Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2011, 16:29   #1351
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Classic Rolls Royces in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
Salmons or Salamanca? Have never heard of the former.
Salmons and Sons, the Tickford Coachbuilders, of Newport Pagnell in Buckinghamshire.

Salmons and Sons, the Tickford Coachbuilders
Old 22nd February 2011, 03:24   #1352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I believe this car is a 1936 25/30hp, chassis no. #GXM 5, Salmons Sedanca drop head coupe. The first owner was Sir Alexander Korda, who was married for 6 years to Merle Auberon, the Anglo Indian film star, the subject of the film "Queenie".
I think you're absolutely right. The car is pictured in the book "Those Elegant Rolls-Royce" by Lawrence Dalton.
Old 23rd February 2011, 13:08   #1353

Any Indications on this car??

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ml#post2211986
Old 23rd February 2011, 23:43   #1354
BHPian

This was posted earlier ..can't remember though
It was offered for sale, any idea where and who has it now ?
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-scan0003.jpg  

Classic Rolls Royces in India-scan0002.jpg  

Old 24th February 2011, 00:16   #1355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishpv View Post

This is a Calcutta car and the pic has been taken in the Fort William rally grounds.
Old 26th February 2011, 03:02   #1356
BHPian

On 2 August 2008, in post 583, I gave a history and a photo of RR Phantom III chassis 3BT75. I said that this car was delivered to the Maharaja of Udaipur. I now realise that this is wrong, after discussion with Gautam Sen, who talked to owner Pranlal Bhogilal about the car. In 1975 Bhogilal bought the car from the estate of HRH the Maharaja Natwar Singhi Chauhan Fateh Saheb of Chhota Udepur (16 November 1906 to 15 October 1946). In addition, the Windovers limousine body on the chassis had originally been fitted to a 1930 Daimler 30/40 Double Six (V12), the drawing of which is on page 460 of Smith's 2-volume work on Daimler.
Steve Stuckey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2011, 00:50   #1357
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishpv View Post
This is a very nice 25/30 which belongs to another Kanoria (HUF) family. The car is now the deepest possible shade of green (looks stunning) has a buttery smooth engine note, and supposed first owner was the 1st President of Independent India, Dr. Rajendra Prasad.
Old 27th February 2011, 22:07   #1358
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I believe this car is a 1936 25/30hp, chassis no. #GXM 5, Salmons Sedanca drop head coupe. The first owner was Sir Alexander Korda, who was married for 6 years to Merle Auberon, the Anglo Indian film star, the subject of the film "Queenie".
Hi Karlos
Not attempting to second guess you at all regarding the identity of GXM5! The car looks absolutely identical to the picture of GXM5 in the book "Those Elegant Rolls Royce" . The only difference I see is that the semaphore indicators behind the doors are absent in the book.

My book is the 1973 Edition and the caption for the picture says "Registration Number DLR-552, Present Owner L.E.Dalton" - the author of the book.

Does this mean the car was imported / re-imported to India post-1973 ? Cheers!
travancore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2011, 11:38   #1359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Hi Karlos Not attempting to second guess you at all regarding the identity of GXM5!.................... Does this mean the car was imported / re-imported to India post-1973 ? Cheers!
Yes, the car came to India fairly recently, and I belive a certain tbhpian worked on the mechanicals. So, a fresh face in India

Cheers harit
Old 28th February 2011, 12:04   #1360
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Yes, the car came to India fairly recently, and I belive a certain tbhpian worked on the mechanicals. So, a fresh face in India

Cheers harit
Will this result in more cars lost previously coming back to India? This is an exciting prospect and I do hope the Govt. appreciates the desire of enthusiasts to bring back our history previously taken away from us.

Cheers
Old 28th February 2011, 12:53   #1361
BHPian

After hearing the Finance Ministers Budget proposal, Im assuming that now there will be many more, he has proposed antiquities allowed to be imported (exempt of custom duties) by individual/private galleries as long as they are displayed /open for public viewing.

The fine print will have to be read.

Quote:

Cheers harit
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Will this result in more cars lost previously coming back to India? This is an exciting prospect and I do hope the Govt. appreciates the desire of enthusiasts to bring back our history previously taken away from us.

Cheers
Old 28th February 2011, 12:56   #1362
BHPian

Sorry for the late reply but I no longer get notice of this forum's updates. The Rolls-Royce in thread #1324 is indeed a 25/30HP with Salmons drophead sedanca coupe (chassis GXM5). The semaphores had been blanked off when Laurie Dalton restored it. When K. Jaiswal decided to have it resprayed he must have found the slots under the paintwork so it was easy to return it to its original specs (I'll have to do it to my own 25/30HP too!). He also changed the winglamps.
park-ward is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2011, 15:17   #1363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingArt View Post
After hearing the Finance Ministers Budget proposal, Im assuming that now there will be many more, he has proposed antiquities allowed to be imported (exempt of custom duties) by individual/private galleries as long as they are displayed /open for public viewing. The fine print will have to be read.
This is a good beginning, please do inform us the fine print. Soon even high end cars may become more accessible. But do not expect prices to crash, the scheme has to be seen and worked out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by park-ward View Post
Sorry for the late reply but I no longer get notice of this forum's updates. The Rolls-Royce in thread #1324 is indeed a 25/30HP with Salmons drophead sedanca coupe (chassis GXM5). The semaphores had been blanked off when Laurie Dalton restored it. When K. Jaiswal decided to have it resprayed he must have found the slots under the paintwork so it was easy to return it to its original specs (I'll have to do it to my own 25/30HP too!). He also changed the winglamps.
This Rolls is NOT an India car, so it has NOT come back. That is why "Fresh Face"

Cheers harit
Old 28th February 2011, 15:46   #1364
BHPian

Quote:
This Rolls is NOT an India car, so it has NOT come back. That is why "Fresh Face"

Cheers harit
Hello Harit,
GXM5 has been registered with the RREC for several years in the name of Karamjit Jaiswal & with a New Delhi address. Is it a temporary import with the unusual UK letters preceding the actual Indian looking number ? In this case it would be a smart way of getting around the legislation !
Old 28th February 2011, 17:14   #1365
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

The extract from the Budget is as below.

"Other Proposals

Works of art and antiquities are exempt from customs duties when imported for exhibition in a public museum or national institution. In recent years, many organisations have joined the cause of promoting and popularising both traditional and contemporary art. Some of them have been active in locating heritage works of Indian art and antiquities in foreign countries and bringing them back home. To encourage such initiatives, I propose to expand the scope of this exemption for works of art and antiquities to also apply to imports for exhibition or display, in private art galleries or similar premises that are open to the general public. Department of Culture will notify details of the scheme"

Looks like Museums would be allowed to import antiquities with an Indian connection.

Cheers

Last edited by KPS : 28th February 2011 at 17:18.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks