Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2014, 18:50   #2086
BHPian

re: Classic Rolls Royces in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by F Abbasi View Post
PHANTOMS
at the time there were also two Bentleys in the garage). A new Rolls and a Daimler were on order to be delivered in 1966 and had to be cancelled when Nawab Sahib passed away.

There was a Daimler limousine with a complete perspex transparent top, an imposing sight, in brief use of the Nawab Sahib. It was once sent to fetch the deposed Pakistani President Iskandar Mirza, and his wife from their London home. On their way they were stuck in traffic in London and a passerby young couple remarked " what are you growing in there, Guvnor, tomatoes?" . This was related to HH by the guests on arrival at the Surrey estate which he was bemused to hear and reportedly he did not use that car personally again. Shortly afterwards, or perhaps after his death, this car was presented to or purchased by the Pakistan Embassy and after some years it found its way to Pakistan and was disposed off , in Karachi. It is still in Karachi with the Junejo family if I recall correctly, but I have not seen it. More details will be given in my book.
Perhaps Falahuddin Sahib alludes to the same car?
What was the other RR on order as I thought the P-V was the final car ordered by HH. Also I know of the Barker bodied Bentley B32EF. Which was the other Bentley in the garages at UK?
I hope Sahibzada Falahuddin can find pics of the rare V-16 and the Mercedes SSK soon. Thanks for a trip down memory lane.
Amer

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 11th January 2015 at 07:29.
shyml is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th November 2014, 20:12   #2087
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Which was the other Bentley in the garages at UK?
Question was originally posted by Shyml in post 2086 below

The other Bentley was a Mk VI - Chassis B94KM, an H.J.Mulliner Limousine.

I have also read of a Bahawalpur S Series Bentley by Hooper, but cannot confirm chassis number.

Quote:
PHANTOMS
When Nawab Sadiq Mohammad Khan Abbasi V of Bahawalpur passed away, in 1966, there were four Phantom Rolls Royce cars in his garage.
Bahawalpur seems to have been one of only three or four Princely States (besides Baroda, Dharbanga and Jaipur), to have had an unbroken series of Royces - SG, PI, PII, PIII and beyond. Besides of course, the smaller R-R / Bentley cars.

I am not aware of anyone else!

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 11th January 2015 at 07:31. Reason: Removed quote tag
travancore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2014, 00:38   #2088
BHPian

The point made by the ever so knowledgeable Travencore is well taken. However a mystery in my mind is why HH Bahawalpur missed out on the RR Phantom IV. These were exclusive enough to have attracted him. If another RR was on order it could be another P-V as the P-VI was not out when he sadly died. He was a great man and very highly regarded by his people and Pakistan.

Can you pl post pics of the Bahawalpur Bentley Mk VI.
Old 17th November 2014, 02:01   #2089
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyml View Post
The point made by the ever so knowledgeable Travencore is well taken. However a mystery in my mind is why HH Bahawalpur missed out on the RR Phantom IV. These were exclusive enough to have attracted him. If another RR was on order it could be another P-V as the P-VI was not out when he sadly died. He was a great man and very highly regarded by his people and Pakistan.

Can you pl post pics of the Bahawalpur Bentley Mk VI.
Seventeen Phantom IV's made were exclusively offered to "Royalty" and "Heads of State" - whatever that definition according to R-R was!

R-R must have considered themselves royalty enough - to use one as a pickup hack

Some of the middle eastern countries had one (or more)....e.g. Kuwait, Iran, Iraq; believe Gen. Franco and The Aga Khan had them too. So did Dukes & Duchesses in England.

Bahawalpur and some of the other Indian states were probably more loyal R-R customers over the years than many of them!

The code name for the P IV project however was "NABHA" !!!

Will look for a picture of B94KM.

Last edited by travancore : 17th November 2014 at 02:16.
travancore is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2014, 16:19   #2090
BHPian

Although strictly not a Classic Rolls-Royce in India, this 1938 Rolls-Royce Wraith (#WRB30) Hooper drophead coupé, was bought second hand in 1945 by the Maharaja of Baroda for use at his British residence.
By 1974 it is known to have been in the US, but so far I couldn't trace it after that.
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-wrb30hooper1.jpg  

Boybentley is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th December 2014, 16:10   #2091
BHPian

The latest RREC bulletin features GYK 85, a 20hp Barker cabriolet, first owner a lady in India. Do we have any information on her and the car whilst in India?

The same issue has 4 armoured RR cars parked in Calcutta. Any idea where they went?
Old 5th December 2014, 17:47   #2092
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
The latest RREC bulletin features GYK 85, a 20hp Barker cabriolet, first owner a lady in India. Do we have any information on her and the car whilst in India?

The same issue has 4 armoured RR cars parked in Calcutta. Any idea where they went?
According to post no 68, Rolls royce thread the owner was :

Mrs. G. Gubbay
1925 GYK 85 Eng. No. G1898 Barker Cabriolet

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-wa...tml#post772684

More details from car and classic
"Car was ordered by Mrs. Gala Gubbay of Calcutta" , the car was for sale in June 2014, here is a picture from carandclassic
Classic Rolls Royces in India-a19ff12647dda5e77a945f858832d95e.jpg

http://www.newsnow.co.uk/classifieds...yce-india.html

Here is a picture of possible the same car
Classic Rolls Royces in India-barker20cabriolet3_small.jpg

a 1925-6 20hp Barker cabriolet of a fairly upright design, possibly chassis GYK85 . Note that the rear side windows are in two parts to allow them to wind down fully in the limited space above the rear mudguard.

Source
http://www.rrec.org.uk/Cars/Coachwor...and_Others.php

cheers
Kartik

Last edited by KartikeyaL : 5th December 2014 at 18:05.
KartikeyaL is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th December 2014, 14:29   #2093
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KartikeyaL View Post
According to post no 68, Rolls royce thread the owner was :
Mrs. G. Gubbay
1925 GYK 85 Eng. No. G1898 Barker Cabriolet
I did some more research on Mrs. Gala David Gubbay and according to the Geni website she was born in 1870 and died in 1954.

Further research shows that she was a Jewish lady and I have found a picture of her from 1912.
Classic Rolls Royces in India-gala-gubbay.jpg
Title: A group from Calcutta at Muzzafarpur
Subject :Photographs depicting Jewish clothing from the 19th and early 20th century
Description :A group from Calcutta at Muzzafarpur. Standing (L to R) David Gubbay, Saul David (formerly Linyado), Aaron Gubbay. Seated (L to R) Hannah Linyado, Sally Solomon, Gala Gubbay, Flora Judah, Isaac Moosa Solomon. On the ground (L to R) Immamuddin (a muslim friend), Ronald Judah, David Linyado.
Date : c. 1912

source : http://www.jewishcalcutta.in/items/show/9
KartikeyaL is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th December 2014, 15:55   #2094
BHPian

The car is still alive and well and seen here being used on a wedding day in the south of England in 2011 (Flickr photo by Andrew Webb).
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-gyk85barker3.jpg  

Boybentley is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th December 2014, 15:35   #2095
BHPian

Phantom III (#3DL26) Thrupp & Maberly Cabriolet owned by the Raja of Bilkha between 1946 and 1954.
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-3dl26tmbilkha1.jpg  

Boybentley is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th January 2015, 09:45   #2096
Distinguished - BHPian

This advertisement appears in the latest Classic & Sports Car issue. I initially assumed it was the Hooper Phantom I #57EF, ex Pithapuram, though on closer inspection it appears to be the Windovers Phantom I, #47YC, first owner S K Choudhry (?).

Classic Rolls Royces in India-img_2057.jpg

Do we have any image of the car when she was in India?
karlosdeville is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th January 2015, 16:50   #2097
BHPian

According to the chassis card the first owner was S.K. Chowdhury who bought it in februari 1928. The car was most likely used as a demonstrator before that..
Here's a couple of pics from it's US time: http://autocollections.com/index.cfm...tails&tab=sold
Boybentley is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2015, 17:31   #2098
BHPian

According to the chassis card the first owner was S.K. Chowdhury who bought it in februari 1928. The car was most likely used as a demonstrator before that..
Here's a couple of pics from it's US time: http://autocollections.com/index.cfm...tails&tab=sold
I have the feeling the car was "Maharaja-nized" (if that is a word) later in life with the polished bonnet, wheel discs, spotlamp, Grebels and "Malachite" dash, none of which are mentioned on the chassiscard.
The original colourscheme was identical to #132LC

Classic Rolls Royces in India-imageuploadedbyteambhp1420891260.208221.jpg
Boybentley is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th January 2015, 22:26   #2099
Distinguished - BHPian

A beautifully made 1/43 scale model of the ex-Dharbanga 25/30 (GRO48) is available:

Classic Rolls Royces in India-dharbanga-rr-2530-gro48-brg1-scale-model-rear-3q-r-top.jpg

http://www.carmodel.com/matrix-scale...nga-1937/75468
travancore is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th January 2015, 02:55   #2100
Distinguished - BHPian

Dr. Rajendra Prasad at the inauguration of the Asian Games 1951

Classic Rolls Royces in India-rajendra-prasad-rr-asian-games-1951.jpg
travancore is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks