Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2014, 15:17   #856
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread

Once upon a time-

A 1210D used to slog it on the streets of Poona. She slogged for decades. Worked unfailingly.

Sadly, she rots in an abandoned plot in a posh suburb. Alone.

Ladies & gentlemen, here's MHD 7793, a 'Sixties Tata 1210D.
Attached Thumbnails
The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-wp_20141129_008.jpg  

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-wp_20141129_005.jpg  

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-wp_20141129_001.jpg  

Last edited by FINTAIL : 29th November 2014 at 15:19.
FINTAIL is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th November 2014, 21:58   #857
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
Ladies & gentlemen, here's MHD 7793, a 'Sixties Tata 1210D.
I'm afraid that's not correct.

1210 D model was introduced in 1970-71. Its predecessor model was called 1210 (without the 'D').

Also, yellow paint scheme on the front end (that came from Tata factory) was introduced only in mid 1970s, just before the introduction of 1210S. Prior to that, the front end used to be grey.
directinjection is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2014, 00:14   #858
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
Also, yellow paint scheme on the front end (that came from Tata factory) was introduced only in mid 1970s, just before the introduction of 1210S. Prior to that, the front end used to be grey.
If I remember right, that trademark shade of yellow was called "Tata Mimosa Yellow" - since I remember painting kitchen cabinets as a kid with a can of paint with the same name and colour.
karlosdeville is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2014, 10:50   #859
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
If I remember right, that trademark shade of yellow was called "Tata Mimosa Yellow" - since I remember painting kitchen cabinets as a kid with a can of paint with the same name and colour.
Karl,

Yes indeed. It was called that

Believe it or not Kitchen Cabinets in my house in Trivadrum is still having this colour

Actually we used the same 'automotive' paint over smoothened/snaded down mettal putty over marine plywood.

Best Regards & Thanks

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th November 2014, 10:50   #860
Senior - BHPian

I guess that's a 1971-72 model 1210D.

We had one long back, MWT 3072. Someone should rescue that truck. I wish I could :(
Old 30th November 2014, 12:22   #861
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx45 View Post
I guess that's a 1971-72 model 1210D.

We had one long back, MWT 3072. Someone should rescue that truck. I wish I could :(
That would be a 1210 from the 'Eighties, no?

MWQ 8903 (Note the - Q) was a 1981/82 Tata 1210 chassis, in Poona, which was finally scrapped in 2014.
Old 30th November 2014, 13:11   #862
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
That would be a 1210 from the 'Eighties, no?

MWQ 8903 (Note the - Q) was a 1981/82 Tata 1210 chassis, in Poona, which was finally scrapped in 2014.
The truck in the picture is a long bonnet 1210D whose production ceased in 1975, to be replaced by short bonnet 1210S. So it can't be from the eighties.

Vehicles often get re-registered and hence one can't rely on registration number to guess the age.
directinjection is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2014, 14:43   #863
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
The truck in the picture is a long bonnet 1210D whose production ceased in 1975, to be replaced by short bonnet 1210S. So it can't be from the eighties.

Vehicles often get re-registered and hence one can't rely on registration number to guess the age.
The truck I was referring to, was MWT 3072 and not MHD 7793. MHD is any case is a Sixties/early Seventies series in MH.

I know my registration numbers well enough, thank you very much.
FINTAIL is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2014, 08:21   #864
Senior - BHPian

a 1968 Tata Benz bus that was a Government vehicle at Bhopal . the rate of nine lacs is surely unrealistic and ambitious. so many of these are on duty as sand lorries and water tankers elsewhere.

nice pic though.

http://bhopal.olx.in/mercdies-danda-show-iid-762232599
Old 14th December 2014, 11:35   #865
Senior - BHPian

Has any one recently seen the Vintage Dennis Fire engine BYL 7575 which was preserved at the Erandwane fire museum. It used to lead the annual fire brigade day celebration till about 4-5 years ago.
Rahul Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2014, 18:34   #866
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
Has any one recently seen the Vintage Dennis Fire engine BYL 7575 which was preserved at the Erandwane fire museum. It used to lead the annual fire brigade day celebration till about 4-5 years ago.
This one-?

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-byl-7575.jpg

This Dennis is superb, still retaining its original RR engine.

Not seen in recent times, owing to lack of 'proper' rallies, perchance.

Last edited by FINTAIL : 14th December 2014 at 18:36.
FINTAIL is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2015, 05:57   #867
Distinguished - BHPian

Delhi, 1958.

courtesy: GoI

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-delhi-nursing-bus-1958.jpg
travancore is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st January 2015, 20:20   #868
Distinguished - BHPian

Willingdon Air Station, Delhi

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-delhi-willingdon-air-station2.jpg
travancore is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th February 2015, 19:21   #869
Distinguished - BHPian

The Lambretta three wheelers are still seen in New Delhi - clicked about two days ago !

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-2015-feb-050.jpg

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-2015-feb-096.jpg
anjan_c2007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2015, 12:55   #870
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
My young FB friend Mr Abhishek Kushte has very newly bought a second hand truck. Its a 1962 Bedford.
Pardon the big post. I would appreciate if this one is read through- slowly.

Attaching a few pics of the 1961 Bedford in question.

Ladies and Gentlemen- BYX 5895.

Quote:
It was bought by first owner way back in 1961, its Bedford J4 powered with Perkins P6 engine & Registered in 1962 after building body & cabin.
Single owner truck with all original parts, damn we're so lucky to get such an awesome machine !

We bought it for 79 thousand rupees,asking in Lac's for it firstly but then we told them about condition, only 4 tyres on truck that too all are totally flat, no battery, needs complete wooden work + paint job, then they realized the state of their beloved truck
also another big thing is that we paid the 17k insurance and couriered it to their address, after that they took noc and we bought it. so it 79 + 17 = 96k and take more 75k for 6 new 8.25 size tyres and approx 6k for new battery so it will almost cost 2L once it finished all work that needs to be done.

parked in their farm and as it had only 4 tyres that too flat it wasn't getting out of mud there, so it was towed by tractor to make it on road ! that was best and worst day of my life [ or maybe our family's life ] , Grandpa [ previous owner ], Grandma, and their sons, grandsons all of them broke down into tears while giving it away & also the other grandpa who was there to write bond in the village cried while writing statements on bond paper , 50-50 day !

happiness because of bedford coming home and sadness because of watching such aged human beings crying and saying bye bye to their beloved truck who served them for 53 years, they told us that they've lived their half life in this trucks cabin loading and unloading cargos everywhere, they bought few vehicles due to bedford, they told us many things like their family is big and everyone got married, bought acres of farm & everything that they have right now just because of this truck, the very very last statement that they spoke was " MAZI LAXMI GHEUN JAT AHAT, SAMBHALUN VAPRA ANI KAHI ADCHAN ALI TAR MALA PHONE KARA ME APLYA GADI CHA SEVE SATHI KADHI HI HAJAR RAHIN" [ hamari laxmi le ke ja rahe ho, sambhal ke jao aur kuch problem hua ya koi madad chahiye rahegi to bezijag mujhe call karna mai apne gadi ke liye kab bhi kahi bhi aa jaunga ] .

They still call me/dad twice daily & ask about 5895 ! emotional moments of my life, i will never forget that day !

It had something called as counter signature, it was allowed to cross MH-KA boundary till a specific region, i've attached a pic of counter signature board too
The pics:

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-perkins-p6.jpg

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-perkins-p6-1.jpg

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-perkyns-p6.jpg

The Perkins six cylinder mill seems to have undergone some recent overhauling work. There used to be a Parrot-Beak Dodge near my place, with a Perkins diesel, about which I've written below:

Quote:
I used to see a BYL registered Parrot-Beak Dodge parked near my house for nearly 6 years. The truck itself was abandoned, but I've spent many an idle afternoon, climbing onto her, looking at the (broken and cloudy!) gauges, and trying to turn the steering. Strangely enough, I never managed to turn it. She was a darkish metallic green in colour. Scrapped- I guess, in 2008. I never saw her saw her after 2008, maybe she is still around, who knows?

I still recall, how I had heard her start in 2008 (the last time), and the moment she started, the typical old diesel note- So very characteristic of the old Perkins Diesels! Ah- A Tata Mercedes Benz L-312 I know can come close to the racket she made, though.
The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-byx-5895-7.jpg

What make is the H/L of?

The couple standing beside the truck- were the first owners. The truck's condition can be classified as relatively good. The amount of rust evident, is substantial. Look at the characteristic clamshell bonnet of the Bedford attached below. The decay in 50 years is quite a bit- but not so much if you consider that Ratnagiri is a coastal town in South MH.

The Radium T in the rear differential housing is very-very wrong. The T- actually stands for Tata.

Quite a common fixture with trucks here. I recall, I was once observing what looked like a MTF registered Tata 1210. I didn't know then- how to differentiate between the L-312 and the 1210, by the minor differences on the cab's windscreen.

One look at the differential assembly, and there was the regular T there, yes. BUT- at the centre of it, there was a very small, yet subtle, raised 3 dimentional Tri-pointed Star, without the outer circle.

I was shocked to realise that the daily runner was actually an L-312. Ah- Life's little amusing experiences!

Continued-
Attached Thumbnails
The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-byx-5895-6.jpg  

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-byx-5895-9.jpg  

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-byx-5895.jpg  

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-byx-5895-10.jpg  

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-byx-5895-5.jpg  

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-byx-5895-4.jpg  

Last edited by FINTAIL : 14th February 2015 at 12:57.
FINTAIL is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks