Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2012, 14:23   #2281
BHPian

re: Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by KartikeyaL View Post
Posting one more picture and the link to some old calcutta pictures.

Calcuttaweb.Com - Pictures

Mods !! I am not able to figure out how to edit my earlier post, hence
posting back to back !!

Regards

Kartik
i
This is Calcutta"s New Market area , Linsday Street was its original name , My Great Grandfather built 2 properties right oppsite New Market , 11 & 11A Lindsay street and my father is the current owner,both of them are right opposite to the clock tower that you see in the pic , This pic if i can guess correctly was taken from Globe Cinema.

Salman

Last edited by wbd8779 : 16th May 2012 at 14:28.
Old 16th May 2012, 17:10   #2282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
You are welcome, Wasif, and thank you too.

Well, relying on the clinking of the empty Baccarat at this hour, I think the donor car here is in fact a truck, most probably a Chevrolet 1.5 tonner from the late 1920s ('28, '29) to maybe 1930-31.
Lol...you edited your post !

Why does it look like a Chevy truck to you ?
Old 16th May 2012, 20:25   #2283
Distinguished - BHPian

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-dsc09305.jpg

This one is an old Calcutta Double Decker bus.
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-dsc09310.jpg
A house built in 1941 in Kolkata, now renovated. The garage door where "No Parking" is painted must have housed one or more car/s sometime. In Kolkata, many such garages still have old cars parked within. I have clicked two more such pictures that were potential, old car repositories.
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-dsc09332.jpg
A garage
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-dsc09336.jpg
Another one!
While posting these pictures, I remember that due to some yelllow journalism by a "philmi" mag sometime in the early 1980's , the Bollywood stars had through their guild boycotted all interviews and photo sessions for all glossies.The glossy people had to remain afloat and had then started interviewing the servants of the film folks. They were asked "when does your Madam/ or Saab go out and when does she/ he return?" "Is she or he kind enough to you?"
Photographing the garages that once may have housed beauties is a similar exercise, I believe.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 16th May 2012 at 20:29.
Old 16th May 2012, 21:25   #2284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Lol...you edited your post !

Why does it look like a Chevy truck to you ?
Yup, editing is such fun and satisfying, and the ol' derriere survives for posteriority too!!

Well, I'm quite certain that it's based on a Chevy truck because I remember that look till the rear fender from where it has been extended to add the extra axle. I have seen them in the flesh in my boyhood, as well as in family albums - they did timber and tea plantation duty back in the day where the clan lived! At the most, it may not be a Chevy, but some other make of truck for sure - or I'm totally of the rocker, which is not a distant possibility either, the missus would have me believe! Why don't you ask Meister Google to confirm? Well, hang on, lemme ask Google ji and see if I can find something, I don't like doing tyat but will this instance cause it's irking me now!!

Edit:

Well, I'm back from a trip to the world of instant-knowledge that helps us look good - Google! You're right Wasif, it could be based on a car too, but I still think not, primarily because of:
1. The wheelbase (that is between the front and what is now the middle axle)
2. The height of the windscreen
3. The front bumper
4. The vehicle's height and general stature.

But it's confirmed that it's a Chevy - the louvres on the hood are a dead giveaway. And taking of which, here's something that took the dead away!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_FfetiF7C9v...EVY+HEARSE.JPG

I hope posting a link like this is ok, else request requisite editing by the mods.

Last edited by Prabal : 16th May 2012 at 21:46.
Old 17th May 2012, 09:52   #2285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
Yup, editing is such fun and satisfying, and the ol' derriere survives for posteriority too!!

Well, I'm quite certain that it's based on a Chevy truck because I remember that look till the rear fender from where it has been extended to add the extra axle. I have seen them in the flesh in my boyhood, as well as in family albums - they did timber and tea plantation duty back in the day where the clan lived! At the most, it may not be a Chevy, but some other make of truck for sure - or I'm totally of the rocker, which is not a distant possibility either, the missus would have me believe! Why don't you ask Meister Google to confirm? Well, hang on, lemme ask Google ji and see if I can find something, I don't like doing tyat but will this instance cause it's irking me now!!

Edit:

Well, I'm back from a trip to the world of instant-knowledge that helps us look good - Google! You're right Wasif, it could be based on a car too, but I still think not, primarily because of:
1. The wheelbase (that is between the front and what is now the middle axle)
2. The height of the windscreen
3. The front bumper
4. The vehicle's height and general stature.

But it's confirmed that it's a Chevy - the louvres on the hood are a dead giveaway. And taking of which, here's something that took the dead away!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_FfetiF7C9v...EVY+HEARSE.JPG

I hope posting a link like this is ok, else request requisite editing by the mods.
Yes now that you posted that picture I can see a very strong resemblence to the truck.

So it must have been a Chevy truck turned into a party Limo ....much like the Hummer Limo's we have now !!!
Old 26th May 2012, 16:33   #2286
Senior - BHPian

Hi, the Neon pictures are back, this is a picture I like very much, photo taken before they put up that Tower on the street. I liked this view better. Anyone would like to guess in which season this picture was taken?

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-bombay020.jpg  

harit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th May 2012, 09:30   #2287
Senior - BHPian

LOl....maybe the picture was taken during the monsoons or during an exceptionally high tide !
Old 27th May 2012, 17:48   #2288
Distinguished - BHPian

Found a couple more from the family albums. Picture probably shot in 83.

In this picture our Mk 2 Herald is seen

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-001.jpg

In this picture I do not recognise the main Fiat, but the Select in the back is now with me (belonging to our neighbours then).
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-002.jpg  

karlosdeville is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th May 2012, 20:57   #2289
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
In this picture our Mk 2 Herald is seen

In this picture I do not recognise the main Fiat, but the Select in the back is now with me (belonging to our neighbours then).
Lovely pics.! Nice to see MHJ 1074 again! And I guess this is the first time I'm seeing the front of the car, all the other pics. of it (colour) show just the rear/side. Is it the photo or is the Standard emblem on the bonnet (above the script badge) missing?

Also I presume the select is the MRW one?

Last edited by Stanher : 27th May 2012 at 21:15.
Old 28th May 2012, 18:40   #2290
Senior - BHPian

It seems that Pune had more than 645 horse buggies which were licenced as Poona Horse Conveyance. Even in those days we had Indian habits, seat three people where two are allowed. Its in our blood, unfortunately
There seems to some external brake for the wheels.
Something from the old Pune days, are any such buggies still around?

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-cart.jpg  

Last edited by harit : 28th May 2012 at 18:41.
Old 29th May 2012, 14:58   #2291
Distinguished - BHPian

Found this picture of Gurudev online.
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-rabindranath-tagore-car.jpg  

Old 2nd June 2012, 13:04   #2292
Senior - BHPian

Rural transport, very eco, actually this was near Pune and water was being distributed during a dry period.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-bull.jpg  

Old 9th June 2012, 12:44   #2293
BHPian

Hi,

Just dug out another picture from the family archives of our "Fiat Balilla" taken at home. Sorry for the picture quality, enlarged from a contact print.

regards,

Srinand.
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-balilla3_resized.jpg  

Old 10th June 2012, 17:35   #2294
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinand View Post
Hi,

Just dug out another picture from the family archives of our "Fiat Balilla" taken at home. Sorry for the picture quality, enlarged from a contact print.

regards,

Srinand.
srinand, here is another copy of the same image

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-fiat03.jpg

Additionally did you know the car is alive and well? I last saw it some silly Bollywood movie, I think called 'One two three'.
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2012, 10:15   #2295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
srinand, here is another copy of the same image
Additionally did you know the car is alive and well? I last saw it some silly Bollywood movie, I think called 'One two three'.
Wow Karl, i just checked my posts, i dont remember having posted this picture earlier!! Did you have a copy of this? If so, its amazing. The setting for this picture is my home. I do know this car survives somewhere in Mumbai, that is what i heard from the last person who owned it in Bangalore, a long time ago. I must watch this silly movie right away!!

My father sold the car in 1996 or so in completely dismantled condition with just the engine assembled and started up by him, as the buyer was not sure this car would ever be assembled (it was in that many pieces). I spent my summer holidays during that time being the assistant to my dad assembling and starting the engine. The best summer holidays i remember.

On this occasion, one more picture to share, my dad on his motorcycle, i dont know much about motorcycles so i dont know which one this is, though he often mentioned having owned a Norton and a Francis Barnett, it may be one of them or something else.

regards,

Srinand.
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-dad_motorcycle_resized.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks