Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2010, 21:11   #1156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Thanks Salman bhai for the link to the owner. Maybe i can try my luck. BTW IIRC i had contacted you before regarding the parts shop location in Lalbagh. I hope you recall.
@Stanher: Ok so you got me. Its confirmed that bumpers are indeed fiat ones. Well as wbd8779 stated, the manager of the bank is unwilling to part with it, so there is very minimal chance of myself acquiring this car. But will give it a try slowly and steadily.
Well i will be in Lko by the end of the month we can try together ! there is another Herald in the garage opp to Buddha park , the guy also has a old Fiat Dukkar and a Classic BMW.
Old 28th June 2010, 21:42   #1157
Senior - BHPian

Hey thats great to hear. BTW the Herald you are talking of along with all the other classics are parked opposite the Convention center just parallel to the railway line na. I think the name of the garage is Genral motor garage. Would love to accompany you.
Old 28th June 2010, 23:54   #1158
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Rear hubcap is from a Herald.
On a closer look, even the front hubcaps seems to be so, with just a dent in the centre, making it confusingly look like the OHH REE GEE NAL 'dimpled' hubcaps that Gazels came with, as in this pic.:

Standard cars in India-ghubcap.jpg

Last edited by Stanher : 28th June 2010 at 23:56.
Old 2nd July 2010, 23:02   #1159
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Me not a Standard guru but the car outwardly looks original. The front and rear bumpers are borrowed from the 1960's Fiats.The Gazel bumpers were plain without the guards, but with a prominent central edged portion running all through the length of both the bumpers.
Sorry for the super-quick reply, but happened to read this post only now!

'would like to just clarify that the early Gazels had the full-length chrome bumpers without guards, as you described, but the later ones (as this car sagar posted) did have guards, and the bumpers were both painted (and IMHO less attractive), the very last models again having only the rear bumper chromed:

http://www.standardmotorclub.org.uk/...el/ameet01.JPG

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...y-gazelbro.jpg

http://www.aronline.co.uk/images/standard_gazel_02.jpg
Old 3rd July 2010, 22:08   #1160
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Had spotted this restored Herald a couple of years back in Mumbai (Juhu). Standadr guru's will be able to identify the exact model.
Attached Thumbnails
Standard cars in India-herald.jpg  

Old 3rd July 2010, 22:27   #1161
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Had spotted this restored Herald a couple of years back in Mumbai (Juhu). Standadr guru's will be able to identify the exact model.
Again before handing over the mike to Shyam can affirm that this is the oldest version of the Standard Herald when it appeared in 1960- in fact a replica of the Triumph Herald before its Indianisation from 1966.
v12 the car however is in an "aam aadmi" environment as appears from the background.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 3rd July 2010 at 22:34.
Old 3rd July 2010, 22:29   #1162
BHPian

This Ensign is a regular participant in Mangalore rally,
Sorry , no more photo's
Attached Thumbnails
Standard cars in India-20100126mrep55.jpg  

Standard cars in India-daya_012609_ganrj68.jpg  

Old 3rd July 2010, 22:35   #1163
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishpv View Post
This Ensign is a regular participant in Mangalore rally,
Sorry , no more photo's
How is the car badged as an Ensign?

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 3rd July 2010 at 22:36.
Old 3rd July 2010, 22:42   #1164
BHPian

No idea sir, I was less interested in chop job cars
Old 3rd July 2010, 22:44   #1165
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Well, from what I can see, it's a mk1, the headlamp chrome ring I can see peeking out at the front. I cant zoom in on this pic. but looksl ike it has a later date regn.?
I hope the front quarterglasses are to be fitted though!

Quote:
Again before handing over the mike to Shyam can affirm that this is the oldest version of the Standard Herald when it appeared in 1960- in fact a replica of the Triumph Herald before its Indianisation from 1966.
v12 the car however is in an "aam aadmi" environment as appears from the background.
Anjan, how could you affirm that it's an early (1960-61) mk1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishpv View Post
This Ensign is a regular participant in Mangalore rally, Sorry , no more photo's
Quote:
How is the car badged as an Ensign?
Haha! This isnt an Ensign, its a good ol' Herald only!

Standard Motors (Madras) had actually been very creative with the Herald- they apparently were handed down a leftover stock of "ENSIGN" badges (used on the Standard Ensign, which never made it to India) from Standard, UK. So they modified them by fixing an aluminium plate with a 'Standard' badge fitted on top, riveting it over the original "Ensign" badge, and fitted on the bonnets of the Heralds!

Here is one such bonnet badge showing the Indigenous "Standard" script on top......

Standard cars in India-img_6605.jpg

And the original "ENSIGN" lettering on the bottom....

Standard cars in India-img_6606.jpg

'hope that's clear now!

Last edited by Stanher : 3rd July 2010 at 22:46.
Old 3rd July 2010, 23:04   #1166
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Here are more pics of the car, shot around 3 years ago. Asking price then was around a lakh.
Attached Thumbnails
Standard cars in India-cabrio30.jpg  

Standard cars in India-cabrio31.jpg  

Standard cars in India-cabrio32.jpg  

Standard cars in India-cabrio33.jpg  

Old 3rd July 2010, 23:04   #1167
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Well, from what I can see, it's a mk1, the headlamp chrome ring I can see peeking out at the front. I cant zoom in on this pic. but looksl ike it has a later date regn.?
I hope the front quarterglasses are to be fitted though!

Anjan, how could you affirm that it's an early (1960-61) mk1?

Haha! This isnt an Ensign, its a good ol' Herald only!

Standard Motors (Madras) had actually been very creative with the Herald- they apparently were handed down a leftover stock of "ENSIGN" badges (used on the Standard Ensign, which never made it to India) from Standard, UK. So they modified them by fixing an aluminium plate with a 'Standard' badge fitted on top, riveting it over the original "Ensign" badge, and fitted on the bonnets of the Heralds!

Here is one such bonnet badge showing the Indigenous "Standard" script on top......

'hope that's clear now!
Shyam it is a 1960-66 model- meant it was from the oldest design.The chrome headlight ring too helped me slot it here. I think the dash and other finer details (guru's domain) will be helpful in ascertaining the exact year.
Thanks for the Ensign information.Never knew much about it.
Old 3rd July 2010, 23:06   #1168
BHPian

Thanks Shyam and Anjan sir.....for the information
Old 3rd July 2010, 23:28   #1169
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Here are more pics of the car, shot around 3 years ago. Asking price then was around a lakh.
going by the dash, it's indeed an early (1960-62) Herald!!!
Full marks to anjan!!

And incidentally, this car's regn. and the non-original (taken from a Gazel) bonnet badge rings a bell- I remember having seen this very car put up for sale in Autocar India around year 2000. It was pista green and far more original, with roof intact back then (painted white), and asking price was 50k. I remember having thought it high at that time (which it was of course!)

A pity it's come to this condition now! Especially considering its a rare early Herald- the dash is thankfully 'unmolested' and sure worth having though!!
Old 4th July 2010, 23:04   #1170
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
going by the dash, it's indeed an early (1960-62) Herald!!!
Full marks to anjan!!

And incidentally, this car's regn. and the non-original (taken from a Gazel) bonnet badge rings a bell- I remember having seen this very car put up for sale in Autocar India around year 2000. It was pista green and far more original, with roof intact back then (painted white), and asking price was 50k. I remember having thought it high at that time (which it was of course!)

A pity it's come to this condition now! Especially considering its a rare early Herald- the dash is thankfully 'unmolested' and sure worth having though!!
Thanks Shyam but mine was a total guess work. Neither I had seen the speedo/dash nor could we see a two tone colour (pista green and white) that were characteristic of the earlier ones.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks