Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2014, 20:45   #241
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Media Matter Related to Vintage and Classic Cars

A very recent picture appearing in The Telegraph, Kolkata, showing a street. A white Landmaster is seen moving very casually and appears to be a daily driver. It most probably has "Govt of West Bengal" written on its number plate.

Media Matter Related to Vintage and Classic Cars-sourya-109.jpg

(Thankful acknowldgements to Mr Souryadeep Mukherjee of Kolkata, for sending the image)
anjan_c2007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2014, 19:28   #242
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
A very recent picture appearing in The Telegraph, Kolkata, showing a street. A white Landmaster is seen moving very casually and appears to be a daily driver. It most probably has "Govt of West Bengal" written on its number plate.

Attachment 1255667

(Thankful acknowldgements to Mr Souryadeep Mukherjee of Kolkata, for sending the image)
This is probably the car Can't say I remember where I found the picture, due credit to whoever.

Media Matter Related to Vintage and Classic Cars-01.jpg
karlosdeville is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th July 2014, 09:47   #243
Senior - BHPian

BBC NEWS :

India's iconic Ambassador car: Your memories
Family getting into an Ambassador car

Last week the Magazine reported that production of India's famous Ambassador car has been stopped due to low demand.

The article, which reflected on some of the cars finest and most frustrating features, prompted readers to send us their own memories of the iconic car.

I had the pleasure and pain of travelling in Ambassadors in the 1980s. I remember one journey when the glove box kept on falling open, and while still driving along (at speed) the driver took the keys out of the ignition, leaned over and locked the glove box. Jamie, St Albans, UK

For me Ambassador is India. I remember as a teenager living in Bombay how keys fitted several cars and they all looked alike. Sometimes you drove off in the wrong one and had to go back and find your own. Lis Homan, Northumberland, UK

The only car I know that could lose a wheel and maintain its inimitable road-holding. In 1980 I lost one outside the Calcutta Zoo swerving to avoid a surging mass of humanity fleeing a torrential storm. The old bus got me home regardless and was back on the road next day. G J Prosser, Toronto, Canada

Man blesses his Ambassador taxi
About 15 years ago I was in an Ambassador - the only one in a long cavalcade of vehicles, all others being big, new seven-seater SUVs like Tata Sumos. We were going up to the Himalayas and my car was always way behind the others as we had to frequently stop and throw water over the bonnet and radiator to cool it down. When we came to ford a tumbling rocky river, the SUVs sailed through no bother. I didn't think we could possibly do it in the Ambassador but my driver revved the engine and charged into the river. Almost immediately the water poured into the car and I put my feet up on the dashboard as it filled the footwell. We crunched, coughed and staggered through that river with the throttle at full whack to keep the spluttering engine alive, the rocks throwing us all over the place - but we made it. It was a hilarious triumph for mad Indian tenacity plus the astonishing Ambassador. Liz Kingsnorth, Chennai, India

I have been privileged to own an Ambassador car for more than 46 years, which I have driven all over India - from the northern Himalayas, Kashmir, Nepal, Sikkim and the north, all over central, western and southern India, right down to Kanyakumari - the southern tip of India. All this in only one single car, with six or seven persons (my wife, children and friends), a fully loaded boot and bags on the roof-top carrier. Each journey was for about 30-35 days. The car stood rough, narrow and sometimes very steep roads, and once even passed through the waters of Kamla river in Nepal. The only occasional problem was with the dynamo (carbon brush), but otherwise we never experienced any mechanical breakdown. Even when I owned other modern cars in later years, I still preferred to use my Amby, but only a year back I reluctantly gifted this car to a well-known car lover, on condition that he has not to sell it. I am glad to know that he has now restored it to its original condition. Dorab Tata, Mumbai, India

Kanyakumari in southern India
The Thiruvalluvar Statue in Kanyakumari, southern India
Me, my mom and dad travelled to Kerala from Durgapur [to deliver] a brand new Amby [ordered] by one of our relatives - a journey that took five days. This was maybe more than 20 years back when roads were pretty bad. Near Vijayawada, the gear box developed a snag and we were stranded there for two days while the requisite part came by road. By the time we reached my father's hometown in Kollam, the car was rattling all over - the door had to be tied to the B pillar using a towel and the temperature gauge too gave up the ghost. In short we delivered a rattling, wheezing contraption to my thrilled relative - the owner - who was overjoyed to see it. He put to rest all apprehensions that we might have had, saying a new Ambassador is always taken apart and tightened, welded, and generally made fit for its life ahead. Roshith Chandran, Trivandrum, Kerala, India

While studying in India, the Ambassador was the first car I learned to drive in. The car was so heavy, and engaging the gears was a Herculean task - literally. I shall never forget the experience. Nitin Chibber, Virginia, US

I loved the Ambassador. Yes, the build quality was appalling, you needed to pump the gas pedal while turning the ignition, the air conditioning never worked, and it was unreliable as hell... but you need a heart of stone to dislike this baby. I would import this car in a heartbeat if Canada's import laws allowed it. Ben, Canada

Mechanics repair Ambassador car
My dad, who is in India, lovingly maintains a 1967 model Ambassador which his dad bought new. This car was among the first handful of cars in my hometown in Kerala. Everyone in our family learned to drive in that car. My dad spends more money maintaining that car every year than it is actually worth, and I must say it's beautifully maintained and has all the original parts including a new SU carburettor from the UK. It's a treat to drive it, especially through our town where everyone knows the car. Roshan Mani, London, UK

I have very bad memories of our Ambassador car that my father bought in Calcutta in 1962 with his hard-earned money. Our car had a constant problem with the axle rods. They would break unpredictably if the clutch was not released very slowly. It happened several times even though every time they were replaced by genuine parts. The repair was expensive. The carelessness of the manufacturer is evident from the fact that the look of the Ambassador has remained essentially the same as our 1962 model. TKG, Houston, US

Front of a disused Ambassador car
We have travelled round India over the last 10 years on holidays in a selection of these fab vehicles. At times, the steering seemed to have no connection whatsoever to the wheels. A few were comfortable, most were not. Sometimes the windows worked, mostly they didn't. A few even had no floor pan and the road whizzed under our feet. Would we have changed a moment? No. These vehicles are India, anything else would've felt pretentious. They are erratic, old-fashioned and wonderful and every one had character. Over the years and from Kerala to Darjeeling with Ganesh dangling from the space where the reversing mirror should have been, they reigned supreme and transported us safely and in style... this is a sad day. Marlene Kemp, Southampton, UK

Ambassador taxis in Calcutta, India
I still remember way back in 1977 when I was a school kid settled in central India, my dad purchased a second-hand Ambassador car from Calcutta as it was quite cheap and he drove back home with a driver covering a journey of 862km (535 miles) in summer time. I was so excited to see the lovely sky-blue car. Gradually my dad learned to drive and with the same car we travelled the very next year to south India covering a distance of 3,000km (1685 miles) and then to Kashmir the year after covering a total distance of 2,043km (1,270 miles). I still remember the journey which was full of thrills and lots of bitter memories - like the car failing to start in the middle of the jungle in south India. In 1993 when I was working on a tea estate in North Bengal, my dad phoned me and asked me that if I would be interested to keep his car as a fond memory. I instantly said " yes". I owned the car for around five years and before departing to Calcutta on a new assignment I finally sold it to a garage owner at a very cheap price. I now think I should not have and this makes me feel bit guilty. Abhijit Bhattacharya, London, UK

I have hair-raising memories of travelling by Ambassador taxi late at night in Kerala between towns. For some unfathomable reason drivers turned their headlights off when they felt there was nothing else on the road. The problem was that there was never nothing on the road and it was either cows, carts, unlit lorries, pedestrians - my friend in the front seat needed a very stiff drink once we reached our destination unscathed. Helen Close, Wallingford, UK

Cattle in Rikishesh, India
I grew up with the Ambassador. There will never really ever be a car quite like it. An aunt of mine had a gold-coloured one and when it drew up at the gates of our school to collect my cousins, all of us used to feel star-struck. It's an iconic car made for Indian roads. I learned to drive in one. My grandmother lent me her prized Ambassador - I used to drive her to the beach and back. Preetha, London, UK

I learned to drive late, and I drove an Ambassador on almost non-existent roads. It could drive through potholes and a couple of feet of water-logging. But its biggest advantage was at times it could accommodate six or seven passengers comfortably besides me. The boot could accommodate any amount of luggage. The fuel gauge never worked, the starter button got stuck now and then and it was a real gas-guzzler. But the tough steering wheel or stick-shift gear never troubled me. It was a pleasure to ride. Today I really miss my Ambassador. Supriya Ghosh, Bhavnagar, Gujarat, India

I found myself in the embarrassing position of being the only person on a short wildlife tour in Uttar Pradesh in December 2008. I had my own driver, guide, and Ambassador car - gleaming - for four days. I never got used to the "rich Westerner" status of it, but the car was great fun. Venetia Caine, Glastonbury, UK
Venetia Caine Ambassador car

Subscribe to the BBC News Magazine's email newsletter to get articles sent to your inbox.

the link : http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-28312196
Attached Thumbnails
Media Matter Related to Vintage and Classic Cars-a1.jpg  

Media Matter Related to Vintage and Classic Cars-a2.jpg  

Media Matter Related to Vintage and Classic Cars-a3.jpg  

Media Matter Related to Vintage and Classic Cars-a4.jpg  

Media Matter Related to Vintage and Classic Cars-a5.jpg  

Media Matter Related to Vintage and Classic Cars-a6.jpg  

Media Matter Related to Vintage and Classic Cars-a7.jpg  

Media Matter Related to Vintage and Classic Cars-a8.jpg  

Last edited by vinay kamath : 18th July 2014 at 09:52.
vinay kamath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2014, 17:44   #244
Senior - BHPian

an ad that I noticed
Attached Images

Old 21st July 2014, 21:39   #245
Senior - BHPian

today's Deccan Herald carries this historical picture of Astronaut Neil Armstrong's reception convoy in the US in 1969
Attached Thumbnails
Media Matter Related to Vintage and Classic Cars-neil-armstrong.jpg  

Old 21st July 2014, 22:21   #246
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinay kamath View Post
today's Deccan Herald carries this historical picture of Astronaut Neil Armstrong's reception convoy in the US in 1969
Here they are, in our own neck of the woods. We have seen this picture before.

Media Matter Related to Vintage and Classic Cars-apollo-11-bombay.jpg

Last edited by travancore : 21st July 2014 at 22:23.
travancore is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2014, 16:03   #247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Here they are, in our own neck of the woods. We have seen this picture before.
Here is another photo of the same parade, but in colour. Actually is not a Femina cover, it was in a Hindi filmy mag called Dharmayug.

I had witnessed this parade at Haji Ali with a view from the balcony of an acquaintance of my folks.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Media Matter Related to Vintage and Classic Cars-armstrong.jpg  

Last edited by harit : 23rd July 2014 at 16:18.
harit is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th July 2014, 20:06   #248
Senior - BHPian

a classic Amby in an advertisement !
Attached Thumbnails
Media Matter Related to Vintage and Classic Cars-amby.jpg  

Old 9th August 2014, 18:35   #249
Senior - BHPian

Appeared in this Months GQ magazine

Cheers Media Matter Related to Vintage and Classic Cars-imageuploadedbyteambhp1407589498.825158.jpgMedia Matter Related to Vintage and Classic Cars-imageuploadedbyteambhp1407589513.228054.jpgMedia Matter Related to Vintage and Classic Cars-imageuploadedbyteambhp1407589526.648619.jpg
kasli is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th September 2014, 07:44   #250
Senior - BHPian

The Classic Advertisement/Brochure Thread.

This mornings Mumbai Mirror carried an article of some property dispute etc .. But had some cars in the background

Cheers Media Matter Related to Vintage and Classic Cars-imageuploadedbyteambhp1411956767.399447.jpg

Can be spotted is a Fiat , Morris , Ford B model and in the back ground a scooter and a might be Morris 8 ?

Mods please repost to the correct thread

Last edited by kasli : 29th September 2014 at 07:45.
kasli is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th September 2014, 08:01   #251
BHPian

Re: The Classic Advertisement/Brochure Thread.

These cars belong to a popular Bombay restorer, the property in question being under dispute in Walkeshwar.
Bulldogji is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2015, 14:46   #252
Senior - BHPian

This appeared in today's Jaipur edition TOI

http://epaperbeta.timesofindia.com/A...02012015002022

Jan 02 2015 : The Times of India (Jaipur)
In a first, Raj may allow vintage car rides to promote tourism
Rachnasingh
Jaipur:

If all goes well, Rajasthan is likely to be the first state to have a ‘Vintage and Classic Automobile’ policy that would add a new dimension to its heritage tourism.
The Indian Heritage Hotel Association (IHHA) has requested chief minister Vasundhara Raje for a policy on vintage and heritage cars in the state to enhance the tourism experience, to which the CM has agreed in-principle.

“Most developed countries have a policy to encourage the restoration of vintage and classic cars. They see the automobile heritage as an important part of their narrative, but India despite banning export of vintage cars and declaring it national heritage, has done little to promote its heritage. These cars substantially enhance the heritage ambience of a place and promote tourism and we are hopeful to see a policy in place soon,“ said Vikram Singh, member, committee for vintage cars, IHHA and a noted vintage car collector and enthusiast.

Because these cars are not officially registered, it is estimated that the state has nearly 300 vintage and classic cars. Some of these cars are owned and displayed for tourism at 22 heritage properties in the state, but due to lack of a policy, the owners can't really use them for tourism.

“There is a lot of demand for vintage cars by the foreigners. Some even bring their vintageclassic cars from abroad to travel around Rajasthan as it complements the regal landscape. But living here we don’t know how to put these cars to use for tourism. Do we label them as taxis when someone wants to hire an old car? In case of an accident, what are the safety regulations and insurance applicable is unclear,” said Vikram who is also a member Heritage Motoring Club of India, the most active organization in India for old cars.

Vintage and classic automobiles need to be treated separately for tourism purposes within the Motor Vehicles Act.

These vehicles are more a piece of art and antiques, history and culture and provide valuable aesthetics and create national wealth. But the Motor Vehicles Act treats all vehicles as equal as modern tools for transportation and need to have standards based on contemporary science.

“These cars are hardly on the road and they are driven at much slower speeds, in safe conditions, and by experienced drivers. There are no known cases in the history of automobiles in India where a heritage automobile has been involved in an accident of any consequence. They just add value to a town or an occasion by their presence, but high tax discourages their acquisition, and transfer,” said Vikram. Earlier, the state owned far more heritage cars that were exported pre-1970s when the government enforced a total ban on the export of cars manufactured till 1940, classified as Vintage because they are classified as ‘National Heritage’. Vehicles made between 1941 and 1960, labelled 'classic', could be taken out only after sanction by the Chief Controller of Imports and Exports (CCIE).

But now that the restrictions are lifted on the import of pre-1950 cars into India, a lot of automobile enthusiasts are awaiting a policy wherein the government facilitates use of heritage cars for tourism.

Last edited by KartikeyaL : 2nd January 2015 at 14:47.
KartikeyaL is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2015, 13:52   #253
Distinguished - BHPian

This piece on artist Vidita Singh appeared in the DNA showcasing some very impressive automotive themed works.

Media Matter Related to Vintage and Classic Cars-dna0.jpg
karlosdeville is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th January 2015, 17:48   #254
Distinguished - BHPian

The earliest Luna moped from April 1975 Femina cover photo.

Media Matter Related to Vintage and Classic Cars-2015-jan-023.jpg
anjan_c2007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2015, 08:25   #255
Senior - BHPian

This mornings various clippings ! 2nd Feb

Midday

Media Matter Related to Vintage and Classic Cars-imageuploadedbyteambhp1422845677.392917.jpgMedia Matter Related to Vintage and Classic Cars-imageuploadedbyteambhp1422845692.582996.jpg

Times of India
Media Matter Related to Vintage and Classic Cars-imageuploadedbyteambhp1422845738.472818.jpg
kasli is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks