Team-BHP - Classics of Travancore, Cochin and Malabar
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Vintage Cars & Classics in India (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintage-cars-classics-india/)
-   -   Classics of Travancore, Cochin and Malabar (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintage-cars-classics-india/47406-classics-travancore-cochin-malabar-74.html)

Hi all,

Are there any Pontons or Fintails available for sale in Kerala

Thanks NKR

Quote:

Originally Posted by foby.sebastian (Post 3303013)
Thanks to Jwella De Grande , note the CS registrations and please identify the vehicles.

The chevy Truck on left hand side and bedford/ford truck in the middle and Austin / Morris in right hand side ?

Very interesting photo you have there foby.sebastian!
My lists show that in the original 1902 series, CS was for Charkhari princely state in Central India and for Cochin in the Madras presidency. However I have always suspected that the entry for Cochin is a missprint as the Madras registration letters were closely aligned to the letters in the full name and that would probably make Cochin CN.
I hope this photo could have been taken in Charkhari as registrations were mostly changed to three letters in 1939 but not in the princely states.
Being a post 1941 photo, it would be very confusing if it is not Charkhari.
Any thoughts on where it was taken?
Cheers
Cedric

Quote:

Originally Posted by sabinesnubbing (Post 3308216)
My lists show that in the original 1902 series, CS was for Charkhari princely state in Central India and for Cochin in the Madras presidency. However I have always suspected that the entry for Cochin is a missprint as the Madras registration letters were closely aligned to the letters in the full name and that would probably make Cochin CN.
I hope this photo could have been taken in Charkhari as registrations were mostly changed to three letters in 1939 but not in the princely states.
Cheers
Cedric

No way that the photo was taken at Charkhari

Please note the attaire of the personnel in the Photo. It typically "Mallu" or Malayalee style and is authentically periodic as well.

The Dhothi worn with the open end to ones 'right side" alone is enough to authenciate it as in somewhere in what is presently Kerala. I would say the picture is 100% taken in Kerala- Cochin/Travancore/Malabar - in that order. Perodic - because the style of shirt - kind of half sleeved kurta with open V neck collar was in style till early 1950s. The back ground is typically one of trading warehouses in Fort Cochin/Mattanchery - a few of which exists even today

Also if you look closely in the picture you can see the name "Potackal Ittikuru" - this group was active in Spice Trades/Exports in Cochin until the early 1980s (as far as I am aware) and if not mistaken is a prominent Christian Family from the area

Also - Cochin "technically" was never part of "British Malabar Admin" and remained a "princely state" till independence of India and then merged to the Union. May be that will explain why registration did not change to three letters.

Best Regards & Drive Safe

Ram

Ram,
Excellent news and great information. I can safely say that Cochin was CS in that case I think and my guess was wrong.
One of the very few cases of the same letters being issued in 2 places in the early days.
Many thanks
Cedric

Quote:

Originally Posted by sabinesnubbing (Post 3308216)
Cheers
Cedric

Thats taken at Cochin

The Vanguard Station-wagon @ Kollam. The workshop person also told me that it is an ex-govt. I also remember seeing a similar one rotting away @ ootty. Is that a phase 2 model?

Quote:

Originally Posted by foby.sebastian (Post 3310555)
The Vanguard Station-wagon @ Kollam. The workshop person also told me that it is an ex-govt. I also remember seeing a similar one rotting away @ ootty. Is that a phase 2 model?

Is the workshop at Umayanallor?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharoncr_17 (Post 3313882)
Is the workshop at Umayanallor?

No.This vehicle has been posted in the forum in 2007 itself.The vehicle is in Paripally

Any clue on the last car with twin head lamps, Plymouth ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by foby.sebastian (Post 3313977)
Any clue on the last car with twin head lamps, Plymouth ?

It could be a 3rd generation Plymouth Belvedere (link) or a 4th generation Dodge Coronet (link) though not sure which one. Both are 57-59 models from Chrysler corp with the "Forward Look" design :)

1959 Ford Fairlane Galaxie, now in Kolkata...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shrivardhan (Post 3314034)

I agree . It is a 1959 Ford.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shrivardhan (Post 3314034)

Thanks for the info Kanoria saheb, Can you please tell whether it is still having the kerala reg no? when did it come to calcutta?

Sir,

I am not sure when this car came to Kolkata. It had a Kolkata registration, and now a Rajasthan restoration, as the car was in Jaipur for the last ten years. However, now the car is physically back to Kolkata.

Regards.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shrivardhan (Post 3314437)
Sir,

I am not sure when this car came to Kolkata. It had a Kolkata registration, and now a Rajasthan restoration, as the car was in Jaipur for the last ten years. However, now the car is physically back to Kolkata.

Regards.

Thanks for the info.Since you seem to know the car very well can you please find out the KERALA Registration number of the car?