Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2010, 02:05   #151
Distinguished - BHPian

ex-Family FIATs in Trivandrum / Kerala

Wondering if anyone knows anything about the succession of FIATs my Dad has owned. Wonder if any are still around and well..... The years are approximate, the registrations are certain:

Topolino - KLT 906
early / mid 1950's Millicento - KLT 3198
1962 Fiat 1100 - KLT 4828
1969 Fiat 1100 (D?) - KLV 1418
Old 28th August 2010, 13:23   #152
BHPian

I am searching for my late father-in-law's vehicles which were sold off in 1994 after he expired in a bike accident in Mumbai. Since he was survived by only 2 teenage daughters and his wife, they were forced to dispose of these vehicles. I do not have snaps of any of these but could gather the following information by word of mouth.

1. Maruti Omni - Dark brown (chocolate) color - BLB 2555 - Purchased second hand on 4 Feb 1991 and probably sold to someone in Gujarat or Rajasthan

2. Fiat - Sky Blue color - MMD 2433 - model unknown - sold by my FIL on 1 Dec 1990

3. Vintage Ford - Red color - MRJ 2381 - model unknown

4. Imported Honda Bike - Red color and had a fairing - purchased second hand on 13 Feb 1988 - the number was MHB 6340 or MFB 6340

I doubt if any of these have survived, but if they have, it would be a nice sentimental gift for my wife on our anniversary. Any pointers?
Old 29th August 2010, 14:50   #153
BHPian

i am trying to locate our old vespa PL170 scooter bearing no: KER 7073
Old 4th September 2010, 09:54   #154
BHPian

Does anyone from Pune knows where are these beauties now ??
1. Premier President (MHM 6678) - Owned by my uncle in Pune as a first owner & then sold to someone in Mandai area.
2. Vespa 150 (BTI 5361) - Owned by my uncle in Pune till 1996 & then sold to a garage mechanic who sold it to someone in Kothrud.
Old 19th September 2010, 22:42   #155
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

1954 Dodge COnvertible

Here is a story a lost and found classic.

A silver 1954 Dodge Kingsways Convertible was bought new by the Ponnumudi Tea and Rubber Company for the General Manager who was a British and the top man in India. My father used to work for this company till 1969. The car was used by the Britisher till his death in 1976. The car was then gifted to another long serving employee a few years later.

My father has many fond memories of this car and one time was part of his every day life. The car was only used by the General Manager and was something all the juniors dreamed of driving.

Dad and I last saw this car about 12 years back in a workshop behind Manipal Hospital from where it disappeared. We were finally able to trace this car. It was lying in a farm near Bangalore abandoned. The car is largely intact except that the front windscreen is missing. The fast few years of negelect means extensive tinkering will need to be done. Parts are more easily available since these cars were assembled in India.

I am happy to say that we have bought this car. Any help for getting a windscreen will be appreciated. Otherwise we will have to import one.

Happy to bring this car back to our family.

Cheers

KPS

Last edited by KPS : 19th September 2010 at 22:44.
Old 20th September 2010, 10:51   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post

A silver 1954 Dodge Kingsways Convertible was bought new by the Ponnumudi Tea and Rubber Company for the General Manager who was a British and the top man in India. My father used to work for this company till 1969. The car was used by the Britisher till his death in 1976. The car was then gifted to another long serving employee a few years later.

My father has many fond memories of this car and one time was part of his every day life. The car was only used by the General Manager and was something all the juniors dreamed of driving.

Dad and I last saw this car about 12 years back in a workshop behind Manipal Hospital from where it disappeared. We were finally able to trace this car. It was lying in a farm near Bangalore abandoned. The car is largely intact except that the front windscreen is missing. The fast few years of negelect means extensive tinkering will need to be done. Parts are more easily available since these cars were assembled in India.

I am happy to say that we have bought this car. Any help for getting a windscreen will be appreciated. Otherwise we will have to import one.

Happy to bring this car back to our family.

Cheers

KPS
great news KPS....now it si with the family again....do put up some pictures for us please
Old 20th September 2010, 11:58   #157
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
great news KPS....now it si with the family again....do put up some pictures for us please
Thanks Wasif, yes it is nice to have this car back in the family though now as owners!

Here are the pictures and will definitely start a thread on its restoration going forward. The car needs extensive tinkering as can been seen in the pictures. The engine, dash, convertible roof etc are all untouched and remains original. The car was last restored in 1972 by Addisons, Bangalore. Hence after 1972 this will be the first time it will have a major make over.

Cheers

KPS

Where is it now? - Lost & Found Classics-dodge-3.jpg
Where is it now? - Lost & Found Classics-dodge-4.jpg
Old 20th September 2010, 13:25   #158
Senior - BHPian

Looks eminently restorable and has been saved at the right time.

Do post some pictures of the interior and the engine bay too.
Old 20th September 2010, 17:48   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Wasif, yes it is nice to have this car back in the family though now as owners!
Very nice car. As for the windshield there are people who do make windshield on special order. One being Tutu Dhawan in Delhi. Also you can check the glass shop opposite to Jadsons, they might be having it or can make it. As per the owner they manufacture Atultuf glasses.
Old 22nd September 2010, 00:01   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

A silver 1954 Dodge Kingsways Convertible ............Happy to bring this car back to our family. Cheers KPS
Great purchase. One of the good useable and good looking convertibles still available, sometimes.
Suggest you import the glass, buy a complete set of ALL rubbers from Steele, and search ebay for parts, specially cosmetics. Local avaiolability of parts is not very good.

Cheers harit
Old 22nd September 2010, 12:06   #161
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Great purchase. One of the good useable and good looking convertibles still available, sometimes.
Suggest you import the glass, buy a complete set of ALL rubbers from Steele, and search ebay for parts, specially cosmetics. Local avaiolability of parts is not very good.

Cheers harit
Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Very nice car. As for the windshield there are people who do make windshield on special order. One being Tutu Dhawan in Delhi. Also you can check the glass shop opposite to Jadsons, they might be having it or can make it. As per the owner they manufacture Atultuf glasses.
Thank you for your feed back. I plan to restore over the the next 12 months and hence should given me time to plan this restoration.

The nice thing of these cars is that they are very drivable.

regards

KPS
Old 23rd September 2010, 00:30   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Great purchase. One of the good useable and good looking convertibles still available, sometimes. Cheers harit
Quote:
Thank you for your feed back. The nice thing of these cars is that they are very drivable. Regards KPS
Both mean the same thing
Strongly suggest that you import a glass if you are going to use the car. Home m,ade glasses tend to be distorted.

Cheers Harit
Old 23rd September 2010, 11:10   #163
Senior - BHPian

Calling Vintage buffs from Hyderabad.

I am looking to find a 1939 Buick Century Sedan that was up for sale with a Sardar dealer in Secunderabad int he late nineties just next to Swapnalok Complex

He had bought this lot of three cars from a farm where they were in storage for over 40 years. The other two cars were a 30 Ford Model A Tourer and a Adler Trumf Sedan.

Adler is now with Harit and I am very keen in finding out what happened to the Buick.

It was a unique car as it had a factory sunroof which is rare in those cars along with twin sidemounts. Also it was bodied by Fleetwood instead of the usual Fisher bodies that are found on Buicks of this period.

All three of theses cars have a remarkable history and are part of the Hyderabad story and need to be preserved.

Please let me know if anyone knows where this Buick is now. It was grey in colour and had a hole in its front grille in need of full restoration.
Old 12th October 2010, 08:33   #164
BHPian

58 Edsel Villager station wagon

This car was imported by an American missionary and was in service till the early 70's in and around Delhi. The last it was seen on blocks in Ghaziabad
til mid 80's
During my last visit to Delhi I was informed that it was sold to a collector(?)
for around 20 k.Any one seen this car ? It was cream colored with blue trim
and was a rare car in India, only two were known to have been imported. Even in the States, Edsels are prized for their rarity.
Any one seen or heard about this beauty? The last Plate on this gem was
USL ---.
It was a V8, 400 CID, three on the column, no power brakes or Steering. In other words, a totally every day work car. The front license plate frame had the dealer's name "Coast Edsel Glendale ". Any info?
Priyo
Old 12th October 2010, 11:15   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by priyo View Post
This car was imported by an American missionary and was in service till the early 70's in and around Delhi. The last it was seen on blocks in Ghaziabad
til mid 80's
During my last visit to Delhi I was informed that it was sold to a collector(?) for around 20 k.Any one seen this car ? It was cream colored with blue trim and was a rare car in India, only two were known to have been imported. Even in the States, Edsels are prized for their rarity.
Any one seen or heard about this beauty? The last Plate on this gem was
USL ---. It was a V8, 400 CID, three on the column, no power brakes or Steering. In other words, a totally every day work car. The front license plate frame had the dealer's name "Coast Edsel Glendale ". Any info?
Priyo
There is/was one in the Titus collection.
There was a sedan in Mumbai, have no idea about her fate.

Cheers harit

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks