Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2008, 01:29   #211
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful picture there Prabal & a great tale too!! Now for some more from the collection?

Last edited by iraghava : 30th August 2008 at 01:36.
Old 30th August 2008, 01:31   #212
Senior - BHPian

found this picture of my father in his lotus elan during his college days. He has some fond memories with the car. this car was brought down by his uncle and it was given to my father to use full time. the car was later exported and the person who bought it had an accident in it and died, the car was a complete loss.
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-scan0003.jpg  

speedy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2008, 02:42   #213
BHPian

Great pictures Karl! I find your dad's pedal car pic and story really sweet!

And Prabal man that pic of your dad is simply amazing. My salute to him for being the first Paratrooper to jump with an Indian parachute.
Old 30th August 2008, 03:11   #214

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
found this picture of my father in his lotus elan during his college days. He has some fond memories with the car. this car was brought down by his uncle and it was given to my father to use full time. the car was later exported and the person who bought it had an accident in it and died, the car was a complete loss.
Thats a beautiful car. Is this the one you had told me about...Really really long ago? Also, the Whitewalls on the Select/Superselect look stunning!!
Old 30th August 2008, 10:27   #215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Thats a beautiful car. Is this the one you had told me about...Really really long ago? Also, the Whitewalls on the Select/Superselect look stunning!!
Yes Cyrus this is the same car finally i found some pictures of it. the select/ superselect belonged to someone in my Building and yes it looks stunning. i think you should get it for your car as well.
Old 30th August 2008, 10:32   #216
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
Slightly OT, on one of jumps his multi-function Tissot's strap broke. It was a routine peace-time exercise jump, so he went looking for the watch in the dessert and found it still ticking after the drop. And continues to, even today!
Tissot should use that story to advertise!
Old 30th August 2008, 20:50   #217
BHPian

My dad with his Indian Chief, pictured in 1951/52.I have been desperately trying to locate this bike without any luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-dad.jpg  

dominator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2008, 21:06   #218
BHPian

1. Dad in a Rally at Parade Grounds Secunderabad
2. Dad with his friends in Jamshedpur. He is 5th from left on his Twin Jawa. Others I can identify in the picture - Behram Shroff,Edel Agboatwala,Rusi Bastawala & Rustom Irani
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-scan0005.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-scan0008.jpg  

dominator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2008, 21:14   #219
BHPian

1994/95. My Dad with the Minerva in Lucknow. It was just bought by Ranjit Malik and he was loading the car to Delhi.He commenced restoration of the car in Delhi,but had to leave halfway due to a family commitment. The car was later sold after resoration to Titus.
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-scan0006.jpg  

dominator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th August 2008, 22:49   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominator View Post
1. Dad in a Rally at Parade Grounds Secunderabad
2. Dad with his friends in Jamshedpur. He is 5th from left on his Twin Jawa. Others I can identify in the picture - Behram Shroff,Edel Agboatwala,Rusi Bastawala & Rustom Irani
Nostalgic to the core!
Jamshedpur has not changed much over all these years. It was developed by Tatas' at that point of time and it is still the same. Your father is on the Ranchi- Jamshedpur strech.
My grandfather had migrated to Jamshedpur in 1937, so that is how I know about Jamshedpur. Incidentally, Jamshedpur has a lot of vintage vehicles. OT: There is one Mr Suri in Jamshedpur who owns a BMW 250cc single.(I don't recollect the year of manufacture). He told me that there were a few pieces surviving in the world and this was the first model by BMW to hve a vertical engine.
Old 31st August 2008, 12:21   #221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan3004 View Post
Nostalgic to the core!
Jamshedpur has not changed much over all these years. It was developed by Tatas' at that point of time and it is still the same. Your father is on the Ranchi- Jamshedpur strech.
My grandfather had migrated to Jamshedpur in 1937, so that is how I know about Jamshedpur. Incidentally, Jamshedpur has a lot of vintage vehicles. OT: There is one Mr Suri in Jamshedpur who owns a BMW 250cc single.(I don't recollect the year of manufacture). He told me that there were a few pieces surviving in the world and this was the first model by BMW to hve a vertical engine.
I was born in Jamshedpur and do remember seeing lot of bikes. Still trying to dig more pictures. Thanks for the identification, I would never know it was the Jamshedpur - Ranchi road.
Old 31st August 2008, 12:41   #222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominator View Post
I was born in Jamshedpur and do remember seeing lot of bikes. Still trying to dig more pictures. Thanks for the identification, I would never know it was the Jamshedpur - Ranchi road.
Thanks for the appreciation.
I am also digging out more auto related photos for this thread and also other wise for other posts.
I will try to get in touch with Mr Suri and get more details of his bike. Earlier I had requested him to consider me as a buyer if ever he wanted to part with his bike.
Old 31st August 2008, 14:15   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan3004 View Post
Thanks for the appreciation.
I am also digging out more auto related photos for this thread and also other wise for other posts.
I will try to get in touch with Mr Suri and get more details of his bike. Earlier I had requested him to consider me as a buyer if ever he wanted to part with his bike.
I definately know of a very authentic, Parsi owned BMW R51 in Jamshedpur,not used for years. Did pursue it,as he was a good friend of my dad,without any luck.probably the bike is stil around in Jamshedpur. My dad stayed at the Parsi Hostel from 1952 to 1965 and then moved to the Telco Colony and stayed there till 1977. I have seen so many bikes there during my childhood,my dad owned quite a few.Still digging out more pictures.
Old 31st August 2008, 14:57   #224
Senior - BHPian

trichur - velankanni - pondichery

amby 1968 fittted with 96 matador disel engine.

we went for a pilgrimage in it to velankanni then to pondichery..it was an 8 day trip.

not even a puncture, Amby we love u..
Old 31st August 2008, 15:40   #225
Senior - BHPian

a great thread. makes anyone nostalgic.
here is probably the most precious car in my life. my grandpa's 1948 MORRIS 8 SERIES E. though it was bought 2nd hand, it ran like a beast. unfortunately it was sold before i could realise anything. the car with my grandpa & my dad.
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-scan0002.jpg
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-scan0004.jpg
also my grandpa's friend's ROLLS ROYCE PHANTOM (dont know the year, haven't seen it.)
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-scan0003.jpg

Last edited by amit V8 : 31st August 2008 at 15:41.
amit V8 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks