Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2014, 14:07   #3256
Senior - BHPian

Re: Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars

Can we have a better resolution of the roadster to identify the make. 5 guys as that the number of pair of feet counted. Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Are all these Agiary's in Mumbai? And what does the text in Gujrati say?

I really don't know what car this is. American yes but which one? On the hubcap something like an "S" may be seen, but Studebaker? I'm not sure.

The car below is nice, probably American roadster, would not mind having one. It's a period shot of guys on an outing, see the gramophone. I don't see a picnic basket or an ice box. Good boys. BTW, how many guys are there?

Cheers harit
Old 19th December 2014, 15:49   #3257
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Are all these Agiary's in Mumbai? And what does the text in Gujrati say?
I can recognise 1T as the Bandra Agiary, still more or less the same. The car is maybe a Hillman Minx?

I also recognise 2T as the one on DN Road - with some fascinating details in the architecture. (http://mumbaireadyreckoner.org/2010/...vatcha-agiary/)

3T already has the details mentioned. Afraid I can't help you with Gujarati text.
Old 20th December 2014, 13:45   #3258
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Harit and Karl - there are two Gujarati texts. "Roj" means day. "Mah" means month. "ES" means "Eeswi San" or year as per the parsi calendar. "Ervad" means parsi priest. Translations are as follows:

1. Pirojbai Maneckji Vatcha ni Agiary, Roj Ardibehst, Mar Adar, ES 1250, 19 May 1881.
2. Ervad Nusserwanji Ratanji Tata, Roj Behram, Mah Scheherevar, ES 1253, 6 March 1884.

These photographs are priceless.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2014, 14:40   #3259
Distinguished - BHPian

The images below were found sometime back on ebay, they are supposed to be from Ranchi. Can we date the pictures looking at the make of the car and the Bike ? also what car is this ?
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-ranchi.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-ranchi-1.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-ranchi-2.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-ranchi-3.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-ranchi-4.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-ranchi-5.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-ranchi-6.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-ranchi-7.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-ranchi-8.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-ranchi-9.jpg  

KartikeyaL is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2014, 15:40   #3260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KartikeyaL View Post
The images below were found sometime back on ebay, they are supposed to be from Ranchi. Can we date the pictures looking at the make of the car and the Bike ? also what car is this ?
To the best of my knowledge the car is a "Renault" there is a similar one in India in the Sanghi collection will dig out the picture and send it through as well.
Old 23rd December 2014, 17:37   #3261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
also what car is this ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Bug View Post
To the best of my knowledge the car is a "Renault" there is a similar one in India in the Sanghi collection will dig out the picture and send it through as well.
The car is a Renault AX Tourer. Relatively famous among pre-war cars, sold in multiple countries, used both personally and commercially.

The motorcycle had me foxed. In the 7th pic a close up of the engine can be seen. There is a portion of the engine sticking out conspicuously.

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-ranchi-6.jpg

It isn't a V-Twin (ruling out most American motorcycles) or a parallel twin. At first I thought it was a transversely placed twin cylinder, but soon realized it was a single with a round, flowered head. So it could be a Blackburne Engine.

But is the bike a Blackburne? Difficult to say, considering Blackburne engines were used by 70 manufacturers, in Europe and US.

The next elimination was going by the Union Jack flying on the handlebar. A British make then.

The last elimination was going by the front Girder forks, usually preserved for the sporty variants in the earlier days of motorcycling. That, with a little help from Google Baba, make me conclude that the bike is a 1925 Henley-Blackburne Sports frame.

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-1925-henley-blackburne.jpg

Quote:
Can we date the pictures looking at the make of the car and the Bike ?
The car is from between 1908 to 1915. The motorcycle is from 1925. I'd say its a mid 20's photograph.

Inputs from the Gurus welcome.
predatorwheelz is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th December 2014, 09:52   #3262
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Nice find. Note the only digit registration numbers too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
The car is a Renault AX Tourer. Relatively famous among pre-war cars, sold in multiple countries, used both personally and commercially.
The car does look like a Renault or a contemporary French car, though I can't confirm the model. They all looked the same to me

Quote:
The motorcycle had me foxed. In the 7th pic a close up of the engine can be seen. There is a portion of the engine sticking out conspicuously.

The last elimination was going by the front Girder forks, usually preserved for the sporty variants in the earlier days of motorcycling. That, with a little help from Google Baba, make me conclude that the bike is a 1925 Henley-Blackburne Sports frame.
My initial reaction when I saw the photo was to call it a BSA of some sort, though I must admit my knowledge on these bikes is limited.

But tweety bird tells me that it is most likely to be a 550cc BSA H2, from around 1919ish. It does seem to match up better.

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-bsa-1919-550-cc-model-h-2.jpg

http://www.yesterdays.nl/1919-canoel...ion-p-612.html
karlosdeville is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th December 2014, 11:45   #3263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
My initial reaction when I saw the photo was to call it a BSA of some sort, though I must admit my knowledge on these bikes is limited.

But tweety bird tells me that it is most likely to be a 550cc BSA H2, from around 1919ish. It does seem to match up better.
Spot on champ. As I had said, my speculation on the bike model started with the shape of the engine head, hence the narrowing down on Blackburne.

How does one become a friend of Tweety bird?
predatorwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2014, 11:45   #3264
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
The car does look like a Renault or a contemporary French car, though I can't confirm the model. They all looked the same to me
Tweety came back to tell us that the pretty French car is no Renault, but in fact a 1913ish Clément Bayard 4M Cabriolet which has the very distinctive chassis front dumb irons. They have a very tight curve to them, Renault cars never had this shape of dumb iron.

A quick image search confirms it.

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-clement-bayard.jpg
karlosdeville is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th December 2014, 12:00   #3265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tweety came back to tell us that the pretty French car is no Renault, but in fact a 1913ish Clément Bayard 4M Cabriolet which has the very distinctive chassis front dumb irons. They have a very tight curve to them, Renault cars never had this shape of dumb iron.
Hmm, well tbhp is an endless learning process. Again I was guided by the bonnet and the dumb irons, not realizing that the shape of the latter is slightly different. Here's a pic of the AX tourer for comparison.

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-renault-ax-tourer.jpg
Old 26th December 2014, 12:40   #3266
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

A quick image search confirms it.

Attachment 1322104
Repeating what is common knowledge, both Tbhp and Tweety are treasure trove of inform .

coming back to the topic, do we have any survivors of this car in India ?
Old 28th December 2014, 18:45   #3267
Senior - BHPian

One from the family album..
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-1419772539966.jpg  

schakravarthy is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th December 2014, 22:08   #3268
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
One from the family album..
Lovely! One of my favourite kinds of pics!

Do you recall what colour the car was? And the location (numberplate not visible clearly in the pic.- looks like an ME? or MS? )

Last edited by Stanher : 29th December 2014 at 22:09.
Old 29th December 2014, 22:15   #3269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post

Do you recall what colour the car was? And the number (not visible clearly in the pic.- looks like an ME? )
The car belonged to my mom's cousin, it was way prior to my birth. I'll pass on your queries to him.

He had this Standard for quite some time and then moved on to an Ambassador. Mom tells me he met with a big accident in the Amby around 75ish. He was hurt pretty bad, but luckily there weren't any fatalities. But since then he hasn't owned any car.
Old 29th December 2014, 23:07   #3270
Distinguished - BHPian

Was fortunate enough to be gifted these 2 little B & W photos by an elderly neighbour today! She doesn't know how or where she'd got them from or any other details. The gent in the pics. seems to be a Brit and the car a 1935-ish Wolseley "new fourteen." The building right behind has been identified by a friend from Bangalore as Bangalore Town Hall, which was built in 1935 by the philanthropist Sir K P Puttana Chetty:

http://www.filmapia.com/sites/defaul...-town-hall.JPG

http://www.bangalorebest.com/discove...eLine/town.php

and the circular building in the background is of the Bangalore city corporation:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._bangalore.jpg

Going by the numberplates, the pic. was definitely pre-1939, maybe when the building had just been finished? Car may have been brand new then, in that case?

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-10348369_10152739326697670_2056892668525382035_n.jpg

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-10862626_10152739331837670_6536332250860913227_o.jpg

Last edited by Stanher : 29th December 2014 at 23:14.
Stanher is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks