Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2010, 00:33   #1021
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
In keeping with my goal on always meeting new standards (), here are a couple I met, although one of them isn't really "new" to me! Incidentally, note that this Herald has been modified with twin leaf-spring and a rigid beam axle suspension, taken either from a Standard 10 or Fiat, most likely the former. A common mod done on Heralds those days, to rid them of the constant problems of the original swing axle halfshafts breaking apart/loosening. The leaf spring set-up on the left is partly visible (arrowed) in the pic. of the rear. This also makes the rear wheels lose their characteristic "tuck-in" when stationary.
Shyam,
1) The Herald looks neat and clean.. could be a great project for an enthusiast !

2) I'm not a herald guru, but isn't it a good idea to do the aforementioned mod ? Not only will it make the herald more friendly for use, but also as can be seen, it makes the posture without the "tuck-in" look more elegant and purposeful.. My two bits, I could be wrong

3) Finally, let me compliment you on your posts related to standard sightings - they are a delight to read - almost the stuff mystery thrillers are made of - and the picture you draw with your words, virtually takes the reader to that very location.. Whenever I see a looong post in this thread, I know I'm going to be glued !!
The passion with which you write about heralds is most infectious, buddy- keep it up !

Someday you could write a book on "Herald sightings in Hyderabad and beyond"..
It would be a neat coffee table volume, with great photographs. Where do I book my order ?

Last edited by SuperSelect : 21st January 2010 at 00:35.
Old 21st January 2010, 01:28   #1022
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Shyam,
1) The Herald looks neat and clean.. could be a great project for an enthusiast !
Indeed! Hard to find a Herald with such a clean body! Even the bonnet sits straight in line! 'won't be surprised if she happened to be a 1-owner car too. And yessir, she'd be just right for "an enthusiast!" Hehe!
Incidentally, seeing this car has made me wish my dad too owned something like this in those days.......! :sigh:
Oh, and I forgot to mention- my first car was a similar one, in the same colour too (although done up by me!)

Quote:
'm not a herald guru, but isn't it a good idea to do the aforementioned mod ? Not only will it make the herald more friendly for use, but also as can be seen, it makes the posture without the "tuck-in" look more elegant and purposeful.. My two bits, I could be wrong
I welcome any point you have to offer, Ravi...BUT, I forgot to add sorry, that it was eventually found to be not all what it could appear to be....as my mech. told me that while it solved the rear axle problem, the handling would be gone forever, and making a turn would be real cumbersome unlike the Herald's original larger and easier turning circle.....the whole thing not being engineered, was bound to not work too effectively. Besides, I've also observed on some such cars that it increases the stance at the rear, which makes the Herald lose it's elegance too- of course in the case of this car, it may not be noticeable because the car has been laid up so long. So the suspension probably "bait gaya" as they say.
Incidentally, I suspect the owner of this car could be one of my mech's previous customers, as he did tell me he and his then "ustad" had once modified a few Heralds this way, one of which was a black one...but he doesn't remember if it was this car when we saw it. Oh well, whoever it is, I hope he is around there....my worst fear being that this car would be an 'orphaned' one!

Quote:
Finally, let me compliment you on your posts related to standard sightings - they are a delight to read - almost the stuff mystery thrillers are made of - and the picture you draw with your words, virtually takes the reader to that very location.. Whenever I see a looong post in this thread, I know I'm going to be glued !!
The passion with which you write about heralds is most infectious, buddy- keep it up !
Someday you could write a book on "Herald sightings in Hyderabad and beyond"..It would be a neat coffee table volume, with great photographs. Where do I book my order ?
Why thank you, sir! :bow:
That was a compliment I would always cherish- and a good idea too! Yes, why not put this seriously onto paper and give a shot at authoring? I could use the royalty no doubt! And how!

Last edited by Stanher : 21st January 2010 at 01:31.
Old 22nd January 2010, 09:01   #1023
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Shyam - During my college days, I used to go to my college library (VJTI Mumbai University), sit for hours and read. My college had original Autocar / Motor magazines as old as 1959, all bound into black folders. Recently, I happened to visit my college again. I enquired with the librarian whether the magazines would be still there. First I got the standard reply that everything was thrown out but after a little bit of probing, I went to the archives section. All the folders are still there. I just opened a 1967 folder to some page and saw the original advertisements of the Triumph Heralds, saloons and station wagons. I am sure you will be delighted to see them. This is only for your information. I'll photograph them on my mobile next time I happen to go there, but whenI go there is the big question.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 26th January 2010, 10:57   #1024
Distinguished - BHPian

On my recent trip to Delhi I came across this lovely early Standard, of Dimpy Kapoor. The car has been a regular prize winner in the Statesman rallies over the years, and been with him since the 70s or 80s. He proudly tells me everything works including all meters and lights

Standard cars in India-01.jpg

Standard cars in India-02.jpg

Standard cars in India-03.jpg

Standard cars in India-04.jpg

Standard cars in India-06.jpg

Standard cars in India-05.jpg

Standard cars in India-07.jpg

Standard cars in India-08.jpg
Old 6th February 2010, 20:19   #1025
Team-BHP Support

Spotted this very nice and well maintained Standard Herald at Bangalore Club a few days back.
Attached Thumbnails
Standard cars in India-050220101335.jpg  

Standard cars in India-050220101336.jpg  

Standard cars in India-050220101337.jpg  

Last edited by suhaas307 : 6th February 2010 at 20:22.
Old 6th February 2010, 20:33   #1026
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Spotted this very nice and well maintained Standard Herald at Bangalore Club a few days back.
Wow!! Looks so Elegant.

Stanher: Do you know her??
Old 6th February 2010, 22:56   #1027
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
Wow!! Looks so Elegant.

Stanher: Do you know her??
Need you ask, arun?!

Here she is, spotted by another bhpian long ago:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/905984-post383.html

Nice to see more pics. of the same car! Very original, tidy car indeed! The dash from what I can make out, seems to be imported; it appears to be from a Triumph Herald 13/60:

http://www.rm8.org.uk/philw/cars/her...rd1april07.jpg

None of the Indian Heralds had a dash like this.

As I'd commented back then too, it would've looked even better had it been either just red or black, or with just the roof painted black. Anyways, atleast it's in good hands!
Old 7th February 2010, 14:37   #1028
BHPian

Standard Flying 8

I have just got a Standard Flying 8 for restoration. This is a single owner car and it was previously in Mumbai, but for the last few decades in Delhi. I am uploading a few photographs.
Attached Thumbnails
Standard cars in India-phone-photographs-059.jpg  

Standard cars in India-phone-photographs-060.jpg  

Standard cars in India-phone-photographs-061.jpg  

Standard cars in India-phone-photographs-062.jpg  

Standard cars in India-phone-photographs-063.jpg  

Standard cars in India-phone-photographs-064.jpg  

Standard cars in India-phone-photographs-065.jpg  

Old 7th February 2010, 14:56   #1029
Senior - BHPian

Nice lookin car, looks eminently restorable with all the important stuff still on it.

What is the history of this car and what colour are you planing for it?
Old 7th February 2010, 15:06   #1030
BHPian

the red&black was originally white its an single owner till couple of years the old man lives on ulsoor road it used to be the best herald once but the wheel caps doesent go well with her
Old 7th February 2010, 15:41   #1031
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Nice lookin car, looks eminently restorable with all the important stuff still on it.

What is the history of this car and what colour are you planing for it?
Understand that this car belonged to the same family who own it now from the beginning. It was purchased by the present owners father who was in Bombay then. The colour etc.have not yet been finalized by the owner.
Old 7th February 2010, 20:36   #1032
Senior - BHPian

the car is in a really bad state. is the hood chopped off?? if yes why...for making it a convertible or something else??
Old 7th February 2010, 21:51   #1033
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.B.Jatti View Post
I have just got a Standard Flying 8 for restoration. This is a single owner car and it was previously in Mumbai, but for the last few decades in Delhi. I am uploading a few photographs.
Congrats! Car may be restorable, but I'd agree with amit that it is likely to have had its roof chopped off, going by the middle pillars after the doors. How's the mechanical condition?

OT: Some of you may remember this Herald I'd once posted:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/967562-post486.html

I'd been to the gentleman's place today, more than a month after I last met him, to meet one of his sons for the first time, who told me that his father had passed away of a cardiac arrest last month!

Sad! May his soul Rest In Peace! The car still lies in the same spot, looks like it was recently cleaned up. He said the battery was dead and was given for charging though. He did say he was making arrangements for the house to be taken care of while his mother stayed with him (all the children stay elsewhere and the old couple lived alone) although I'm not sure what's to be decided of the car! I really feel it is orphaned now! The old gent had taken care of it like his own child, never wanted to part with it. Incidentally, its the same car in my avtaar as well.
'hope for the best now though!

Last edited by Stanher : 7th February 2010 at 22:04.
Old 7th February 2010, 22:16   #1034
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit V8 View Post
the car is in a really bad state. is the hood chopped off?? if yes why...for making it a convertible or something else??
I do-not think the hood is chopped off.
Old 7th February 2010, 22:46   #1035
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.B.Jatti View Post
I do-not think the hood is chopped off.
I think it does! Look closely and you'll see that the chop-off looks quite shoddy. The base of the B-pillar is still present and the work around the rear and top half above the windscreen suggests that it's a chop-off job!

I hope the mechanical condition is okay. It would be very sad if this ends up as a write-off and I have this uncanny feeling that it's going to be! Sigh!

EDIT: I'm guessing that after the chop-off job, the car lost it's structural rigidity and this became quite apparent to the owner/mechanic and decided to scrap it.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 7th February 2010 at 22:50.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks