Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2012, 08:54   #1231
BHPian

Re: Vintage and Classic Car Definition: India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzman18 View Post
Dear Haritji,

As far as "K" is concerned how do you explain the 540K and the SSK which were called as such even without the 'Kompressor'. It was called as Kurz meaning SWB and the cars had 3 ratings namely blown, unblown and rated bhp meaning the customers could choose to have a supercharger installed.

Regards
Jazzman18
Hi Jazzman,

I would like to correct this part. For the SSK, SSKL the "K" meant Kurtz. But for the 500K, 540K, 770K etc. the "K" meant supercharged. And these cars (500 etc) were always supercharged or blown. Also remember that the SSK and SSKL had stopped being produced by the time the 500K was introduced, so maybe again, DB chose to use the "K" to denote something else. The complex world of DB nomenclatures, I have said before

mbz180
mbz180 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2012, 10:43   #1232
Senior - BHPian

Re: Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
Ok, so the jokes on me now But from my perspective, the 300SE was in realistic terms, top of the line,..Best Regards mbz180
Quote:
Dear Haritji,
I meant the nomenclature pre 220 days. In those days 'C' ...named E class.
As far as "K" is concerned how do you explain...
Speaking of 'S', it first referred to a racer and then 2 door ....
Regards Jazzman18
Prithvi, the grandest one-off Merc I have ever read about in a magazine was of a W 111 or 112 into which the guy shoehorned a Mercedes V8. The article said that Mercedes themselves missed doing that. If I find that article, it was in german, I will post some parts.

Jazzman, a few years ago a similar discussion was on this forum. At that time I did some googling, and Mercedes nomenclature is just mind boggling, it actually bogs you down as they kept changing their meanings. I was just having some fun.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2012, 22:14   #1233

Quote:
Hi Jazzman,

I would like to correct this part. For the SSK, SSKL the "K" meant Kurtz. But for the 500K, 540K, 770K etc. the "K" meant supercharged. And these cars (500 etc) were always supercharged or blown. Also remember that the SSK and SSKL had stopped being produced by the time the 500K was introduced, so maybe again, DB chose to use the "K" to denote something else. The complex world of DB nomenclatures, I have said before

mbz180
Thanks Mbz180. Your knowledge of MB is amazing. Could you tell me some sources of learning about MB (other than the net?) MB is my favourite car manufacturer after Honda. A small correction from my part, I got confused with the option of supercharged engines and the technology to disengage the supercharger in SSK, 500K and 540K.
However, R.W. Schlegelmilch is confident that K in those models meant 'Kurz' meaning SWB and 770 had an option to have supercharging so both the blown and unblown were called 770.
Please correct me if I am wrong.

Regards
Jazzman18
Old 18th March 2012, 21:30   #1234
BHPian

Quote:
Could you tell me some sources of learning about MB (other than the net?) MB is my favourite car manufacturer after Honda. A small correction from my part, I got confused with the option of supercharged engines and the technology to disengage the supercharger in SSK, 500K and 540K.
However, R.W. Schlegelmilch is confident that K in those models meant 'Kurz' meaning SWB and 770 had an option to have supercharging so both the blown and unblown were called 770.
Please correct me if I am wrong.

Regards
Jazzman18
You are not wrong. I missed the last part. You are correct, the supercharger was an option on the 770. If I recall correctly from memory, the German Kaiser's and the Japanese Emperor's 770's were not supercharged. Most of the Nazi top brass 770's were supercharged. But I'm not quite sure about the "k" denoting kurz on these models. All the body styles of the 500 and 540k (even the large 4 door conv.) were supercharged, yes as you have correctly mentioned that the charger was to be used for short bursts of extra power only. I think in most cases you have to stomp on the gas pedal right down to the floor and the supercharger activates. Check out some videos on youtube of an SSK/L going around the current day Monaco Grand Prix circuit. The car when accelerating with the charger sounds like nothing I've heard before, it's intoxicating, wailing like a banshee.

My relatively deeper knowledge of Mercs ranges only from the early 50's to the mid/late 60's. Pre 1950s is a bit better than average and post 1960s is below average, frankly because I really don't care for the later gen cars as much I do for the earlier cars.

With no intended offense to anyone since it's my personal opinion, the Pagoda's were not even a shadow after the 300SL. I don't know what MB was thinking when they watered down the SL to make something as relatively insipid as the Pagodas. They look to my eyes more dated than the earlier SL. Even the 190SL is a great looker and they could have still kept a high performance SL and a affordable SL rather than having 1 SL as a grand tourer. And the sheer elegance of the Ponton 220S cabriolet is not a patch on the later non SL cabriolets. I''ll restrict myself to this for the moment

Best way to learn about Merc's are books specific to the mark and some really good books like International Classics and Classic Cars of the World since they cover the pioneering days of the company upto the pre war era. Thee were published in the late 70s or early 80s.

My knowledge of Pontons is continuous research on the net for over 12 years, from the forum that I am a member of and the cars themselves. Not found a book solely dedicated to Pontons. And yes, many will be having the 4 part collection by George Pagnell-Ferrari, Mercedes Benz, Rolls Royce and Porsche. That book is good as well.

Regards
mbz180
Old 19th March 2012, 12:23   #1235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
.....However, R.W. Schlegelmilch is confident that K in those models meant 'Kurz' meaning SWB ..........Please correct me if I am wrong. Regards Jazzman18
You are correct, K first stood for 'kurtz', it is not 'kurz'. This applied to the early models of late 1920's and early 1930's like SSK etc.

Quote:
You are not wrong.... 770's were supercharged. But I'm not quite sure about the "k" denoting kurz on these models. All the body styles of the 500 and 540k (even the large 4 door conv.) were supercharged...... Regards mbz180
And later when the 500K, 540K and 770K appeared, the letter 'K' saw a transformation. 500K could still be considered as a short car, but those 540K's and 770K's certainly not. Here 'K' would have denoted 'Kompressor', i.e. Supercharged.
It's quite confusing and a bit maddening.

Cheers harit
Old 7th April 2012, 17:56   #1236
Senior - BHPian

Spotted this at the Haji Ali junction looks like a 300 from the 50's . Could be a car seen earlier on the forum

Cheers

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-image2482769947.jpg
Old 7th April 2012, 18:18   #1237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
Spotted this at the Haji Ali junction looks like a 300 from the 50's . Could be a car seen earlier on the forum. Cheers
Are you sure you don't know which car this is? Maybe the Parsi owned car from Malabar Hill?
A few months ago I saw a shabby 300 at Nana Chowk being driven by mechanics.

Here is a SL undergoing restoration.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-sl.jpg  

Old 7th April 2012, 18:25   #1238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit

Are you sure you don't know which car this is? Maybe the Parsi owned car from Malabar Hill?
A few months ago I saw a shabby 300 at Nana Chowk being driven by mechanics.

Here is a SL undergoing restoration.

Cheers harit
The Malabar hill car is at a Pump roof and the shabby looks more like this. Nice SL .

Cheers
Old 7th April 2012, 19:30   #1239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Malabar hill car is at a Pump roof and the shabby looks more like this. Nice SL. Cheers
If the car is a bit shabby, then it could be BML registered and also belong to Malabar Hill, this car is a different car from the one on the pump.

Cheers harit
Old 8th April 2012, 00:10   #1240
BHPian

Quote:
Spotted this at the Haji Ali junction looks like a 300 from the 50's . Could be a car seen earlier on the forum

Cheers

Quote:
The Malabar hill car is at a Pump roof and the shabby looks more like this. Nice SL .

Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
If the car is a bit shabby, then it could be BML registered and also belong to Malabar Hill, this car is a different car from the one on the pump.

Cheers harit
Can we please see some snaps of the 300
Old 8th April 2012, 09:37   #1241
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit

Cheers harit
I remember about 3 yrs ago this cream 300 stood at worli seaface covered up outside gulita.
Old 8th April 2012, 20:30   #1242
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Here are pictures of a very close family friends 1966 W110 200. This car is a low mileage car and as you can see from the engine bay she is absolutely stock.

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-img2012030300253.jpg

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-img2012030300258.jpg

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-img2012030300255.jpg

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-img2012030300256.jpg

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2012, 20:34   #1243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS
Here are pictures of a very close family friends 1966 W110 200. This car is a low mileage car and as you can see from the engine bay she is absolutely stock.

Cheers

KPS
200 or 220 it's interesting as it bears twin carbs while 200 with it could be due to the lights and front. Twin carb not seen for a 200 . I stand totally corrected. The car is wonderful and more snaps of the engine bay excellent reference snaps.

Thanks

Last edited by kasli : 8th April 2012 at 20:36.
Old 8th April 2012, 21:58   #1244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Hi KPS thanks for the pics brings back fond memories we had a 200 just like this when I was 2yrs old. But the car is still in my conscience. Someday i hope to own something like this again. Anyways can you also post pics of the interiors, our car had a mix of MB tex and velour for the interior.
Old 9th April 2012, 07:15   #1245
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Anyways can you also post pics of the interiors, our car had a mix of MB tex and velour for the interior.
Here we go ....

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-merc-dash.jpg

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-merc-f-seat.jpg

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-merc-b-seat.jpg

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks