Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2014, 00:34   #1366
BHPian

Re: Vintage & Classic car parts info

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
A} The original boot handles are quite rare these days. Try putting ones from the Padmini.

B} A Good Padmini steering can suffice. Keep in mind that the steering has to be of the earlier thin rimmed variety only.

Note, that the Elegant had the steering in a greyish shade. Perhaps you could paint..?

C} Fuel tank lid- Again, this is non original. The original ones were like this-

Attachment 1308831

Again, the Delight/PP lid shall suffice.

Lastly, the indicator lenses. Try using Fiat Uno ones. Quite similar. BTW, do you have the characteristic "Anda" lenses?

All these can be obtained at the ill-famed Chor-Bazzar, @ C.S.T Road.

As regards to the fenders, repair them. Salvage them. There are good workshops in Bombay itself, why don't you go there?

Ohh yes. Try eBay Italy/UK for pats.
Dear Fintail,

It is so heartening to receive your advice and tips. I had almost given up hoping for any help from this forum. Most heartfelt thanks, Sir!

No, I do not have the 'anda' lenses. But, yes, I have visited Chor Bazar twice and managed to procure the combination switch and tail-lights so far. I shall keep searching there. Could you give me some idea of the appropriate prices for the rest of the parts?

As regards using a Delight/PP fuel-tank lid, is either of these lockable?

Is there any step of the restoration or part that I should be especially cautious about?

Thank you again!
Old 17th November 2014, 21:21   #1367
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elegant Pig View Post
Dear Fintail,

It is so heartening to receive your advice and tips. I had almost given up hoping for any help from this forum. Most heartfelt thanks, Sir!

No, I do not have the 'anda' lenses. But, yes, I have visited Chor Bazar twice and managed to procure the combination switch and tail-lights so far. I shall keep searching there. Could you give me some idea of the appropriate prices for the rest of the parts?

Is there any step of the restoration or part that I should be especially cautious about?
Of course Delight/PP fuel lids are lockable, didn't observe a Padmini closely, have you?

Restoration- Keep your eyes open during the tinkering. The exact grade of the replacement sheet metal et cetera. Ensure that the replacement stuff has zero rust on it, not even surface rust, mind you!

And proper welds. Multiple botched up spot welds never help.
Old 19th November 2014, 06:44   #1368
Senior - BHPian

Willys chassis
Willys Body Tub

http://thrissur.olx.in/willys-chassi...-iid-747787960
Old 19th November 2014, 07:24   #1369
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Fintail,

Thank you again!
I do have few items to be used on elegents that include front park lights, rear lights and body, side repeater lights and a metre cluster. Also regards to the door handles you can easily get reproductions. At least they look the same.

Please PM me with your number, I will be back in Bangalore on 23rd will talk to you then.
Old 19th November 2014, 10:40   #1370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Fintail,

Thank you again!
Dear Elegant Pig
My two bits having restored an Elegant myself. I feel that for people to be excited about your car and help you with parts you need to regularly post progress photos of your car. Do the honours please, mark my words parts will flow. If in Mumbai please call and visit I think you have my number. regards the mole
Old 19th November 2014, 21:08   #1371
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
I do have few items to be used on elegents that include front park lights, rear lights and body, side repeater lights and a metre cluster. Also regards to the door handles you can easily get reproductions. At least they look the same.

Please PM me with your number, I will be back in Bangalore on 23rd will talk to you then.
Thanks a lot! I would indeed be interested in those parts. Being a newbie, I cannot PM you. So here's my contact number: +91-9969105570. If you could sms me your phone number, I'll get in touch with you. Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Dear Elegant Pig
My two bits having restored an Elegant myself. I feel that for people to be excited about your car and help you with parts you need to regularly post progress photos of your car. Do the honours please, mark my words parts will flow. If in Mumbai please call and visit I think you have my number. regards the mole
Hmmm...Thanks for that tip! Unfortunately, I am not in a position to post any 'progress photos' of my car since the work is yet to begin! I have only just started collecting the parts it needs.

But yes, I do have your number and plan to bother you soon. Thanks!

Quote:
Of course Delight/PP fuel lids are lockable, didn't observe a Padmini closely, have you?

Restoration- Keep your eyes open during the tinkering. The exact grade of the replacement sheet metal et cetera. Ensure that the replacement stuff has zero rust on it, not even surface rust, mind you!

And proper welds. Multiple botched up spot welds never help.
I shall definitely keep your body work-related alerts in mind once the restoration begins.

As regards the fuel-tank lid, I'd assumed that it was only the outer flap that could be locked with a key, while the lid itself was only screwed into place. I had no idea that the lid too could be locked!

Thanks!

Last edited by karlosdeville : 20th November 2014 at 09:55. Reason: Consecutive posts
Old 19th November 2014, 21:37   #1372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I shall definitely keep your body work-related alerts in mind once the restoration begins.

As regards the fuel-tank lid, I'd assumed that it was only the outer flap that could be locked with a key, while the lid itself was only screwed into place. I had no idea that the lid too could be locked!
The outer flap can be locked, yes. The inner lid has to be screwed into place.

I think I was mistaken a bit here. Congrats on losing the "newbie" tag, BTW.
Old 20th November 2014, 08:54   #1373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The outer flap can be locked, yes. The inner lid has to be screwed into place.

I think I was mistaken a bit here. Congrats on losing the "newbie" tag, BTW.

The elegant has its lockable fuel cap sticking out from the face of the body at an angle. There is no flap! If there is a flap in any car it has been modified and should be reverted to original.
Old 20th November 2014, 10:05   #1374
BHPian

Quote:
The elegant has its lockable fuel cap sticking out from the face of the body at an angle. There is no flap! If there is a flap in any car it has been modified and should be reverted to original.
Mr. Mole is right, you get the fuel cap projecting outside the body surface.

Mr. Elegant Pig I have posted the pictures of my fiat millecento for your reference regarding the fuel cap and Anda tail lamp lenses.
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage & Classic Car Parts-image.jpg  

Drkannant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2014, 11:30   #1375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Indeed. I was talking about the Delight system, wherein the flap has to be locked. The lid can be simply screwed in.

It would seem that his '57 , like many others uses the previously mentioned Delight type system. Hence....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drkannant View Post
Mr. Mole is right, you get the fuel cap projecting outside the body surface.

Mr. Elegant Pig I have posted the pictures of my fiat millecento for your reference regarding the fuel cap and Anda tail lamp lenses.
Actually, you're wrong here. The car in question is the '56-'57 Fiat 1100 103E "Elegant", and not the "Dukkar". ('54-'56)

While the body shell was quite similar, so was the fuel lid et cetera. But, in this case, the car uses the Delight/PP style thingy, that is- There is a lockable flap. Open that, and unscrew the lid.

Vintage & Classic Car Parts-fuel-cap.jpg

The Millecento/Elegant fuel cap. Note the locking provision. The Delights had a cover which was lockable, and the fuel cap was screwed inside. Simple, no?

Lastly, the "Anda" lenses. I was referring to these, since the car is an Elegant.

Vintage & Classic Car Parts-57-kunte-mhp-3532-front.jpg

MHP would be Poona, '62-'66.

And Elegants had taillamps like these- Quite Anda like, I agree, but the term fits the lenses better, no?

Vintage & Classic Car Parts-57-byh-2434.jpg

BYH is Pune, '54-'62. Credits to some of the pics- Team-BHP.com

Last edited by FINTAIL : 20th November 2014 at 11:33.
Old 21st November 2014, 23:07   #1376
BHPian

Dear FINTAIL, the mole & Drkannant,

Now I'm a little confused, so please help me with the final conclusion!

All this does mean that my 1957 FIAT 1100 Elegant originally had a lockable fuel-tank lid that projected from the car-body, right?

I have procured tail-lamps like those of the BYH 2434. And not like the ones on the MDN 6494. So, have I got the right ones for my car, then?

As regards the front 'anda' lenses, as seen on the MHP 3532, I haven't managed to find any, yet. Yes, I'm 'egg'ing you on for some leads here! :-)
Old 22nd November 2014, 10:51   #1377
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

All this does mean that my 1957 FIAT 1100 Elegant originally had a lockable fuel-tank lid that projected from the car-body, right?

I have procured tail-lamps like those of the BYH 2434. And not like the ones on the MDN 6494. So, have I got the right ones for my car, then?

As regards the front 'anda' lenses, as seen on the MHP 3532, I haven't managed to find any, yet. Yes, I'm 'egg'ing you on for some leads here! :-)

Dear elegant pig there is no need to be confused please visit my thread restoration of MTP8389 I have also posted complete owners manuals and everything you need to know about the elegant cheers and happy egging - the mole
Old 22nd November 2014, 14:02   #1378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Correct. The lockable fuel lid. There was NO Delight/Padmini style cap.

The taillamps are indeed correct. Pics please!
Old 23rd November 2014, 08:42   #1379
Senior - BHPian

Dear Fintail, we all know your love for delights or Fiat 1100D, but please do not confuse our Ekegent Pig by bringing in a different model in conversation .

Dear Elegent Pig, sure will call you tomorrow. I have the so called Anda lenses with me too. Also please refer Amol's restoration thread, that's the right thread to get authentic information.

As regards to fuel cap. The one on MDN car is the type that came till 1962 (approximately). There were 2 types - first one till 1959 - had a thread on the neck of filler pipe, your cap screws first and then locks, later this became twist (a quarter turn) and lock type.

Yours will be the screw type. Pipe can fabricated easily, getting lock is difficult. Since my select 1959 has got screw type system, I do not have any spare pieces to give. EBay will be your best chance.
Old 23rd November 2014, 19:54   #1380
Senior - BHPian

w115 headlights

http://jalandhar.olx.in/mercedes-ben...-iid-750366840

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks