Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2012, 00:00   #1351
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore
Courtesy: Home | Daimler

"Cars of the Maharajas’, meanwhile, looks back upon a grand era of Indian automotive heritage. As its contribution to this feature, Mercedes-Benz Classic is bringing a SS-Type to Pebble Beach. This supercharged grand tourer – a paragon of luxury and lavish detail.– was built in 1930 for the Maharaja of Kashmir.

In the first third of the 20th century, the Maharaja was one a number of Indian motor car enthusiasts who bought themselves the finest and most expensive cars of their time – often having them specially built with exquisitely designed bodies. The Maharaja would no doubt be in his element at the 2012 Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance with its illustrious field of luxury classic cars."

Assume, it is this car. Have seen info that the first owner was Kashmir, as well as Khaipur.
If I am not mistaken this car is Navy Blue with grey interior and black top. I have this cars present image and in the combination of blue. Shall upload it . So we have one more Pebble beach non Indian entrant . Bravo
Old 22nd July 2012, 10:45   #1352
Senior - BHPian

Re: Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
If I am not mistaken this car is Navy Blue with grey interior and black top. I have this cars present image and in the combination of blue. Shall upload it . So we have one more Pebble beach non Indian entrant . Bravo
Share some pictures please !!

The "Maharaja Class" is helping to unite some long seperated cars. The Kashmir 17EX will be there and now this SS Merc !

Likewise atleast two of the Holkar cars, the Duesenberg and the Delage from bangalore will be seen together after a huge gap. It would have been great of the Holkar Alfa and the Lagonda would also have been there !

We need to have a dedicated thread on the Maharaja Class to post pics of the cars entered and to discuss them !
Old 22nd July 2012, 20:27   #1353
Distinguished - BHPian

Pebble Beach

Here is the Kashmir / Khaipur Mercedes SS in its current (?) avatar. Maybe we will see it return to its original cream and blue livery for P-B

We have discussed this car before.

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-kashmir-khaipur-mercedes-ss-frt-3ql.jpg

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-kashmir-khaipur-mercedes-ss-frt.jpg
travancore is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2012, 22:08   #1354
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pebble Beach

Why change the color for one show ? Its a sheer waste and test for man and machine to do the make over. It should be noted that the car and its history are intact and the choice of the current owners to present the car they deemed fit.

My view on the topic of changing colors etc . As long as the current shade and its condition is as or close to Authentic shades and material of the period. Such customized cars should not change clothes that often or be restored that often.

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Here is the Kashmir / Khaipur Mercedes SS in its current (?) avatar. Maybe we will see it return to its original cream and blue livery for P-B

Attachment 960463

Attachment 960464
kasli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2012, 11:24   #1355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 960463

Attachment 960464
The Nizam's family also had a very similar SS, there is a picture of it with Azam Jah in the car somewhere here posted by DKG.

Could this car have gone to Khairpur / Kashmir via Hyderabad ?
Old 23rd July 2012, 16:56   #1356
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
The Nizam's family also had a very similar SS, there is a picture of it with Azam Jah in the car somewhere here posted by DKG.

Could this car have gone to Khairpur / Kashmir via Hyderabad ?
I believe they are two different cars. This was originally bought by Kashmir / Khaipur (which seems to have been a Zamindari / small pricipality in Kashmir) per the history I have seen. Not to be confused with Khairpur (now in Pakistan)

Car was featured in the book "Cars I Could've, Should've Kept" authored by Jackson Brooks - who bought and took it out of India. He also at one time owned the Holkar Alfa 2900B.

To differentiate the two, the Hyderabad car (shown below) had flowing front wings, not bicycle/helmet; split windshield and side mounted spares

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-nizam-mercedes-ss.jpg

Last edited by travancore : 23rd July 2012 at 17:01.
travancore is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th July 2012, 01:43   #1357
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I believe they are two different cars. This was originally bought by Kashmir / Khaipur (which seems to have been a Zamindari / small pricipality in Kashmir) per the history I have seen. Not to be confused with Khairpur (now in Pakistan)

Car was featured in the book "Cars I Could've, Should've Kept" authored by Jackson Brooks - who bought and took it out of India. He also at one time owned the Holkar Alfa 2900B.

To differentiate the two, the Hyderabad car (shown below) had flowing front wings, not bicycle/helmet; split windshield and side mounted spares

Attachment 960727
I apologize, the Kashmir / Khaipur car featured in the book "Life's A Hoot" An Autobiography of James Harwood. Claims he bought the car from Noorani Brothers in Bombay, through a newspaper ad.

It travelled to England and Australia along the way.
Old 24th July 2012, 10:17   #1358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore

I apologize, the Kashmir / Khaipur car featured in the book "Life's A Hoot" An Autobiography of James Harwood. Claims he bought the car from Noorani Brothers in Bombay, through a newspaper ad.

It travelled to England and Australia along the way.
Lovely history and revelation. Anyone has that book ? To upload a snap just n case

Cheers
Old 24th July 2012, 10:27   #1359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
Lovely history and revelation. Anyone has that book ? To upload a snap just n case

Cheers
Looks like a good read, the book, will order from amazon today.

Prem....can you suggest some more books on these lines chronicling the lives of car finders/ restorers and dealers with an emphasis on cars taken from India ?
Old 24th July 2012, 16:21   #1360
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Looks like a good read, the book, will order from amazon today.

Prem....can you suggest some more books on these lines chronicling the lives of car finders/ restorers and dealers with an emphasis on cars taken from India ?
Do not like to put books here, but here are excerpts from "Life's A Hoot". Believe the book is available on Google Books. Notice it says "1932".

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-kashmir-khaipur-mercedes-ss-historyjpg.png

--------------------------------------------------------------------

The book that chronicles the Holkar Alfa 8C-2900B is "Cars I Could've Kept, Should've Kept" mentioned in the previous post.
travancore is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th July 2012, 20:14   #1361
Senior - BHPian

The other day (Sunday) I happened to catch sight of this rather nice white fintail 220S being towed by a tow-truck (private) for some distance- seemed quite original with everything but the hubcaps intact, doors were rusted along the bottom. Unfortunately no pics. as I was driving and there was no chance of stopping at a signal on the way etc.! They finally took a right turn at a junction and parted ways. 'hope it was being taken to be restored!
Old 25th July 2012, 16:11   #1362
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Uploading images for vinay kamath as he faced some difficulty sharing the pics:

Name:  my%20black%20merc[1].bmp
Views: 2739
Size:  646.4 KB

Name:  my%20silver%20merc[1].bmp
Views: 2301
Size:  715.6 KB

Last edited by Rehaan : 26th July 2012 at 18:34. Reason: Thanks for re-uploading. Faced a small issue when merging posts, so had to rephrase your post.
Old 26th July 2012, 09:31   #1363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinay kamath View Post
i am happy to share pictures of my mercedes cars!

Is the silver one ex godrej w140? i believe it was advertised on carwale by Godrej staff and was available for view at their vikhroli facility . Single owner company registered, all service records and comprehensive insurance. I didnot have the finances to afford a w140 so did not see it. Beautiful car
Old 26th July 2012, 11:34   #1364
Senior - BHPian

true! it is mr godrej's car. the car is road worthy and effortlessly made a continuous 21 hour drive from mumbai to bangalore , with a few breaks for meals.

w140 cars are absolutely delightful on highways.

the other car is a 1965 mercedes 190 fintail, which once also made a memorable journey, after being bought from a dear friend mr khandke of pune, to bangalore in a similar manner.

thanks for your reply.
vinay kamath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2012, 16:20   #1365
BHPian

Is the W140 a S280, S320, S500 or a S600?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks