Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2014, 14:58   #3166
Senior - BHPian

Re: Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
Found this pic while sifting through an old family album.
Nice pic.! Any idea where? Seems to be out of India.
Old 23rd August 2014, 15:02   #3167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Nice pic.! Any idea where? Seems to be out of India.
If it isn't in India, then it must be somewhere in Zanzibar.
Btw, any idea on the make of the car?
Old 23rd August 2014, 15:21   #3168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
Btw, any idea on the make of the car?
tis a 1955-56 Ford Prefect 100E:

http://www.motorbase.com/uploads/200...1229336670.jpg
Stanher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2014, 17:27   #3169
Senior - BHPian

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-imageuploadedbyteambhp1408881338.046380.jpg

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-imageuploadedbyteambhp1408881352.209159.jpg

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-imageuploadedbyteambhp1408881368.616782.jpg

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-imageuploadedbyteambhp1408881381.356793.jpg

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-imageuploadedbyteambhp1408881394.585689.jpg

These fabulous Photograph are from Madras and are Curated by D. Krishnan and were found here

http://www.frontline.in/cover-story/...cle6331271.ece

I am particularly thrilled to see the picture where what seems like a steam car/engine can be seen outside spencer and co. Ltd and also the one with shell fuel station, Spencer and co I believe is the same place where the spencer plaza is now , amazing to see so many pick-ups in one place.

Last edited by moralfibre : 25th August 2014 at 11:12. Reason: Reformatting post.
KartikeyaL is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th August 2014, 16:36   #3170
BHPian

That's our 1973 Ambassador Mark II.

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-img_5520.jpg

Note the cat's eye reflectors fitted on the fenders. The dash on the vehicle was replaced with a 'Maharaja' dashboard, one of the few accessories available then. Around 1982, a Clarion PE-54 stereo system was also fitted to the car when auto reverse was THE thing.
A decent drive, but my Dad says it was never as smooth as the other 1964 model he had.
Shwetank is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th August 2014, 16:46   #3171
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shwetank View Post
Note the cat's eye reflectors fitted on the fenders.
I remember these well. They used to be so popular, but now not seen. I last saw them on these 2 cars, both have since removed them. I wish I could get a piece just for keep sake.

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-fiat.jpg

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-olds.jpg

Quote:
The dash on the vehicle was replaced with a 'Maharaja' dashboard, one of the few accessories available then.
What is a Maharaja dashboard?
karlosdeville is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th August 2014, 17:17   #3172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
It used to be a fibre dash (like on the Standard Herald) with provision for 4 + 1 meters (factory fitment was speedo + temp + fuel) and the instrument console in front of the driver (and not in the centre). There used to be a sliding glass holder, a spring loaded lockable glove box lid, a map light, coin holder, provision for a radio set and some other add-ons. I'm told that the vehicle was sold with the original dash, so I might just be able to locate the 'Maharaja' and post pictures here.

Incidentally, this car came with a Mowog block and not an HM block (don't know how). My dad had switched to SU carburetor too for better performance (manifold, air cleaner, et al).
Shwetank is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2014, 17:45   #3173
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What is a Maharaja Dashboard?
Dear Karl - well, here is the information on "Maharaja Dashboard". .

This was an FRP moulded instrument panel, made in in black color with etched finish which was made locally in Mumbai and mainly sold in shops at Avantikabai Gokhale Marg in Opera House. The most popular shop was known as "Anand Traders". Maharaja dashboards existed for Premier Padmini and Ambassador cars. There was one garage called "Speedex", which was located in a compound diagonally opposite Bombay Central station. This garage specialized in fitting maharaja dashboards. The original instrument cluster hood was removed and the cluster was fitted inside the maharaja dashboard. The whole thing was then fitted in the car. It had cubbyhole spaces for two round meters, also some space for a rudimentary stereo system.

Speedex Garage had one Premier Padmini Special car in green color with white top permanently parked inside the BCMA showroom in Opera House. This car was fitted with all sorts of accessories, including the maharaja dashboard, the fishtail reflectors, the so-called "single piece top" in black color, the original Sipea Antifurto steering lock and chrome plated plastic wheel caps projecting out of the wheel rims with 5 scooped out type indentations painted black with chrome wheel rim covers, held by a single clamp! The registration number of this car was MRJ 555. The number plate was also the "fancy" type! It had thin whitewall Ceat tires. The whole thing was considered "cool", going by the needs of that time.

Maybe, one of these days I'll give information on good old BCMA / Starline Motors / Maha Auto, the three PAL dealers in Mumbai at that time!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th August 2014, 04:26   #3174
BHPian

A 1989 pic of us with our Chocolate Brown Nissan Sunny. This was given to Dad by his boss, when we moved to Kampala, Uganda. I loved the car, primarily because it was our first.
The white one on the right is probably a Datsun. It was a pick-up truck.

In the pic: My brother with Dad and me with mom. Dad's colleagues and friends as well. All on a trip to a game reserve.

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-sunny.jpg
aneezan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th August 2014, 20:51   #3175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It used to be a fibre dash (like on the Standard Herald)
Well, Herald never came with a fibre dash!
The very first models came with a pressed cardboard one and a couple of years later on, with a flat wood veneer on plywood one.
The Gazel did come with a fibreglass dash though.
Old 28th August 2014, 01:41   #3176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyml View Post
Austin PBR7064 that my parents had in 1957-59, model and year unknown. Shown here with my mother and also in the background with my father ( tall man extreme left)in Montgomery and Bahawalpur. Cars were difficult to get in those days. My father then bought a Ford Prefect and found it too small, was then given another permit for the purchase of a BMW 1600 two door LHD, which he did not want. He finally settled on a 1960 Ford Consul 1700 cc imported from England with East Pakistan plates EBH6 but never went to then East Pakistan. He sold it in 1984, having given faultless service.
PBR 7064 is undoubtedly an Austin A70 identified by the three horizontal bars that run across the front of the car just above the front bumper. The somerset had two split windows but with vertical bars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Found this pic. of a Triumph and another bike I couldnt identify (also a Triumph, if that's what the badge says? Maybe older model?)

Pic. found in this website:

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF/Hi...0s/SR-FIS.html

Attachment 1235493
The other bike is a Horizontally Opposed Twin BMW.

Last edited by moralfibre : 28th October 2014 at 09:10. Reason: Back to back posts.
Karadi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2014, 13:51   #3177
Senior - BHPian

This is a very old family picture of my great grand uncle out hunting. His name was Sirajuddin Ahmed and he was the son of Khutbuddin Ahmed who was also a great hunter and had written a book on hunting, people familiar with hunting and Hyderabad History will recognize the names.

Any idea what car they are sitting on ?
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-10571955_755319237848376_7595351282694307190_o.jpg  

wasif is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th August 2014, 14:27   #3178
BHPian

Quote:
I remember these well. They used to be so popular, but now not seen. I last saw them on these 2 cars, both have since removed them. I wish I could get a piece just for keep sake.

Attachment 1278172

Attachment 1278173

Lovely- very original 1948 Oldsmobile
Old 30th August 2014, 15:00   #3179
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Any idea what car they are sitting on ?
The car should probably be a late 1910s/early 1920s mid sized Fiat, maybe 501.

On second thought the wheels do look American...
Old 30th August 2014, 17:54   #3180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
This is a very old family picture of my great grand uncle out hunting. His name was Sirajuddin Ahmed and he was the son of Khutbuddin Ahmed ....... Any idea what car they are sitting on ?
Quote:
The car should probably be a late 1910s/early 1920s mid sized Fiat, maybe 501. On second thought the wheels do look American...
Lovely old photo Wasif, so refreshing after seeing repeats and so many dull cars of the 1950's, even if some go gaga about them.
I would also stick to the tourer being American, the headlights offer an additional clue. Maybe a Dodge, Studebaker? Before 1925?

I was surprised to note that the splitty Beetle elicited so little response, it was something debated a lot. Not even from Beetlemaniacs.

Here is a Buick Super convertible 1947 on wedding duty. Note the trafficators added to the side pillar, and that structure on the bus to accomodate the destination boards. Unfortunately it's not legible even with high magnification.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-buick-open-indicator.jpg  

harit is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks