Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2010, 16:32   #1081
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Found these "Double Standards" here:

Picasa Web Albums - kkrish99
Wow, that green car is a 'sliding' 8 - the door glasses slide open. A very early car.
Old 24th March 2010, 17:27   #1082
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Found these "Double Standards" here:

Picasa Web Albums - kkrish99
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Wow, that green car is a 'sliding' 8 - the door glasses slide open. A very early car.
That makes it the 2nd known/surviving Standard 8 in India, the first one I encountered being in Madurai also in TN!

I wish I could get my hands on this one, it does look like its badly in need of a better home!!
Old 30th March 2010, 05:30   #1083
BHPian

Mark 3

Karl/Shyam the paperwork has been finally completed on the car and it driven around briskly to keep it going, mechanically the car is running well and the brakes have been overhalled. So now am ready to start the cosmetic restoration so am looking to get pointers on what needs to be fixed and parts that need to be procured. Intent is to keep the same color so would like to know what this shade would be called or a reference in some color scheme. Shyam is there a possibility of sourcing some engine mounts, the guy does not seem to know what will work as a viable replacement. Also if you point into what is original and what is not that would help a lot as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Standard cars in India-11.jpg  

Standard cars in India-12.jpg  

Standard cars in India-14.jpg  

Standard cars in India-15.jpg  

Old 30th March 2010, 10:48   #1084
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pune_Bike View Post
So now am ready to start the cosmetic restoration so am looking to get pointers on what needs to be fixed and parts that need to be procured. Intent is to keep the same color so would like to know what this shade would be called or a reference in some color scheme. Shyam is there a possibility of sourcing some engine mounts, the guy does not seem to know what will work as a viable replacement. Also if you point into what is original and what is not that would help a lot as well.
Hey Vrushant, sorry forgot to reply to your pm!
Glad to see the car in better shape now! Yes, the same colour would look good on it- it is called Conifer Green in the official standard catalogue. The names would of course vary from company to company and those are what we'd have to go by now.
Tell you what, you can have the engine mounts I got! I can always get myself more!
Do let me know the address to send it to.

The front parking lights are not original. It's supposed to have these ones:

Standard cars in India-mk301.jpg

Standard cars in India-mk3slight.jpg

Ironically, I had a brand new pair with me a few years ago, gave them to a friend who owns a mk1 Herald here- he still hasnt fitted them on, 'wish I hadnt given him those!

I dont know how easily these can be had in Pune though. If not, they can be had in the UK (the code name is Lucas L595)
I should also have a Standard badge for the boot.

Also how come the headlight housing panel on the left is still missing? Werent you able to get the NOS one that Karl had?

I had a used pair of these too lying in our old house years ago (sold since, so they got lost during the shifting!)

Last edited by Stanher : 30th March 2010 at 10:52.
Old 30th March 2010, 11:06   #1085
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
The front parking lights are not original. It's supposed to have these ones:

Attachment 318348

Attachment 318349

Ironically, I had a brand new pair with me a few years ago, gave them to a friend who owns a mk1 Herald here- he still hasnt fitted them on, 'wish I hadnt given him those!
These parking lights I saw with Jadsons, need to check again now. The round ones seems like that of Fiat. What say Shyam?
Old 31st March 2010, 07:42   #1086
BHPian

@Manish, would appreciate it if you let me know if they are available and for how much.
@Shyam you are very kind to offer me the mounts but I could not do that knowing those are your only pair and may need it, but any leads would be awesome, will be sending you a mail with more questions on the parts as well.
Old 31st March 2010, 12:37   #1087
Distinguished - BHPian

Good to see the car up and about. Regarding the colour, your best bet would be to get your painter to match the current shade. Remove the headlamp surround and hand it over to the painter to create a match. Fret not, I have the missing one with me. Will dig it out when you start painting.

Quote:
Also how come the headlight housing panel on the left is still missing? Werent you able to get the NOS one that Karl had?
Old 31st March 2010, 16:19   #1088
BHPian

Hii there

Pune_bike, The owner of the Purple Herald has been collecting spares for his Herald, so he could guide you to the places he has been sourcing his spares from, Pm me your cell no.
Regards Ed.
Old 1st April 2010, 08:39   #1089
BHPian

original turn lights

Guys saw some old pics of when the car was brought home and the original lights were removed and the guy put in these ones, see the pic below, he tossed the originals. Just my luck.
@Egangsta if you could PM me the Herald owners contact information would like to get in touch with him.
@Manish if you find them please let me know
@Shyam thanks for the info
Attached Thumbnails
Standard cars in India-i15215.jpg  

Old 7th April 2010, 00:01   #1090
Distinguished - BHPian

I've been in touch with Max Derrez, a gent from Holland, who's into making scale models, including a neat one of the Standard Gazel, which can be seen in his website:

Gazel

He's very much interested in the Indian Standard cars, and intends to make scale models of a few others of them as well. He recently sent me these pics. taken by a Dutchman on a visit to India around 1984, of a 1969-70 4-door Herald (mk3) Companion, a short-lived station-wagon form of the mk3. And also- a real surprise- a prototype developed by Standard Motors (Madras) around that time, seemingly based on a car called the Simca/Talbot Horizon:

Chrysler Horizon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

- it was a rear drive car with leaf springs on the rear, also badged and sold as a Chrysler in the USA with front wheel drive.
This particular car seemed to have been on road, going by the TN regn., and may have been bought second-hand by Stampro for experimenting with the idea (note the Standard badge on the grille) of producing maybe a locally-made replica? 'looks like a rather nice car IMHO, even better that the 2000. 'wonder why it never made it into production though. Although I'm guessing the possible reasons of that period, being the same time when the Govt. had introduced Maruti.

Although I'm told these pics. seem to have been taken at the Standard Motors factory itself, the signboard says "Registered Office", which may have been their main dealership at 29, Mount Road in Madras. Besides, the presence of other cars at the place indicate it was some sort of general service-station/garage rather than the Standard factory itself.

Standard cars in India-mk3com.jpg

Standard cars in India-horizon.jpg
Stanher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2010, 09:54   #1091
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
And also- a real surprise- a prototype developed by Standard Motors (Madras) around that time, seemingly based on a car called the Simca/Talbot Horizon:
Now this is indeed a surprise. Anybody else remember this? Mr. Ananth, are you reading this?
Old 7th April 2010, 10:47   #1092
Senior - BHPian

A Standard Penant from trichur
Attached Thumbnails
Standard cars in India-1.jpg  

Standard cars in India-2.jpg  

Standard cars in India-3.jpg  

Standard cars in India-5.jpg  

Standard cars in India-4.jpg  

Old 7th April 2010, 14:32   #1093
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
I think this car belongs to one Devasy and it is up for sale.
waas asking eighty grand at that time.
The tail lamps seems to be taken from selectfiat
Old 7th April 2010, 18:50   #1094
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
ChettAn, this is NOT a Pennant, but an earlier model, known as Super 10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by classico View Post
I think this car belongs to one Devasy and it is up for sale.
waas asking eighty grand at that time.
The tail lamps seems to be taken from selectfiat
Tail-lamps are from the ELEGANT a.k.a Centrelight.

I wonder if the fiat guys see this!
Old 9th April 2010, 09:45   #1095
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
He recently sent me these pics. taken by a Dutchman on a visit to India around 1984 - a prototype developed by Standard Motors (Madras) around that time, seemingly based on a car called the Simca/Talbot Horizon:

- it was a rear drive car with leaf springs on the rear, also badged and sold as a Chrysler in the USA with front wheel drive.
This particular car seemed to have been on road, going by the TN regn., and may have been bought second-hand by Stampro for experimenting with the idea (note the Standard badge on the grille)

Attachment 323938
Some more info. on this car- turns out it was badged as a Standard ENSIGN(!!)- that's what the badges on the rear are.

Standard cars in India-india-proto-ensign-horizon.jpg

Also the roof line differs from the Simca Horizon, the car has RWD and leaf springs, and front & bonnet also differed from the Horizon. The rest is surely Horizon.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks