Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2009, 15:48   #286
Senior - BHPian

Nice 190 used to ogle at identical red 89 models cars when they passed me by whilst studying in the US. That red was a common color choice for the 88 through 92 2.6 babybenz model in the US. That roof stickon fake antena spoils the story though. It would be much better with the old circular telephone antenas available at that time fitted in the same place, there were many replica stickon gass station shop variety also available. You could still score one from a local shop as they were available in India in hoards
Old 14th May 2009, 17:01   #287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naren4140 View Post
Can i post the pictures of my 1984 W126 280 S in this forum ??? ...
Ofcourse Naren, please do
Old 14th May 2009, 19:44   #288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star man View Post
Hi there!, The steering wheel is interesting,if you ever find the correct version I would be interested in buyin the one in the picture from you.

Thanks, Star man. The four spokes are original 170V. The
wooden has been reworked and is new.

Last edited by Rehaan : 15th May 2009 at 04:00. Reason: Quote fixed.
Old 15th May 2009, 12:32   #289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
Nice 190 used to ogle at identical red 89 models cars when they passed me by whilst studying in the US. That red was a common color choice for the 88 through 92 2.6 babybenz model in the US. That roof stickon fake antena spoils the story though. It would be much better with the old circular telephone antenas available at that time fitted in the same place, there were many replica stickon gass station shop variety also available. You could still score one from a local shop as they were available in India in hoards
Yup! nice colour looks great but also makes it a target for the #$%^&*%ricks to give it a swipe.
The antena came with the car, I think its part of a phone kit , there was an amplifier size box in the boot connected to it, which I removed but getting rid of the antena is too much of a hastle.
Cheers,
SG
Old 15th May 2009, 15:50   #290
Senior - BHPian

I still feel it is a stickon maybe the orignal came of/fell. Yuo are sure to see a gap between the antena with a cravis between if so it is 100% stick on if there is a rubber bidding/seal running smoothly down the antena directly touching the red roof without any ridges it is the real macoy. Check because if it has indeed been stuck on you still have a bare hole which will give you rust nightmares in the future. Those holes are to be plugged with a metal/chrome plug with rubber washer to avoid rust.

One trick i follow to avoid people scratching (mostly because of habbit to not watch where they walk and their bags/rings/belts mostly scratch as they brush) is I always park my car slight cross (not parallel to the curb) with front jutting outrear inside and turn the steering out so the wheel truns out. Anyone walking by will intinctively keeps distance from the car so their pants don't touch the tyre and get soiled. Mumbai is very populated and this works for me day in day out try it cheers

Last edited by canonball : 15th May 2009 at 15:55.
Old 15th May 2009, 16:35   #291
BHPian

Pictures of my W126 280 S,

Picasa Web Albums - Naren - Mercedes-Benz...#
Old 18th May 2009, 08:59   #292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naren4140 View Post
Congrats Naren on adding another German beauty to your stable. IMO, the W126 is the best model\shape for a S-class Merc. They don't build them like this anymore. I have also seen similar Mercs badged 'SEL'. How different is the SEL compared to your S?
Old 18th May 2009, 09:38   #293
Senior - BHPian

Hi Naren.

Your Merc is a beauty and I agree with the gentleman with the unpronounceable name that this particular body style epitomises what a Mercedes should look like.

Its by far the best looking design they ever did post the vintage era. I would love to get one of these preferably a 500 or 560 SEL in dark blue or black.

Among the other comtemporary designs of note would be the original 190E and the first generation C class.

The difference between the S & SEL would be electronic igniton and a longer wheel base for more leg room at the rear. The SEL will have a bigger side rear windows compared to a standard S.
Old 18th May 2009, 14:02   #294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
I would love to get one of these preferably a 500 or 560 SEL in dark blue or black.
Yes, they look best in dark colors. Oh yeah, a bigger engine would be more fun too.

Quote:
The difference between the S & SEL would be electronic igniton and a longer wheel base for more leg room at the rear. The SEL will have a bigger side rear windows compared to a standard S.
Thanks for the info Wasif.

Quote:
Your Merc is a beauty and I agree with the gentleman with the unpronounceable name ...like.
That unpronounceable id stands for my name 'Santhosh' in Leet
Old 18th May 2009, 14:29   #295
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Naren.

Your Merc is a beauty and I agree with the gentleman with the unpronounceable name that this particular body style epitomises what a Mercedes should look like.

Its by far the best looking design they ever did post the vintage era. I would love to get one of these preferably a 500 or 560 SEL in dark blue or black.

Among the other comtemporary designs of note would be the original 190E and the first generation C class.

All w126's should have electronic ignition ( if not is has been fitted to keep a car going'on the cheap " ) .The difference is just in the wheel base ,SE = short wheel base and SEL = 100mm longer wheel base. As with any mercedes you could option your car any way you wanted it. My younger brother has a 1983 380SEL which has a long list of options .I have the remans of a ex Hong Kong 500SEL which had hardly any options at all. I have seen a 260 SEL which would have to be a poverty pack car because it had crank up windows and no air condtioning. Amercans got the only W126 Diesels,the 300SD which were all turbo charged .
I have also had a 500SEC from the UK which had every available option including a mobile fax machine!.
I bought that cheap because it suffered from the usual M117 V8 problem of broken timing chain. This had smashed all the valves on one side and destroyed two pistons. it was easier and cheaper to install a second hand ex hong kong engine.
It has since been replaced by an ultra nice 280SE W126 ,which is going to be used by my dad . It is completely unmarked and still has all the little tags and so on a new car had dangling from it in 1984.
It was also cheap at only $800 AUD. I thank the Americans from the bottom of my heart for the financial panic,it made a lot of nice cars very accesible here right now..
Star man is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2009, 16:21   #296
BHPian

S= Sonderklas (Carbureted)
SE= Sonderklass with Fuel Injection
SEL =Sonderklass with Fuel Injection and Long W Base
Old 18th May 2009, 17:28   #297
BHPian

Did any W126's ever come with a carburetor?
I have seen one but it had an engine from a W114 280 .the engine was 12 years older than the car
Old 18th May 2009, 19:17   #298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All w126's should have electronic ignition ( if not is has been fitted to keep a car going'on the cheap " ) .
Hi there Star man.

That "electronic ignition" was a typo on my part should actually have read "electronic Injection".

The cars with just an S had twin carbs and later the SE had Bosch Electronic Fuel Injection and the SEL were the long wheelbase cars with electronic fuel injection.

Curiosly it would appear that the S, with the carbs was not available in LWB or we would have ended up with a four door SL !!!

Last edited by wasif : 18th May 2009 at 19:22.
Old 18th May 2009, 19:25   #299
BHPian

yes yes they did ! (stock engines for the S Class) before the SE's came
Old 18th May 2009, 19:43   #300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Did any W126's ever come with a carburetor?
I have seen one but it had an engine from a W114 280 .the engine was 12 years older than the car
The Earlier straight six W126s came with a carb.
The carb had dual butterflys, the second opening after reaching certain rpm. You could actually feel the leap and increase in power.

The W114s and W115s all came with a carburetted engine only.

Naren, there are no pics of the W126 in your link ??!!

Last edited by V-16 : 18th May 2009 at 19:51. Reason: add

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks