Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2010, 15:27   #1006
Senior - BHPian

Re: Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
Amol, You asking this? See the extra chrome on the rear and the big lights in the front and its a sure 220S na.
Sorry I got this message too late, its already discussed
Indeed Sir definately a 220S, especially when Prithvi confirmed the chassis no and engine no. The only reason i was asking this was, I was offered a car some years back from the South which was a genuine 220 with all 220S trim and the owner confirmed it had sourced all the 220S trim and put it on the car to take it up a notch. Otherwise a very honest car that.

Anyways here a link to a nice page which clarifies all doubts about the six cylinder cars. The 220, 220S and 220SE models
Old 18th December 2010, 00:57   #1007
Senior - BHPian

Would just like to add that this car is not being worked on in our workshop as of now. It is being done by another mechanic of Prithvi's. Since his Ponton is being restored in our place, people might just get the impression that this car is also being worked on in our workshop. Not pointing any fingers at anyone, just clarifying.

Thank You
Old 18th December 2010, 11:13   #1008
BHPian

Hello all,

Found a couple of culprits to the engine problems and overheating since we have taken the engine out.

1)5 of the cylinder liners in the head gasket are blown and as a result, led to overheating and loss of compression

2)No.1 cylinder valve seat has more or less sunk in and that is why it has a socket inserted for the spark plug

3)All 6 piston ring sets were set in with way too much clearance from the cylinder wall, again resulting in less power.

Therefore, my mechanic was spot on when he said that the car is overheating because of loss of compression.

Gogi, you too were quite close, as in the head gasket was one of the main culprits.

Suffice to say, without seeing and understanding the problem, it's very easy to say that the mechanics diagnosis was wrong and that he has no experience, but the fact is, without taking the engine apart, we would not be sure about the cause of the problems.

This very same mechanic, has fitted a Tata Sumo Victa Hydraulic Clutch on this car, with very little modification and good results. He hasn't studied beyond Class 5, but his experience shows in the application of his knowledge. As they say, experience is everything

Now getting back to the engine rebuild, here's what we are doing:

1) Re-using the old pistons as they are in good shape
2) Re-using the big end and main bearings which are also in good shape
3) Changing all the valves, guides, seats etc.
4) Inserting new sleeves for the cylinder walls
5) Inserting new rings
6) Slight facing of the head
7) Changing all seals and gaskets
8) Re-using the timing chain and it's guide rails
9) Changing the timing chain tensioner if required

Regards
Prithvi
Old 18th December 2010, 11:45   #1009
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
Hello all,................... As they say, experience is everything...................
Regards Prithvi
Hi Prithvi,
I tend not to agree with you.
Some basic knowledge of how and why things work is essential. Most of the non marque/dealer based workshop employ boys who learn while working. In the process, they ruin a lot of stuff before they learn how to do it. Once they work on let us say a carb, they know that a pin goes "there", but not why and what is its function. They have learned by practice, and somehow that translates into experience. You had lots of mechanics all over India fixing Ambys and Fiats. Then came Maruti, they learned, by practice, to fix Maruti's initially damaged a few. Now they all can fix Maruti's and Indica's. Now you go and get your Amby or Fiat fixed. There are many mechanics who do not know how to fix the old cars.
Ever though of this angle?

Cheers harit
Old 18th December 2010, 12:31   #1010
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Hi Prithvi,
Some basic knowledge of how and why things work is essential. Most of the non marque/dealer based workshop employ boys who learn while working. In the process, they ruin a lot of stuff before they learn how to do it. Once they work on let us say a carb, they know that a pin goes "there", but not why and what is its function. They have learned by practice, and somehow that translates into experience. You had lots of mechanics all over India fixing Ambys and Fiats. Then came Maruti, they learned, by practice, to fix Maruti's initially damaged a few. Now they all can fix Maruti's and Indica's. Now you go and get your Amby or Fiat fixed. There are many mechanics who do not know how to fix the old cars.

Cheers harit
Hi Harit,

Yes this is a new angle. However, my remarks were based solely on this particular mechanic who was said to lack experience, a point that I still disagree with. By the way, this mechanic knows only how to fix cars that are not fuel injected, except for the earlier Maruti's! Show him an Indica or Hyundai Santro, and he'll be lost, he doesn't even attempt to learn, and is happy to let them go to workshops to have them fixed.

Oh and Amol, you were right too about the head gasket

Regards
Prithvi
Old 18th December 2010, 13:17   #1011
BHPian

Here are some pics of the disassembled engine, showing the leak in the head gasket liners on all cylinders.

Regards
Prithvi
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-gasket_1.jpg  

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-gasket_3.jpg  

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-gasketcyl12.jpg  

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-gasketwhole.jpg  

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-head_1.jpg  

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-head_2.jpg  

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-manifold_1.jpg  

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-waterpassage_1.jpg  

Old 18th December 2010, 15:32   #1012
Senior - BHPian

Anyone has any idea where this car is now?
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-mercedes.jpg  

Old 18th December 2010, 18:47   #1013
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Prithvi,

Cheers harit
fully with you .Also some of them behave as if it is a disgrace to even try to learn how to fix the golden oldies
Old 21st December 2010, 22:14   #1014
BHPian

Some pics of the engine bay and the interiors of the 220S.
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-durgapuja2010-012.jpg  

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-engine_1.jpg  

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-engine_2.jpg  

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-inside_1.jpg  

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-inside_2.jpg  

Old 22nd December 2010, 10:02   #1015
Senior - BHPian

Wow Prithvi the interiors are fabulous, though I think the dashboard top has been refinished. Can you confirm? Is that a Blaupunkt Mexico, can you put detail pics of it on the radio thread?
Old 22nd December 2010, 11:01   #1016
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Wow Prithvi the interiors are fabulous, though I think the dashboard top has been refinished. Can you confirm? Is that a Blaupunkt Mexico, can you put detail pics of it on the radio thread?
The interior rexine unfortunately has been faded due to exposure to the sun. We will redo them in leather. Yes the dash has been redone. It's a Becker Mexico Cassette and radio player. I'll put up some detail pics of it later.

Regards
Prithvi
Old 22nd December 2010, 11:11   #1017
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The interior rexine unfortunately has been faded due to exposure to the sun. We will redo them in leather.
Don't you'll loose the originality, just recolour them, they will look new.
Old 22nd December 2010, 11:24   #1018
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Don't you'll loose the originality, just recolour them, they will look new.
Arre Amol, what originality? These covers were put only 6 years back. They are not MB-Tex. Much better to put leather.

Dark blue car with light tan interiors. Will retain the cord wind lace and the headliner though, as they are original.

It's a very complete and sound car and quite original, it's a shame the car was left in the open for 5 years due to lack of interest from the owner and the chronic overheating. That's all set to change now, as now onwards the car will be in my care and will be kept in my garage

Regards
Prithvi
Old 22nd December 2010, 11:43   #1019
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
There is a good workshop in Bangalore. If you are interested I will PM you the details.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkie366 View Post
I'll be happy for any assistance! Please do PM me the details
If you have to exchange valuable information via PM, the purpose of this forum (i.e. information sharing) is entirely lost. @ MBZ180, Please be kind enough to share the workshop details out on the public thread itself. That way, several other members & guests stand to benefit.

Thanks
Old 22nd December 2010, 19:44   #1020
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anyone has any idea where this car is now?
This is car is in Mumbai and close to your house at A workshop

Cheers

Last edited by kasli : 22nd December 2010 at 19:47.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks