Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2010, 11:06   #1186
Senior - BHPian

@ Shyam: So shall we look forward to another restoration thread heralding high Standards ?? Waiting, waiting !!
Old 10th August 2010, 11:40   #1187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya101 View Post
Whats wrong with the rear axle? i.e. why are the tyres 'folding' up inwards? (or is it that the car is on jacks) I have a very good condition standard in my colony with similar problem...
Hehee Aditya thats the way the rear suspension is on the herald. If your colony's car has that type of suspension then its 100% original Herald suspension. While standing it the tyres fold up a little and while running its in normal position so no problems.
PS: this is what i have learnt from the standard gurus till date. Hope i am somewhere near to correct.
Old 10th August 2010, 15:38   #1188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Hehee Aditya thats the way the rear suspension is on the herald. If your colony's car has that type of suspension then its 100% original Herald suspension. While standing it the tyres fold up a little and while running its in normal position so no problems.
PS: this is what i have learnt from the standard gurus till date. Hope i am somewhere near to correct.
is it so! I see something similar in our 'modern' Ape autos and Tatra trucks
Old 10th August 2010, 18:46   #1189
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Note the unique stepney tyre carrier under the boot BTW, a feature only on the last ('68-70) Standard Heralds! Curiously on the Gazel that followed, they reverted to the well inside the boot.
Shyam,

A little bit of history on this.

We had a 1968 Herald which my dad bought new in FEB 68 and was with us until 1982 (I think I have told the story of the car before).

It used to be serviced in Stanes Motirs Trivandrum (authorised dealers). Around 1971, the Service Manager told us that if we wanted we can modify back to the stepney well as the company themselves were reverting back. Main reason was the user incoveneience of the under the dicky cradle system. (We did not modify).

When lowering the tyre it always catches the edge of the "skirting" under the rear bumper. But when lowering the weight of the tyre will do the trick for you as when cradle is lower than the tyre the tyre will free fall from the snagged position to the cradele and you can drag it out. When lowered you can see that the cradle itself comes slightly towards the rear of the car.

Putting it back is another story and was a two man operation. When you put a fully inflated tyre back in the cradle and lift it back by turing the bolt in the boot, the tyre again catches the edge of the "skirting".

Now, those familiar with the shape of the skirting can understand that by the shape, it will allow a hevy object to slip down, but while going up, the edge will not give up the tyre but will bend inwards with the tyre.

So while one person is turning the screw (my dad) another person (I) will have to sit down and draw the skirting back with all the strength in my "little" body (I think we had the first puncture in 1971 on a TVM - Bangalore Trip) so that the tyre will go up with without being caught.

There were too many complaints about this to Standard Motors and they decided the easy way was to fall back to the stepney well scenario

How I miss my KLV 33

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
Old 10th August 2010, 19:25   #1190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Shyam,

A little bit of history on this.

We had a 1968 Herald which my dad bought new in FEB 68 and was with us until 1982 (I think I have told the story of the car before).

It used to be serviced in Stanes Motirs Trivandrum (authorised dealers). Around 1971, the Service Manager told us that if we wanted we can modify back to the stepney well as the company themselves were reverting back. Main reason was the user incoveneience of the under the dicky cradle system. (We did not modify).

When lowering the tyre it always catches the edge of the "skirting" under the rear bumper. But when lowering the weight of the tyre will do the trick for you as when cradle is lower than the tyre the tyre will free fall from the snagged position to the cradele and you can drag it out. When lowered you can see that the cradle itself comes slightly towards the rear of the car.

Putting it back is another story and was a two man operation. When you put a fully inflated tyre back in the cradle and lift it back by turing the bolt in the boot, the tyre again catches the edge of the "skirting".

Now, those familiar with the shape of the skirting can understand that by the shape, it will allow a hevy object to slip down, but while going up, the edge will not give up the tyre but will bend inwards with the tyre.

So while one person is turning the screw (my dad) another person (I) will have to sit down and draw the skirting back with all the strength in my "little" body (I think we had the first puncture in 1971 on a TVM - Bangalore Trip) so that the tyre will go up with without being caught.

There were too many complaints about this to Standard Motors and they decided the easy way was to fall back to the stepney well scenario

How I miss my KLV 33

Ram
Dont worry too much Ram, be happy
Who knows maybe you can get a single owner driven Mark11 herald from kerala itself
Old 10th August 2010, 19:43   #1191
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya101 View Post
Whats wrong with the rear axle? i.e. why are the tyres 'folding' up inwards? (or is it that the car is on jacks) I have a very good condition standard in my colony with similar problem...
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
thats the way the rear suspension is on the herald. If your colony's car has that type of suspension then its 100% original Herald suspension. While standing it the tyres fold up a little and while running its in normal position so no problems.
Hi Aditya,
As sagar says, that's how the Herald's (NOT all Standards' btw) suspension originally is!

It's called as a 'swing-arm' suspension abroad, it is caused by the tranverse rear leaf-spring (kamaan.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
@ Shyam: So shall we look forward to another restoration thread heralding high Standards ?? Waiting, waiting !!
Hehe.....maybe ravi. But DONT hold your breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post

When lowering the tyre it always catches the edge of the "skirting" under the rear bumper.

How I miss my KLV 33
Ram,
Yes I do remember you mentioning KLV 33 before. I also remember ajay mentioning that the car had been scrapped by the last owner barely 7-8 years ago? Sad indeed! If only we had tbhp then...!
I presume it had the 'mk3 style' roof btw, despite being a mk2 (2-door)?
And it was phantom grey in colour? 'would've looked like this I presume:

Standard cars in India-ch-2321.jpg

Pic. courtesy, Cedric (sabinesnubbing(?))

Last edited by Stanher : 10th August 2010 at 19:45.
Old 10th August 2010, 21:25   #1192
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:

Ram,
Yes I do remember you mentioning KLV 33 before. I also remember ajay mentioning that the car had been scrapped by the last owner barely 7-8 years ago? Sad indeed! If only we had tbhp then...!
I presume it had the 'mk3 style' roof btw, despite being a mk2 (2-door)?
And it was phantom grey in colour? 'would've looked like this I presume:

Attachment 403494

Pic. courtesy, Cedric (sabinesnubbing(?))
Shyam,

Almost!

Only it never had any add ons. My dad never liked any extra fittings (even I am kind of like that)

Colour was Phantom Grey as well. It always had narrow white wall tyres as well.

Any way this one brings back a lot of nostalgia.

Thanks.

Ram
Old 14th August 2010, 09:58   #1193
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
but the car requires a lot of restoration work like the bangalore one.
I saw the pictures of the Trivandrum car in a garage. Need a lot of work. It is a Phase 2 Estate 1953-55

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
That's a nice find KPS. Vanguards surprisingly haven't survived in India and are now rarely seen. Estates are pretty rare the world over. This would be a late Series 1A or a Series 2 Estate. Seems very well preserved too. Will turn out very well in the right hands. Possibly the roof section was modified locally by the owner, though neatly executed.
Yes confirmed as a Phase 1A, produced Jan-July1952 as per the Chassis #. The roof is also original aluminium panel type. The mascot is wrong and currently has a Studebaker Commander Mascot on the bonnet.

Karl says that this is a very rare estate and few survive as per his correspondence with the Standard Motor Club

Cheers

KPS

Last edited by KPS : 14th August 2010 at 10:00.
Old 14th August 2010, 10:11   #1194
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Karl says that this is a very rare estate and few survive as per his correspondence with the Standard Motor Club
True, it is one of 3 currently known cars according to the Club, but more will pop up I'm sure. In the case of Vanguards though, rare doesn't usually mean desirable to many enthusiasts, though times are changing, and I hope this car will be well restored, it certainly deserves it.

In the mean time, a nice single owner Super 10 has been recently acquired here

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/2025664-post335.html
Old 14th August 2010, 18:40   #1195
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
In the case of Vanguards though, rare doesn't usually mean desirable to many enthusiasts
The main reason that I did not show interest in this car.

Cheers
Old 16th August 2010, 13:12   #1196
BHPian

Dear Friends, Can any one advice me how much will it cost for a 63 model standard companion (station wagon) in good condition. I am planing to buy one for which, the guy is asking 80k.
Old 16th August 2010, 19:15   #1197
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renjit View Post
Dear Friends, Can any one advice me how much will it cost for a 63 model standard companion (station wagon) in good condition. I am planing to buy one for which, the guy is asking 80k.
Well, 'good condition' may be really subjective for each individual!

Final price depends on the level of originality, also prsent condition, what is done/to be done etc.

I have pics. of a very original one-owner companion in TN, which might serve as a guide. But cant upload them because my system at home is down right now (typing from a net cafe!)
'will do so once its back in order.
Old 17th August 2010, 13:36   #1198
BHPian

Quote:
Well, 'good condition' may be really subjective for each individual!

Final price depends on the level of originality, also prsent condition, what is done/to be done etc.

I have pics. of a very original one-owner companion in TN, which might serve as a guide. But cant upload them because my system at home is down right now (typing from a net cafe!)
'will do so once its back in order.
Thank you for the info. The car is in good condition, needs painting and have 90% originality. What is ur openion about standard companion? i dont have any clue about standard cars, but want to have one in my collection.
Old 17th August 2010, 14:07   #1199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renjit View Post
Thank you for the info. The car is in good condition, needs painting and have 90% originality. What is ur openion about standard companion? i dont have any clue about standard cars, but want to have one in my collection.
you must be probably talking abt the garage owner narayanans companion from Tamilnadu.it has some tinkering work (as per my info).Standard companion is rarer compared to Sedan but still it is not a sought after classic like say a Morris minor or a Hindustan 14.
Old 22nd September 2010, 22:19   #1200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
similar 1952 standard vanguard estate is available in kerala with original engine.
asking price is only Rs.60000/-(negotiable)
Ajay, i am interested. Can you post some snaps if you have any.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks