Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2011, 17:39   #1651
BHPian

re: Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
This picture is dated 1945 when the Japanese occupied China and America made it their issue to intervene via Calcutta.

Can anyone identify the street and the taxi?

Attachment 530616
The last building on the right with the domed tops is Metropolitan Building, and housed one of Asia's finest malls, Whiteway & Laidlaws. The building survives to this day and was recently part restored, owned now by LIC. The sailors are there because there were many shipping company offices in that area, including American Lines now defunct. On the other hand they could have come to have a great brunch in Firpos, another iconic Calcutta eatery, sadly closed for many years. I had mentioned this earlier on this thread on Page 79. The Street is called Old Court House Street. The taxi maybe a Dodge Brothers or a GM product.

Best Regards
Prithvi

Best Regards
Prithvi

Last edited by mbz180 : 14th April 2011 at 17:45.
Old 14th April 2011, 17:57   #1652
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
This picture is dated 1945 when the Japanese occupied China and America made it their issue to intervene via Calcutta.
Can anyone identify the street and the taxi?
moralfibre: A very good period picture. I can spot a Hudson as the front car from the oncoming traffic.
Old 14th April 2011, 19:11   #1653
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
I have always wondered whether any half-track vehicles were ever seen in India, we know that they were there in the north-west frontier provinces, but in India?..... Cheers harit
Here is another picture of that Citroen half track. I wonder if our friends from the off-roading or 4 X 4 section realise that this could be the grand daddy of country side cruising. The half track made it more suitable for off-roading. And they carry logs for temporary bridging of gaps. In one picture some locals are clearing a path.
And, it looks like this vehicle has come to some remote place for the first time as the whole village gathered to see the spectacle.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-op-citroen-03.jpg  

Old 15th April 2011, 12:10   #1654
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Pictures please ....what was the chassis number of the Idar car ?
hi, Could You please show me the Photo of the Idar Duesy according to you and what were the differences between Idar and Indore car.I have seen the car may be i could throw sum light. Subodh Nath
Old 15th April 2011, 12:52   #1655
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
The street is modern day Esplanade. The building on the far right is the LIC building, the building to the taxi's right is Metro Cinema.
The taxi seems to be an early Dodge?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
The last building on the right with the domed tops is Metropolitan Building, and housed one of Asia's finest malls, Whiteway & Laidlaws. The building survives to this day and was recently part restored, owned now by LIC. The sailors are there because there were many shipping company offices in that area, including American Lines now defunct. On the other hand they could have come to have a great brunch in Firpos, another iconic Calcutta eatery, sadly closed for many years. I had mentioned this earlier on this thread on Page 79. The Street is called Old Court House Street. The taxi maybe a Dodge Brothers or a GM product.
Is that called Chowringee street? Notice how the meters would stand on an individual pole.
Old 15th April 2011, 14:18   #1656
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster789 View Post
They were never reliable runners in the best of times from memory, we all enjoyed running our cars present and past nonetheless...
Personally, my view has always been that ultimately private property is just that and people must be allowed to do what they wish with it. But yes, sad in other ways.
I am not aware of another S-Type? Surely, there can't be two in the country?
Here are a couple more of the Invicta. A wonderful car I rode in on occassion. Including one memorable late night when a wheel came off at over 40 mph just before the Breach Candy hospital and hit a fire hydrant - must have gone 20 feet in the air. Next thing we knew we were on three wheels. Wheel returned to its place, we carried on.
Here is an early coloured picture of the Invicta. Later on she was bright green. My guess is that this photo is from 1970 to 1980.
I always thought that the side exhaust pipes were added on, till I saw this black one in an ad. What a nice car.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-invicta-01.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-invicta-02.jpg  

Old 15th April 2011, 17:18   #1657
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Here is an early coloured picture of the Invicta. Later on she was bright green. My guess is that this photo is from 1970 to 1980.
I always thought that the side exhaust pipes were added on, till I saw this black one in an ad. What a nice car.

Cheers harit
What is also interesting is that the driver's door has an "elbow cutaway" while the near side door is straight topped.

Does anyone know the provenance of this car that you could share ? Cheers
Old 15th April 2011, 17:32   #1658
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here is an early coloured picture of the Invicta. Later on she was bright green. My guess is that this photo is from 1970 to 1980. I always thought that the side exhaust pipes were added on, till I saw this black one in an ad. What a nice car. Cheers harit
Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
What is also interesting is that the driver's door has an "elbow cutaway" while the near side door is straight topped.
Sorry, I have not put this properly.
BMW 3240 is the car in India, ex Roni Khan and now with Pranlal. The other black car I took from The Automobile, being offered for sale in UK. I was trying to show that such exhausts may have been original.

Cheers harit
Old 15th April 2011, 18:36   #1659
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
A friend had told me that his father had owned this car for a short time, and so did his uncle. They were named Mehta I think. There was an Adenwalla connection, there was a Rony Khan connection, and finally Bhogilal. A stunning looking car, this is one that really deserves to be restored.
Old 16th April 2011, 11:52   #1660
Senior - BHPian

This is a very rare Standard Vanguard Estate car, happens to be in a picture by chance.
Hope you like.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-op-standard-06.jpg  

Old 16th April 2011, 16:39   #1661
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subodh Nath View Post
hi, Could You please show me the Photo of the Idar Duesy according to you and what were the differences between Idar and Indore car.I have seen the car may be i could throw sum light. Subodh Nath
Dear Mr. Nath.

I too would like to see pics of this "mystery" Idar Duesenberg.

Maybe if you can find that picture you had mentioned you had things would be much clearer.

The Idar car could like you mentioned on the Duesenberg thread have come to them from the Holkars.

Do you recall if it was a two door roadster like the Holkar car or someting different
Old 16th April 2011, 20:42   #1662
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry, I have not put this properly.
BMW 3240 is the car in India, ex Roni Khan and now with Pranlal. The other black car I took from The Automobile, being offered for sale in UK. I was trying to show that such exhausts may have been original.

Cheers harit
Hi Harit:
You are pefectly fine with the pictures, no confusion there!

I was indeed referring to BMW-3240 / the Ronnie Khan car when I wrote of the door lines. They are indeed different side to side. The exhausts too are original, again only on one side.
Old 17th April 2011, 20:31   #1663
Senior - BHPian

Today while cleaning my wardrobe I found a photograph of my elder son sitting on our DOLPHIN car in our versova bld.
We had brought this car in 1984. from Gohil Motors Mahim.
But we soon got fed up because of worst service back up by Gohil Motors, who was interested in only selling them and no service backup was givenby them.
We had brought it brand new in 75000/-, and sold it in 1991 for 38000/- in non running conditioin.

My son today is a MBA and is happily married and is working in JP MOGAN
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-my-first-car.jpg  

Old 17th April 2011, 20:38   #1664
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
Today while cleaning my wardrobe I found a photograph of my elder son sitting on our DOLPHIN car in our versova bld.
We had brought this car in 1984. from Gohil Motors Mahim.
But we soon got fed up because of worst service back up by Gohil Motors, who was interested in only selling them and no service backup was givenby them.
We had brought it brand new in 75000/-, and sold it in 1991 for 38000/- in non running conditioin.

My son today is a MBA and is happily married and is working in JP MOGAN
The title song of the TV serial of the 1980's "Yeh Jo Hai Zindagi" also features a similar red Dolphin on Marine Drive. I got a few VCD's of this lovely comedy serial which are now in the market.
Old 18th April 2011, 14:44   #1665
Team-BHP Support

Two more - belonging to my extended family :

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-photo1.jpg

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-photo2.jpg

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks