given way to another structure.
One would quite naturally assume this was shot in Bombay - what with the floods and missing hood ornament
Old 16th July 2009, 15:01   #513
BHPian

Quote:
Our Peugeot was registered as MMG 567 and the Biscayne MRY 7602. It was later sold to a person who dieselised the car. I remember my grandad firing the hell out of him
All our grandpapas had nearly same rage
I think you,me and others have some such stories which cannot be discussed here!
I,really like that Royal attitude of them.There was a childlike heart that get revealled in those activities.Today,it is rare to find in our generation.If,someone is annoyed with another,he/she will not reveal it openly,but take a revenge secretly.Not to say the ways they exploit.
Old 16th July 2009, 16:01   #514
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Hi V16, well finally you did it!
We shall examine the pic with the woody under a magnifying glass and then see if we geet an ID.
The Peugeot your family had was a 504 Break. 504's were such good cars, but now there are very few survivors. I would not call them collectables.

Abhishek, your pics are lovely.
But I have a doubt whether the car is a Skoda, I would guess a British Ford. The car is battered, the bumper seems to be crooked, the flowing line seems disturbed.
The pedal car is also sweet, I have collected a few myself.

Cheers harit
Many thanks for appreciation.
Unfortunately,as you all senior members know,after Jap(?) attack at Burma,our showroom of Ford(?) and our house were bombed.Before that,one of his brother,a civil engnr,was killed by firearms(I have paper cutting).My grandpapa arranged for airtickets for all other members of our home then,except him.Airport customs did not allowed all the Trunks to be carried,for their much weight,so,many papers,cash,gold,collectable "tin" car,bus models, along with photographs
were lost.He later came to Bengal(had several own houses) by foot alone,which took long 2months,having a gupti of British brand Wilkinson,an alluminium glass,an wool blanket(looks like Raymonds wool blankets).He was propably informed prior to his foot journey that,there were land mines(?) to the way from Burma to Assam.Many among those men,who took the route by foot to Assam,were killed in a henious way.I narrated this long story,to give you some clue.
The points,which I am not 100% sure,I marked querry(?) mark beside.
Old 16th July 2009, 18:42   #515
Senior - BHPian

Attached a wedding pic, is this an Amby or a Landmaster. Many times a sheer chance brings up such photos where you have to puzzle a bit. It is a matter of the angle the snap is taken at. Hope comments come raining in on what this car is.
Also in the pic are a Vauxhall, probably a Cresta and a Plymouth.
Bhalle Bhalle!!!!!!!!

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-panj-amb.jpg  

Old 16th July 2009, 19:06   #516
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Recently I purchased three very old postcards. They showed "Laurie's Hotel, Agra. Each pic had an ancient car in the picture. Here is one such picture. The car is probably a large Renault. This should be around 1920. Does Laurie's Hotel still exist in Agra?
Hello out there 'Agra"wallas, any info on Lauries hotel? Keen to know if it still exists.

Cheers harit
Old 16th July 2009, 20:39   #517
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello out there 'Agra"wallas, any info on Lauries hotel? Keen to know if it still exists.

Cheers harit
It exists have seen it. Here's more info Lauries Hotel Agra, Hotel Lauries
Old 16th July 2009, 21:12   #518
Senior - BHPian

Lauries Hotel

Apparently in desrepair and built in 1850 it is one of the oldest hotels in the country. Wonder when someone will start restoring old hotels
which are an important part of our countries heritage.
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-laurieshotelentrance.jpg  

Old 16th July 2009, 22:23   #519
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Attached a wedding pic, is this an Amby or a Landmaster. Many times a sheer chance brings up such photos where you have to puzzle a bit. It is a matter of the angle the snap is taken at. Hope comments come raining in on what this car is.
Bhalle Bhalle!!!!!!!!
From squinting closely, can make out the bonnet badge to be a Landy one, so that's what it would be.

The Vauxhall is an early 50s "E" series, looks like a Velox (which was incidentally a 6 cyl.) as I can see a part of the chrome "lip" on the middle edge of the bonnet. I'm helping a fellow tbhpian restore a similar model, albeit a Wyvern (4 cyl.)
Old 16th July 2009, 23:09   #520
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Bhalle Bhalle!!!!!!!!

Cheers harit
Thats a Landmaster for sure.
Old 17th July 2009, 14:44   #521
Senior - BHPian

This pic is a street scene on DN Road, between Fountain and VT.
Austin registration was BMZ 1723.
The bus is a double decker as we used to see them upto the 1980? That's when they introduced those with the trapezoid front show where 2 doors open to expose the radiator. BEST had one such bus as a Vintage bus kept alive. Other cars seen a 1947 Buick Super, a Hudson and to the right of the bus a Morris Oxford taxi.
And front right a part of a Fiat!

Cheers harit
Attached Images

Old 17th July 2009, 14:54   #522
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This pic is a street scene on DN Road, between Fountain and VT.

Other cars seen a 1947 Buick Super, a Hudson and to the right of the bus a Morris Oxford taxi.
For a minute I could have sworn that was London, with the Austin, double decker and colonial buildings.

I think the Hudson you mention is actually a 47 Mercury, unless Im missing something else in the picture.
Old 17th July 2009, 15:15   #523
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
For a minute I could have sworn that was London, with the Austin, double decker and colonial buildings.

I think the Hudson you mention is actually a 47 Mercury, unless Im missing something else in the picture.

Ofcourse it is a Mercury. Error, slip of the thumb.
Old 17th July 2009, 16:23   #524
Senior - BHPian

Its a Ford all right, cant say for sure whether its a Special or a Mercury.
Whats the car parked on the opposite side, below the "Gerenal" board? An American for sure.
Old 17th July 2009, 16:30   #525
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Its a Ford all right, cant say for sure whether its a Special or a Mercury.
Whats the car parked on the opposite side, below the "Gerenal" board? An American for sure.
Gogiji if I am right that grille design was unique to Mercurys, Fords had horizontal slats instead.

The car under 'General' must be a 46-48 Chevy Fleetmaster.

The Fiat in front must be a 56/57 centrelight since it sports a light coloured steering wheel and windshield washer nozzles.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks