Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2009, 10:30   #256
Senior - BHPian

Oh. I'm sorry. Never seen a 100,000 VW badge though. Could you post a picture of one please.
Old 17th March 2009, 20:56   #257
Senior - BHPian

world record beater mercedes

Here is some info about the highest mileage mercedes diesel car doumented by Mercedes.
In 1978, when the Mercedes-Benz Type 300SD (W116) was introduced, the firm launched the "Great Diesel Search" to find out how long lasting and rugged their diesel passenger cars really were. The oldest one was found to be a 1938 Type 260D owned by Paul Dauer of Chicago, but with only 84,742 miles behind it. The high mileage car turned out to be owned by Robert O'Reilly of Olympia, Washington, whose 1957 Type 180D (W120) had traveled 1,184,880 miles.
The high mileage Type 180D was then featured in an advertising campaign during the 1980s which emphasized the durability and long lasting value of Mercedes-Benz passenger cars. Mr. O'Reilly's car was also listed in the Guinness Book of World Records as "the world's most durable car". The 2nd place award in the "Great Diesel Search" went to Edward Donaldson of Eugene, Oregon who put 912,493 miles on his 1968 Type 220D/8 (W115). Mercedes-Benz of North America, Inc. awarded a new 300SD to the owners of the oldest and highest mileage cars. The top 5 cars in the mileage class had traveled a total of 4.6 million miles.
Old 18th March 2009, 12:19   #258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Oh. I'm sorry. Never seen a 100,000 VW badge though. Could you post a picture of one please.
I have couple of them for my VW Bug will post pictures of the same. They are very adorable ones and hard to find these days....the original ones though...
Old 18th March 2009, 19:25   #259
sat
BHPian

Here is a link of a SSK doing a lap at Monaco, I loved the spine tingling whine of the supercharger...

Video "Episode 5 - one lap Kompressor Mercedes 1928, GP track of Monaco" | sevenload
Old 21st March 2009, 22:22   #260
BHPian

HRH Marthanda Varma of Travancore

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Here is some info about the highest mileage mercedes diesel car doumented by Mercedes.
In 1978, when the Mercedes-Benz Type 300SD (W116) was introduced, the firm launched the "Great Diesel Search" to find out how long lasting and rugged their diesel passenger cars really were. The oldest one was found to be a 1938 Type 260D owned by Paul Dauer of Chicago, but with only 84,742 miles behind it. The high mileage car turned out to be owned by Robert O'Reilly of Olympia, Washington, whose 1957 Type 180D (W120) had traveled 1,184,880 miles.
The high mileage Type 180D was then featured in an advertising campaign during the 1980s which emphasized the durability and long lasting value of Mercedes-Benz passenger cars. Mr. O'Reilly's car was also listed in the Guinness Book of World Records as "the world's most durable car". The 2nd place award in the "Great Diesel Search" went to Edward Donaldson of Eugene, Oregon who put 912,493 miles on his 1968 Type 220D/8 (W115). Mercedes-Benz of North America, Inc. awarded a new 300SD to the owners of the oldest and highest mileage cars. The top 5 cars in the mileage class had traveled a total of 4.6 million miles.
I'd like to add my bit on high mileage Mercs..HRH Marthanda Varma the present head of the Travancore Royal family had a Blue colour 180D,one of the early models first registered as KLT 42,later reregistered in Karnataka, if I'm not mistaken the Regn No. was CKJ 42.This car was a common sight in Bangalore in the late 70's early 80's and had quite a few mileage badges on its grill,has covered a few lakh miles, unfortunately I dont remember the mileage covered.I have a malayalam newspaper cutting of an article on this car with a photograph,will post it here if I can find it, atleast for the photograph.Also this car was self driven by His Highness, wonder if he still has the car.Could any BHPian from Trivandrum provide some further info.
Cheers,
SG
Old 22nd March 2009, 10:30   #261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilgee View Post
I'd like to add my bit on high mileage Mercs..HRH Marthanda Varma the present head of the Travancore Royal family had a Blue colour 180D,one of the early models first registered as KLT 42,later reregistered in Karnataka, if I'm not mistaken the Regn No. was CKJ 42.This car was a common sight in Bangalore in the late 70's early 80's and had quite a few mileage badges on its grill,has covered a few lakh miles, unfortunately I dont remember the mileage covered.I have a malayalam newspaper cutting of an article on this car with a photograph,will post it here if I can find it, atleast for the photograph.Also this car was self driven by His Highness, wonder if he still has the car.Could any BHPian from Trivandrum provide some further info.
Cheers,
SG
Please check post 249 below in this thread.

The car being discussed is the Travencore Royal Family car CAN 42.
Old 22nd March 2009, 11:25   #262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Please check post 249 below in this thread.

The car being discussed is the Travencore Royal Family car CAN 42.
Oops sorry !!! I jumped the gun did'nt notice that post , was in a hurry to put in my bit on some interesting information..
SG
Old 22nd March 2009, 12:21   #263
Senior - BHPian

Can42

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilgee View Post
Oops sorry !!! I jumped the gun did'nt notice that post , was in a hurry to put in my bit on some interesting information..
SG
Yes the car is very much running and in daily use
It was featured recently in MANORAMA news FASTTRACK show.
It is fully original and has completed 800000 miles If I am not mistaken.
The Maharajah HH Uthradom Thirunal Marthanda Varma no longer drives it.
It is driven by the palace chauffeur

Ajay
Old 22nd March 2009, 14:19   #264
Senior - BHPian

For everyones info Classic center in Stuttgart issues mileage badges to cars that have documented original miles on them. These badges are very desirable as one cannot buy them without official proof of the car having completed the mileage, besides which grill badges are very popular on ponton models in Germany and the US of A, the ponton grill design just makes it easy to clip on these badges.

If any member has a car with documented mileage the MB Club here is able to process your request for a badge.
Old 22nd March 2009, 17:27   #265
BHPian

Gents,
You may be intersted to learn that the Mercedes with the highest recorded kilometers is a 1976 taxi from Thessaloniki in Greece with 4.6 million (yes 4600000Km) and is now in the Mercedes museum.
Google for Mercedes taxi highest mileage or go to
Proverbial Longevity in 4.6 Million Kilometers - Worldcarfans

Courtesy of worldcarfans

I used to live outside Thessaloniki in 2004 and there were hundreds of these taxis around so who knows what other high mileage cars are there.
Cheers
Cedric
Old 23rd March 2009, 00:02   #266
BHPian

My 1965 Mercedes 190Dc.
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-merc-190dc2.jpg  

invinci is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2009, 11:02   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invinci View Post
My 1965 Mercedes 190Dc.
Very Nice car. Can you post some more pictures?

And Gentlemen, as promised - here is the scan. They are in order - All 16 pages:

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-page-1.jpg

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-page-2.jpg

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-page-3.jpg

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-page-4.jpg

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-page-5.jpg

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-page-6.jpg

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-page-7.jpg

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-page-8.jpg

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-page-9.jpg

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-page-10.jpg

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-page-11.jpg

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-page-12.jpg

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-page-13.jpg

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-page-14.jpg

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-page-15.jpg

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-page-16.jpg
vcash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2009, 20:58   #268
BHPian

I was doing a short cut home and by chance saw some interesting cars in a car garage. There was a very handsome Merc that I understand is for sale. The chap at the garage didn't have the owners phone number but said he could get it.

I'm not normally a Merc person but it certainly caught my eye. If any one is interested I could go back and get the phone number.

This is a copy of an ad that the garage had ran in the Statesman newspaper a long time ago when they were servicing cars. Now it is a storage garage and the Morris Minor has been the family since new. There was a very nice 1954 Dodge sedan but my photos didn't turn out.
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-img_4891.jpg  

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-img_4890.jpg  

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-img_4893.jpg  

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-img_4894.jpg  

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-img_4886.jpg  

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-img_4887.jpg  

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-img_4888.jpg  

Old 27th March 2009, 15:59   #269
Senior - BHPian

John, Thats one clean 123! What series is she 240D or 300D? Is she in original paint? I am interested please. How do you want me to go about it?
Some side and back snaps would be appreciated. Can you share the name and address of the garage?
Old 27th March 2009, 16:20   #270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
John, Thats one clean 123! What series is she 240D or 300D? Is she in original paint? I am interested please. How do you want me to go about it?
Some side and back snaps would be appreciated. Can you share the name and address of the garage?
I'm not a Merc person and was impressed with the looks and condition, apart from that I can't offer any additional info.

The garage owners name is Subir Sen, phone # 9830534147 and email address is subir_ranjan_sen@yahoo.com
Address is 2 Pandita Rd Calcutta 029, just south off Hazra and about 8 blocks east of S.P. Mukherjee Rd.

Will try and take some more photos and post.

Last edited by john a milne : 27th March 2009 at 16:26.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks