Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2014, 14:18   #3001
Senior - BHPian

Re: Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars

Anyone wants to identify this car for me? I am tired of using a magnifying glass!

The mascot on the bonnet would indicate a temple car.

BTW, it was Mumbai registerd.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-templecar.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-mascot.jpg  

Last edited by harit : 23rd April 2014 at 14:21.
harit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2014, 15:28   #3002
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Anyone wants to identify this car for me? I am tired of using a magnifying glass!
1951 Ford Custom?

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-frontcover.jpg

I had a similar brochure to the one posted, with fine print at the bottom stating Ford Motor Company India or something to that effect.

Last edited by karlosdeville : 23rd April 2014 at 15:29.
karlosdeville is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2014, 11:32   #3003
BHPian

Here are some pictures I found

1) My dad with RJF 5328- A Jawa he bought from the military canteen for Rs.2400. Picture taken at Pathankot Air force Officers Mess in 1965

2) Picture likely taken at Shivaji housing society, Pune in the 1960s. Car is probably a Chevrolet. My Dad again on the extreme left. On the extreme right is his brother-in-law, whose father's car it was.

3) My Mum's brother in Nainital, 1950s. I dont think these were our cars but a great picture, don't you think?

I will dig out more automotive pictures when I visit my Dad next.
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-img_0001.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-img_0002.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-img_0003.jpg  

Last edited by TractionAvant : 25th April 2014 at 11:33.
TractionAvant is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 25th April 2014, 13:56   #3004
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TractionAvant View Post
Here are some pictures I found

2) Picture likely taken at Shivaji housing society, Pune in the 1960s. Car is probably a Chevrolet. My Dad again on the extreme left. On the extreme right is his brother-in-law, whose father's car it was.

I will dig out more automotive pictures when I visit my Dad next.
Lovely pictures. The second one interests me the most. From the little detail I can see of the Fleetmaster, the registration is xxH xx58. I have seen a black Fleetmaster in Pune with a BYH 3658 registration - what are the odds! Can you confirm the number at your end? How long did they have the car?
karlosdeville is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th April 2014, 17:39   #3005
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Lovely pictures. The second one interests me the most. From the little detail I can see of the Fleetmaster, the registration is xxH xx58. I have seen a black Fleetmaster in Pune with a BYH 3658 registration - what are the odds! Can you confirm the number at your end? How long did they have the car?
It would really be something if it is the same car! Unfortunately, there is no one around who could give me these details. Even this picture survives because it was with my grandfather. All my father can remember is that the registration was BY something. He says the car was most probably sold in the mid to late seventies. Their family name is Kadam, if that helps.

Aditya

Last edited by TractionAvant : 25th April 2014 at 17:46.
TractionAvant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2014, 16:26   #3006
Distinguished - BHPian

Found this pic. of a Triumph and another bike I couldnt identify (also a Triumph, if that's what the badge says? Maybe older model?)

Pic. found in this website:

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF/Hi...0s/SR-FIS.html

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-1952fis03.jpg
Stanher is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th April 2014, 18:27   #3007
BHPian

As promised, here are some more pictures-

1,2&3) This is a Harley Davidson. It belonged to My paternal grandmother's brother, who was a big-shot in the Raj Police. I am told 'Penny' enjoyed an occasional ride in the sidecar!

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-01.jpg

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-02.jpg

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-03.jpg

4) That's him again, showing off! My grandmother never tired of telling us how strong her brother was. Is the car a T?

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-04.jpg

5) B?MS? 6627-This is a Taxi. Location is somewhere between Kolhapur and Panhala. Date is mid 1950's. Chevrolet?

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-05.jpg

6) A Hindusthan-14 that belongs to a relative. Picture taken in Kolhapur. I believe they still own the car.

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-06.jpg

7) MHP 909- My father's first car.

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-07.jpg

8&9) MRW 4945 & MRA 6298- These belonged to my paternal grandfather's brother. Thats a lot of people in MRW 4945!

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-08.jpg

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-09.jpg

Last edited by Rehaan : 5th May 2014 at 00:44. Reason: Awesome, thanks! Have inserted pics in-line to make it easier to follow. Do see the "Uploading pics" thread in Announcements for how to do this yourself. Tx
TractionAvant is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th April 2014, 18:46   #3008
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Found this pic. of a Triumph and another bike I couldnt identify (also a Triumph, if that's what the badge says? Maybe older model?)
Interesting picture. The bike at the back is not a Triumph, it could be a Douglas, can't tell for sure but it's a Horizontal opposed twin. Wish the pic was taken from the side. I read a bit about him.... he's know to have a stylish 1.5 litre sports car and this unique bike.
deutscheafrikar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2014, 19:03   #3009
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
'wonder if our Karl knows this car!

Awesome pics. btw! How I wish my family too had such gems in the past!
Old 29th April 2014, 19:25   #3010
BHPian

Quote:
My dad had this car in Pune. It went to Kolhapur (I think) when he sold it in 1971. All the same, you never know, kanoon aur Karl ke haath bahut lambe hain

Quote:
Awesome pics. btw! How I wish my family too had such gems in the past!
Thanks, How I wish my family still had them
Old 30th April 2014, 09:10   #3011
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, How I wish my family still had them.
I didn't even know our family had them
Old 30th April 2014, 10:22   #3012
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My dad had this car in Pune. It went to Kolhapur (I think) when he sold it in 1971. All the same, you never know, kanoon aur Karl ke haath bahut lambe hain

Thanks, How I wish my family still had them
Anyone noticed the colour combination of 'MHP/909' ? I wonder.........

We have been though so many Selects, SuperSelects, Delights...and of course, the Standard 10s! Of course, there was never a shortage of Ambies in the house. Right from the Landmaster, to the MKIV.

My grandfather was so disgusted with has Ambassador Nova, that he refused one for his official use, prefering to take his (then 2 Decade old, mint), 1972 built 1100D, instead.

The car survives.

Lastly, Karl really knows about the cars in Poona. I asked him, whether he knew about so & so car, he was aware off them! When I mentioned a couple of cars, of which he was not aware, I felt as if........!

And speaking of old things, did you notice the pristine bungalows on Apte Road being broken off! Such a great place...but all the old bunglows are being broken down, for the sake of the modern "Corporate" look. Even 10 years ago, SB road was liveable, but now..I rather not comment.

How I deplore modernity!

Cheerio!

Last edited by FINTAIL : 30th April 2014 at 10:29.
Old 30th April 2014, 11:11   #3013
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSpur View Post
I hope you at least know who that is leaning coolly over the nearside front fender of MRW 4945

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
Anyone noticed the colour combination of 'MHP/909' ? I wonder.........
That is how my father got it, he bought it second hand. He says it was parrot green with a yellow stripe. He later got it painted navy blue. Many years ago a saw a Mark I in the lane next to Kamla Nehru Park. It was cream with a dull green stripe (if memory serves me right). It also had a winged OHV badge on the boot lid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post

And speaking of old things, did you notice the pristine bungalows on Apte Road being broken off! Such a great place...but all the old bunglows are being broken down, for the sake of the modern "Corporate" look. Even 10 years ago, SB road was liveable, but now..I rather not comment.

How I deplore modernity!

Cheerio!
Prabhat road first, apte road now....... the whole place has changed so much. What is worse is that many of these beautiful bungalows had old cars tucked away in their garages. I remember a particularly large property on Apte road. There was a large mid 1930s Austin in the garage/shed next to the house, probably a 16 or 20. I spoke to the obliging owner. He said the car was submerged in the 1961 floods. After the waters receded and everything was dry the car fired up first attempt! No sign of the house or car now.....

Aditya

Last edited by TractionAvant : 30th April 2014 at 11:34. Reason: Please use "edit" or multi-quote instead of making back-to-back posts.
Old 1st May 2014, 16:10   #3014
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As promised, here are some more pictures-

1,2&3) This is a Harley Davidson. It belonged to My paternal grandmother's brother, who was a big-shot in the Raj Police. I am told 'Penny' enjoyed an occasional ride in the sidecar!

4) That's him again, showing off! My grandmother never tired of telling us how strong her brother was. Is the car a T?

5) B?MS? 6627-This is a Taxi. Location is somewhere between Kolhapur and Panhala. Date is mid 1950's. Chevrolet?

6) A Hindusthan-14 that belongs to a relative. Picture taken in Kolhapur. I believe they still own the car.

8&9) MRW 4945 & MRA 6298- These belonged to my paternal grandfather's brother. Thats a lot of people in MRW 4945!
Superb - thanks for sharing.

The bike seems to have an Excelsior logo - they made V twins too, right? Can you read the registration? Maybe BOM Z 1578

The early car could be a Model T, though it could just as well be a Chevy or Overland or anything American.

The Chevy is a 1947 Fleetmaster, though private colours and registration. Probably BMU 6627 (BMS would be taxi, but then should be white plate)

Hindustan 14 is a facelifted 'Newlook'. Ask them to share some more pics, and if they will sell

Quote:
Quote:
Sorry to disappoint, I don't have MHP 909, but I do know 905, a Fiat in Pune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSpur View Post
Dig out the albums, you may find some matches.

Quote:
That is how my father got it, he bought it second hand. He says it was parrot green with a yellow stripe. He later got it painted navy blue. Many years ago a saw a Mark I in the lane next to Kamla Nehru Park. It was cream with a dull green stripe (if memory serves me right). It also had a winged OHV badge on the boot lid.
There used to be a lovely Mark 1 in a lane close to the park, it was a very dark green/grey, with the side trim but single colour, owned by a wonderful family since the 60s. Its now with me.

The closest car I can think of in the colour you describe could be this, though no badge on the boot. Now repained black I'm told.

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-amby01.jpg

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-amby02.jpg
karlosdeville is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2014, 22:29   #3015
BHPian

Quote:
The bike seems to have an Excelsior logo - they made V twins too, right? Can you read the registration? Maybe BOM Z 1578
These are the only pictures I have found and, believe me, they are tiny! It could well have been an Excelsior. My knowledge of bikes is limited. My father says it was a Harley but he could be mistaken. He does remember that the gear lever was by the tank. Now that I think about it, a senior Indian officer in the Raj police with a non-british bike would have raised a few eyebrows

Quote:
The Chevy is a 1947 Fleetmaster, though private colours and registration. Probably BMU 6627 (BMS would be taxi, but then should be white plate)
Technically it might have been a private car but it was hired to take the family and a visiting relative for a picnic to Panhala. That is what my father remembers (that's him sitting on the bumper). Having said that, it does look like BMS to me.

Quote:
Hindustan 14 is a facelifted 'Newlook'. Ask them to share some more pics, and if they will sell
Will do, don't meet them very often though. It is highly unlikely that they will sell. It has had an engine change (ambassador?), I think.

Quote:
There used to be a lovely Mark 1 in a lane close to the park, it was a very dark green/grey, with the side trim but single colour, owned by a wonderful family since the 60s. Its now with me.
Is this MRW 3228?

Quote:
The closest car I can think of in the colour you describe could be this, though no badge on the boot. Now repained black I'm told.
Attachment 1236090
Attachment 1236091
This might be the car I saw. I could be mistaken about the OHV badge. A question, would you know if Hindustan ever offered this sort of two tone paintwork as standard?

Aditya

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks