Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2014, 13:41   #1651
BHPian

Re: Standard cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Hi Karl,

This car belongs to Mr.Y.M.N.Murthy, a very well known humorist, he is the brother of the person featured in the picture and was seen driving it around quite often till a couple of years ago, now in his late eighties, he says he cant drive it around with the traffic, but still drives a smaller car himself. This car is still cleaned and started regularly. The man is extremely fond of this car and his passion shows in the way it is still maintained.

Regards,

Srinand.
srinand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2014, 21:43   #1652
BHPian

A good 1963 Standard herald, convertible, with the hard roof available, seen 2 owners, all documents up to date, might come up for sale. The owner being passionate, still undecided. Interested? PM me
Old 18th March 2014, 14:22   #1653
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.S.ANANTH View Post
A good 1963 Standard herald, convertible, with the hard roof available, seen 2 owners, all documents up to date, might come up for sale. The owner being passionate, still undecided. Interested? PM me
to the best of my knowledge there was never a convertible version of the standard herald in INDIA,please correct me if my info is wrong
Old 18th March 2014, 21:16   #1654
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
to the best of my knowledge there was never a convertible version of the standard herald in INDIA,please correct me if my info is wrong
Standard motors did supply a few convertibles against orders
Old 19th March 2014, 00:34   #1655
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A good 1963 Standard herald, convertible, with the hard roof available,
Quote:
Quote:
Standard motors did supply a few convertibles against orders
Yes, I agree that a few were made to order- probably for 'special' customers, and directly supplied from the factory too maybe. But there would have been very few all in all I'm sure, though no idea of the exact number. I've seen one such 'properly' made convertible, an early Herald, in this popular 60s Tamil movie:

I've been wondering if you or anyone from Madras have any info. on this car's present status?

However, the convertible which you mentioned above is said to have the hard roof also available according to you, so it may most likely have been an owner-conversion rather than one supplied by Standard Motors?

Last edited by Stanher : 19th March 2014 at 00:35.
Stanher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2014, 17:47   #1656
BANNED

Quote:
Standard herald came with the two door model in which removing the hard top was very easy.There were two bolts on the front windshield and two below the rear glass.Unscrew them and the hard top would come off.It was good fun to drive it topless.Many army officers who owned these cars kept them in the open form.
I have two cars in which the top has been removed and stored.Fixing it does'nt take more than 10 minutes.
Now there is a soft top available in the UK for these cars to make them true convertibles.
hps aulakh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2014, 01:27   #1657
BHPian

A Triumph Herald barn find which is quite rare in USA - http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/4372083086.html. This one looks almost complete.
josejoseph is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2014, 23:51   #1658
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hps aulakh View Post
Standard herald came with the two door model in which removing the hard top was very easy.There were two bolts on the front windshield and two below the rear glass.Unscrew them and the hard top would come off.
I have two cars in which the top has been removed and stored.Fixing it does'nt take more than 10 minutes.
Now there is a soft top available in the UK for these cars to make them true convertibles.
The soft top from the UK Heralds would not fit the Indian Herald body unless extensive modification has been made to the rear part of the body. The UK Herald convertibles came with a smaller rear seat area and a cavity for the soft top to 'sit' down inside when opened and drawn back. The Indian Heralds, being saloons, do not have this provision for the soft top. And the UK convertibles do not have provision for the hard top/roof:

http://www.triumph-herald.com/y11781cv.jpg

http://www.selfdriveclassics.co.uk/i...s/triumph1.jpg

Meanwhile, came across something rather interesting- a 3D model of a Standard Gazel:

http://humster3d.com/2014/02/28/standard-gazel-1971/

http://car-from-uk.com/ebay/carphoto.../ebay60998.jpg

Last edited by Stanher : 26th March 2014 at 23:58.
Stanher is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th March 2014, 20:51   #1659
BANNED

Standard Motors came out with a one-off soft top Gazel for the use of the then CM of Tamilnadu. It was a light blue colour and the soft top was black. Since the only other cars available were Fiats and Ambys this was something different. It looked quite incongruous as the Gazel didn't have the smooth lines of the Herald. I don't think the CM ever used the car. Anyway for the record, Standard Motors did make one soft-top Gazel.

Last edited by VeyronSuperSprt : 27th March 2014 at 20:54.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2014, 14:26   #1660
BANNED

Hi Shyam, is there any way of raising the height in the Herald.It is too low and the floor gets scrapped on high speed breakers.
Regards,
Old 28th March 2014, 22:29   #1661
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
Standard Motors came out with a one-off soft top Gazel for the use of the then CM of Tamilnadu.
Standard Motors did make one soft-top Gazel.
That's interesting to know! Would there be any pics. of this car existing anywhere?

Quote:
Hi Shyam, is there any way of raising the height in the Herald.It is too low and the floor gets scrapped on high speed breakers.
Firstly sir, if I may point out, I understand you mean the floor gets SCRAPED (only one 'P'); I get rather uncomfortable on reading words like "scrapped" when used with Heralds!

You can get the height of the front coil springs raised by an inch or so, whenever you get the front suspension opened up; and also the rear leaf spring (kamaan patti as its called here) though that will cause more positive camber on the rear wheels, if you're ok with that.
Strangely, I actually didn't like my Herald being a bit 'higher' so I had the front coil spring height either side reduced by an inch!
Old 29th March 2014, 09:30   #1662
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
That's interesting to know! Would there be any pics. of this car existing anywhere?
Not that I know of unless Union Motors retained pics of unique cars that they did sell.

Quote:
is there any way of raising the height in the Herald.It is too low and the floor gets scrapped on high speed breakers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
You can get the height of the front coil springs raised by an inch or so, whenever you get the front suspension opened up; and also the rear leaf spring (kamaan patti as its called here) though that will cause more positive camber on the rear wheels, if you're ok with that.
Strangely, I actually didn't like my Herald being a bit 'higher' so I had the front coil spring height either side reduced by an inch!
The reason for your underbody scraping would be either weak front shocks or weak coil springs. With the original springs and shocks the Herald will not scrape its floor on speed breakers as it had a fairly good clearance even though it appeared low slung. It would not be advisable to raise the height of the front coil springs as that would reduce shock absorber travel leading to uncomfortable thuds when it bottoms out. The rear springs also would not need attention unless there is a reduction in the camber angle on either side. You could also check whether the rear shocks are worn.

Last edited by VeyronSuperSprt : 29th March 2014 at 09:32.
Old 29th March 2014, 15:11   #1663

Quote:
Not that I know of unless Union Motors retained pics of unique cars that they did sell.

The reason for your underbody scraping would be either weak front shocks or weak coil springs. With the original springs and shocks the Herald will not scrape its floor on speed breakers as it had a fairly good clearance even though it appeared low slung. It would not be advisable to raise the height of the front coil springs as that would reduce shock absorber travel leading to uncomfortable thuds when it bottoms out. The rear springs also would not need attention unless there is a reduction in the camber angle on either side. You could also check whether the rear shocks are worn.
I agree with the view. My herald does not scrape the speedbreaker, even when fully loaded.
Ground clearance appears low, but that's deceptive. I have had no problems at all.

Regards.
Dr.Ajit Kanbur
Ajit Kanbur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2014, 16:37   #1664
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It would not be advisable to raise the height of the front coil springs as that would reduce shock absorber travel leading to uncomfortable thuds when it bottoms out.
The front springs of my car were found to have been raised by an inch, when I had bought it.
Old 29th March 2014, 19:03   #1665
BANNED

Shyam, thanks for pointing out the error. The low height has not been a problem as such,it happened only on speed breaker which did not have the proper slope.
Anyway I shall not fiddle with the suspension as the shockers have been replaced recently.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks