Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2011, 17:55   #1501
Senior - BHPian

re: Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
Absolutely right, the Unimog was offered to India in the early/mid 50s, around 1954-55 (Daimler Benz had just acquired them at that time, a couple of years before).

Like I said above, the Unimog was offered to India around 1954-55.

But what a pity Cedric, we're talking about this today. The person who had first-hand, hands-on experience of the Mog that was brought to India (for the Indian Army) and tested for suitability for it's use is no longer with me. I wish I had paid more attention to him and remembered all the details now. But what I can yet recollect is that he was really impressed by its go-anywhere ability - apparently, he went off-road while stuck in a huge jam - in the 50s imagine!! - somewhere near Tughlakabad, in Delhi, driving through fields and varying undulating terrain, and rejoined traffic on road, ahead of the stuck lot behind in order to reach Palam airfield on time!

The reason for rejecting such a capable vehicle was, as announced by the bosses (KN Katju, the Defence Minister then, and later once again, during a fresh attempt to gain favour, by his successor VK Krishna Menon) was it's rather high-cost. It seemed that the Unimog was also not suitable for carrying heavy loads (compared to the other trucks on duty/in the fray) due to its unique suspension set-up (massive articulation, long-travel springs, and all).
Since so much posted on the Unimog, here is one more picture of the demonstration. The idea was to show its agrarian capabilities as well. I wish that they had gone in for atleast some Unimogs. BTW, was this evaluation before or after the Jeep scandal?
The team from India is the same that saw the first lot of truck engines off nfor Telco.
There is even a picture of the Mercedes-Benz car collection, there was no Museum, just a hall.

Cheers harit

Just googled, Jeep scandal was in 1948 (boy did we start early) and was for only 155 Jeeps.
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-op-mercedes-03.jpg  

Old 18th January 2011, 15:20   #1502
BHPian

Unimogs

The Indo-German project at Ooty, Tamilnad, had a Unimog, used to be seen often on the road.Also had quite a few VW Variants and Combi vans,all painted in a light bottle green colour.Sadly the Variants and Combi vans were scrapped many years ago at Mettuplayam.One of the Variants I'm told is with a Polytechnic at Coimbatore and has been chopped down the middle.
Does anyone know if the Unimog has survived??
Cheers,
SG
Old 18th January 2011, 15:44   #1503
Senior - BHPian

Re: Unimogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilgee View Post
The Indo-German project at Ooty, Tamilnad, had a Unimog, used to be seen often on the road.Also had quite a few VW Variants and Combi vans,all painted in a light bottle green colour.Sadly the Variants and Combi vans were scrapped many years ago at Mettuplayam.One of the Variants I'm told is with a Polytechnic at Coimbatore and has been chopped down the middle.
Does anyone know if the Unimog has survived??
Cheers,SG
About 20 years ago when I visited Ooty, I visited that famous garden where many movies were shot in the past. There they had a green Mercedes-Benz truck with the flat front, and a big star in the center. Wonder if that is still around.

Cheers harit
Old 20th January 2011, 13:15   #1504
BANNED

Found this pic in Friend's FB album. He got this pic from Kerala.
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-163745_194747407202832_100000027210849_765100_3656499_n.jpg  

Old 20th January 2011, 15:58   #1505
BHPian

counsel,
As one who studies the old registrations, is there any chance you can read the plate on that old photo?
You can PM me if you want.
Cheers & many thanks
Cedric
Old 22nd January 2011, 18:46   #1506
Senior - BHPian

Now to move on from Unimog's.
A new task for Kolkata boys. This is a scene from a race held in that region. In this picture there are 4 cars involved, ROAB, Pegasus, Ixion and ARO. The drivers were Moore, Frazer Casey, Hall and Robertson. In other photos the cars are "Seagull", Allard, and other drivers are Davies, Isaac and Allan Ramsey.
Having read so much about the Calcutta racing scene in recent Auto India issues where they also have featured my car in the past, I was indeed very interested when I got these. Sadly there was no picture with my Lancia. Our friends in Kolkata may elaborate on these cars and drivers.
And tell us where this race was held, and maybe even the year.
Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-op-racing-01.jpg  

Last edited by harit : 22nd January 2011 at 18:49.
Old 23rd January 2011, 18:40   #1507
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Sorry to move back, but yesterday while watching this channel called Black and White (plays Black and White hindi movies all day) a scene was playing from a movie called Bhai Bahen from 1959. There was a fight scene in a garage/workshop in the background were parked at least half a dozen Unimogs! I found his amazing. What was even more amazing was when the fight scene moved outside the Workshop and I saw a Mercedes Service centre sign. Where could this Mercedes Service centre have been? could'nt have been United motors could it? What were so many Unimogs doing there in 1959 if there was no intent to sell them here?

Will try to grab the scenes on my camera, when the movie plays next.
Old 23rd January 2011, 19:00   #1508
Team-BHP Support

@ Harit,

Read (or atleast look at) every single page of this thread :
Niaz's Motor-Racing / Motor rallying Memories : Rally Blog | Rally India - The Home of Indian Rallying

Its awesome, and has many pictures of motorsports from back in the day.

cya
R

PS - Niaz Ali = Hell Kuul on Team-BHP.
Old 24th January 2011, 13:37   #1509
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
@ Harit, Read (or atleast look at) every single page of this thread : Niaz's Motor-Racing / Motor rallying Memories : Rally Blog | Rally India - The Home of Indian Rallying Its awesome, and has many pictures of motorsports from back in the day. cya R
Hi Rehaan, thanks for the link. I had heard about it, somehow not managed to visit. Had a quick glance, will go through in detail soon.
BUT, the period Niaz basically focuses on is the Amby and Fiat era, about 1970 onwards. The picture I put up is from before. I believe that Calcuta racing scene started sometime in 1949 or so. They started with sports cars. There were Lagonda, Bentley, Allard, Alfa Romeo, Lancia, SS100 etc. As years went by, such cars were first modified, then came home built creations with names I have mentioned in my post, and then there was hardly any choice but use Ambys and Fiats because of stupid Government import regulations. My pictures come from the home built specials era, and am looking to some info here, on the cars and drivers. I was expecting some feedback from Kolkata guys, but apparently not much history is available. This thread should also run with feedback and more contributions. Cameras were not so rare that more photos cannot come up.
BTW, our racing scene was quite sad. In Juhu I saw one of the last races, the high light was a race between Maserati, Fiat 125, Gondal special and some more. Completely unmatched cars, yet excitement was there.
Over to Kolkata, please add here.

Cheers harit
Old 25th January 2011, 01:09   #1510
Team-BHP Support

Hi Harit,

See the full thread. There are quite a few pictures from the period you mention, including Mallya's F1 car on the track etc.
(I'm 90% sure they are in the rally.co.in thread i linked to, if not then perhaps some other thread on TBHP )

cya
R

PS - for example (image as saved on my comp - so not sure which thread. Posted by Niaz)

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-hell-kuul-jaguar-kanch01.jpg

Last edited by Rehaan : 25th January 2011 at 01:16.
Old 25th January 2011, 01:41   #1511
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
@ Harit,

Read (or atleast look at) every single page of this thread :
Niaz's Motor-Racing / Motor rallying Memories : Rally Blog | Rally India - The Home of Indian Rallying

Its awesome, and has many pictures of motorsports from back in the day.

cya
R

He has a second thread up there as well which has quite a few nice pictures.

A Pictoral HIstory of Motor Rallying -With Niaz Ali : Rally Blog - Page 6 | Rally India - The Home of Indian Rallying
Old 31st January 2011, 10:42   #1512
BHPian

Quote:
A new task for Kolkata boys. This is a scene from a race held in that region. In this picture there are 4 cars involved, ROAB, Pegasus, Ixion and ARO. The drivers were Moore, Frazer Casey, Hall and Robertson. In other photos the cars are "Seagull", Allard, and other drivers are Davies, Isaac and Allan Ramsey.
Having read so much about the Calcutta racing scene in recent Auto India issues where they also have featured my car in the past, I was indeed very interested when I got these. Sadly there was no picture with my Lancia. Our friends in Kolkata may elaborate on these cars and drivers.
And tell us where this race was held, and maybe even the year.
Cheers harit
Hello Harit,

I'm quite certain the venue is the famous "Barrackpore" racing grounds in Kolkata. Though I haven't heard of any of the car's or driver's you have mentioned, I would like to share some other stories that I know. The lovely Citroen 15-6 which was restored by Bumpu couple of years back and won a few trophies at the Statesman, was earlier owned by a Chinese lady, Mini Pan, who used to race the car on these grounds extensively. Also, there is a home built car, called the "Delila" a very famous car in those days, with a Riley twin cam engine in it, that is lying unused with Saloo Chaudhri. It's a pity that this particular car got into an accident or caught fire or some thing like that and is missing most of it's body work. It's chassis is very advanced, and is a tubular space frame construction, similar to 300SL Gullwing Mercs. I have seen this car, and am told that Saloo and his son's are trying to get the car back into shape again. In the 70s, when the Barrackpore circuit was hugely popular especially on Sundays, Mithil Chatterjee, Niaz Ali, Vijay Mallya etc, all raced on this track. The pic is probably from the mid-70s.

Regards
Prithvi
Old 5th February 2011, 18:45   #1513
Senior - BHPian

This one beats me. What car is this? At first glance I would have said Humber, but the monogram on the fender does not match. Probably an east European car. The car in the background could have been a Volga, the older generation more rounded type. There were many running around in India, brought in by the Russian embassy and consulates in various cities. Maybe Ram knows?

Cheers harit
Attached Images

Last edited by harit : 5th February 2011 at 18:46.
Old 5th February 2011, 23:49   #1514
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This one beats me. What car is this? At first glance I would have said Humber, but the monogram on the fender does not match. Probably an east European car. The car in the background could have been a Volga, the older generation more rounded type. There were many running around in India, brought in by the Russian embassy and consulates in various cities. Maybe Ram knows?
It appears to be a mid 50s Vauxhall, most likely a Wyvern- the monogram seems to say so, cant make out clearly. But definitely a mid 50s Vauxhall:

File:Vauxhall Velox 4-Door Saloon 1955.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

1955 Vauxhall Wyvern | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

The car next to it appears to be a '56 Plymouth/Dodge?
Old 9th February 2011, 14:37   #1515
Senior - BHPian

Found these two pix in an old godown, belonging to the company I work for
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-20101217.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-20101218.jpg  

Last edited by JayD : 9th February 2011 at 14:38.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks