Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2009, 14:55   #241
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
What a find, lucky you.

That last book looks really interesting, Karl Benz und Gottlieb Daimler. How large is it, can you share a scan with us? And while you're at it, the 600 as well
Scanning the 600 owner manual may be a bit too intensive, but I will put up scans of the historical literature. Be forewarned - it is in German so we will need lingustics gurus to translate this.
Old 13th March 2009, 15:20   #242
Senior - BHPian

Great find Vikash. Please keep them in your safe as this is is a prize find.
Old 13th March 2009, 23:50   #243
Senior - BHPian

600 hundred manual wow!! put me down for a copy of the scans dude. 600 is my dream car, hope i dont have to grow to a iddy amin size to own one one day.

Even the 219 manual is very rare, so are 219's they were far less produced than the 220S which are more common, and therefore more valuable IMHO than the 220S. We have a very nice 219 in our MB club.
Old 14th March 2009, 11:19   #244
Senior - BHPian

These Mercedes manuals are great help when restoring your car. But there is one problem. These manuals were periodically updated, and the last date of updating is always mentioned in these manuals. Now I need parts for my 114, checked the manual, asked for the part, and the reply: these parts have been replaced/updated a number of times, each change means a new part no. Finally I just scanned the page of the part required and the guy will search at his end. These manuals are useful, it is just that you may not get a part of the shelf by quoting the part number in your outdated manual.

If the German historical literature is sent to me, I will translate within a few days.
Old 14th March 2009, 20:16   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Great find Vikash. Please keep them in your safe as this is is a prize find.
Will do buddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
vcash- If I remember right Telco was requisitioned at one time 1980 to work/service on the GOI Presidents 600, maybe thats why they had this manual.
That would be really special, if it were true. I will do some digging on this, however I am told that the gentleman at Tata Motors was trained to maintain the groups Mercs. This includes Mr. Modi's 219.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
600 hundred manual wow!! put me down for a copy of the scans dude. 600 is my dream car, hope i dont have to grow to a iddy amin size to own one one day.

Even the 219 manual is very rare, so are 219's they were far less produced than the 220S which are more common, and therefore more valuable IMHO than the 220S. We have a very nice 219 in our MB club.
Tell me about it - If I could trade up my 190, it would be for a 600! And I regret the fact that we could not pick up the 219 for the change it was offered. I can only hope that other opportunities come up in the future.
Old 14th March 2009, 20:19   #246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
If the German historical literature is sent to me, I will translate within a few days.
Achtung Herr Harit!!
Old 14th March 2009, 22:49   #247
BHPian

'Cars in the compound'

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVE HER(ALD)! View Post
Hi Suniljee,

Are any of the Mercs in this compound for sale? I intend to get one and restore it for myself.

Vikas
Hai Vikas,
sorry for the delayed reply.Of the cars in the compound the fintail pictured here is for sale, its been overcoated in the original colours.I can vouch its in excellent condition and excellent paint job.Also must be one of the most original African delivery cars in the country with period extras.The 'after pictures' can be found on this thread.
Cheers,
S.G.
Old 15th March 2009, 10:15   #248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcash View Post
Will do buddy!

Tell me about it - If I could trade up my 190, it would be for a 600! And I regret the fact that we could not pick up the 219 for the change it was offered. I can only hope that other opportunities come up in the future.
The Mercedes dealer in Abu Dhabi is a very old company called Emirates Motor Company. They were telling me about the time in the sixties when they were thinking of taking the dealership. Their person visited Daimler Benz for discussions on this and while leaving ordered 13 600 Pullmans, paying cash in advance of delivery.

The company delivered the cars and then sent a rep to check who had ordered these esxpensive cars.

The cars were distributed to members of the ruling family. They were fitted with baloon tyres to drive on the sands as there were no roads here at that time.

Out of the 13 cars two are known to survive as of today.
wasif is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2009, 13:06   #249
BHPian

Ponton W180

Mercedes Benz Ponton W180

I have posted this car in some other thread,but i think this car definitely needs to be in this thread,belongs to Travancore royal family.still its used by current Maharaja Uthradam Thirunal(not in rule ofcourse he he).He used to drive it alone to Banglore frequently during his young days.It has clocked more than 60000 miles which is shown in grille.

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-dscn1208.jpg

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-dscn1210.jpg

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-dscn1211.jpg
crazybiker46 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2009, 13:59   #250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybiker46 View Post
Mercedes Benz Ponton W180

I have posted this car in some other thread,but i think this car definitely needs to be in this thread,belongs to Travancore royal family.still its used by current Maharaja Uthradam Thirunal(not in rule ofcourse he he).He used to drive it alone to Banglore frequently during his young days.It has clocked more than 60000 miles which is shown in grille.
Nice Merc. BTW, for every 10000 miles driven, does he add a badge on the radiator grill? It does not look nice and later when more are added will block the airflow for cooling.
Old 16th March 2009, 14:04   #251
Senior - BHPian

Very nice mercedes and 60000 miles on a Merc is not too great adistance i must say
Old 16th March 2009, 21:10   #252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Nice Merc. BTW, for every 10000 miles driven, does he add a badge on the radiator grill? It does not look nice and later when more are added will block the airflow for cooling.
what i said was more than 60000 miles which is shown in grille,don't know how much it has clocked now.so i think no more logos will be put in grille.
Old 17th March 2009, 09:51   #253
Distinguished - BHPian

Im sure all of you are missing a zero, and mean a badge for every 100,000 miles. These sort of badges are very coveted in the classic VW circle.
Old 17th March 2009, 10:25   #254
Senior - BHPian

The badges were added on the grille for every 100,000 miles the car has covered,that is when the speedo has completed one full cycle and come back to zero.

This means that the car has completed 600,000 miles, six full cycles of the speedo.This would be close to 1,000,000 KM.

This is a lot of miles for a car of any make and going by the looks it has been well looked after.

Karl

Why are these badges coveted by the VW circle. They are obviously MB badges and not connected with the VW marque.
Old 17th March 2009, 10:27   #255
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Karl

Why are these badges coveted by the VW circle. They are obviously MB badges and not connected with the VW marque.
I am of course talking about 100,000 mile badges made for VWs, not Mercedes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks