Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2014, 10:43   #1726
BANNED

Re: Standard cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
So we could conclude that it could've originally been a Standard Herald mk3 Companion (4-door estate/station wagon) later heavily modified:

Attachment 1272460
Yes, it could have been a mk3 companion or a mk3 itself.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2014, 17:14   #1727
Distinguished - BHPian

Does anyone have any reference images of what the light assemblies were like in the Mark 2 Heralds?

Besides the main headlamps there is an orange parking lamp (seem to be the Lucas L691 design). To the side of the park lamp will be the side indicator - I think they had white lenses, not sure. Does anyone have any images of the originals, or a description from memory?

Standard cars in India-01.jpg

Standard cars in India-02.jpg
Old 21st August 2014, 00:47   #1728
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Does anyone have any reference images of what the light assemblies were like in the Mark 2 Heralds?

Besides the main headlamps there is an orange parking lamp (seem to be the Lucas L691 design). To the side of the park lamp will be the side indicator - I think they had white lenses, not sure. Does anyone have any images of the originals, or a description from memory?
Karl,

The park lamp is White Plastic thing shaped like a thimble - It had three small knob like things place at 120 Deg intervals around it.

This picture in TBHP seem to be having the light intact. See if you can search out the thread/image

Name:  untitled.png
Views: 1117
Size:  100.1 KB

The metal plate was anodized aluminium piece, not black as in the picture you have put.

Best Regards & Drive Safe

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 21st August 2014 at 00:48.
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2014, 09:32   #1729
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
The park lamp is White Plastic thing shaped like a thimble - It had three small knob like things place at 120 Deg intervals around it.

This picture in TBHP seem to be having the light intact. See if you can search out the thread/image
Thanks - I too had seen this as the only probable original assembly as reference, though the picture is not clear enough. It was at an event in Ooty.

Standard cars in India-herald01.jpg

Alas, now the car appears in events at Bangalore with the later park light/indictor combination assembly from the Mark 3.

Standard cars in India-standard03.jpg

Quote:
The metal plate was anodized aluminium piece, not black as in the picture you have put.
Thanks, I'll have this corrected.
Old 21st August 2014, 12:06   #1730
BHPian

Quote:

Hi Karl!
These pictures of my car should put your confusion to rest.

Standard cars in India-img_5530.jpg

Standard cars in India-img_5531.jpg

The headlamps are followed by clear lens side lamps, then, amber lens turn indicators.
Shwetank is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st August 2014, 12:29   #1731
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shwetank View Post
Hi Karl!
Quite the contrary - I am much more confused now!

I have never seen clear lens parking lamps, I've only seen orange ones (on very original cars and older photos, so unlikely that they ALL were changed). Whenever possible can you share a more detailed image of the combination?

That aside, sourcing the indicators should be next to impossible for me. What alternative units do you think I can fix? I thought Fiat Delight ones would look close and period. Else the small Fiat Uno units, though they have no ring.
Old 21st August 2014, 12:59   #1732
BHPian

Quote:
Whenever possible can you share a more detailed image of the combination?
Standard cars in India-dscn5211.jpg

Quote:
That aside, sourcing the indicators should be next to impossible for me. What alternative units do you think I can fix?
How about the side lamps from the Royal Enfield? Would they be too small?

Last edited by Shwetank : 21st August 2014 at 13:00. Reason: Syntax error
Old 21st August 2014, 13:39   #1733
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
How about the side lamps from the Royal Enfield? Would they be too small?
I did think of them and waiting for a set to see how much smaller they are (I'm sure they will look too small and out of place). Plus the ring is offset for mounting screws. Lets see.
Old 21st August 2014, 16:27   #1734
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I did think of them and waiting for a set to see how much smaller they are (I'm sure they will look too small and out of place). Plus the ring is offset for mounting screws. Lets see.
Wrong shape as well - RE ones are 'conical' while the Herald ones were kind of cylindrical in shape.

Karl do you have the small rings intact with you ?

The ones in Shwetank's car look to be orange in colour - OEM was white/Clear

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 21st August 2014 at 16:29.
Old 21st August 2014, 16:30   #1735
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Wrong shape as well - RE ones are 'conical' while the Herald ones were kind of cylindrical in shape.

Karl do you have the small rings intact with you ?

The ones in Shwetank's car look to be orange in colour - OEM was white/Clear

Ram
I guess one ring is in place (see the picture I had uploaded). Probably the correct one?
Old 21st August 2014, 16:39   #1736
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I guess one ring is in place (see the picture I had uploaded). Probably the correct one?
Yes it looks like the correct one (it should have one screw in it as well). May be we can try some jugad, if need be - like a glass bottle of the correct diametre (medicine bttles) you can get it cut (from bottom end) and glue/cement it to the ring - then you can have a functional cover.

May the "restore gurus" have a better idea (like creating mould from Shwetanks one and getting it made in fiber glass or pet).

My Two bits

Ram
Old 21st August 2014, 17:04   #1737
BHPian

Quote:
Perhaps, Standard (India) used this thimble shaped lens that was originally used by Triumph in the UK on early vitesse's to comply with the mandatory amber coloured indicator lens regulation (in the UK)?
The front parking/indicator assembly on these cars would have a clear bulb for parking, and another clear bulb covered with this amber thimble lens, and the entire assembly would be covered with the clear Lucas 584 lens and rim.

Later cars, I think, came with a clear bulb for parking and an amber bulb for the indicator i.e no thimble lens.

If it is in fact the same design, and if Standard brought in an initial set of UK spec lenses (presumably before indian production of the same lens commenced) then they would all have been amber, and perhaps some of these imported amber lenses made it to early production Standard Mk2's (like in Shwetank's pic)

Perhaps the indigenously manufactured versions of the same thimble design were clear, since there were no lens colour regulations in India?

All speculation, of course, and open to correction.

Standard cars in India-vitesseamberlens.jpg
Standard cars in India-vitesseamberlens2.jpg

Last edited by thebulletboy : 21st August 2014 at 17:07.
thebulletboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2014, 17:33   #1738
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebulletboy View Post
Perhaps, Standard (India) used this thimble shaped lens that was originally used by Triumph in the UK on early vitesse's to comply with the mandatory amber coloured indicator lens regulation (in the UK)?
The front parking/indicator assembly on these cars would have a clear bulb for parking, and another clear bulb covered with this amber thimble lens, and the entire assembly would be covered with the clear Lucas 584 lens and rim.

Perhaps the indigenously manufactured versions of the same thimble design were clear, since there were no lens colour regulations in India?

All speculation, of course, and open to correction.
In Indian version 1968 Model MK 2 the Parking Light Lense (Thimble) was Clear. Indicator Lense (Middle one) was Amber and HL was clear. As in MDN 7044 pic below whilst it was "blue"

Indian Mark 1 did not have any thimble light at all. The Rectangular Clear had a double filament bulb, one PL and other being the Flasher

India also started with indicator being amber long ago, in the rear side. If I am not mistaken it was manadatory. Incidentaly Standard Herald MK 2 was I think was the 1st Indian production to come out with Amber Front Indicator, to the best of my knowledge

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 21st August 2014 at 17:38.
r_nairtvm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2014, 22:16   #1739
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Karl!
As usual, great to see pics. of your family cars!

- any more pics.?? Especially of the mk1 Herald behind?

Oh, and as for the indicator/sidelight lens colours, I am sure twas the other way round- parking lights were amber, the smaller ones on the extreme ends white.

Last edited by Stanher : 21st August 2014 at 22:19.
Old 21st August 2014, 23:12   #1740
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
As usual, great to see pics. of your family cars!

- any more pics.?? Especially of the mk1 Herald behind?

Oh, and as for the indicator/sidelight lens colours, I am sure twas the other way round- parking lights were amber, the smaller ones on the extreme ends white.
Do BHPians ever miss anything automotive? I should have known the Mk1 wouldn't be missed. I'll try and locate more pictures of that. Personally, the original design appealed more to me than the later variants.

Regarding the lens colours, I'm sure we'll get to hear something from thebulletboy soon. He's really working at sorting this thing out.
Shwetank is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks