Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2013, 22:41   #766
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread.

Spotted these old TMB/ Tata trucks in West Bengal, Meghalaya and Assam states.
The first one is clicked in South Kolkata.
The next two are clicked near Shillong, while the last one is at Guwahati, Assam.
Being in a moving car the last one's nose was partially cut.

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-dscn0814.jpg

Spotted in Kolkata - these are parked as rescue vehicles on important junctions

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-dscn1015.jpg

Waiting for more duties!

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-dscn1016a.jpg

Old and still traversing hilly roads with ease!

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-dscn1040.jpg

Parked in Guwahati
anjan_c2007 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st December 2013, 23:07   #767
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
Here's an old Tata Mercedes Benz truck, which we spotted while returning back from today's meet. MHL 3202 It looks shortened; is the chassis shortened, or is it due to the appearance of a short tanker on the long chassis?
Certainly looks standard wheelbase. The short tanker makes it appear otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Spotted these old TMB/ Tata trucks in West Bengal, Meghalaya and Assam states. The first one is clicked in South Kolkata. The next two are clicked near Shillong, while the last one is at Guwahati, Assam. Being in a moving car the last one's nose was partially cut. Spotted in Kolkata - these are parked as rescue vehicles on important junctions Waiting for more duties! Old and still traversing hilly roads with ease! Parked in Guwahati
The two half body trucks are definitely army retirees . Notice the front drive axle , the extra heavy steel bumper and the tow loops on the bumper. Also noticeable is the the ground clearance as found is military vehicles. On military trucks that are retired and bought for civilian use, the front wheel drive is disabled for fuel economy as well as
unnecessary wear & tear.

Last edited by karlosdeville : 2nd December 2013 at 10:04. Reason: Consecutive posts
Old 26th December 2013, 03:15   #768

Need help with Vespa Ape restoration

Hello folks,

I have a request that you guys may find a little strange.

While I have spent quite alot of time in your fine country I am now at home in Australia and find myself in need of some help.

I have come into posession of a Piaggio Ape C model. This is an early 60s three wheeler. Now while I understand that Piaggio has actually released three wheelers in India, this earlier model is pretty much identical mechanically and chassis wise with your Bajaj FE Rickshaw.

If anybody here would be able to point me in the direction of where I could perhaps purchase a complete and running FE Rickshaw (or preferably I would actually like a rear tray model) or perhaps a business thatwould sell spares for these???

I would also like to perhaps buy a couple of complete engines from one of these if possible. I am willing to come over for a visit to hunt around if necessary but I have recently added another baby to my family so I think my wife would probably either strangle me before I left or would be waiting for my return with a loaded pistol....

So any help of any sort would be appreciated ever so much. In return, I have been collecting and restoring Vespas and Lambrettas for coming up on three deccades so please feel free to ask any advice.

All the best folks,
Raff
Old 29th December 2013, 23:23   #769
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread

Thought this would be the proper thread to post what i found today, although its rusting. Visited a Government office today for some urgent work and what i found at that boring place, a rusting Citroen HY van, couldn't remember of any other example of the vehicle around. Will try and visit the place again next Sunday, to have a closer look.
Attached Thumbnails
The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-20131229_111631.jpg  

agspins is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th December 2013, 10:06   #770
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Need help with Vespa Ape restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raff View Post
If anybody here would be able to point me in the direction of where I could perhaps purchase a complete and running FE Rickshaw (or preferably I would actually like a rear tray model) or perhaps a business thatwould sell spares for these???

I would also like to perhaps buy a couple of complete engines from one of these if possible. I am willing to come over for a visit to hunt around if necessary but I have recently added another baby to my family so I think my wife would probably either strangle me before I left or would be waiting for my return with a loaded pistol....
Greetings - since Bajaj still manufactures these machines, best you buy them new. There'll be some level of mechanical upgrades too - a 4 stroke engine being the biggest change. Else there are plently older ones to be had second hand...

http://www.bajajauto.com/
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2014, 02:51   #771

Thank you Karlosdeville. I am hoping to purchase a 2nd hand FE rick/parts as I will not be using the whole item initially. I wish to get myself an engine, brake parts and some other. I also wish to purchase some individual parts from a Auto Track trailer such as the complete rear axle assembly. I hope to be able create some of my own custom designed trailers. I would really like to make myself a teardrop camper style trailer to be ttached to the auto track rear axle assembly. There have also been some camper attachments that fit directly to the Rickshaw itself rather than on a 5th wheel style trailer. I really wish to have a number of different rear attachments for different uses such as food/coffee catering, passenger carrying, capervan, workshop etc which is why I would hopefully be able to buy the rear axle assembly separately from the whole trailer unit. This will also come along way to making the freight charges to Australia alot less. Basically I need to purchase the parts that would be difficult to make myself and I will then fabricate the other parts myself.

Any help you guys could give me with locations of where I could purchase used (possibly out of service/damaged) Bajaj FE rickshaws and parts I would really appreciate it. I imagine there are markets in the larger cities where I could find these things? Perhaps there are wrecking yards like we have here in Australia for these vehicles??

I will be coming over to search for these items some time in the next couple of months but it would be really great if I had an idea before I jump on the plane of what to expect.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=t...w=1366&bih=638
Old 5th January 2014, 12:39   #772
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agspins View Post
Thought this would be the proper thread to post what i found today, although its rusting. Visited a Government office today for some urgent work and what i found at that boring place, a rusting Citroen HY van, couldn't remember of any other example of the vehicle around. Will try and visit the place again next Sunday, to have a closer look.
Great find!! Din't know they existed here in India...Try to rescue her if possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raff View Post
Thank you Karlosdeville. I am hoping to purchase a 2nd hand FE rick/parts as I will not be using the whole item initially. I wish to get myself an engine, brake parts and some other. I also wish to purchase some individual parts from a Auto Track trailer such as the complete rear axle assembly. I hope to be able create some of my own custom designed trailers. I would really like to make myself a teardrop camper style trailer to be ttached to the auto track rear axle assembly. There have also been some camper attachments that fit directly to the Rickshaw itself rather than on a 5th wheel style trailer. I really wish to have a number of different rear attachments for different uses such as food/coffee catering, passenger carrying, capervan, workshop etc which is why I would hopefully be able to buy the rear axle assembly separately from the whole trailer unit. This will also come along way to making the freight charges to Australia alot less. Basically I need to purchase the parts that would be difficult to make myself and I will then fabricate the other parts myself.

Any help you guys could give me with locations of where I could purchase used (possibly out of service/damaged) Bajaj FE rickshaws and parts I would really appreciate it. I imagine there are markets in the larger cities where I could find these things? Perhaps there are wrecking yards like we have here in Australia for these vehicles??

I will be coming over to search for these items some time in the next couple of months but it would be really great if I had an idea before I jump on the plane of what to expect.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=t...w=1366&bih=638
There are couple of Autorickshaw(what they are called here)/Rickshaw customizer's and parts yards etc here in my city, Bangalore and i am sure in other big cities also. Don't expect the quality of work for customization anywhere close to Aussie levels though..Regarding the shipment of parts i could help you if its done from Bangalore as i have shipped couple of things to Australia from here.
Old 5th January 2014, 18:08   #773
BHPian

Saw this Premier Truck near Parli, Maharashtra.
Attached Thumbnails
The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-_dsc1624.jpg  

gautomobile is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th February 2014, 07:39   #774
BHPian

Here is a treasure that i clicked last day. A beautifully maintained Ashok Leyland Comet from the 70s still running in excellent condition working for FACT. The truck serves as a nitrogen tanker and am seeing this type of load for the first time too.
Attached Thumbnails
The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-1013453_10151966335947404_796976541_n.jpg  

urzdeepu is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 17th February 2014, 02:11   #775
Senior - BHPian

On 28-02-2014 , Vide E-auction number "MSTC/BLR/KARNATAKA STATE ROAD TRANSPORT CORPORATION/91/NEAR LALBAGH, BANGALORE/13-14/13096[74442] " and lot number "NWRWH -87" ,
KSRTC Lalbagh road head office 's Mr Nagaraj Rao whose phone number is 080-22223424 and email id is cosp@ksrtc.org , is selling a vintage truck registered "MEF 1824" parked at "NWKRTC REGIONAL WORKSHOPS, HUBLI State :Karnataka"

Vehicle described by them as "SCRAP TATA TRUCK MEF 1824 [CLOSED TYPE] ALLUMINUM BODY"

hope a fellow Tbhpian loving Benz trucks bids and bags the same at reasonable price!
vinay kamath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2014, 10:57   #776
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinay kamath View Post
Vehicle described by them as "SCRAP TATA TRUCK MEF 1824 [CLOSED TYPE] ALLUMINUM BODY"
Looks like a typo to me. Tata never had any model called 1824 in its line up.
Old 17th February 2014, 16:57   #777
Distinguished - BHPian

I think you misunderstood - MEF 1824 is the registration number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
Looks like a typo to me. Tata never had any model called 1824 in its line up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinay kamath View Post
....selling a vintage truck registered "MEF 1824" parked at...
karlosdeville is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2014, 17:30   #778
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I think you misunderstood - MEF 1824 is the registration number.
Oops, my bad!

24 at the end of model number would have meant 240 horses of power which is too much to expect from a vintage TM CV!
Old 17th February 2014, 23:18   #779
Distinguished - BHPian

Sighted at Delhi about two weeks ago - Lambretta three wheelers in the to pictures partly camouflaged by other automobiles:

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-dscn1727.jpg

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-dscn1729.jpg
anjan_c2007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2014, 09:24   #780
Senior - BHPian

Few classic commercial vehicles for sale by Government by e-auction at Bangalore on 28-03-2014 :

a) 1973 'MYD 6485' Water tanker

b) 1981 'CAW 4563' & 'CAG 5665' Jeeps

and of several other jeeps(1985,1986,1994) , Ambys and tankers of later models.

please search google using:

BWSSB/EE/(N-E)/PB/3489/2013-14

http://eproc.karnataka.gov.in

Executive Engineer (north east) BWSSB, 18th cross Malleswaram Bangalore 55. ph 080-22945124 , email eene@bwssb.org has all the details.

hope our TBhpians win them all !
vinay kamath is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks