Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2009, 23:49   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Hey John.

In the last picture of your post 20 what is the car that is just visible parked besides the Jag.

Also in the first picture we can see the rear of a cream / green car that looks like a Studbaker. Is this correct.

Please post pic of these cars if possible.

Wasif
That is a Sunbeam Alpine that was restored by Chaudhury a number of years ago, a very very sweet car. I had some good photos of it but lost them when m PC crashed.
Old 6th March 2009, 12:19   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by john a milne View Post
That is a Sunbeam Alpine that was restored by Chaudhury a number of years ago, a very very sweet car. I had some good photos of it but lost them when m PC crashed.
Dear John,

I have a feeling that this Sunbeam is not an Alpine, but it is in fact a Sunbeam Rapier of around 1958/1960. Please see post no 20, pic 1 & 2, the cream car with a green stripe. This is a twin carb car, very similar to Jehans car (ex Sam Maneckshaw) and today lives in Orissa. Could you recheck? I just realised that this car is also a 2-door car.
Old 6th March 2009, 18:52   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Dear John,

I have a feeling that this Sunbeam is not an Alpine, but it is in fact a Sunbeam Rapier of around 1958/1960. Please see post no 20, pic 1 & 2, the cream car with a green stripe. This is a twin carb car, very similar to Jehans car (ex Sam Maneckshaw) and today lives in Orissa. Could you recheck? I just realised that this car is also a 2-door car.
You are right on the mark, the alpine was a sports car was it not?
Old 6th March 2009, 20:31   #34
BHPian

Harit and John, please see my post of 5 days ago, # 26 on the previous page of this thread. Maybe you missed it and thus the discussion continues on what this cream and green car is.

Last edited by Prabal : 6th March 2009 at 20:39.
Old 6th March 2009, 20:54   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
Harit and John, please see my post of 5 days ago, # 26 on the previous page of this thread. Maybe you missed it and thus the discussion continues on what this cream and green car is.
Just spoke to Mr. Choudhury who had restored the car and he confirmed that it is a 1957 Sunbeam Rapier.
Old 10th March 2009, 18:25   #36
BHPian

This Ford V8 is a jewel and I have been lucky enough to drive it.

These are the zero defect classics of India. I have driven them all and it is like driving a new car. The Cadillac was a total wreck when it came, and now to see is to believe...

Last edited by Rehaan : 15th March 2009 at 03:20. Reason: Posts merged.
Old 12th March 2009, 20:27   #37
BHPian

What's new at Sanjay's Works

Stopped by today and saw some new cars.

Also progress on the Caddy.
Attached Thumbnails
Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Sanjay Ghosh-img_4821.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Sanjay Ghosh-img_4820.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Sanjay Ghosh-img_4822.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Sanjay Ghosh-img_4823.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Sanjay Ghosh-img_4824.jpg  

john a milne is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2009, 21:02   #38
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Stopped by today and saw some new cars.
That Austin sure does have a roving eye
Old 12th March 2009, 22:05   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
That Austin sure does have a roving eye
From the number, it seems to have been an Army car! Any history on this that you could get, john?
Old 12th March 2009, 22:14   #40
BHPian

Big Austin

Belongs to the Army here in Calcutta and i've seen it for the past 10 years at the Statesman Rally that usually is held at their Fort William stadium.

Various people have been after them to restore it and they have a new Commander who has an interest in the Rally where thir mechanics always judge the Mechanical section.

it just came in for restoration and Sanjay's comments indicated a lot has to be done. Suggest you send and email to Sanjay to fill in the details.

Also check out the Tolly Car Show thread where there are more photos and it gives the year.
Old 13th March 2009, 01:04   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
From the number, it seems to have been an Army car! Any history on this that you could get, john?
Quote:
Belongs to the Army here in Calcutta and i've seen it for the past 10 years at the Statesman Rally that usually is held at their Fort William stadium. Various people have been after them to restore it and they have a new Commander who has an interest in the Rally where thir mechanics always judge the Mechanical section. it just came in for restoration and Sanjay's comments indicated a lot has to be done. Suggest you send and email to Sanjay to fill in the details.

This Austin Sheerline was the staff car of General Roy Bucher when he was the General Officer Commanding in Chief (GOCinC), Eastern Command, Fort William, Calcutta from 1946 till sometime in December 1947/January 1948. He was later promoted as the Chief of Staff at Army Headquarters, New Delhi from where he handed over the baton to the first Indian Chief of Staff, or Commander-in-Chief if you please, General KM Cariappa in early 1949. I hope I remember my history correctly. I would be glad to be corrected if I have my dates wrong. As it is I can't remember the exact dates now, which I did some time back.

I have slept/studied/daydreamt behind the wall as she, the Sheerline, stood in the garage in the late 1970s, so there's a special place in my heart for her. In fact I would sometimes visit from hostel as much for the cars as to meet my folks maybe. She's always been in this colour from when I can remember although the quality of paintwork and nickel plating was better. There seems to be a general deterioration in her condition, from the photographs. I wonder if the self-jacking system still works or is even there on the car any more? And the lovely black hide upholstery? The Army had a well-equipped and adept garage inside Fort William in those days and she was kept in fine fettle. God, those bumpers, where'd they get the idea even; preposterous! Sad that she has to be sent out for repairs now, but maybe it's good that a professional will give her a stronger new lease on life. There were some more very nice wheels with the Army in Fort William those days; a few lovely Dodge Kingsways, a superb Cheverolet Fleetmaster, a very nice Commer Van and a midnight blue 1969/70 Mercedes 115 that was General Jacob's ride - all residing in the Fort alongside some great personal wheels of the Army folks, including our own midnight blue 115 and some others. People in the Army really had style, and understood their automobiles too. The Eastern Command Officer's Mess was out of this world in its appointment - the decor and furnishings, as was the Officer's Institute - the venue for many a caper with some lovely lasses. But enough of there. Ciao.

Last edited by Prabal : 13th March 2009 at 01:12. Reason: Added John's quote too
Prabal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2009, 11:36   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
This Austin Sheerline was the staff car of General Roy Bucher when he was the General Officer Commanding in Chief (GOCinC), Eastern Command, Fort William, Calcutta from 1946 till sometime in December 1947/January 1948. He was later promoted as the Chief of Staff at Army Headquarters, New Delhi from where he handed over the baton to the first Indian Chief of Staff, or Commander-in-Chief if you please, General KM Cariappa in early 1949. I hope I remember my history correctly. I would be glad to be corrected if I have my dates wrong. As it is I can't remember the exact dates now, which I did some time back.
Prabal,
Thanks for such a detailed history of this car!
Many of us here in Calcutta have been wanting the car restored and with your history of it, now all the more.
I will make sure that Sanjay reads your posting.

The power of the Internet to connect the world continually amazes me.
Now we have to start connecting the hearts of people to preserve the good things of the past and create a safe, healthy future for our children's children.
Old 15th March 2009, 01:43   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Prabal,
Thanks for such a detailed history of this car!
Many of us here in Calcutta have been wanting the car restored and with your history of it, now all the more.
I will make sure that Sanjay reads your posting.

The power of the Internet to connect the world continually amazes me.
Now we have to start connecting the hearts of people to preserve the good things of the past and create a safe, healthy future for our children's children.
Thanks John, she's very special to me as you might have fathomed by now. I'm happy to see her whenever I can, which isn't quite as often as I would like it to be! So, thanks for providing a glimpse of my old love again!
Old 15th March 2009, 09:56   #44
Senior - BHPian

Hi Prabal.

Your dad was Field Marshal Cariappa ?

Wow
Old 15th March 2009, 12:31   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Hi Prabal.

Your dad was Field Marshal Cariappa ?

Wow
Oh, where did that come from? Did I give that impression? Sorry if I did. But, there's a clear three decade gap from when Field Marshal Cariappa took over and I was in proximity of the car! I guess I confused you with two different histories there - one of India and the other a little personal. I'm imminently qualified to author NCERT books then!!

No wasif, my dad wasn't Cariappa. He was just Papa!

Most Viewed