Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2015, 18:47   #331
Team-BHP Support

Re: Media Matter Related to Vintage and Classic Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by akadam View Post
Absolutely agree with Ajay - we are 1st cousins and everyone in our family fondly remember these vehicles. Regarding the article, it is full of errors...here is another one:

The purple blue Mercedes Benz Classic Armoured vehicle is another gorgeous possession of his, which he got in 1991. In the heavy traffic of the City, it’s like a jolt of refreshing blue streaking through. “The car is a 1994 make with 12 cylinders and people stare at it whenever I drive it,” beams Subramani.
If I am right, it is deep blue and is an S 500. The photos in the paper show an absence of the V12 badges on the rear pillar. I remember seeing it during the launch of the MB owners club
Old 18th August 2015, 07:03   #332
Senior - BHPian

" The grand wheels "
Nina C George, Aug 18, 2015, DHNS

Cars always fascinated Amarnath, a businessman and proud owner of a fleet of classic cars and two wheelers. He grew up watching his father drive around in the most expensive of cars and as a child, he always dreamt of owning one of his own someday. As the years passed by, Amarnath’s interest in cars grew into a passion.

Among the prized possessions in his stable is a 1963 model of Standard Herald that he bought a while ago. Explaining how he stumbled upon it, Amarnath says, “I was always drawn to two-door cars. They are grand and look like an Indian Ferrari.” He then points towards a 1952 model of a Morris Minor, “It was in a pitiable state when I first saw it two years ago. It had to be brought back to life, so I found the perfect restorer in my friend Sripathy, an expert on just about any car. He helped me restore it and bring it to perfect running condition.”

Walk further on and a 1952 model Hillman Minx catches your attention. “That’s my father’s car,” he explains, “My father always wanted to own a Hillman. He didn’t miss the chance to buy it as soon as the opportunity arose.” He also has two Mercedes standing at the far corner. “These are 1973 (yellow) and 1982 (blue) models of compact Mercedes which you now see only in the movies. They are in perfect condition and we usually drive around in them only on the weekends,” he says.
to enjoy the complete article:
http://www.deccanherald.com/content/...nd-wheels.html
Attached Thumbnails
Media Matter Related to Vintage and Classic Cars-mb-gw.jpg  

Last edited by vinay kamath : 18th August 2015 at 07:08.
vinay kamath is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st August 2015, 08:04   #333
Senior - BHPian

"Siddu takes a ride in Merc used by Urs"

Bengaluru: Aug 21, 2015, DHNS:

Chief Minister Siddaramaiah takes a ride in the Mercedes Benz car used by former chief minister, the late Devaraj Urs, in Bengaluru on Thursday.

Chief Minister Siddaramaiah stole the limelight at the Vidhana Soudha on Thursday, when he took a ride in a Mercedes Benz car used by former chief minister, the late Devaraj Urs.

The chief minister took the ride after garlanding a portrait of Devaraj Urs on the occasion of his birth anniversary. Social Welfare Minister H Anjaneya accompanied him.

Babu, who was a close associate of Urs, is currently the owner of the car. He attended the event at Vidhana Soudha.

To enjoy the complete article,
http://www.deccanherald.com/content/...merc-used.html
Attached Thumbnails
Media Matter Related to Vintage and Classic Cars-siddu.jpg  

Last edited by ajmat : 21st August 2015 at 10:58.
Old 25th August 2015, 07:16   #334
Senior - BHPian

"The fleet of beauties"

DHNS Metrolife 25-08-2015

In 1979, when Dr Ravi Prakash and his friend were driving through the quaint streets of Chennai, a rather unusual car driving past caught their attention. "I asked my friend which car it was and he said that it was a 1937 Sunbeam Talbot 2 liter and that it was actually up for sale," recalls Dr Ravi.

The car's owner, General Mahadevan, was offering it for Rs 40,000. Though a student back then, Ravi decided to buy the car. The General took ill and the deal went cold. A few months later, Ravi got a call from the General's wife, who said he had passed away and asked Ravi to come and collect the car. "When I went to collect it, the General's wife handed over the keys to me and refused the money saying that the General had willed it to me," says Dr Ravi. This was the beginning of his journey and today, Dr Ravi, fondly known as 'Doc', has a grand collection of veteran, Edwardian, vintage and classic cars numbering 225, 60 motorcycles, 40-odd carriages and 50-odd cycles.

The 'Doc' says his passion would not have lasted this long had it not been for the constant support of his wife Sabena and two daughters - Shefali and Rupali.

Dr Ravi dotes on every single vehicle in his collection. The 1937 Sunbeam Talbot 2 liter though holds a special place in his heart as it was not only his first car but also the first one he drove.

"It was 1992 and we took the car to Hyderabad for a rally. Our children were very small and the car gave a little problem but it was a memorable drive," he says.

Notable among Dr Ravi's collection is a 1909 Wolseley, formerly owned by Maharaja of Cooch Beehar. "It's a British make and I bought it from one of my closest friends," says Ravi. The 1971 Alfa Romeo Spider convertible, of Italian make, is worth a mention too. "It originally belonged to Maharaja Manvendar Singh of Bharwani," he says. Then there is the 1962 Jaguar Mk II, formerly owned by Maharaja of Udaipur, which is a British make. Dr Ravi says that he picked up the 1928 Rolls Royce Phantom I, body built as a carriage for ceremonial use which is also a British make, during one of the auctions in the United Kingdom. There's also the 1933 Graham Car, formerly owned by Maharaja of Nabha. Among his collection of bikes, the 1958 BSA Golden Flash Motorcycle 650 cc, Twin cylinder (British make) and 1938 Harley Davidson Motorcycle 750 cc and V Twin cylinder (USA make) particularly stand out.

to enjoy the complete article, please use the link:
http://www.deccanherald.com/content/...-beauties.html
Attached Images

Last edited by vinay kamath : 25th August 2015 at 07:19.
Old 29th August 2015, 08:17   #335
Senior - BHPian

"A Car of Rich Stock"

When the courts famously auctioned off stock market scam accused Harshad Mehta's fleet of imported cars and other assets in the 1990s, the buzz was that entrepreneur Raja Dhody was among Mumbai's elite to acquire one of the fast and furious automobiles.

Dhody at that time didn't confirm the news about his new possession, but did recently reveal it to ET Panache. "Oh yes, I had bought Harshad Mehta's Toyota Lexus. Getting your hands on an imported car was a big deal in those days, so ..

Read more at:
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...campaign=cppst
Attached Thumbnails
Media Matter Related to Vintage and Classic Cars-hm1.jpg  

Media Matter Related to Vintage and Classic Cars-hm2.jpg  

Old 2nd September 2015, 22:32   #336
Senior - BHPian

In the latest GQ magazine a small coverage of the beautiful Geedee Naidu museum in Coimbatore.

Cheers

Media Matter Related to Vintage and Classic Cars-imageuploadedbyteambhp1441213348.635910.jpgMedia Matter Related to Vintage and Classic Cars-imageuploadedbyteambhp1441213361.894916.jpg
kasli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2015, 19:12   #337
Senior - BHPian

" Wonders on four wheels "

Anushka Sivakumar, September 1, 2015, DHNS

(abstract)
Like most young boys, Anil too grew up with a strong liking for automobiles and an urge to possess and drive a vintage beauty around the City. At that time, one of his friends in Madras owned an Austin and Anil got it shipped from there. However, he soon found out that the car wasn’t in a good condition and disposed it off. But his fascination for an Austin remained and he soon began searching for another one. He found a convertible in Pune and decided to own a sleek Austin from England, also called ‘Baby Austin’.

“It was an old piece of junk,” he describes, which he then restored in Bengaluru. “I bought the Austin 1937, which is 78 years old now. The mechanic who restored it was Kannan of LCK Garage. He is older than the car itself and still active! We needed tyres for our Austin and couldn’t find them in India. So we looked for them in every automobile shop abroad but in vain. I finally found a contact in the United Kingdom and called up a shop there for tyres. When I told him that I was calling from India, he laughed and said that they were from India itself. The cost of shipping them was more than the cost of the tyres.”

However, in the process of looking for an Austin, he got another surprise. The lover of convertibles came across a stunning red 1952 Morris Minor, a British convertible and picked it up from Pune.(continued)

to enjoy the complete article, please open the PDF file attached below and access the link below:
http://www.deccanherald.com/content/...ur-wheels.html

Vinay adds : Sri Kannan Sr of LCK garage is my very old associate since 1987 ,and he is relocating/retiring longterm to a spiritual place in Tamil Nadu this week for personal reasons.
Attached Thumbnails
Media Matter Related to Vintage and Classic Cars-mm.jpg  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf aus.pdf (130.3 KB, 289 views)

Last edited by vinay kamath : 3rd September 2015 at 19:19.
Old 8th September 2015, 07:06   #338
Senior - BHPian

'It was love at first sight'
Deccan Herald September 8, 2015

Dr KC Shantha Prasad was still studying medicine when he bought his first classic car, a 1963 model of Volkswagen Beetle. "I had saved up some money to buy the car. I fell in love with the cute little car, with its left hand drive. It was love at first sight!" he confesses. A consulting neurologist with NIMHANS until recently, he voluntarily quit his job and bought a piece of land in Nanjangud, near Mysuru, where he hopes to start an organic farm.

The Volkswagen Beetle was just the beginning of the 63-year-old doctor's hand-picked collection of the choicest of the cars. His fleet certainly offers a visual treat - he recently added a 1938 model Nash to his grand line up of a Mercedes Benz 300TD, which is a five-cylinder automatic, 1951 and 1953 models of Morris Minor, a 1972 model Fiat and a 1989 model Ambassador Marc 4.

to enjoy the complete article and photos, click on the link below:

http://www.deccanherald.com/content/...rst-sight.html

Last edited by vinay kamath : 8th September 2015 at 07:19.
Old 8th September 2015, 08:10   #339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinay kamath View Post

....he recently added a 1938 model Nash...
The Nash is the same car that was 'restored' at a local garage near my home. A hasty and a shoddy job.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ml#post3720122
Old 8th September 2015, 14:50   #340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
The Nash is the same car that was 'restored' at a local garage near my home. A hasty and a shoddy job.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ml#post3720122
Does the Nash still run on a Perkin's Diesel engine or has the owner put the original Nash engine?
Old 8th September 2015, 14:56   #341
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
Does the Nash still run on a Perkin's Diesel engine or has the owner put the original Nash engine?
Last I saw, it still had the Perkins heart. This was at Mysore, post restoration.

But, I am not aware if the new owner, the Doctor, gave it a heart transplant at Bangalore; though I'm somehow inclined to think otherwise.
Old 15th September 2015, 07:26   #342
Senior - BHPian

" A blazing track record "
DHNS 14-09-2015

It is the daredevil inside him, which always aspired to go on off road trips, that made him develop a love for Mahindra Jeeps. “I became firm on buying a classic Mahindra Jeep after I drove the 1960 Willy Jeep owned by my friend. One drive and it blew my mind away!” Shanthan exclaims.

The overpowering joy of this drive trawled all his savings towards buying a classic wheel and he was on the lookout for the 1986 Mahindra Jeep for almost a year. “I looked through all the websites and found a dealer in Haryana, who sells only the classic jeeps. I got in touch with him and he gave me another dealer’s number, who was right here in the City. I found my true love here and there was no turning back,” he says.

Powerful engine, sturdy drive, unmatched thrill; the jeep never fails to knock him off his mind every time he drives it. “She is alluring and I call her ‘Blaze’,” he says. Getting hands on her just three months back, this jeep is his ‘30-year-old girlfriend’.

http://www.deccanherald.com/content/...ck-record.html
Attached Thumbnails
Media Matter Related to Vintage and Classic Cars-jeep55.jpg  

Last edited by vinay kamath : 15th September 2015 at 07:30.
Old 22nd September 2015, 12:42   #343
Senior - BHPian

" Classic beauties on two wheels "
Deccan Herad Metro Life 22-09-2015

The Agarwal household has always had a soft corner for everything that is old. Walk into their cosy little home in Jayanagar and you will be stunned by their line of classic bikes.

It is Ashok Agarwal who first brought home an RD350, a two-stroke motorcycle produced by Yamaha from 1973 to 1975, for a sum of Rs 21,800 in 1984. Now, his son Vishal Agarwal has taken over. He not only keeps researching about vintage and classic bikes but also owns a fleet of 15 classic bikes himself. "As a child, I used to watch my father ride the RD350 and that was the beginning of my dream," says Vishal. It's not only the sight of the bikes but also the roar of these beasts that left him spellbound as a child. "I first started collecting them when I was in college. I researched a lot and social media also helped me find the bikes that I was looking for. It took some time but I finally found the exact model that I wanted to buy. You will also find replicas of the old classic bikes but I wanted the original and I was willing to go to any extent to get it," he confesses.

The notable bikes in Vishal's collection include a 1974 model of an Ideal Jawa with original bell bottom mudguards and guitar seat. He also has a 1984 Yamaha RD350 single-handed model. "This bike has been with the family for the last three decades. It's a 350cc one with double engine and a six gear speed box. It is the fastest two-stroke bike ever made in the country. They started manufacturing it in 1983 but later discontinued it," recalls Vishal. He also has a 1973 model of a Royal Enfield which has breaks on the left side and gears on the right. "We brought it in from Mysuru," he adds.

(Vishal can be reached at vishal_biker@yahoo.com)

http://www.deccanherald.com/content/...wo-wheels.html

I add : RD350s were made between 1983-1995

Last edited by vinay kamath : 22nd September 2015 at 12:46.
Old 29th September 2015, 06:55   #344
Senior - BHPian

" The Italian connection "
Deccan Herald 29-09-2015

They grew up alongside the Italian beauty and their childhood memories are incomplete without reminiscing their grandfather's 1954 Fiat 1100. Passionate about classic wheels, cousins Shoib and Zakir Kalami currently own a 1962 Fiat 1100 and a very unusual 1952 Matador. It is the nostalgia of the Fiat and the robust make of the Matador that holds a special place in their life. The duo also owned a left hand drive Willy jeep, which they had to let go for personal reasons, and they say, "This jeep is heavily missed."

to enjoy the complete article,
http://www.deccanherald.com/content/...onnection.html
Attached Thumbnails
Media Matter Related to Vintage and Classic Cars-silver-1100.jpg  

Old 6th October 2015, 07:04   #345
Senior - BHPian

" Going down the past lane "
DHNS 06-10-2015

C Venkatadri grew up in the company of bikes and their spares. He was barely three years old when he had his first ride on the bike, his father being a passionate biker and motorist. It was in his father's garage that he started experimenting with these machines as a child. "I would watch my father effortlessly work on his fleet of vintage cars and bikes. I learnt the mechanics of restoring and repairing cars and bikes from him," explains Venkatadri, who now owns a line of 42 vintage and classic bikes.

He began seriously collecting vintage and classic bikes only from 2005. "As I grew up, I wanted to ride all kinds of bikes to satiate my curiosity and wasted no time in hitting the racing tracks. I have had my share of victories there as well," he says. The first vintage bike that he rode was his father's Lambretta scooter. He recollects that the very first bike that he bought was a 1932 model of DKW 3PS RT100, which had only half the parts. "The bike was in shambles when I first spotted it and had only half the parts. It weighed about 50 kg and was one of the very few bikes that had a hand gear. It was extensively used by the Army during World War I and II," narrates Venkatadri. His next purchase was an RD 350 model. He then went on to buy himself a 350 CC Matchless Military 1948 model, which happens to be one of the oldest marques of British motorcycles and later added a Rajdoot Bobby 1976 model GTS 175 cc, to his already grand line-up. 'It's pretty exhaustive to list all of the 42 bikes. Of them, ten are vintage and rest fall under the classic bike category," he adds.

The avid collector recalls with a sense of nostalgia his association with a 1978 model of a Vijay superbike. "The bike was in a bad condition when I first bought it but when I took it to the original owner, after its restoration, the man's eyes welled with tears and I still remember how he rode the bike and was happy that it had come into the right hands," he says.

to enjoy the complete article, please access th link below:
http://www.deccanherald.com/content/...past-lane.html

(Venkatadri can be contacted on 9448070588.)
Attached Thumbnails
Media Matter Related to Vintage and Classic Cars-dh.jpg  

Last edited by vinay kamath : 6th October 2015 at 07:07.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks