Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2009, 11:25   #286
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Err, gyan? I smell a "left-handed" acknowledgement!
Uh-oh....ok ok, I change the word- info.!

Quote:
Yes, the Grille looks like a locally sourced piece. CSTC is famous for getting branded buses, then sourcing their repairs/replacements to local inefficient garages (usually recommended by politicos, but lets not open that kettle of fish now). Thats why most of these buses become smoky, belchy, running coffins before their time is due.
Same with the case of most state transport owned cos. I guess. :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
The number "WBS" suggests its Calcutta.
Well, I couldnt make out whether it was WB* or MR*.....'could only make out the digit part.
Old 12th July 2009, 11:55   #287
Senior - BHPian

Bus! No more Double Decker gyan from Kolkata!

The apparent comunity disbelief on seeing a double decker in Kolkata got me thinking. So I googled a few pics up (sadly there are only few online)for the general satisfaction of the junta.

The first pic is from 1945, and shows commuters scrambling up a double decker bus. The next 3 are of the trolley buses. The last is a normal double decker bus.

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-kolkata-double-decker1945.jpg

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-kolkata-double-decker4.jpg

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-kolkata-double-decker3.jpg

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-kolkata-double-decker.jpg

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-kolkata-double-decker2.jpg
predatorwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2009, 10:15   #288
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The first pic is from 1945, and shows commuters scrambling up a double decker bus. The next 3 are of the trolley buses. The last is a normal double decker bus.
Recently I had posted a picture sent to me of a Skoda trolley bus in Bombay. From what I understand (after browsing online) a trolley bus (elsewhere in the world too) is powered by overhead electric cables. Perhaps a more correct name for what you have posted would be an articulated bus. Subject to correction.
Old 13th July 2009, 10:55   #289
Senior - BHPian

Oops!

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
From what I understand (after browsing online) a trolley bus (elsewhere in the world too) is powered by overhead electric cables. Perhaps a more correct name for what you have posted would be an articulated bus.
Absolutely champ, I stand corrected. The buses I'm referring to are not Trolley Buses. Going by their intrinsic design, they may be called articulated buses. Thanks for the correction.

Last edited by predatorwheelz : 13th July 2009 at 10:57.
Old 13th July 2009, 11:50   #290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Going by their intrinsic design, they may be called articulated buses.
Or more simply, even camel buses, perhaps? Like the ones in cuba (although not exactly identical):

camel bus cuba - Google Image Search=
Old 13th July 2009, 15:01   #291
Distinguished - BHPian

A host of interesting trucks and the like can be found here. Look for the India section

world truck pictures page

Here are some of the best.
Attached Thumbnails
The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-24th39.jpg  

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-24th38.jpg  

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-24th23.jpg  

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-docks36.jpg  

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-pic00032.jpg  

Attached Images

karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2009, 15:08   #292
Senior - BHPian

what are the trucks in picture 1 (firetruck) and picture 4 (tractor)??

MODERATORS, PLEASE DELETE THIS POST AS I GOT THE ANSWERS TO MY QUESTION. SORRY FOR THE INCONVINIENCE.

Last edited by amit V8 : 13th July 2009 at 15:27.
Old 13th July 2009, 15:47   #293
Senior - BHPian

Geography Gyaan

Quote:
A host of interesting trucks and the like can be found here. Look for the India section

The Kolkata Police tow truck is doing duty to this day and can be seen in Gariahat area on a regular basis. Anjan had earlier posted a pic of it on this very thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ml#post1302444

In addition to these, there's a Dodge PW which is doing faithful duty for Adams Garage. Also, I've been told of a rotting steam truck lying somewhere in Howrah. So far just hearsay. No idea of its make or vintage.

Last edited by predatorwheelz : 13th July 2009 at 15:51.
Old 13th July 2009, 17:09   #294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The apparent comunity disbelief on seeing a double decker in Kolkata got me thinking. So I googled a few pics up (sadly there are only few online)for the general satisfaction of the junta.

A friend of mine has purchased a double decker bus from the authorities in Calcutta but is having difficulties to take delivery because apparently too many fittings have been robbed. He wanted it for his private collection.

Quote:

What exactly are pic 1 and 4? Is the fire truck a Bedford? There is some lettering on the door. And she has white wall tyres!

Pic no 3 is a Fordson in distress. Does anyone have a clue where this is?

Quote:

Also, I've been told of a rotting steam truck lying somewhere in Howrah. So far just hearsay. No idea of its make or vintage.
Well, at one time there were 2 steam trucks, both were Sentinnel and were picked up from Telco Jamshedpur and brough to Cal. Today these are in Bangalore.
Old 13th July 2009, 17:37   #295
Senior - BHPian

I think long back one steam truck from Howrah was for sale, it was in classifieds( with a pic..in sorry state) of Auto India probably somewhere around 96-97 or so..
Old 13th July 2009, 17:45   #296
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
What exactly are pic 1 and 4? Is the fire truck a Bedford? There is some lettering on the door. And she has white wall tyres!

Pic no 3 is a Fordson in distress. Does anyone have a clue where this is?
In the link it is mentioned as an AEC Merryweather, in some school in Calcutta. The Fordson is apparently wrongly listed as a Vauxhall, and supposedly in Victoria Memorial.
Old 13th July 2009, 18:02   #297
Senior - BHPian

mere do paise

Quote:
Originally Posted by agspins View Post
I think long back one steam truck from Howrah was for sale, it was in classifieds( with a pic..in sorry state) of Auto India probably somewhere around 96-97 or so..
Could be the same truck. The person who told me is a local resident, though completely untrained in automobile matters. I'm planning a trip to Howrah soon. Will check it out for novelty's sake.

Quote:
In the link it is mentioned as an AEC Merryweather, in some school in Calcutta. The Fordson is apparently wrongly listed as a Vauxhall, and supposedly in Victoria Memorial.
The firetruck is lying in Calcutta Fire Brigade's HQ in Free School Street. I recollect seeing it lying (in the open) in some Fire Brigade garage in South Kolkata. Maybe its been moved.

The photographer has mistaken the Fordson for a Vauxhall. He's also described the rotting trailer truck as an Autocar. Was there a commercial vehicle manufacturer with that name?
Old 13th July 2009, 19:52   #298
Distinguished - BHPian

In his budget speech/ Finance Bill for 2009-10 the Finance Minister stated that the Central Excise duty on petrol trucks is reduced from the hitherto 20 % to 8 %. This is a mystery as I am not aware of any truck in our market being sold with a petrol engine. Are there any sold in the market with petrol engines?
Nissan light trucks made by the Gun Carriage Factory, Jabalpur, surely used to be fitted with petrol engines for exclusive use by the forces.
Old 13th July 2009, 20:28   #299
Senior - BHPian

Classic Budget!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
In his budget speech/ Finance Bill for 2009-10 the Finance Minister stated that the Central Excise duty on petrol trucks is reduced from the hitherto 20 % to 8 %. This is a mystery as I am not aware of any truck in our market being sold with a petrol engine. Are there any sold in the market with petrol engines?
Nissan light trucks made by the Gun Carriage Factory, Jabalpur, surely used to be fitted with petrol engines for exclusive use by the forces.
Wot Saar? You discussing budget highlights on a classic thread? Tempting bankers to show off their homework? Not fair saar!

Ok, I promise to keep this short and sweet. First of all, the Central Excise rules are very vague regarding definition of a truck/lorry. Any vehicle doing commercial goods-carrying duty is a truck. So the only existing vehicle that benefits from the excise sop is the Maruti Omni Cargo!

Secondly, what it has also done is make Tata think of bringing out a cheaper, petrol powered Ace. Newer entrants like Volvo and Hino are also planning to bring out petrol powered CVs to catch the trend. Here's a very useful news article on the subject:

Tata Motors may roll out a petrol-driven Ace truck post-budget sops*-*WheelsUnplugged Automobile Industry News

Ok, point explained. Now write down "I shall not go OT again" a 100 times!
Old 13th July 2009, 23:19   #300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Is the fire truck a Bedford? There is some lettering on the door. And she has white wall tyres!
I've noticed most fire-engines have white-walls, even the newer ones I've seen at a particular fire station here, now reduced to half due to the road-widening along that area. It once housed a few interesting Fire-engines such as a Bedford J6 and what looked like a 40s chevy that I'd been seeing since my childhood, and never moving from its spot. While the semi-demolishing was going on, the Fire station authorities, out of the blue, decided to do it up right there, and scraped off all the paint, then last saw it covered in red-oxide before it finally disappeared! Maybe they've taken it to another fire-station to be put up as a display piece?

Quote:

Nice pics.! 'couldnt find the India section in the abovementioned site though.

Most Viewed