Re: Classics of Travancore, Cochin and Malabar
Foby, Please mask the registration numbers of the car photos you post
Old 12th February 2011, 13:02   #287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
Foby, Please mask the registration numbers of the car photos you post
I believe, but maybe wrong, that cars seen at exhibitions and events which can be photographed can be posted with their registration numbers shown. Many events have participants list where numbers are shown, others call the press who do publish photos with numbers seen. But when a car is photographed on the road, in a workshop or even in a compound, then the number should be blanked. Any more opinions?

Cheers harit
Old 12th February 2011, 13:42   #288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
I believe, but maybe wrong, that cars seen at exhibitions and events which can be photographed can be posted with their registration numbers shown. Many events have participants list where numbers are shown, others call the press who do publish photos with numbers seen. But when a car is photographed on the road, in a workshop or even in a compound, then the number should be blanked. Any more opinions?

Cheers harit
Unless an Owner doesn't want it displayed publicly, what is the harm in posting cars with the nos displayed? The cars are at a public show. The rest of the general public is seeing the cars with nos. displayed, why shouldn't we as T-BHPians?
Old 18th February 2011, 12:11   #289
Senior - BHPian

Austin Chummy from - Kottayam

It was collected from Calcutta , Note :- no issues is showing the number plate
Attached Thumbnails
Classics of Travancore, Cochin and Malabar-austin-chummy-1.jpg  

Classics of Travancore, Cochin and Malabar-austin-chummy-2.jpg  

Classics of Travancore, Cochin and Malabar-austin-chummy-3.jpg  

Old 1st March 2011, 11:25   #290
Senior - BHPian

Is the blue one a Austin Cambridge or a woloseley ?

spotted at trivandrum on the way to Vizinjam fishing harbour
Attached Thumbnails
Classics of Travancore, Cochin and Malabar-1.jpg  

Classics of Travancore, Cochin and Malabar-2.jpg  

Classics of Travancore, Cochin and Malabar-4.jpg  

Classics of Travancore, Cochin and Malabar-a5.jpg  

Classics of Travancore, Cochin and Malabar-3.jpg  

Old 1st March 2011, 12:32   #291
Team-BHP Support

It is a morris Oxford - same family different badge
Old 1st March 2011, 12:38   #292
Senior - BHPian

Oh yeah , that was the name which i was missing , Morris oxford !

Autin cambridge , wolosely and Morris oxford shares the same pedigree line !

So the question is what was first to come in market ?
Old 9th March 2011, 19:34   #293
BHPian

Dunno if this has been posted here before, but here goes:

I saw this Chevrolet Biscayne at the Merryland Studio at Vellayani, Trivandrum. It's in a covered Garage, so the only rust is near the bonnet. The interiors look good still. The owner is not willing to sell, of course.

Classics of Travancore, Cochin and Malabar-biscayne01.jpgClassics of Travancore, Cochin and Malabar-biscayne02.jpg
Classics of Travancore, Cochin and Malabar-biscayne03.jpgClassics of Travancore, Cochin and Malabar-biscayne04.jpg
Classics of Travancore, Cochin and Malabar-biscayne05.jpgClassics of Travancore, Cochin and Malabar-biscayne06.jpg
Classics of Travancore, Cochin and Malabar-biscayne07.jpgClassics of Travancore, Cochin and Malabar-biscayne08.jpg
I noticed that the headlamps were original sealed beams from General Electric. One had been replaced with a slightly different sealed beam that had the GE logo instead of the 'General Electric' text. Got the interior pics by keeping the cellphone up against the window to avoid any glare. The doors are locked and the windows rolled up. The door locks still operate sooo smoothly. Better than any Fiat/Amby I've seen.
vivekgk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2011, 22:45   #294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post

I saw this Chevrolet Biscayne at the Merryland Studio at Vellayani, Trivandrum. It's in a covered Garage, so the only rust is near the bonnet. The interiors look good still. The owner is not willing to sell, of course.

I noticed that the headlamps were original sealed beams from General Electric. One had been replaced with a slightly different sealed beam that had the GE logo instead of the 'General Electric' text. Got the interior pics by keeping the cellphone up against the window to avoid any glare. The doors are locked and the windows rolled up. The door locks still operate sooo smoothly. Better than any Fiat/Amby I've seen.
great find Vivek !

pretty much restorable , Hope it reaches the rite hands soon
Old 10th March 2011, 00:44   #295
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by foby.sebastian View Post
great find Vivek !

pretty much restorable , Hope it reaches the rite hands soon
Vivek,

You would know that the Biscayne was the personal vehicle of Mr. Subramaniam, the Founder of Merryland Studios. The car I think was registered in the name of the Neela Pictures, which was the production banner of Merryland

Merriland Studios and Subramaniam were one of the Pioneering giants of the Malayalam movies. Even now the family led by Mr. Kumar and Karthikeyan are in business and have some on going serials in various Mallu TV Channels.

They venerate their father Mr. Subramaniam and I can't see them parting with that car anytime soon. I think they still give some care to that car and that is why you were surprised to find many things still working.

That car has stared in many movies produced by Merryland as well.

It was a sight to watch it glide by when it was brought to Trivandrum in 1969 or 1970.

It is a 1961 model if I remember it right

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
Old 14th March 2011, 04:44   #296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Vivek,

You would know that the Biscayne was the personal vehicle of Mr. Subramaniam, the Founder of Merryland Studios. The car I think was registered in the name of the Neela Pictures, which was the production banner of Merryland

Merriland Studios and Subramaniam were one of the Pioneering giants of the Malayalam movies. Even now the family led by Mr. Kumar and Karthikeyan are in business and have some on going serials in various Mallu TV Channels.

They venerate their father Mr. Subramaniam and I can't see them parting with that car anytime soon. I think they still give some care to that car and that is why you were surprised to find many things still working.

That car has stared in many movies produced by Merryland as well.

It was a sight to watch it glide by when it was brought to Trivandrum in 1969 or 1970.

It is a 1961 model if I remember it right

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
I had heard the details from some of the employees hanging around, but I wasn't sure if I should post owners' names here.

Selling or restoring the car is of course their decision. As a car lover, I just hate to see such a beauty rusting away and wish they'd restore it themselves or pass it on to someone who would.

As for caring for that car, that's not what I saw there. The car's front was raised on blocks, but the rear wasn't. The whole front end was rusting away from being exposed to the elements. It's an open garage, and the car is covered with decades worth of grime. The only reason the car remains in as good a condition seems to be because of the inherent quality, not care.

If it were me, I couldn't let my father's pride and joy rust away neglected in a corner. To each their own, I suppose. It's not like they can't afford to restore it, is it? I'm sorry for getting worked up like this, but like I said, I love cars and hate to see such a beauty being neglected. Don't you wish you could see this lovely lady gliding through the streets of Trivandrum again?

@foby: I showed these pics to Pramod, and the first thing he said was, Foby would probably know every detail about this car!

Last edited by vivekgk : 14th March 2011 at 04:48.
Old 15th March 2011, 00:19   #297
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
I had heard the details from some of the employees hanging around, but I wasn't sure if I should post owners' names here.

Selling or restoring the car is of course their decision. As a car lover, I just hate to see such a beauty rusting away and wish they'd restore it themselves or pass it on to someone who would.

As for caring for that car, that's not what I saw there. The car's front was raised on blocks, but the rear wasn't. The whole front end was rusting away from being exposed to the elements. It's an open garage, and the car is covered with decades worth of grime. The only reason the car remains in as good a condition seems to be because of the inherent quality, not care.

If it were me, I couldn't let my father's pride and joy rust away neglected in a corner. To each their own, I suppose. It's not like they can't afford to restore it, is it? I'm sorry for getting worked up like this, but like I said, I love cars and hate to see such a beauty being neglected. Don't you wish you could see this lovely lady gliding through the streets of Trivandrum again?

@foby: I showed these pics to Pramod, and the first thing he said was, Foby would probably know every detail about this car!
I really agree with you 100%. But as its said each unto himself and the fathers legacy is for the children to cherish.

Thanks and Best Regards

Ram
Old 15th March 2011, 12:29   #298
Senior - BHPian

Saw a mint condition Morris 8 at kowadiar on Saturday evening , on the same day I saw the royal families VW 1300 bug (super bettele ) , the prince was riding it and he was flooring it like any thing through Kowadiyar , also saw the cherry red Austin Cambridge parked in front of owners house Off kowadiyar . Will post the snaps as soon as my computer get fixed !
Old 15th March 2011, 17:33   #299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by foby.sebastian View Post
Saw a mint condition Morris 8 at kowadiar on Saturday evening , on the same day I saw the royal families VW 1300 bug (super bettele ) , the prince was riding it and he was flooring it like any thing through Kowadiyar , also saw the cherry red Austin Cambridge parked in front of owners house Off kowadiyar . Will post the snaps as soon as my computer get fixed !
the Morris 8 is most likely the same one which has been advertised in the classified section at an Unrealistic price.
The palace beetle is not a Super beetle, but it is a 1968 model 1300cc one which has been modified with later model dash,steering,tail lights etc.
Old 16th March 2011, 00:20   #300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
the Morris 8 is most likely the same one which has been advertised in the classified section at an Unrealistic price.
The palace beetle is not a Super beetle, but it is a 1968 model 1300cc one which has been modified with later model dash,steering,tail lights etc.
Thank you for the clarification , I was under the impression that I was wrong , BTW how do we identify a super Bettele ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks