Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2012, 20:31   #376
BHPian

Re: Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Ebay UK would have some from the Rover SD1 for sure. No chance of getting them here, in fact Rover had purpotedly bought back all the unsold stock of 2000 spares from the Standard Motors factory at Madras before the property was auctioned and torn down.
The assets of Standard Motors - land, building, spares, unfinished cars, etc; were sold in a Court auction & bought by Shriram Properties lock, stock & barrel. They in turn put the parts up for sale & possibly bought by Rimmer Bros. I happen to know the Advocate who represented Shriram at the auction. In fact, he picked up a 1948 Standard Saloon. Will try post a photograph of the car soon.
rdcm1985 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th July 2012, 21:06   #377
Senior - BHPian

Kudos to the owner on the build...a humble question how is this legal....as in RTO? If not endorsed on the books....driving it on the road is a clear moving violation...and insurance being void due to this could be a criminal offence...would be very interested to understand as I too have explored conversions etc....but gave up as i was told conversions out side registered engine capacity are illegal...It's unfortunate wish we could put resources into changing the modifying the law to make such swaps legal.

My classic has been stopped several times for insurance check these days....wonder what's the deal in AP?
Old 9th July 2012, 22:49   #378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcm1985 View Post
The assets of Standard Motors - land, building, spares, unfinished cars, etc; were sold in a Court auction & bought by Shriram Properties lock, stock & barrel. They in turn put the parts up for sale & possibly bought by Rimmer Bros. I happen to know the Advocate who represented Shriram at the auction. In fact, he picked up a 1948 Standard Saloon. Will try post a photograph of the car soon.
Thats good to hear- was this Shriram group of companies btw?

'looking forward to seeing the pics. I presume the car belonged to the original founder K Gopalakrishnan?
I remember reading there was a rare prototype named 'Stanmobile', which was basically a Standard Super 10 modified into a 2-door car, Standard (Madras)'s attempt to make a people's small car in the 70s before Sanjay Gandhi came up with the idea of a car he named 'Maruti'.
Unfortunately this stanmobile was found in the factory and the new owners promptly scrapped it! Also there was a vintage 'Bell' Standard that belonged to the founder as well, plus a couple of Triumph 2000s and Dolomite cars apart from a few Standard 20 vans, all of which were said to have been scrapped!!
Would the advocate be having any last photos taken of the factory/premises as well?
Old 30th August 2012, 13:09   #379
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyn View Post
The Standard 2000 was spotted again by a member of our fan-page.
Courtesy: Sarab Singh.
Rover Standard 2000 - YouTube
Great to see this beauty revived. The design inspiration for it was the Ferrari Daytona and it sure was a great place to start with...From the front it is almost a direct lift from the daytona. For its day it was a radically designed car and was car of the year in the UK/Europe if i am correct. I remember while in school we used to go nuts seeing them, those days this looked like it was from another planet compared to the antiques on the road (Fiats and ambassadors). There were many in Bangalore those days not a single one to be seen now. Sad indeed..
Old 22nd September 2012, 14:21   #380
BHPian

Hi,

I found this picture in the family albums, not sure which car it is (Personally i think it looks like a hearse ) . Experts please help.

thank you,

Srinand.
Attached Thumbnails
Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India-unknown1_resized.jpg  

srinand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2012, 15:06   #381
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinand View Post
Hi, I found this picture in the family albums, ......... Srinand.
No, not a hearse, a woody maybe 7 to 9 seater. These were commonly built on Chevy, Ford and Chrysler (Dodge, DeSoto, Plymouyh) chassis, but also available with International, Packard.
The wheelcaps look familiar, could this have been a Packard? Or a Chevy? Need to get my glasses uprated.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2012, 16:48   #382
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinand
Hi,

I found this picture in the family albums, not sure which car it is (Personally i think it looks like a hearse ) . Experts please help.

thank you,

Srinand.
Looks more like a Plymouth woody

Experts please or do you have a his res image ?

Cheers
Old 22nd September 2012, 20:45   #383
Senior - BHPian

Very Plymouth looking, Chrysler perhaps? Pontiac?
Old 23rd September 2012, 20:31   #384
BHPian

While coming back home from the Pune Festival Rally today, went to check out a Jeep i had seen long back. Not able to Pin Point on the Model though Only Identification it had were the "N" badges all over, it seems like a nissan

Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India-copy-dscn0052.jpg

Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India-copy-dscn0053.jpg

It sure has some similarities with a Nissan Wagon, Maybe modified in the front and looks ugly.

Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India-1317169747539084052.jpg

Last edited by Shreeram : 23rd September 2012 at 20:40.
Shreeram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2012, 21:05   #385
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreeram
While coming back home from the Pune Festival Rally today, went to check out a Jeep i had seen long back. Not able to Pin Point on the Model though Only Identification it had were the "N" badges all over, it seems like a nissan

It sure has some similarities with a Nissan Wagon, Maybe modified in the front and looks ugly.
This is near Godrej natures basket near the road that leads to Blue Diamond or Taj now

Cheers
Old 23rd September 2012, 21:19   #386
BHPian

yes Kasli sir, i had promised karl pics of these long back as he wanted to see what car was lying just near his house. But today after many years did i finally got time to go and actually click it.
Old 23rd September 2012, 22:22   #387
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreeram View Post
While coming back home from the Pune Festival Rally today, went to check out a Jeep i had seen long back.
This is a Mahindra jeep, with a locally built body. N must be for Natasha. Its a unique vehicle in its own right, but I guess it still needs its time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
This is near Godrej natures basket near the road that leads to Blue Diamond or Taj now
It is Boat Club road. The same building housed a junk Riley RMA for a while.
karlosdeville is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2012, 23:03   #388
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreeram View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
This is a Mahindra jeep, with a locally built body. N must be for Natasha. Its a unique vehicle in its own right, but I guess it still needs its time.

It is Boat Club road. The same building housed a junk Riley RMA for a while.
Believe the Toyota Kijang (our Qualis) designer was influenced with this original but "locally built design" on a Mahindra chassis.
Truly, after the departure of the Willys Station Wagon and before the Armada came along, so many such local designs came along during the 1960's, 70's and 80's for people who loved offroading or use of rural roads in greater comfort, but not in the no- nonsense, soft top jeeps (MUV's).
The "desi SUV" idea was germinating in the minds of buyers and designers in our country.
Indeed Mahindra had launched this one in 1978 with the Hurricane engine but not many were sold:

Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India-stn-wagon.jpg

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 23rd September 2012 at 23:06.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2012, 07:10   #389
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
In the late 80s and early 90s there used to be a flurry of jeeps made by Nicholas Motor Industries in Mumbai. My Dad's company factory in Andheri had a few cargo-carrying Mahindra Jeep models with body built by Nicholas. In all probability that "N" stands for Nicholas Motor Industries.
predatorwheelz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2012, 04:33   #390
BHPian

Re: Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars

This tourer is with a veteran collector in Hyderabad, which one is it?
Attached Thumbnails
Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India-000.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks