Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2009, 13:02   #31
BHPian

putting that TATA steering wheel is the limit!
Old 8th January 2009, 13:57   #32

If the owner wants to part with those Hellas, You know who to contact!! The car on the other hand...Sad!!
Old 8th January 2009, 23:01   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

manikjeet after viewing the other cars in the thread, the one you posted is different and has been blasphemously Tataised. In the 1970's some people fitted the Perkins P4 diesel engine to their Buick Supers. The Tata engine is a contemporary idea. Our consolation should be that the car is saved from scrapping and is still on the road.
Here's some trivia from Shammi Kapoor's about his first car, a second hand Buick Super that belonged to actress Nigar Sultana and was displayed with a For Sale tag at Car Mart, Hughes Road,owned by Mr Chunnawala. The actor was dissuaded from buying a second hand car by producer A.R. Kardar, who owned many cars including a Cadillac. Shammi Kapoor negotiated for this car aided by his friend and producer Aspi Irani. A price of Rs 16,500 was agreed upon.The down payment of Rs 5000 was made by Aspi Irani, while for the next two years Shammi Kapoor paid Rs 650 a month.The Buick became the hero's first car on 12/6/52. Though he bought many more cars including a DeSoto, Chevrolet Belair and Impala, Chevy Intercontinental convertible, Chevrolet Malibu, Sunbeam Alpine, a Triumph,many Indian Fiats and some jeeps for shikar and a Mercedes E 220 now, the car most dear to him till this day is BMU 3009 the Buick Super.
Buick Eight-buick.jpg
Old 24th April 2009, 19:31   #34
Senior - BHPian

Attached is a Buick 1937 McLaughlin tourer. She came from Kolkotta to Mumbai, changed 2 owners, went to Chennai and now Jaipur. They are restoring her there. Engine is a straight 8.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Buick Eight-mclaugh-1.jpg  

Old 9th June 2009, 13:03   #35
BHPian

And a few more:

Buick Eight-dsc02701.jpg

Buick Eight-dsc02709.jpg

Last edited by Technocrat : 9th June 2009 at 15:06. Reason: Splitting the post across 2 threads
Old 9th June 2009, 21:55   #36
BHPian

Whoa! the pics remind me of Stephen King's From a Buick 8. That boot looks SO scary!
Old 15th June 2009, 13:39   #37
BHPian

This Car is in a pretty neat condition. where is this car and could u put in a few more pictures of the interiors, what engine does it have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_headrock View Post
Old 22nd August 2009, 18:05   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

This 1949 Buick was in a Pune collection, sharing space with many other superb Buicks. I think she came from the family that had the Buick dealership, and was in immaculate original condition.

Buick Eight-scan0006.jpg

Then she was sold to Titus, where she was painted in white with a gold roof, and the older style numberplate replaced with a tacky sticker affair.
Old 23rd August 2009, 14:51   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

This 47 sedan has been in Pune for ages. I last saw it in the 1993 rally. The car still stands stoically in the driveway at its residence, though I doubt it has been in use for a while.

Buick Eight-scan0010.jpg
Old 6th October 2009, 21:43   #40
Senior - BHPian

This Buick Eight has appeared on this thread a while back. Saw her today, looking her usual imposing self.. The owner seems to have now fitted some sort of a hunting light / flash light. This light has a lever inside to control / rotate it. Most interesting contraption, looks very period and cool .
Attached Thumbnails
Buick Eight-dsc00351.jpg  

Buick Eight-dsc00353.jpg  

Buick Eight-dsc00352.jpg  

Buick Eight-dsc00354.jpg  

Buick Eight-dsc00355.jpg  

Old 6th October 2009, 21:51   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
This Buick Eight has appeared on this thread a while back. Saw her today, looking her usual imposing self.. The owner seems to have now fitted some sort of a hunting light / flash light. This light has a lever inside to control / rotate it. Most interesting contraption, looks very period and cool .
What a coincidence I saw the car today too parked we all know where! And i thought to myself and said wow! here is one guy who drives his cars rain or sunshine, while the rest of us (atleast me) grease up our cars and cozy them up in the garage for the monsoon. really commendable.
Old 7th October 2009, 09:46   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
The man is a hero to me, to use these cars so regularly and yet have them always gleaming.

The spotlight is what is commonly referred to as a shikaar light, controlled from the inside. This style (probably American) was amongst the most popular (compared to the much earlier Grebel or Lucas varieties seen on older cars). Many smaller cars like Fiats and Ambys had them too, back in the day. I badly want one but can't seem to find one.

If I'm not mistaken the American police till today use the exact same design on their patrol cars.
Old 7th October 2009, 11:09   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
The man is a hero to me, to use these cars so regularly and yet have them always gleaming.

The spotlight is what is commonly referred to as a shikaar light, controlled from the inside. This style (probably American) was amongst the most popular (compared to the much earlier Grebel or Lucas varieties seen on older cars). Many smaller cars like Fiats and Ambys had them too, back in the day. I badly want one but can't seem to find one.

If I'm not mistaken the American police till today use the exact same design on their patrol cars.
Yes Karl those kind of adjustable / swivel lamps are still OE on the Ford Police Interceptor cars.

They should be a breeze to find anywhere in the US.
Old 7th October 2009, 21:07   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Yes Karl those kind of adjustable / swivel lamps are still OE on the Ford Police Interceptor cars.

They should be a breeze to find anywhere in the US.
I haven't seen any of these "spot lights" on Canadian police cars nor do I recall seeing them in any of my recent trips into the U.S. mostly to the Boston & New York areas. They were more of a 50 & 60's item.

I do recall seeing a few at some of the Car meets that I have attended in Canada and the U.S., the one in Columbus Ohio had about 1,500 cars attending

I have noticed that they are more in "Vogue" in India than here, one on the drivers side is ok but some of the collectors like to "guild the lily" and put two on, reminds me of a moose!
Attached Thumbnails
Buick Eight-img_4297.jpg  

Old 8th October 2009, 10:27   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by john a milne View Post
I haven't seen any of these "spot lights" on Canadian police cars nor do I recall seeing them in any of my recent trips into the U.S. mostly to the Boston & New York areas. They were more of a 50 & 60's item.

I do recall seeing a few at some of the Car meets that I have attended in Canada and the U.S., the one in Columbus Ohio had about 1,500 cars attending

I have noticed that they are more in "Vogue" in India than here, one on the drivers side is ok but some of the collectors like to "guild the lily" and put two on, reminds me of a moose!

Well John if you happen to visit LA you will still see them on the LAPD's Interseptors.

Most Viewed