Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2012, 19:12   #2161
Senior - BHPian

re: Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
My pleasure.

A street scene on the banks of river ????????? Can anyone identify this bridge, should not be difficult. I expect it to be in Karnataka, in 1950's.
The shadow seen on the bottom right side is falling on a parapet.

Cheers harit
It is indeed Howrah Bridge. The street scene is of Babughat, with its river "ghat" on one side and the bus stand. Till date most passenger buses for rural Orissa, Bihar and Jharkhand leave from this bus stand.

During the Durga Pujas this becomes the main spot for idol immersions.
Old 25th February 2012, 23:54   #2162
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
My pleasure.

Can anyone identify this bridge, should not be difficult. I expect it to be in Karnataka, in 1950's.
Cheers harit
Harit,

Did you really expect people to fall for this A good atempt it looks like from the posts in response

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
Old 26th February 2012, 08:58   #2163
BHPian

@r_nairtvm,
Question asked, question answered, as for falling for something, for me at least, life is far simpler if things are taken at face value. If that makes me easy bait, at least somebody is getting something to smile about.
No offence taken, keep smiling.

Last edited by 911987 : 26th February 2012 at 09:09. Reason: Punctuation.
Old 26th February 2012, 10:59   #2164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911987 View Post
@r_nairtvm,
Question asked, question answered, as for falling for something, for me at least, life is far simpler if things are taken at face value. If that makes me easy bait, at least somebody is getting something to smile about.
No offence taken, keep smiling.

It was least of my intention to smile at you. My smilies were intended for Harit. If you have been following his posts you would have noticed that he tries these googlies once in a way - not with any malise but more as an atempt to elicit responses to keep this thread alive and active. In that sense his atempt was a good one here. That is all I was trying to say.

May be I got carried away a little bit with the use of smilies

I am glad in that you state that no offence is taken. Like you I also would like to keep things simple.

Ram
Old 26th February 2012, 12:28   #2165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
"cozy" sidecar
We had a similar side car on our Vijay Dlx scooter 1977 model. Back in the day, we had done numerous trips to Saras baug, Sinhgad, Peshwe Park etc!

These side cars were "Globe" make and could be bought from some where on the JM Road. As far as I remember it was "Poona Scooters"

Have some of the most found memories of the side car and the sccot which was later on sold in around 2004/5.
Old 26th February 2012, 13:08   #2166
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
We had a similar side car on our Vijay Dlx scooter 1977 model. Back in the day, we had done numerous trips to Saras baug, Sinhgad, Peshwe Park etc!
Have some of the most found memories of the side car and the sccot which was later on sold in around 2004/5.
Any pics. for this thread please??
Old 27th February 2012, 11:25   #2167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Pic of suspension bridge matches Howrah bridge images on Google images...(Kolkata) - 1944 Part - 13 - Old Indian Photos
Cheers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Harit,

Did you really expect people to fall for this ..Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe Ram
Quote:
@r_nairtvm,
Question asked, question answered, as for falling for something, ... keep smiling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
911987, It was least of my intention to smile at you... ..I am glad in that you state that no offence is taken. Like you I also would like to keep things simple. Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe Ram
Hey, what did I do?

Explanation: I received a lot of pictures + negatives from Karnataka. There are pictures of Mysore Maharaja with Nehru in his Daimler (the Pranlal open tourer!!!) and other assorted. So I assumed that this bridge is in that state. I have crossed Howrah bridge during my 2 visits to Cal, but never looked close enough, and the bus stand on the side appears to be quite deserted, so unlike Kolkata.
Ram is right in that I do try to involve or draw folks into conversation, and that too healthy converstion. In fact on Saturday evening when I saw 911987's post (now that sounds silly when I know his name) I presses the thankometer but it got cut as the server has been shut for the day.

The picture of the building below came in the same lot, now I don't dare to speculate that it is in Karnataka, it could be in Kolkata as well. 7 cars are seen, one car appears to have a long bonnet and looks unusual.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-bldg.jpg  

Last edited by harit : 27th February 2012 at 11:27.
Old 27th February 2012, 11:38   #2168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey, what did I do?

There are pictures of Mysore Maharaja with Nehru in his Daimler (the Pranlal open tourer!!!) and other assorted.

Cheers harit

Hi Harit, you didn't do anything but make some valueble contribution to the pictorial history of our land.

Hey! I think the Picture of Mysore Maharaja, Nehru and Daimler would qualify to be in the thread - Cars of Rastrapathi Bhavan - I think this should include all cars used by the leaders. Please post soon !!!

Ram
Old 27th February 2012, 13:17   #2169
BHPian

Quote:
Hey, what did I do?

Explanation: I received a lot of pictures + negatives from Karnataka. There are pictures of Mysore Maharaja with Nehru in his Daimler (the Pranlal open tourer!!!) and other assorted. So I assumed that this bridge is in that state. I have crossed Howrah bridge during my 2 visits to Cal, but never looked close enough, and the bus stand on the side appears to be quite deserted, so unlike Kolkata.
Ram is right in that I do try to involve or draw folks into conversation, and that too healthy converstion. In fact on Saturday evening when I saw 911987's post (now that sounds silly when I know his name) I presses the thankometer but it got cut as the server has been shut for the day.

The picture of the building below came in the same lot, now I don't dare to speculate that it is in Karnataka, it could be in Kolkata as well. 7 cars are seen, one car appears to have a long bonnet and looks unusual.

Cheers harit
This looks like the All India Radio headquarters in New Delhi.

Last edited by karlosdeville : 27th February 2012 at 15:01. Reason: Punctuation.
awini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2012, 09:44   #2170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Any pics. for this thread please??
That is the only gripe :( I do not have a single pic of the scooter with the side car. Not even without it.
Old 28th February 2012, 12:46   #2171
Senior - BHPian

There is a thread on images of traffic scenes of yesterday, but this being a B+W picture thought it looks better here. The car could have been a very nice one, unfortunately the picture is small. The comment of that Bombaywalla on the back of the picture is funny.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-one.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-two.jpg  

Old 28th February 2012, 13:00   #2172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Another Landmaster bit the dust. They surely got bashed, na?
This car looked to be in good condition, I have never seen this pattern of side stripes before, and look at that steering wheel, this would also happen to Amby's in case of such accidents. Seat belts were not required, they were not even fitted.
Bonnet crumpled like in modern safe cars, yet windshield shattered.
In the background may be a service station using Mobiloils.

Cheers harit
Harit ji, this looks like the petrol pump on Juhu Tara Rd, little away from Sea princess hotel. This petrol pump still exist,and still has trees surrounding it, a very pleasent place to fill your car..
Old 1st March 2012, 11:22   #2173
Senior - BHPian

Vintage Nostalgic Street Sceene in Kolkata.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-kol.jpg  

harit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2012, 20:04   #2174
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Vintage Nostalgic Street Sceene in Kolkata.

Cheers harit
This scene is from just opposite the Raj Bhavan.It is near the Dalhousie area (now B.B.D. Bag). Perhaps the picture is from the early years of the last century.
Incidentally,The Great Eastern Hotel was government owned (ITDC) and was among the two top hotels of Calcutta, Hotel Grand being the other.
Old 1st March 2012, 22:18   #2175
Distinguished - BHPian

A really nice old photo found in a facebook album: a Nagercoil - Thirnelveli (TN) bus, circa 1933.

Anyone who could identify the make?

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-430037_277632805643590_100001906182022_681362_1642655317_n.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks