Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2012, 14:41   #2176
Senior - BHPian

re: Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars

In 1935 King George V celebrated his silver Jubilee. Somehow this was also celebrated in India

These ladies are entering a venue, car is American, likely a GM product, maybe a Buick.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-jubil.jpg  

Old 5th March 2012, 00:04   #2177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit
In 1935 King George V celebrated his silver Jubilee. Somehow this was also celebrated in India

These ladies are entering a venue, car is American, likely a GM product, maybe a Buick.

Cheers harit
Looks like a 37/38 Buick
Old 6th March 2012, 19:15   #2178

i want to thank Karlos Deville and Harit for sharing this wonderful photograph
i was delighted to see and was wondering if it would be possible to send me a snap of the original one without the watermark for my personal collection, i would be very grateful to both of you fro this favour

my personal email is: karimchhapra@gmail.com
Old 7th March 2012, 13:31   #2179
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Somehow? India was part of the British empire then. The school children used to sing "God save the King" at school prayers everyday. In fact, Jana Gana Mana was originally written in praise of the same king. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jana_Ga..._complete_song)

Last edited by Samurai : 7th March 2012 at 13:42.
Old 7th March 2012, 18:01   #2180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Cheers harit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Somehow? India was part of the British empire then. The school children used to sing "God save the King" at school prayers everyday. In fact, Jana Gana Mana was originally written in praise of the same king. Jana Gana Mana (the complete song) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Hi Sarath,

Congratulations on becoming the latest victim of Harith's googly

I think you missed the smiley in his original post

I hope (not too sure) Harith did not have to sing the "God Save the King" himself ever

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 7th March 2012 at 18:02.
Old 9th March 2012, 10:27   #2181
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Somehow? India was part of the British empire then. The school children used to sing "God save the King" at school prayers everyday. In fact, Jana Gana Mana was originally written in praise of the same king. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jana_Ga..._complete_song)
Quote: On 10 November 1937 Tagore wrote a letter to Mr Pulin Bihari Sen about the controversy. That letter in Bengali can be found in Tagore's biography Ravindrajivani, volume II page 339 by Prabhatkumar Mukherjee.
"A certain high official in His Majesty's service, who was also my friend, had requested that I write a song of felicitation towards the Emperor. The request simply amazed me. It caused a great stir in my heart. In response to that great mental turmoil, I pronounced the victory in Jana Gana Mana of that Bhagya Vidhata [ed. God of Destiny] of India who has from age after age held steadfast the reins of India's chariot through rise and fall, through the straight path and the curved. That Lord of Destiny, that Reader of the Collective Mind of India, that Perennial Guide, could never be George V, George VI, or any other George. Even my official friend understood this about the song. After all, even if his admiration for the crown was excessive, he was not lacking in simple common sense."
Again in his letter of 19 March 1939 Tagore writes,
"I should only insult myself if I cared to answer those who consider me capable of such unbounded stupidity as to sing in praise of George the Fourth or George the Fifth as the Eternal Charioteer leading the pilgrims on their journey through countless ages of the timeless history of mankind." (Purvasa, Phalgun, 1354, p738.)Unquote (source Wikipedia).

Samurai, though this is , even though you may not know it which is why you said what you said, as part of the Tagore family, it hurts me deeply that you think Rabindranath composed Jana Gana Mana in praise of King George. Rabindranath was no ordinary man. He may not have been a man of the masses like the Mahatma, but he was no less a patriot. He would never, never bow down to the British to gratify them and make songs in their praise.

Few know that he was to be knighted by the British, but he refused knighthood, possibly as a protest for the Jallianwala Bagh massacre. In a land enslaved by the British, here was a towering giant, a person born with a golden spoon, but he chose instead to try and free the nation, by inspiring his countrymen through his inspirational poems, songs and writings.

And as you have seen the above extract spoken by the man himself which is on Wiki, he had a profound dislike for the British rule in India.

mbz180
mbz180 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th March 2012, 11:31   #2182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
Quote: .

Few know that he was to be knighted by the British, but he refused knighthood, possibly as a protest for the Jallianwala Bagh massacre.
mbz180
actually, he was knighted in 1915, but relinquished his knighthood in 1919 in protest of jalianwalabagh massacre.... so he was Sir Rabindranath for about four years
awini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2012, 12:10   #2183
BHPian

Delhi 1938 - a short film by Jack Cardiff.
We can see some cars after the 6:40 min mark.

Ps: The film contains many factual errors.

Old 10th March 2012, 10:10   #2184
Team-BHP Support

I can't seem to find the post in which I had touched the topic of travelling on a bus from London to India and beyond. This was very much possible in the '60's and '70's. There were specialized tour companies that organized such trips for people who couldn't afford air fare. How do you think hippy culture started in Goa? There is a forum where all these people got back together and are sharing lovely memories of their adventure from over 4-5 decades ago. Here's the link:

India Overland with Swagman Tours

India Overland

And a wonderful picture of an overland bus:

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-overlandbus.jpg

Last edited by moralfibre : 10th March 2012 at 10:11.
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2012, 16:32   #2185
Team-BHP Support

Saw this on a facebook album that is shared by many as "Lost Bombay"

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-266609_1937793920176_1102219669_31955988_6608882_o.jpg
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2012, 17:14   #2186
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post

Attachment 901069
Nice! All three cars are from the Bhogilal collection (Rolls, Bentley and Daimler). The picture should be less than 10 years old though - white number plates
karlosdeville is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2012, 15:34   #2187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Rightly pointed out by Karl. There was some event, maybe some anniversary concerning the Taj? Anyway, I have seen this picture before. Maybe even on our forum.

Today is a birth anniversary of Y.B.Chavan, here he is with a W108 and a Kingsway.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-chav1.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-chav2.jpg  

Old 12th March 2012, 19:57   #2188
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Rightly pointed out by Karl. There was some event, maybe some anniversary concerning the Taj? Anyway, I have seen this picture before. Maybe even on our forum.

Today is a birth anniversary of Y.B.Chavan, here he is with a W108 and a Kingsway.

Cheers harit
He owned a black Ambassador which is featured here. I have seen this picture on teambhp but am not able to recollect the source.
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-y.b.chavans-car.jpg
Old 12th March 2012, 21:49   #2189
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yes. I already reported that post and requested Karl to move it to some other thread or delete it altogether.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
He owned a black Ambassador which is featured here. I have seen this picture on teambhp but am not able to recollect the source.
Attachment 901863
Here's the source: Link.

Just taking a chance with these pics. Have they been posted before? Two are pics featuring M.K. Gandhi while the third one is of Sealdah station:

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-gandhi-car.jpg

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-gandhi-car1.jpg

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-sealdah.jpg

Last edited by moralfibre : 12th March 2012 at 21:52.
Old 12th March 2012, 21:59   #2190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
'wish the pic. of the W108 showed that Lambretta on the right more closely- looks like an imported series 3!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks