Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2008, 15:38   #346
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
If im not mistaken, this is an OE fitment to the Gazel (not Gazelle).
Nope I'm afraid Cyrus is right- thats a fiat air-cleaner. The original Gazel one looks like this (see pic.)
It also was a wet/oil-bath type.
Our Gazel too had one until around 1987 when it was replaced with a fiat one, I remember it being done in front of my eyes!
Attached Thumbnails
Standard cars in India-sg24.jpg  

Old 10th May 2008, 00:13   #347
BHPian

StanHer,
What colors have you decided on? I remember reading that you wanted a two tone color scheme.
Old 10th May 2008, 03:08   #348

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Nope I'm afraid Cyrus is right- thats a fiat air-cleaner. The original Gazel one looks like this (see pic.)
It also was a wet/oil-bath type.
Our Gazel too had one until around 1987 when it was replaced with a fiat one, I remember it being done in front of my eyes!
So Does that mean that the Fiat and the Gazelle run on the same Carbs??
Old 10th May 2008, 11:31   #349
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA View Post
So Does that mean that the Fiat and the Gazelle run on the same Carbs??
Uh, I'm not sure bout that. I think our Gazel had the carb. also changed to a fiat one. I'll just go check up on it.

@jayD chettAn, this is the colour I'm planning to paint my Herald.

http://www.cartype.com/images/page/T...rochure_63.jpg

Picasa Web Albums - RedSimon - Car Heads and...

TRIUMPH HERALD 13/60 GREEN/WHITE on eBay, also, Triumph, Classic Cars, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 05-May-08 15:15:27 BST)

Reason? Mainly because this was the original colour/s the car was in. Later painted in what looks like a green-tinged white (I remember Vijai Super sccooters came in such a colour- maybe one of the previous owners had one of those, so...)

befoe the last owner artistically hand-painted it white all over!

Anyway the paint-scraping has begun atlast. Glad that horrible paint job is going now. Here's for some more eye-candy:
Attached Thumbnails
Standard cars in India-img_0587.jpg  

Last edited by Stanher : 10th May 2008 at 11:39.
Old 10th May 2008, 13:23   #350

Thats a very nice color scheme indeed. Makes it looks classical and contemporary!! Forget the big words..Just makes it look COOL!!
Old 10th May 2008, 14:10   #351
BHPian

beautiful color scheme! I wanted to suggest the same and my second option would have been light/powder blue against white.
Old 10th May 2008, 15:44   #352
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for your kind words, guys! My second option (worst case if the correct shade isnt available) would be signal red & white:

http://www.thebritbox.com/New%20Ads%...Herald1200.jpg

Another option on early Heralds, the third one being "winchester blue" and white (which happened to be the colour of Karl's grandpa's herald
Attached Thumbnails
Standard cars in India-movie01.bmp.jpg  

Old 10th May 2008, 16:01   #353
Team-BHP Support

dark green or the blue combo is better compared to the sober green
Old 11th May 2008, 00:20   #354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
@jayD chettAn, this is the colour I'm planning to paint my Herald.
Chettaa!!! The green and white combo looks awesomee!!!
btw, just a silly question. Is it possible somehow to get the coupe roof for the car? Since this one is detachable, couldn't we just remove this and bolt the coupe one on??
Attached Thumbnails
Standard cars in India-1.jpg  

Standard cars in India-2.jpg  

Old 11th May 2008, 02:13   #355

I have never seen that roof ever!! That a sweet Coupe!! Also, Isnt the Green and white the Same color combo that is on Karls Standard 10?
Old 11th May 2008, 09:35   #356
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Chettaa!!! The green and white combo looks awesomee!!!
btw, just a silly question. Is it possible somehow to get the coupe roof for the car? Since this one is detachable, couldn't we just remove this and bolt the coupe one on??
Tks chettA!
Reg. the coupe' roof, nope although they are available abroad (albeit not as commonly as the saloon roofs as coupe's were made only for a few years) importing one is too much of a hassle and would probably turn out expensive, maybe costing as much as a Herald over here!
Besides, even if you do get one, I wouldnt think it possible to fit it onto a saloon bodyshell, as the rear body tub of the Coupe' is very much different, ie. "broader" than that of the saloon (see pics.), to accomodate the shorter coupe' roof:
Attached Thumbnails
Standard cars in India-coupe.jpg  

Standard cars in India-saloon_rear.jpg  

Old 11th May 2008, 09:37   #357
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gta View Post
I have never seen that roof ever!! That a sweet Coupe!! Also, Isnt the Green and white the Same color combo that is on Karls Standard 10?
I think the green part is supposed to be the same (although Karl's pennant got painted in a lighter shade along the way) but the white on pennants is actually off-white.
Old 11th May 2008, 10:01   #358
BHPian

Dear Stanher,
The Green & white Herald shown is a 948 cc Coupe.In India, (Madras) there was one such with the British High Commission. Probably scrapped by now.The green is not the right shade. The correct shade for Herald was Litchfield Green/Sebring white.Khodays of Bangalore have a herald of this combination.Penant green was Apple green & Beach white.
Ananth
Old 11th May 2008, 12:13   #359
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.S.ANANTH View Post
Dear Stanher,
The Green & white Herald shown is a 948 cc Coupe.In India, (Madras) there was one such with the British High Commission. Probably scrapped by now.The green is not the right shade. The correct shade for Herald was Litchfield Green/Sebring white.Khodays of Bangalore have a herald of this combination.Penant green was Apple green & Beach white.
Ananth
The green & white coupe' I posted above is certainly not in India, I saved it from the Triumph Sports Six club northen Ireland website (unable to find it now)
Yes you're right, the herald shade was known as Litchfield green, and the white as Sebring white.
Pity to know about the British Commission car!

As for the khoday's Herald, it certainly must be an ex-Dharampur Raja Herald, and as is the case with all the other cars from that stable it must in immaculate condition, with unbelievably low-mileage and original white-wall tyres.....sighhhh!
Old 14th May 2008, 20:12   #360
Distinguished - BHPian

Here's a Standard companion I saw today at the scrappers'...looks quite complete except for the 2 rear door handles (& most of the inner ones) plus the dash switches, original rearview mirror and of course the rear hatch glass (which I'm sure can be far more easily fabricated.)
That roof carrier looks like a period accessory btw. The sunvisor
doesnt seem to be though.

Car sure needs a lotta work bodily although surprisingly there's no major rust on the chassis/flooring!

Although I'm not buying it until I'm sure it has the papers! In case anyone else is interested in it I'm sure they'd go by the same way.

'did pay just 2k as an advance as well as in case it has no papers & (regrettably) ends up bieng broken I can pick up as many parts I want for that amount. Thats how things stand now.

Incidentally I do recall Behram telling me that he had often seen a blue companion standing by the roadside somewhere near the old airport road that goes towards Balanagar/HAL, on his several trips to hyderabad.

And the scrapguy told me he had the car picked up from somewhere near that area itself. 'wonder if it could be the same one? Behram would be able to confirm.
Attached Thumbnails
Standard cars in India-img_0595.jpg  

Standard cars in India-img_0604.jpg  

Standard cars in India-img_0598.jpg  

Standard cars in India-img_0599.jpg  

Standard cars in India-img_0600.jpg  

Standard cars in India-img_0602.jpg  

Standard cars in India-img_0603.jpg  

Standard cars in India-img_0605.jpg  

Standard cars in India-img_0609.jpg  

Standard cars in India-img_0611.jpg  

Last edited by Stanher : 14th May 2008 at 20:16.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks