Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2010, 18:28   #961
BHPian

Mercedes 300SEL Landaulet 1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv2drv View Post
Thanks harit. I was able to see the car this morning... And I'm still in shock. I've lived on the same road for a long time! Less than a km away!!! The owner would not allow me to take pictures. Sadly it's not the car I've posted earlier, but not so sadly it is a landaulet from the 60's. It's not a 600 Pullman but is based on the w115. The car is in really bad condition! Not much left on the inside, and there is a branch going through the canvas part of the roof as it only half exists. There is an atlas cycle on the back seat, boxes, concrete from the garage roof (I think it is) all over the pine wood bar. I'm not sure if I'll be able to take on a restoration of this magnitude. However, the owner (very old, kind & surprisingly witty) claims he can put one through to someone in london with all the parts of the car and if one chooses, it can be sent over for restoration. It's a bit out of my league as I don't have the time to put into a project like this. If anyone else is interested Pls pm me. I'll find a similar car online and post a pic soon.
Is it this one??

This one is a 300SEL 1966, one of them was used by the pope.

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-mercedes_benz_300_sel_landaulet_.jpg

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-300-sel-landaulet.jpg

Pope in the Merc.

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-pope-4.jpg

regards
invinci
Old 12th October 2010, 11:25   #962
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv2drv View Post
Thanks harit. I was able to see the car this morning... And I'm still in shock. I've lived on the same road for a long time! Less than a km away!!! The owner would not allow me to take pictures. Sadly it's not the car I've posted earlier, but not so sadly it is a landaulet from the 60's. It's not a 600 Pullman but is based on the w115.
Are you sure 115, not 108/109?
BTW, that would be a coach built car, rare no doubt, and depending upon the quality of work the car could rust very fast. But a nice find. Why worry, go ahead and get yourself something special.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybiker46 View Post
spotted a W116 Merc S class
Would be intersting to know if she is a V-8, 350 or 450, or a 6 cylinder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
Is it just me or do the two headlights in the first picture appear to be different? The headlight on right seems to have a almost circular reflector while the one on the left seems to have an oval shaped reflector.
Optical illusion, headlights appear to be correct. In the 123 there were early cars with round reflectors and later models had rectangular reflectors. Those headlight glasses were distinctively different. But for 116 there was basically one type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by invinci View Post
Is it this one?? This one is a 300SEL 1966, one of them was used by the pope. Pope in the Merc. regards invinci
This is a 108/109, liv2drv said 115. Difficult to decide which car as there is no info. And 108/109 against 115 can be mistaken for each other at the first glance, specially coachbuilt cars.

Cheers harit
Old 13th October 2010, 16:22   #963
Senior - BHPian

liv2drv, Just Buy this car. Its a Landaulet, and its Very rare. This has to be the one the Pope used, so the history is known!
Old 13th October 2010, 16:43   #964
BHPian

The left head light is definitely wrong...both the head light and park light were probably broken at sometime and the high cost of a new one was prohibitive so some bright spark has fitted a large round headlight and round fog light behind a lens.The fog light and headlight reflectors are rectangular as in the right side light.
The headlights are still available new around $500 US.
The mercedes Wrecking yards here in Australia have lots of them for around $100AUD.
Old 13th October 2010, 22:12   #965
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star man View Post
The left head light is definitely wrong...both the head light and park light were probably broken at sometime and the high cost of a new one was prohibitive so some bright spark has fitted a large round headlight and round fog light behind a lens.The fog light and headlight reflectors are rectangular as in the right side light.
The mercedes Wrecking yards here in Australia have lots of them for around $100AUD.
I knew I was right!
Studying industrial design for 4 years does have its advantages.....
Old 13th October 2010, 23:54   #966
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
I knew I was right!
Studying industrial design for 4 years does have its advantages.....
It is an optical illusion created by the camera, as demonstrated by the pink line which is of same size on both the sides yet on the left it crosses the line of the bonnet so the reflector apprears more rounder on the the left side.

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-merc-asymetric.jpg

and if you copy the right headlamp , flip it and stretch the corners as per that of left side headlamp corners and make it more transparent the reflectors are perfect match as shown in the picture below.

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-merc-one-eye.jpg

regards

invinci
Old 13th October 2010, 23:59   #967
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The left head light is definitely wrong...both the head light and park light were probably broken at sometime and the high cost of a new one was prohibitive so some bright spark...................
This post made me look again at the original post, and I see that there are 3 photos. Somehow I had missed the first picture. It is clearly a replacement.
We do not know when this was done, but for many years import of such spares was prohibitively expesive. Many Peugeots like 504 etc. with their fancy headlights had them replaced with round ones. Till deshi lenses appeared. But still not a bad job. I love these W116, so elegant, no one had anything near it.
See how larger diameter healights were fitted on Dukker Fiat's.

Cheers harit
Old 15th October 2010, 19:59   #968
Senior - BHPian

One of the cover lenses is a newer one which can be seen, hence this confusion. But it is an original light.
Is your W116 Ready Harit?
Old 16th October 2010, 13:04   #969
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Is your W116 Ready Harit?
Getting there

I do not know where to mention this, so I put up here.
A few days ago, North Korea had a majestic military Tamasha where the "Dear Leader" 's third son was introduced for succession. Foreign journalists were allowed to film, BBC showed a long report, and a part of this Tamasha included

TWO Mercedes-Benz 600 long wheel base Landaulets. WOW.

These Mercs were the favourite of Communist leaders and Dictators around the world into the 1970's. India also had one. By now most have been sold off, as the states or dictatorships upgraded to more modern vehicles. But North Korea being a poor country, apparently did not afford newer luxury Limos. Anyway, who makes such limos today apart from the "enemy" Americans? But these two Landaulettes drove perfectly in sync, wonder who has been maintaining them. Mercedes-Benz must surely be involved, it is difficult to keep these cars running.
Maybe this can be seen somewhere on U Tube, worth watching.

Cheers harit
Old 17th October 2010, 03:01   #970
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post

Would be intersting to know if she is a V-8, 350 or 450, or a 6 cylinder.

Cheers harit
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
One of the cover lenses is a newer one which can be seen, hence this confusion. But it is an original light.
Totally forgot about my post here,just noticed

@harit - I forgot to check that,but engine in use is a diesel one.

i had seen this car featured in a TV show where owner says he still have petrol engine but it's kept at home and uses diesel engine.

^^i guess both lights are original
Old 24th October 2010, 16:15   #971
Senior - BHPian

1982 Mercedes Benz 500 SEL

This is a lovely MErcedes which is a dream car of mine. Its got a V8 engine in it. Hope everyone likes it.
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-img_6301.jpg  

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-img_6302.jpg  

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-img_6303.jpg  

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-img_6304.jpg  

IndrojitSircar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2010, 18:23   #972
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post

This is a lovely MErcedes which is a dream car of mine. Its got a V8 engine in it. Hope everyone likes it.

There are 2 SEL W126 mercedes in Kerala,if my info is correct.
One is RHD and the other is LHD
Old 24th October 2010, 18:28   #973
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybiker46 View Post
Totally forgot about my post here,just noticed

@harit - I forgot to check that,but engine in use is a diesel one.

i had seen this car featured in a TV show where owner says he still have petrol engine but it's kept at home and uses diesel engine.

^^i guess both lights are original
I too have seen this car in Trivandrum, especially on the NH47 Byepass
Old 24th October 2010, 20:13   #974
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post

wow immaculate is the word. i want those headlamp wipers for my 500 too. i think i will have to check at opera house, Mumbai
Old 24th October 2010, 22:27   #975
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by konjaril View Post
wow immaculate is the word. i want those headlamp wipers for my 500 too. i think i will have to check at opera house, Mumbai
Please upload detailed pics of your car here so that we could have a look at it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks