Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2009, 22:35   #91
BHPian

Rajiv,

So great to see you have taken the time to scan your old photos to share with everyone.

I might suggest you make a separate thread fo each of your major projects and go into detail each step you took and all the parts that you had to fabricate from scratch. I don't know if this was the case for your Caddy but I recall a few years back you did up a Kingsway that was in much the same condition.

I was a judge at the Statesman Rally the year you first showed it and I was very impressed with the "finished product". It wasn't till later you said that you had to fabricate two of the hub caps to match the ones you had restored. If you hadn't told me I never would have known they were not all original. Even with this knowledge and having the car in front of me I could hardly tell the difference!

It's this type of work that you do in the most primitive conditions that continually amazes me.

So very pleased you are taking the time to share all this with us.

I hope more of the Restoration Shops will document their work for the world to see!
Old 22nd March 2009, 03:26   #92
BHPian

Hi Rajiv,

What a wonderful collection you have, very interesting restoration job done. I am
lover of great American cars, what a driving pleasure and fast pickup with these cars. I have Chevrolet Caprice 1987 and Ford Grand Marquis V8 LS Ultimate 2003.

Great pictures of restoration work before and after, I really appreciate your efforts
to share details of your project. I look forward to see more interesting restoration
work you have done of other cars as well. Please write if possible the paint job tips
for getting this quality finish of black colour.

Regards,
Old 22nd March 2009, 10:19   #93
Senior - BHPian

Great pictures Rajiv.

Thanks for sharing the Lancia pictures too. Great work being done at your end.

Please keep the info flowing on your other past and current projects.
Old 22nd March 2009, 15:10   #94
BHPian

Thank you chief
Good to know that you are fond of american cars, the caprice must be a power house. As far as paint is concerned, the first basic principle of black paint job is that the body work on the car has to superb, or else the ripples will definitely show.We tend to have high gloss finish without using 2k paint, we use eveything of duco. The basic material used in the painting procedure should never be compromised on, if the base work is good the finish will also be good.One other thing is that rubbing the paint down with the rubbing compound is actually an art, if that is well done then automatically the paint will have glaze.

Thank you, wasif.. cheers, and yes will keep posting more.

regards
rajiv

Last edited by Rehaan : 23rd March 2009 at 16:22. Reason: Posts merged.
Old 23rd March 2009, 14:58   #95
BHPian

Hi friends this is a 1934 cadillac which we restored for a client. Very nice body style on this car, lovely 7 seater, centre partition glass, awesome smooth engine. The headlights actually are supposed to be painted, only the outer rim of the light is supposed to be chromed in this model. To be very honest we chromed the whole headlight, because it looked gorgeous simply because of the huge size of the lights.

regards
rajiv
Attached Thumbnails
Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Sanjay Ghosh-scan1.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Sanjay Ghosh-scan10.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Sanjay Ghosh-scan11.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Sanjay Ghosh-scan12.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Sanjay Ghosh-scan13.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Sanjay Ghosh-scan14.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Sanjay Ghosh-scan15.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Sanjay Ghosh-scan16.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Sanjay Ghosh-scan2.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Sanjay Ghosh-scan3.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Sanjay Ghosh-scan4.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Sanjay Ghosh-scan5.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Sanjay Ghosh-scan6.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Sanjay Ghosh-scan7.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Sanjay Ghosh-scan8.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Sanjay Ghosh-scan9.jpg  

rajiv ghosh rac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2009, 16:50   #96
BHPian

Hi, friends,
This is a 1959 rover 3 liter, which we restored.Black car maroon seats, 6 cylinder engine manual transmission. It had severe rusting when we got the car as the pictures will suggest. We owned the car for about a year, and then i think this car is in pune right now, not sure.
rajiv
Attached Thumbnails

rajiv ghosh rac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2009, 00:05   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajiv ghosh rac View Post
We owned the car for about a year, and then i think this car is in pune right now, not sure.
rajiv
Beautiful car Rajeev, drove a car just like this from office to home, WBF 14 too
Old 27th March 2009, 00:48   #98
BHPian

Hey, hi
nice meeting you, lovely to see the pic of this car.... very nice, i was wondering all this while who possibly has the car, very nice to know you have it. We bought the car in 2002, had it for a year,then my dad 's friend Mr. Adil Daver took the car from us, so i was presuming that its in bombay or pune. Very nice to see the current pictures of the car.

rajiv
Old 27th March 2009, 17:52   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey, hi
nice meeting you, lovely to see the pic of this car.... very nice, i was wondering all this while who possibly has the car, very nice to know you have it. We bought the car in 2002, had it for a year,then my dad 's friend Mr. Adil Daver took the car from us, so i was presuming that its in bombay or pune. Very nice to see the current pictures of the car.

rajiv
Mr Daver sold the car to a collector in Pune, who in turn sold it to me, the car was in a sort of deterioration when i aquired it. Had to take it apart immediately and has been doing in and out of garages ever since, its as i call it a garage loving car, but a pleasure to own.

In the three years that i have owned it I have, rehauled the engine, done new leather interiors, Lambswool Wilton carpeting, refinished the wood work and a new paint job. Mechanical work is constant but I'll get there She now spends time between Bombay and Pune.
the mole is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2009, 20:23   #100
Senior - BHPian

Rajiv, why dont you post some latest snaps of your Caddy. It would be a pleasure to see how well she is looked after. Do you use her around often?
Old 27th March 2009, 21:41   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
Rajiv, why dont you post some latest snaps of your Caddy. It would be a pleasure to see how well she is looked after. Do you use her around often?
Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Mr Daver sold the car to a collector in Pune, who in turn sold it to me, the car was in a sort of deterioration when i aquired it. Had to take it apart immediately and has been doing in and out of garages ever since, its as i call it a garage loving car, but a pleasure to own.

In the three years that i have owned it I have, rehauled the engine, done new leather interiors, Lambswool Wilton carpeting, refinished the wood work and a new paint job. Mechanical work is constant but I'll get there She now spends time between Bombay and Pune.
Hi, its lovely to know that you are so much into your car, and also great that you have put in so much of work, its sad to know that in between the car was deteorating. Im sure you have fun driving it.
rajiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
Hi, the snaps you see if my 1949 cadillac bru -193 are the latest snaps.... Yes i do use the car regularly over the weekends from november to february.
rajiv
Old 30th March 2009, 18:30   #102
BHPian

Lancia Dilambda

In reference to the Lancia rims please refer to the following post:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ml#post1227455
Old 2nd April 2009, 19:25   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yash Ruia View Post
In reference to the Lancia rims please refer to the following post:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ml#post1227455
Dear Yash,

Not clear what is to be referred in that thread about the Lancia rims. If you go through the entire thread, a lot of people have commented, even similar looking truck wheels are shown for comparison. Somehow the story came up that these are special Dunlop wheels for desert use. Wasif had asked you if a Dunlop stamp is on the wheels, you have not replied. I have a Fiat 1926 which came with an extra artillery wheel, it was a Dunlop wheel and clearly marked as such.
In the Maharaja car thread another Lancia Dilambda is shown, supposedly ex-Mysore, also having a Viotti body. The wheels are normal.
With the exception of your's and the blue Lancia, none of us seem to have seen these wheels anywhere in the world on a Lancia.
BUT, never mind.
The fact remains that yours in a wonderful car, well restored and we are glad that it has come to Mumbai. For you it also must be your best car, though when you start grooving in your Jag X, you will enjoy your power of having a second very stricking car.
Since your Lancia looks so nice and is so well done, perhaps you can consider to fit the correct type of wire wheels. Even if the present wheels were ever a genuine accessory, they do nothing to enhance the looks of your car. And your Lancia being so beautiful, she deserves you to consider doing something about the wheels.
It is also a fact that we sometimes consider that a modification done by a Maharaja or ruler should stay, that does enhance the unique Indianess, like the Nizam's Rolls, but I believe that these wheels do not fall in that category.
I hope to see the car on the 5th at the rally, she will be one of the stars.
So let the Lancia wheels roll, which ever type they are and enjoy the ride.

Cheers,
Harit
Old 12th April 2009, 14:27   #104
BHPian

Hi
Friends, this was a 1947 chevrolet fleetmaster convertable, restored by us. We owned the car for around a year, then it was owned by General Amarjit Singh Clair of ambala. Donot know who is the current owner of the car is though. What we had heard was that the car was previously used in a circus, that is proir to us owning it. As always strange but interesting sorties attached with vintage cars always..

regards rajiv
Attached Thumbnails
Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Sanjay Ghosh-scan14.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Sanjay Ghosh-scan13.jpg  

rajiv ghosh rac is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2009, 15:51   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi
Friends, this was a 1947 chevrolet fleetmaster convertable, restored by us. We owned the car for around a year, then it was owned by General Amarjit Singh Clair of ambala. Donot know who is the current owner of the car is though. What we had heard was that the car was previously used in a circus, that is proir to us owning it. As always strange but interesting sorties attached with vintage cars always..

regards rajiv
That is a unique Chevy being a cabrio. Im seeing one for the first time.

I had come across this photo ages back on Orkut I think.
Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Sanjay Ghosh-chevy31.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks