Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2012, 23:07   #1411
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Standard cars in India

'reckoned this thread's been silent for quite a while, so some eye-candy!

'been in touch with a Dr. Gujarati from Shirdi/Nashik who'd sent me a couple of period pics. of a mk1 Herald his father had owned:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ml#post2729421

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...ure-003001.jpg

And he also sent me these relatively recent pics. (early-mid 2000s).

The red & white Herald appears to be an early mk1 ('61-62) Herald and was bought by his friend, the muslim guy seen in the pics. in 2001, who had it painted blue and silver(?) as can be seen in the later pics. and had planned to send it to someone in Bombay then. But Dr. Gujarati says he is in touch with his friend who told him the car is currently back in Nashik and was sold to a mechanic there a few years ago. 'hope it can be traced.

The metallic blue one is again an early mk1 Herald but the interiors modified with the headrests and- surprisingly- a Standard Gazel dash!! Although it retains the original SMITHS speedo. This car was seen at a vintage car show at Nashik maybe 6-7 years ago. As per the pics. on the windscreen, it was restored ground-up. The paintjob could have been better though. As well as the rearview mirrors!
Incidentally I remember Behram Dhabhar mentioning a 'metallic blue' Herald seen in Nashik, a few years ago. 'could be the same car.

Standard cars in India-avin.jpg

Standard cars in India-avin01.jpg

Standard cars in India-avin02.jpg

Standard cars in India-avin03.jpg

Standard cars in India-mk1nashik.jpg

Last edited by Stanher : 23rd April 2012 at 23:09.
Stanher is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th April 2012, 15:51   #1412
Senior - BHPian

After a long time a Standard picture.
I don't know the story here, door and bonnet seem to be ill fitting.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Standard cars in India-standard011.jpg  

Old 30th April 2012, 18:28   #1413
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
After a long time a Standard picture.
I don't know the story here, door and bonnet seem to be ill fitting.
Aw, poor Stanher!

The door and bonnet are not 'ill-fitting' (nor have the bonnet 'hinges' rusted and given away! ) but have been misaligned in some sort of accident. Maybe the car had rolled over although cant say for sure. Or maybe it had a head-on collision.

'hope it was fixed.
Old 22nd May 2012, 22:24   #1414
Distinguished - BHPian

A few pics. of Standards in India circa early/mid 90s.

A mk3 (4-door) Herald, interesting bonnet safety lock!:

And- all the more rare- a Standard Companion taxi in Madras...in 1996!! The car still looks in good shape despite maybe 30+ years of plying as a taxi there! 'would've been a rare sight by then, I never saw anything other than Ambys and Fiats (a few 1100s though) as cabs when visiting Madras in 1993. Or maybe this one was converted to a taxi at a later stage?

Source:

The TruckNet® UK Drivers RoundTable • View topic - Classic Trucks of India

And a couple of Vanguards spotted in Ooty and Mysore circa 1993 (found on flickr)..the taxi had been featured here as well as elsewhere online earlier:

Indian Vanguard Taxi

I think the estate/wagon is now in Bangalore and was even up for sale (needing resto), pics. of it were posted by KPS IIRC?

Last edited by Stanher : 22nd May 2012 at 22:39.
Stanher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2012, 18:19   #1415
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
A few pics. of Standards in India circa early/mid 90s.

And a couple of Vanguards spotted in Ooty and Mysore circa 1993 (found on flickr)..the taxi had been featured here as well as elsewhere online earlier:

Indian Vanguard Taxi

I think the estate/wagon is now in Bangalore and was even up for sale (needing resto), pics. of it were posted by KPS IIRC?
the one posted by KPS is not of this model but a 2 door Estate version 1952 model

Last edited by karlosdeville : 23rd May 2012 at 18:25. Reason: Removing entire quote
Old 24th May 2012, 11:09   #1416
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
the one posted by KPS is not of this model but a 2 door Estate version 1952 model
Actually it is probably the same car - you can see the pictures he posted here,

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ml#post2016810

that car too is a 4 door.
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2012, 12:24   #1417
BHPian

Hi,

I am not sure if this car is already posted in this thread as i have not gone through the entire thread. If posted, my apologies, this car was spotted in Jayanagar area of Bangalore in June last year.

regards,

Srinand.
Attached Thumbnails
Standard cars in India-25062011.jpg  

srinand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2012, 12:51   #1418
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
This may be badged as a triumph but it is definately a "Standard Herald"
Nice car, but as mentioned it is a Standard herald because all the dashboard instruments are "Yenkay" the first Indian brand of meters.

Dont know if this has been posted before but here is a movie on the Herald's being manufactured at the Standard Triumph factory in Coventry!

Old 24th May 2012, 18:59   #1419
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinand View Post
I am not sure if this car is already posted in this thread as i have not gone through the entire thread. If posted, my apologies, this car was spotted in Jayanagar area of Bangalore in June last year.
Nice car! 'hope my Companion becomes as nice one fine day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
Nice car, but as mentioned it is a Standard herald because all the dashboard instruments are "Yenkay" the first Indian brand of meters.
As mentioned it is NOT a Standard Herald but a Triumph one by all means. Its only the meters and dashboard that are lifted from a Standard Herald probably because the owner could not find replacements for any of the original 'Smiths' meters or dash material.
Old 24th May 2012, 21:38   #1420
BANNED

Quote:
As mentioned it is NOT a Standard Herald but a Triumph one by all means.
Reasons why it could be a Standard Herald:

1. The Herald 1200 was introduced in 1962 when British Leyland took over Standard Triumph who were then in a financial mess and they introduced the 1200 which came with white bumpers - this car does not have the "add on" white bumpers.

3. Yenkay instruments for the Herald were last made by the late 60's. By the 70's it was Pricol who were supplying the meters. So if this was fitted with Yenkay meters, then was it done in 1969 ? If so why did the meters fail by 1969 ?

4. The beadings on the tail lights were chromed and not aluminium (aluminium beadings for the rear tail lights were used in the 4 door Indian Herald).

5. The hubcaps for the 1200 were not as shown in this pic but similar to the hubcaps that came in the 4 door Herald (with a small round circle in the centre)

6. The only point in favour of it being a Triumph would be that the slats on the top of the bonnet (near the windscreen) are not from front to back of the car but sideways. IIRC the Indian Heralds either had no slats or had the slats going from front to back of the car.

7. Other things missing on this car to show it as a 1200 (1) Chrome ring outside the hubcaps, (2) Mirrors on the bonnet and (3) chrome beading on the rear side glass.
Old 25th May 2012, 06:48   #1421
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Reasons why it could be a Standard Herald:

1. The Herald 1200 was introduced in 1962 when British Leyland took over Standard Triumph who were then in a financial mess and they introduced the 1200 which came with white bumpers - this car does not have the "add on" white bumpers.

3. Yenkay instruments for the Herald were last made by the late 60's. By the 70's it was Pricol who were supplying the meters. So if this was fitted with Yenkay meters, then was it done in 1969 ? If so why did the meters fail by 1969 ?

4. The beadings on the tail lights were chromed and not aluminium (aluminium beadings for the rear tail lights were used in the 4 door Indian Herald).

5. The hubcaps for the 1200 were not as shown in this pic but similar to the hubcaps that came in the 4 door Herald (with a small round circle in the centre)

6. The only point in favour of it being a Triumph would be that the slats on the top of the bonnet (near the windscreen) are not from front to back of the car but sideways. IIRC the Indian Heralds either had no slats or had the slats going from front to back of the car.

7. Other things missing on this car to show it as a 1200 (1) Chrome ring outside the hubcaps, (2) Mirrors on the bonnet and (3) chrome beading on the rear side glass.
I appreciate your knowledge on the Triumph and Standard Heralds. However, all the missing or 'replaced' fittings you mention would have easily been lost/damaged over the years and the owner obviously could not get replacements for them in India! (there would have been no knowledge of ebay until the last 5 years or so and even today many older gen. people are not net savvy enough to trawl online for spares) hence the only alternative then was to switch to what parts the Indian Heralds had or just have the car without them.

And it is not necessary that the dash and the black Yenkay meters (which were on even in the 70s for the Standard Gazel and 20 Vans btw) were fitted only in 1969, they could have been fitted even at a later stage from a 4-door Herald that was scrapped, as were the aluminium tail-fin beadings (FYI, the 2-door Standard Heralds never had any beadings on the fins, atleast not the mk1)

And the Indian Heralds DID initially (1961-62) have the 'mesh' type slats on the bonnet (not sideways) that this one does. twas only from 1963 that they had the vertical ones. And the 4-door/mk3 had none.

Last edited by Stanher : 25th May 2012 at 06:51.
Old 25th May 2012, 09:52   #1422
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Does anyone exctly in which year the Standard 2000 was introduced? I remember that they had only three colours, blue red and white. And the booking amount was Rs 50000/- I do not remember the price. And that Metro Motors were selling them. BUT, in which year was that?
I have the complete booklet. And what was STAMPRO?

Cheers harit
Great to see that you have preserved the manual of the Standard 2000. Some info on your queries (if it isn't already answered):

1. The price was Rs.2.30 lakhs to Rs.2.50 lakhs.

2. In addition to "Stampro" which stood for Standard Motor Products of India (in this case as Standard Triumph of England also used the same brand), there was also another brand "Stanpart" which was the brand name given to the original Standard spare parts (the equivalent of MGP or Maruti Genuine Parts).

3. The Standard 2000 was fitted with the Vanguard Petrol engine which also did duty in the Standard 20 (Petrol) too. Standard Motors modified this engine by giving it two carburettors. The gearbox was also that of the Vanguard !! And naturally had it's set of problems too. There was a shortage of spares even when the car was in production and one of the solutions (resorted to some dealers at that time) was to take the car to the factory and have the part changed !!

Quote:
they could have been fitted even at a later stage from a 4-door Herald that was scrapped, as were the aluminium tail-fin beadings
Exactly, thats what I intended.

Quote:
(FYI, the 2-door Standard Heralds never had any beadings on the fins, atleast not the mk1)
The Herald 1200 came with Chrome beadings only on the fins (not by the side of the tail lights also as like the aluminium beadings seen in the Indian 4 door Mk3). None of the 2 door Indian Heralds had beadings.

Quote:
And the Indian Heralds DID initially (1961-62) have the 'mesh' type slats on the bonnet (not sideways) that this one does. twas only from 1963 that they had the vertical ones. And the 4-door/mk3 had none.
This one has the sideways mesh with a protrusion on the vertical (front to back) ones neither the sideways mesh nor the protrusion on the vertical ones were there on the Indian Heralds. That is the only point in favour of it being a Triumph.

Apart from the badging which could have been redone, this car looks like a well maintained Standard Herald. The only way to ascertain would be direct from the owner.
Old 25th May 2012, 19:45   #1423
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The only way to ascertain would be direct from the owner.
He too is not sure

The books say Standard Herald, I think 67 or 69, and there is no Commission Plate. The fittings are a mix of everything. But the larger point is that everything looks period correct, nothing really glaringly out of place. A pleasing car to look at, I'd love to have a similar one.
Old 25th May 2012, 20:55   #1424
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
He too is not sure

The books say Standard Herald, I think 67 or 69, and there is no Commission Plate. The fittings are a mix of everything. But the larger point is that everything looks period correct, nothing really glaringly out of place. A pleasing car to look at, I'd love to have a similar one.
Hi karlosdeville, thanks for clarifying.

Just some points:

1. If it is a single owner he would at least know if he had imported it. If it was not imported, then it wouldn't be a Triumph Herald.

2. Secondly, the book would not say 67 or 69 as by 67 it was already Mark II , which had a different headlight arrangement - 3 separate lights in a row for the indicator, park and headlight. The indicator was a round orange light, and the park was smaller than the indicator. So it cannot be a 67 or 69. The Mark I was discontinued in 1965. (this is a Mark I),

Do see if you can get more info.
Old 25th May 2012, 21:07   #1425
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The Herald 1200 came with Chrome beadings only on the fins (not by the side of the tail lights also as like the aluminium beadings seen in the Indian 4 door Mk3).
Here are pics. of 1200s, all the versions- saloon, conv., estate and coupe, all showing the vertical beadings by the side of the tail-lamps (which were stainless steel btw, although the top 'V' shape ones were chrome):

1964 Triumph Herald 1200 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

1963 Triumph Herald 1200 Coupe | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

1963 triumph herald 1200 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Quote:
This one has the sideways mesh with a protrusion on the vertical (front to back) ones neither the sideways mesh nor the protrusion on the vertical ones were there on the Indian Heralds.
From what I've seen the EARLY Indian Heralds also had a similar mesh on the bonnets (not very clear in these pics. though):

Standard cars in India-mk1vent.jpg

Standard cars in India-yelbonnet.jpg

Standard cars in India-apuvent.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks