Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2011, 22:48   #1051
Senior - BHPian

Re: Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
MODS; PLEASE MOVE THE POSTS RELEVANT TO THE 1961 MERCEDES 220S, AS ALL THE ENGINE PARTS HAVE ARRIVED AND ENGINE REBUILDING AS WELL AS BODY WORK FINISHING WILL START FROM THIS WEEK.

Thanks
mbz180

Waiting for your update with the pics Mr. Tagore.
Old 1st March 2011, 22:56   #1052
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
1971 Mercedes Benz 220D W115

Same car i had posted some time ago has got a new paint job done on it. The Work as usual has come out to be like one of the best. Looking forward to feedbacks and comments from everyone.

Thank You
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-img_1201.jpg  

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-img_1202.jpg  

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-img_1203.jpg  

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-img_1204.jpg  

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-img_1205.jpg  

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-img_1206.jpg  

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-img_1207.jpg  

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-img_1208.jpg  

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-img_1209.jpg  

Old 2nd March 2011, 09:44   #1053
Senior - BHPian

What was the original color shade on this car. The white with blue upholstry is not a good combo
Old 2nd March 2011, 10:04   #1054
Senior - BHPian

A lot of these later 115's I see with a centre console, does anyone know if that was a standard issue or optional? My 115 was a 1967 sold by us in 1983, subsequently burnt in the riots had none of this stuff. What a beautiful car she was.

Also IMHO i prefer the original wheels and wheel cap design. The wheels on this car somehow push it more towards a W123 style.
Old 2nd March 2011, 13:32   #1055
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
What was the original color shade on this car. The white with blue upholstry is not a good combo
This car had a metallic blue shade. You can refer to Page No. 62 Post number 916.
Old 2nd March 2011, 17:51   #1056

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
A lot of these later 115's I see with a centre console, does anyone know if that was a standard issue or optional? My 115 was a 1967 sold by us in 1983, subsequently burnt in the riots had none of this stuff. What a beautiful car she was.

Also IMHO i prefer the original wheels and wheel cap design. The wheels on this car somehow push it more towards a W123 style.
To be honest, The Wheels look completely out of place as you mentioned Amol. These are from the W210. The W123 alloys would have been decent on this car too, but the cake would have been the original wheelcaps from either this or the early W123s.
Old 3rd March 2011, 06:07   #1057
Senior - BHPian

Thats a pristine example of a W115,not too many around anymore.Paintwork is top notch.

Although like everyone said those W210 wheels and what looks like a HU inside looks a bit out of place.
Old 3rd March 2011, 10:56   #1058
BHPian

[quote=the mole;2262969]A lot of these later 115's I see with a centre console, does anyone know if that was a standard issue or optional? My 115 was a 1967 sold by us in 1983,...

I always thought the W 115 was introduced in 1968

W 115's are lovely cars. This is a shining example but without being finicky IF it were mine I would do the following:

1. Change the steering wheel back to the original one with the chrome horn ring. Since this car has blue upholstery I would risk saying it also probably had the ivory coloured steering wheel.

2. Change the rear lights back to the original un ribbed lenses, they are also far more graceful!

3. Also change the wheels back to the original stainless steel ones.

4. The acclerator pedal seems to have been changed, would install the original one back.

5. A new set of carpets will go with the shiny paint.

The central console was standard, but it did have two or three different versions to it.
Strangely this console was fitted to cars with factory fitted airconditioning, the blower would be right under main vents.
You can also see the suction vents for the blower in the left side footwell picture.

Lovely car IndrojitSircar, I'm sure that after all these years of service she will still touch many more lives in the coming years.
Old 3rd March 2011, 13:49   #1059
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvis View Post
Which is why they put /8 on the VIN plates of the W115 to signify the year of launch (being 1968). And among it's various nicknames, like the 'compact model' that's popular here, in Germany the W115 was also referred to as the Strich Acht (meaning stroke eight in English).
Old 3rd March 2011, 14:25   #1060
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

I have very limited knowledge on Merc's hence my question could appear very basic. Did the car W115 come with the heater glow indicator? In the second picture under the meters above the steering column one can see the heater indicator. We used to see them in the old diesel Amby's which need frequent heating to start.

Cheers

Last edited by KPS : 3rd March 2011 at 14:26. Reason: edit
Old 3rd March 2011, 16:42   #1061
Senior - BHPian

[quote=Alvis;2264493]
Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
A lot of these later 115's I see with a centre console, does anyone know if that was a standard issue or optional? My 115 was a 1967 sold by us in 1983,...

W 115's are lovely cars. This is a shining example but without being finicky IF it were mine I would do the following:

1. Change the steering wheel back to the original one with the chrome horn ring. Since this car has blue upholstery I would risk saying it also probably had the ivory coloured steering wheel.

2. Change the rear lights back to the original un ribbed lenses, they are also far more graceful!

Oops my mistake it was indeed a 1968 I dont know why I typed 67, It was one of the first few ones with original Bench seat in the front which was a option then.

Alvis if i am not mistaken this is a later car. The early cars had the older style steering with chrome horn ring. White steering was optional mine had a dark greyish black colour. I think later cars even had ribbed lenses.

KPS the diesel glow plugs, Bosch ones in this case started from the 180D in 1954 (55?) and is present on my car. If this car is on her original diesel engine this glow plug would not be out of place.

Last edited by the mole : 3rd March 2011 at 16:45.
Old 3rd March 2011, 17:55   #1062
BHPian

[quote=the mole;2265033]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvis View Post

Oops my mistake it was indeed a 1968 I dont know why I typed 67, It was one of the first few ones with original Bench seat in the front which was a option then.

Alvis if i am not mistaken this is a later car. The early cars had the older style steering with chrome horn ring. White steering was optional mine had a dark greyish black colour. I think later cars even had ribbed lenses.

KPS the diesel glow plugs, Bosch ones in this case started from the 180D in 1954 (55?) and is present on my car. If this car is on her original diesel engine this glow plug would not be out of place.
OK, so that explains why your car had no console. All the front bench seat variants with column shift were without the console and are now pretty rare in the 115 community. I have only seen two of these cars and they are both without console.

I doubt that this is a later car, the easiest give away are the front quarter windows which are clearly visible in the photographs, so it is pre 1973. The changes came in the form of a facelift in end 1973 and included no front quarter windows, change of steering wheel to the large padded one, change of rear lenses, wider front grill different gutter rails and quite a few others.

I'm floored on the glow plug issue because I am using memory (faded ) for the above info, but have my doubts as to the glow plug.
I remember some family friends who had a 200 D and I can also remember asking him how to start, and he said just turn the key and hit the starter as you would in a petrol engine. This was quite a shock for me as I thought all diesel cars had to be warm the glow plugs first.

Someone will have to give more input on this glow plug indicator question
Old 3rd March 2011, 18:32   #1063
Senior - BHPian

That golow plug is certainly not original...either the engien has been changed at some point or this had been added cause NO Merc came with that sort of a devce
Old 3rd March 2011, 19:09   #1064
Senior - BHPian

Had spotted this W123 on the way to munnar in kerela a year back.
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-img_0658.jpg  

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-img_0660.jpg  

avishar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2011, 22:03   #1065
BHPian

This perforated-grille type of glow plug indicator was original fitment in this model of the Mercedes (W115) Diesels. The way it worked was that you turned the key clockwise to ignite the glow plugs, and when they warmed up the filament behind the grille would become red to indicate that the glow plugs were warm and then one had to pull the knob that actuated the self-starter solenoid and crank the engine (like in the old Ambys and Fiat Millecentos and Elegants).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks