Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2008, 17:21   #451

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Yes please, thank you!! You neednt ask me at all!
Curse that rear suspension issue of the Herald!!! I love the shape of this thing!! And I want one!!! But only if it is MK1....The later ones were just plain ugly!!
Old 28th August 2008, 18:23   #452
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Curse that rear suspension issue of the Herald!!! I love the shape of this thing!! And I want one!!! But only if it is MK1....The later ones were just plain ugly!!
If the rear suspension is the only issue, then of course the best known alternative would be to fit TVS lock-nut bolts on the half-shafts.
In any case, you'd hardly use a car like that too often so it shouldnt be much of a bother- it was different in the days when people used them regularly.

Or if that's really unbearable for you, you can get a standard 10 rear axle fitted onto it. Which means you also change the rear spring set-up to the ones as on most other cars (inc. fiats)

That'll give the car an ungraceful stance from the rear and also make turnings a real pain!
Old 28th August 2008, 22:44   #453

Quote:
If the rear suspension is the only issue, then of course the best known alternative would be to fit TVS lock-nut bolts on the half-shafts.
In any case, you'd hardly use a car like that too often so it shouldnt be much of a bother- it was different in the days when people used them regularly.

Or if that's really unbearable for you, you can get a standard 10 rear axle fitted onto it. Which means you also change the rear spring set-up to the ones as on most other cars (inc. fiats)

That'll give the car an ungraceful stance from the rear and also make turnings a real pain!
...And Standard 10 Axles grow on tress dont they!! or do Standard 10's Grow on trees?? If they do, could you guide me towards where!!
Old 28th August 2008, 23:03   #454
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
...And Standard 10 Axles grow on tress dont they!! or do Standard 10's Grow on trees?? If they do, could you guide me towards where!!
If they do grow that way and even faster than your nose did, forget about guiding you, I'd like to be guided there myself!

Jokes apart, it shouldnt be too difficult to get one of those down south.

Or else just forget all that and adapt the lock-nut bolts. Baat khallas!
Old 30th August 2008, 00:02   #455
Senior - BHPian

found pictures of this standard herald convertible that was being worked on. Stanher Karl for you.
Attached Thumbnails
Standard cars in India-scan0005.jpg  

Old 30th August 2008, 15:00   #456
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
found pictures of this standard herald convertible that was being worked on. Stanher Karl for you.
Thanks speedy. Although I doubt if its an original convertible- there werent really any such ones here.

Where did you take this pic.? Incidentally there was another one in a similar colour combo in pune- karl showed it to me- collecting dust in an apartment parking lot, wheels all went missing after some time and the car was on stones/bricks. It had an MRY 2*** regn.

Also nice to see the MG magnette pics. although unfortunately theyve been steered into the wrong thread!
Old 30th August 2008, 15:52   #457
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks speedy. Although I doubt if its an original convertible- there werent really any such ones here.

Where did you take this pic.? Incidentally there was another one in a similar colour combo in pune- karl showed it to me- collecting dust in an apartment parking lot, wheels all went missing after some time and the car was on stones/bricks. It had an MRY 2*** regn.

Also nice to see the MG magnette pics. although unfortunately theyve been steered into the wrong thread!
this was in delhi. it is a 1962 convertible and an original one not chopped. the car was for sale at the time and had met the owners too. the car was in a garage and the person there had removed some parts as he wanted it due to it being rare.
Old 30th August 2008, 16:11   #458
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
this was in delhi. it is a 1962 convertible and an original one not chopped. the car was for sale at the time and had met the owners too. the car was in a garage and the person there had removed some parts as he wanted it due to it being rare.
Oh..ok.

Even then, convertibles were not originally mass produced here, I havent found a single one existing. However some were professionally converted to cabrios by a dealer in bombay. I know 2 heralds here with that kind of job.

Any idea if the car is still there? Also I see another herald (mk2) and an old fiat- do they sitll exist?
Old 30th August 2008, 16:24   #459
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh..ok.

Even then, convertibles were not originally mass produced here, I havent found a single one existing. However some were professionally converted to cabrios by a dealer in bombay. I know 2 heralds here with that kind of job.

Any idea if the car is still there? Also I see another herald (mk2) and an old fiat- do they sitll exist?
yes you are right but the papers also showed convertible and the car if i remember right was an import not sure. this was an original, no job or conversion done on it. we had checked and re checked to find out. the owners were old and could not manage the harrasment of the garage guy so decided on selling it.
except the volvo the other cars are long gone. the place where the cars would stand has been taken by the government. the same garage the guy used to have two mustangs one ford galaxy, fiat 500, moris minors.
Old 30th August 2008, 18:08   #460
Distinguished - BHPian

Well speedy, in that case, sad that the car is gone!

Anyways, here is another sneak peek on my pennant- first coat of paint has been sprayed, just the upper half- trying to find the right shade of blue for the lower half. I'm not touching the interior, barring the insides of the doors/doorframes.

'should be done in the next 3-4 days.
Attached Thumbnails
Standard cars in India-img_1239.jpg  

Standard cars in India-img_1242.jpg  

Standard cars in India-img_1244.jpg  

Old 30th August 2008, 19:00   #461
BHPian

Nice to see your car, where is the location of this workshop where it is getting paint. Let me know the address, painter contact no, if possible.
I am looking for reliable painter, denter to start work on M8 in Oct. but must do perfect job. Approximately how much paint job is costing you for your car, just for an idea.
Old 31st August 2008, 03:21   #462
Senior - BHPian

Shyam, your pennant's looking great ! Can't wait to see her ready, keep posting pictures.
Old 31st August 2008, 09:18   #463
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Shyam, your pennant's looking great ! Can't wait to see her ready, keep posting pictures.
Thanks ravi!

Yes I sure will, watch this space!
Old 31st August 2008, 10:25   #464
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Anyways, here is another sneak peek on my pennant- first coat of paint has been sprayed, just the upper half- trying to find the right shade of blue for the lower half. I'm not touching the interior, barring the insides of the doors/doorframes.
Nice to see progess Shyam. Im a little concerned with the colour of the white/off-white. It seems much lighter and more stark than the original, or is the photo playing tricks on me?
Old 31st August 2008, 10:59   #465
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Nice to see progess Shyam. Im a little concerned with the colour of the white/off-white. It seems much lighter and more stark than the original, or is the photo playing tricks on me?
Haha, dont worry!
They said this is the first/base coat hence its this light. The original (arctic white) is much more of a creamish shade (like what it was earlier) so that'll appear in the final coat.
Incidentally, I'll try to go take a peek today and see if theyve got the blue as well (planning to make that a little lighter though), they'll be open only until 1pm today though, so 'better rush!

Most Viewed