Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2008, 21:35   #301
BHPian

The price quoted is 50K. I am sure this negotiable. The car is at a far away place;about 60kms from my place. It will take a half day or more & I wonder if I'll have the time to go over to see the car. Can I pm the telephone number of the seller?
Old 1st April 2008, 21:48   #302
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.S.ANANTH View Post
The price quoted is 50K. I am sure this negotiable. The car is at a far away place;about 60kms from my place. It will take a half day or more & I wonder if I'll have the time to go over to see the car. Can I pm the telephone number of the seller?
Has he supplied you with any photographs? If not, ask him to share them with us, rather than you taking the trouble of going there.
Old 2nd April 2008, 11:12   #303
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.S.ANANTH View Post
My old parts dealer in Chennai informed me that there is a good Standard Penant for sale.I have not seen the car. Will any one be interested?

This sounds wierd but true- the other night I had a dream in which I saw what seemed to be the same car in Chennai- it was a chocolate brown and one thing I can best remember about it is that it had all the side-trims intact!
Old 2nd April 2008, 11:31   #304
BHPian

My family used to own a standard herald with a beautiful dual color combo. Grey upper part of the cabin and an avacado light green at the lower half. It was one hell of a looker. But it was sold off during 2000 owing to high maintanence cost and it was a guzzler and it being driven on ooty roads didnt help much(I remember numerous occasion when the car stalled and we had to push it down hill to a garage or a fuel station). I guess we sold it for 6000 K The car is still in ooty and those from ooty can see it parked in around shinkoz near mohans supermarket . Now i wish we had kept the car.
Old 2nd April 2008, 13:36   #305
BHPian

Karl,these are "pudhupet" guys-old part dealers.This guy has a few cars ,some of which he lends for film shooting. He has this Penant and a Ford Consul for sale.In any case, I will ask him for photos
Old 2nd April 2008, 20:35   #306
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
My family used to own a standard herald with a beautiful dual color combo. Grey upper part of the cabin and an avacado light green at the lower half. . I guess we sold it for 6000 K The car is still in ooty and those from ooty can see it parked in around shinkoz near mohans supermarket . Now i wish we had kept the car.
Why not try & make your wish come true- buy back the car if you can.
Old 2nd April 2008, 21:48   #307
Distinguished - BHPian

'visited this garage in Secunderabad today, intending to get my Herald done up here. And happened to notice this lovely early mk1 Herald that has come for touch-up there. Although it does have a few bits missing/changed, namely the petrol tank opening (done on many Heralds) and the 90s Amby steering wheel!!
My mech. was so delighted to see a nice Herald, he actually kissed this car on the roof!
Also inside the garage was this red mark2 (although curiously it has the mk1 herald roof badges fitted) under restoration that belongs to the garage owner. I remember seeing this car around in Secunderabad a couple of times many years ago. It didnt have any hubcaps even then.
Also seen is a Standard Super 10, although those mods it has for the maruti-van(?) tail-lamps dont make too happy!
Attached Thumbnails
Standard cars in India-mk1.jpg  

Standard cars in India-mk102.jpg  

Standard cars in India-mk103.jpg  

Standard cars in India-img_0501.jpg  

Last edited by Stanher : 2nd April 2008 at 21:57.
Old 2nd April 2008, 22:17   #308
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
'visited this garage in Secunderabad today, intending to get my Herald done up here.

Also inside the garage was this red mark2 (although curiously it has the mk1 herald roof badges fitted) under restoration that belongs to the garage owner.
Nice pics, though Mark 2s also featured 'Herald' script roof badges.
Old 2nd April 2008, 22:22   #309
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Nice pics, though Mark 2s also featured 'Herald' script roof badges.
Thanks.
Only the earliest (which would be those that were manufactured at the end of 1965) of the mk2s had those badges- they never appeared on the subsequent models- and this is the model with the non-recessed bootlid (which would be around 1967). So it originally wouldnt have come with the roof badges.

Last edited by Stanher : 2nd April 2008 at 22:24.
Old 2nd April 2008, 22:43   #310

THE STANDARD HERALD

It is funny how some makes of cars, much despised when they were available, are now considered to be desirable to own, The Standard Herald was indeed a good car when it was first introduced in 1959(1959 models can be identified easily, as they have a handle in the middle of the bonnet) they had innovative features for their time, such as a central spine chassis, with outriggers on which the body was bolted to, a primitive independent rear suspension, a roof that was bolted on to the body by just 4 bolts (making it easy for enthusiasts to make it into a convertible), a front suspension and steering that was truly remarkable as the car could turn it its own length, etc.But there was a steady deterioration in the build quality as the years went by, some of the later models were so badly built that you could see rust on the trim in the showroom itself! The company then made a 4 door version called the Gazelle, and also a few station wagons with part fibreglass bodies that were so crude to look at that hardly a few were sold. Quite a few were raced in the 60's and 70's, and with success. However, the build standards of the Standard continued to sink furthur, the Standard Motors in Madras even converted the swing rear axle type to a conventional one(from the Standard 10) and modified the bonnet from the front hinged type to a conventional type, these mods did serve to make the car rattle free, but it was too late to save the car, a case of "too little too late"
Old 2nd April 2008, 23:29   #311
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiaman View Post
The Standard Herald was indeed a good car when it was first introduced in 1959(1959 models can be identified easily, as they have a handle in the middle of the bonnet)
Thanks for the detailed info.- although I'mquite sure the Herald was introduced in late 1960 in India.
There is one such Herald with the handle on the bonnet, a Dec. 1960 model, still said tove been owned by the first owner from day one! atleast when I was sent the pics. 3-4 years ago:

Oldest known Herald in India! pictures from classic cars photos on webshots

Quote:
The company then made a 4 door version called the Gazelle, and also a few station wagons with part fibreglass bodies that were so crude to look at that hardly a few were sold.
Actually, contrary to the popular opinion, the Gazel was by all means, a separate model and not the 4-door version of the Herald- the 4-door Herald was called the mark3 and made in the late 60s thru 1970-71. The station wagon (which carried its name from the standard 10 wagon- companion) was made simultaneously, and having a couple of these in the 'flesh' I wouldnt say it was a bad-looker, but for the rear hatch window!
More details/pics. can be found here:

Austin Rover Online

Quote:
the Standard Motors in Madras even converted the swing rear axle type to a conventional one(from the Standard 10) and modified the bonnet from the front hinged type to a conventional type, these mods did serve to make the car rattle free, but it was too late to save the car, a case of "too little too late"
After the Herlad line-up was discontinued the Gazel- a new indegenous car- was designed, with the different bodystyle and rear axle. Later models had the conventional bonnets and a few cosmetic changes.
There was a station-wagon version in this also albeit much too short-lived.
Old 3rd April 2008, 10:26   #312
BHPian

Quote:
Why not try & make your wish come true- buy back the car if you can.
Already tried that but he isnt willing to part with it.
Old 3rd April 2008, 13:05   #313
BHPian

So you eat,drink & DREAM Cars !!
Old 4th April 2008, 15:16   #314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Actually, contrary to the popular opinion, the Gazel was by all means, a separate model and not the 4-door version of the Herald- the 4-door Herald was called the mark3 and made in the late 60s thru 1970-71.

After the Herlad line-up was discontinued the Gazel- a new indegenous car- was designed, with the different bodystyle and rear axle. Later models had the conventional bonnets and a few cosmetic changes.
There was a station-wagon version in this also albeit much too short-lived.
Gazel appeared around 1974. It had much higher ground clearance and later models even had front opening bonnet. Looked nice. I think it deserved to sell more.
Old 4th April 2008, 15:28   #315
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
Gazel appeared around 1974. It had much higher ground clearance and later models even had front opening bonnet. Looked nice. I think it deserved to sell more.
The front opening bonnet is indeed what appeared in 1974 (our Gazel is from that year) but the initial ones with the bonnet opening the same way as Heralds were made for atleast 2 years before that.
Karl had posted pics. of one in pune that was Grey in colour, later chopped into a baaraat band vehicle!

Most Viewed