Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2009, 09:29   #976
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Hi DKG.

Can we ask who it is with in Hyd and also the other car you mentioned.

Wasif
I don't know the name of the owner or where he lives, had seen the car at a workshop, reasonably clean car.

The other 20hp is with a collector, not sure if he'd want his name advertised.
Old 20th April 2009, 10:16   #977
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
I don't know the name of the owner or where he lives, had seen the car at a workshop, reasonably clean car.

The other 20hp is with a collector, not sure if he'd want his name advertised.
It must be the Pharma people I take it. Also I was always curious about the RR with the khairtabad pump guys. Never got to see it, any idea what it is ?

Also in those days there was only one RR in Hyd, the Nizams, followed by the Shiv Charan car. Ranjit Malik had a couple but hey can't be clasified as Hyderabad, more likeley as transients.

Are there any Bentleys arounf now and did Captain P add any RRs to his collection ?

Wasif
Old 20th April 2009, 12:49   #978
Senior - BHPian

About Rolls's in Hyderabad, I know about two later Silver Ghosts, then this 20HP.
Another Rolls which went to Hyderabad many years ago was the yellow Limo with the damaged engine, dark windows which came form a collection in Gujrat to a dealer in Mumbai, then sold to Hyderabad after a misadventure to try and send out.
But way back just before 1990, a smaller Rolls went from Mumbai to Hyderabad. This car was found in Thane, half restoration was done in Mumbai when she was sold on. It was a 4 door sedan with a sloping back. Mechanicals and woodwork were not done.

Cheers harit
Old 20th April 2009, 12:50   #979
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Also I was always curious about the RR with the khairtabad pump guys. Never got to see it, any idea what it is ?
I'm told its a Ghost Saloon. I haven't seen the car either.

Quote:
Are there any Bentleys around now and did Captain P add any RRs to his collection ?
There's a Mark VI with a collector and the Capt I heard has a junked Bentley, no idea what it is.
Old 29th April 2009, 22:10   #980
BHPian

Nanpara

Here is a question for the historians: who was the Raja of Nanpara in 1927 ?
Muhammed Sadiq (or Siddiq) Khan (b.1870- ??)
or Raja Syed Mohammad Sa'adat Ali Khan (1904-1975)
There is conflicting info on the death date of the first one: 1906, 1911, 1930?
Old 30th April 2009, 13:36   #981
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by park-ward View Post
who was the Raja of Nanpara in 1927 ?
As per the website NANPARA
(which I find very useful when it comes to erstwhile Indian ruling family histories)

the ruler in 1927 was Raja Syed MOHAMMAD SA'ADAT ALI KHAN, born 1904. He would have ascended the throne in 1911 and died in 1975.

His father was Raja MOHAMMED SIDDIQ KHAN born 8th September 1869, married 15th June 1890. He ascended the throne in 1902 and died 1911

Post Saadat Ali Khan's death in 1975 the title passes onto Raja Syed SHARIQ ALI

As you may well know succession usually took place on the death of the ruler.

Last edited by DKG : 30th April 2009 at 13:44.
Old 7th May 2009, 03:46   #982

Does anyone have photographs -or the chassis numbers - of the following cars?

The 1921 Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost at the Ranjit Vilas palace in Wankaner

The ex-Maharajah of Varanasi's Rolls-Royce cars (donated to the Hindu University of Varanasi) a 1921 Silver Ghost and a 1927 20 hp(?)

Cheers
Old 7th May 2009, 19:17   #983
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceylon View Post
Does anyone have photographs -or the chassis numbers - of the following cars?

The 1921 Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost at the Ranjit Vilas palace in Wankaner

The ex-Maharajah of Varanasi's Rolls-Royce cars (donated to the Hindu University of Varanasi) a 1921 Silver Ghost and a 1927 20 hp(?)

Cheers
Attached is a picture of the Benares Hindu University (BHU) Silver Ghost. Picture is courtesy of "zespook" on EyeFetch.com

Classic Rolls Royces in India-bhu-rr.jpg

Believe there is a picture of both BHU cars are in the "Automobiles of the Maharajas" book.

I have been trying to get more pictures / chassis numbers from BHU - no luck so far. Can any fellow BHPians from Varanasi / BHU help ? Cheers
travancore is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2009, 22:15   #984

Many thanks Travancore.
Old 14th May 2009, 07:27   #985
BHPian

Rolls Royce Chassis No 71JG

Does anyone have any information about a Rolls Royce (most probably a Silver Ghost), originally of Kapurthala, bearing the chassis no 71JG? It was from either 1920 or 1921.
Thanks,
Sasi Menon, Jaipur.
Old 29th May 2009, 00:01   #986

savigear is my family

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFC View Post
I have now been advised that Svigear is the company that did the final wiring up of the electrical when the coachbuilders were finished. Maybe the mystery is solved?
Regards,
Brian
hi my name is dave savigear and the savigear you are referring to is my dad who worked for rolls royce with his brother any further info requested please contact me
davesavigear is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2009, 10:14   #987
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesavigear View Post
hi my name is dave savigear and the savigear you are referring to is my dad who worked for rolls royce with his brother any further info requested please contact me
Welcome aboard Dave, glad to have you with us.

Any interesting anecdotes, photos, literature that you can share with us on some Indian Rolls?
Old 6th June 2009, 19:13   #988

Hi
I'm trying to get information on a 1920 Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost chassis no 97AE which according to the R-R records I have, was sold to the Maharajah of Darbhanga in January 1925 from the original owner, a Mr Pratt. At that time it had a limousine body but I understand that this was removed and a nice sporty tourer body was fitted and that this was then also removed some time later and replaced by a rather nasty, badly fitting open limousine body taken from a Daimler.

I have no other history of the car until it turned up in France in the early 1980's where it remained until very recently. I acquired it in poor condition earlier this year.

I am seeking pictures of the sporting touring body or any other information regarding its history.
regards
Grahamtyson
Grahamtyson is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2009, 10:09   #989
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahamtyson View Post
Hi
I'm trying to get information on a 1920 Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost chassis no 97AE which according to the R-R records I have, was sold to the Maharajah of Darbhanga in January 1925 from the original owner, a Mr Pratt.
Hi Mr. G.

It nice to know that this car is still extant. I am sure one of our learned members will definitely be able to help you with the details you requested.

Would it be possible for you to post pictures of the car as it is now ? Also is it posslible for you to elaborate on its history, how it got to France etc.

Cheers.

Wasif
Old 17th June 2009, 20:00   #990
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
I've tried on several occasions to get Manvendra bhai to contribute too but understandably he is working on his next book and it makes sense to not "print" his extensive knowledge and research here. But he as always graciously offers to clear up any puzzles should his expertise be required.
When is the next book due for release and what is the topic?

Most Viewed