Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2013, 23:52   #871
BHPian

Re: Classics of Travancore, Cochin and Malabar

Some pics kindle old memories .an old trivandrum connection , two of my beetles came from there .year was 2000 if i remember right,was the red beetle 2526 black in color and belong to a young guy S***** something ? I remember visiting dileeps place then , the garage held the black millecento and the mini , but the point of interest for me was the Rudge and it was a TT version (debatable) but i was pretty sure .Rubbing shoulders with it was the monkey(GTS) and a honda four .A Paapi had some good british bikes as well during his time .

we ended up buying a hand gear triumph for a princely sum of 3K then and split it to bits and bought it back to bangalore in a box .

Also there existed a doc with a harley and plenty of dogs and a convertible merc then !!

And i knew about a rare czech car, any pics of that ?

Thanks for helping me kick in the turbo Awesome memoris .and BTW does priya lodge still exist .

Prashanth
Old 9th March 2013, 12:46   #872
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Is there any way from the engine compartment if we confirm this is a Super or a Road Master? If I understand all Road Masters has those 3 port holes on the mudguard whilst only the later model Supers had the same.

Attachment 1059561

Those puny tyres seem to be motorbike tyres

Cheers

KPS
The Roadmaster had a bigger engine but its hard to say from the picture unless you compare bictures of engines in Super and Roadmaster trim cars....and like has been said portholes appeared from 49 onwards
Old 9th March 2013, 13:15   #873
Senior - BHPian

Ways that little truck?
Attached Thumbnails
Classics of Travancore, Cochin and Malabar-image240383249.jpg  

Old 9th March 2013, 17:57   #874
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Some pics kindle old memories .an old trivandrum connection , two of my beetles came from there .year was 2000 if i remember right,was the red beetle 2526 black in color and belong to a young guy S***** something ? I remember visiting dileeps place then , the garage held the black millecento and the mini , but the point of interest for me was the Rudge and it was a TT version (debatable) but i was pretty sure .Rubbing shoulders with it was the monkey(GTS) and a honda four .A Paapi had some good british bikes as well during his time .

we ended up buying a hand gear triumph for a princely sum of 3K then and split it to bits and bought it back to bangalore in a box .

Also there existed a doc with a harley and plenty of dogs and a convertible merc then !!

And i knew about a rare czech car, any pics of that ?

Thanks for helping me kick in the turbo Awesome memoris .and BTW does priya lodge still exist .

Prashanth
The red beetle was always red and it belonged to an advocate from Nedumangadu from 1993 onwards till 2000 or so when it reached the hands of the kuravankonam owner. The black beetle was an LHD KBF registration(not cent percent sure) and belonged to a young mechanic guy.That beetle went to a Kuwait airways employee who spent years restoring it and then to another owner who is restoring it since the last 6-7 years.the car is still lying in a famous imported car workshop in town.

You must be mentioning about the 1920's Harley which belonged to a doctor with a pack of ferocious dogs.can you share more details of the convertible mercedes.
The czechoslovakian car you referred must be the 60's Dalcia which belonged to the famous Marxian economist settled in the city.The car was a KRV regd one and left the city in 1988(the economist bought a new SB308 Standard maruti)
Are you mentioning PRIYA Lodge or Priya Tourist home in Mele Thampanoor
Think one of them still exists
ajay99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2013, 14:09   #875
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by foby.sebastian View Post
Ways that little truck?
This would be an American truck of the 1950's, clearer pictures required. The car in the background could have been a Ford, what is the story, and are these accidented or vandalised cars?

Cheers harit
Old 12th March 2013, 15:12   #876
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
The red beetle was always red and it belonged to an advocate from Nedumangadu from 1993 onwards till 2000 or so when it reached the hands of the kuravankonam owner. The black beetle was an LHD KBF registration(not cent percent sure) and belonged to a young mechanic guy.That beetle went to a Kuwait airways employee who spent years restoring it and then to another owner who is restoring it since the last 6-7 years.the car is still lying in a famous imported car workshop in town.

You must be mentioning about the 1920's Harley which belonged to a doctor with a pack of ferocious dogs.can you share more details of the convertible mercedes.
The czechoslovakian car you referred must be the 60's Dalcia which belonged to the famous Marxian economist settled in the city.The car was a KRV regd one and left the city in 1988(the economist bought a new SB308 Standard maruti)
Are you mentioning PRIYA Lodge or Priya Tourist home in Mele Thampanoor
Think one of them still exists
Thanks Ajay ,

Yes the black beetle was a left hand , but i thought it was restored after it was sold then . it had a spare engine etc and was already shoehorned with a larger engine than the original it came with .

The same Harley owner had the convertible Merc ,it was one of the newer models .

There must be an other Czech car as well and i hear it is still in TVM ,again a doctor owner ..

I also remember an Indian motorcycle in a garage but in bits ,was the mechanics name asokan ? cant recollect .Also were some ariels with a acupuncture practitioner .

Yes priya tourist home it was and lunch and dinners were in the coffee houses or buharis .

Prashanth
Old 12th March 2013, 15:57   #877
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Ajay ,

Yes the black beetle was a left hand , but i thought it was restored after it was sold then . it had a spare engine etc and was already shoehorned with a larger engine than the original it came with .

The same Harley owner had the convertible Merc ,it was one of the newer models .

There must be an other Czech car as well and i hear it is still in TVM ,again a doctor owner ..

I also remember an Indian motorcycle in a garage but in bits ,was the mechanics name asokan ? cant recollect .Also were some ariels with a acupuncture practitioner .

Yes priya tourist home it was and lunch and dinners were in the coffee houses or buharis .

Prashanth
The other Czech car you are mentioning is aKLT-3xx ,1939 Skoda which was lying in a garage near Vellayambalam.It left Trivandrum in 2000 or so
The Indian Chief motorcycle is still there in the same workshop in the same condition
Old 13th March 2013, 13:28   #878
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
I also remember an Indian motorcycle in a garage but in bits ,was the mechanics name asokan ? cant recollect .
Prashanth
Prashanth,

The Mechanic - Asokan, you are referring to is likely to be Ashok Paniker, who was one of the best tuners/MC Mechanics in Trivandrum - he had his workshop for long time near Bakery Jn - Vanrose Jn area. He passed away a few years ago (may be about 5 - 6 years).

I don't know if the Indian Chief was with Ashokan ever. He had few other bikes - mostly Jawas. Was the Indian Chief in a workshop in a place called Vanchiyoor - I knew of one in a place called Muthu Engineering Works - chief Mech/Owner Mr. Selvam, in Vanchiyoor latter shifted to some where near Pattom area)

Best Regards & Drive/Ride safe

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 13th March 2013 at 13:32.
Old 13th March 2013, 20:31   #879
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Prashanth,

The Mechanic - Asokan, you are referring to is likely to be Ashok Paniker, who was one of the best tuners/MC Mechanics in Trivandrum - he had his workshop for long time near Bakery Jn - Vanrose Jn area. He passed away a few years ago (may be about 5 - 6 years).

I don't know if the Indian Chief was with Ashokan ever. He had few other bikes - mostly Jawas. Was the Indian Chief in a workshop in a place called Vanchiyoor - I knew of one in a place called Muthu Engineering Works - chief Mech/Owner Mr. Selvam, in Vanchiyoor latter shifted to some where near Pattom area)

Best Regards & Drive/Ride safe

Ram
Muthu Engineering works was located in Tank Road ,Vanchiyoor,and the workshop was there till 1995 or so. In its place stands the building of the AKPCTA .as far as my info goes the INDIAN CHIEF was always in the Vanrose Junction workshop and it is still there but not for sale!!
Old 17th March 2013, 11:31   #880
Senior - BHPian

Non restorable but can be used as parts car either!
Attached Thumbnails
Classics of Travancore, Cochin and Malabar-image793726739.jpg  

Classics of Travancore, Cochin and Malabar-image1862527150.jpg  

Classics of Travancore, Cochin and Malabar-image1317035217.jpg  

Classics of Travancore, Cochin and Malabar-image4060883289.jpg  

Classics of Travancore, Cochin and Malabar-image2462076281.jpg  

Classics of Travancore, Cochin and Malabar-image1823362740.jpg  

Classics of Travancore, Cochin and Malabar-image1254392906.jpg  

foby.sebastian is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th March 2013, 21:45   #881
Senior - BHPian

Is that a super bug?
Attached Thumbnails
Classics of Travancore, Cochin and Malabar-image1849947961.jpg  

Classics of Travancore, Cochin and Malabar-image2300695225.jpg  

foby.sebastian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2013, 21:52   #882
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is that a super bug?
That's not a super bug but has anyone noticed those wheel caps .... Haha looks like home made SS bowls of the house were used

Cheers
Old 19th March 2013, 22:02   #883
BHPian

Hi,

Saw this Mercedes outside a hotel in Fort Kochi and i vaguely remember some discussion of the Palace Ambassador of Trivandrum, here's a picture. Hope they are in the relevant place.

regards,

Srinand.
Attached Thumbnails
Classics of Travancore, Cochin and Malabar-img_3534.jpg  

Classics of Travancore, Cochin and Malabar-img_3535.jpg  

Classics of Travancore, Cochin and Malabar-img_3425.jpg  

srinand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2013, 10:00   #884
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is that a super bug?
This is a pre 67 Beetle, judging by the size of the front windscreen it is post 58.

Looking at the alternations to the front lid it is probably an ex Goa car.
karlosdeville is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2013, 18:07   #885
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville;3071350[B
]This is a pre 67 Beetle, judging by the size of the front windscreen it is post 58[/b].

Looking at the alternations to the front lid it is probably an ex Goa car.
You are spot on!! It is an ex Goa car and is a pre67 beetle with lots of parts from different year models.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks